Janet's Log - stardate 2013

Janet

I know that really - I was being a bit tongue in cheek.   I have actually read over the last few years - and really enjoyed (especially the latter) The Day of the Triffids (read this at school too), The Midwich Cuckoos and The War of the Worlds.

All fantastic books :smile:  

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

028-2013-Jun-31-OliverTwist_zps23798499.

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

The ‘blurb’
The story of the orphan Oliver, who runs away from the workhouse only to be taken in by a den of thieves, shocked readers when it was first published. Dickens's tale of childhood innocence beset by evil depicts the dark criminal underworld of a London peopled by vivid and memorable characters - the arch-villain Fagin, the artful Dodger, the menacing Bill Sikes and the prostitute Nancy. Combining elements of Gothic Romance, the Newgate Novel and popular melodrama, in Oliver Twist Dickens created an entirely new kind of fiction, scathing in its indictment of a cruel society, and pervaded by an unforgettable sense of threat and mystery.

With the exception of A Christmas Carol, which I read every year, I have never read any Dickens, so I was determined that 2013 was definitely the year I would read at least one! I decided to start with Oliver Twist as I was familiar with the fundamental story. I was quite concerned about the ‘wordiness’ of Dickens but I soon relaxed into the writing (which was actually easy to follow, despite my worries!) and I really, really enjoyed it.

I think most people are familiar with the basic story of Oliver - the young orphan, born illegitimately and sent to live in the workhouse - who runs away and gets in with Fagin’s gang - but there is so much more to the story than this. And of course, Dickens creates characters that come alive, and paints a vivid picture of London life.

I did find it hard to read Dickens’ constant referrals of Fagin as ‘the Jew’. I know that this language was more acceptable when Dickens was writing than it is now, and is in a similar vein to the way I feel about reading the word ‘nigger’ in texts like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – it definitely shouldn’t be censored or changed – but I think most readers would find it hard to stomach the same being written today. I was rather surprised at Fagin’s characterisation – of course, in the film Oliver! he’s portrayed as a loveable rogue! I knew from the Roman Polanski version that the book would be much darker than Lionel Bart’s version – and of course the musical was never going to be true to the book, but Fagin’s depiction just didn’t sit well with me, despite, as I’ve said, me understanding that it was ‘of its time’. However, it didn’t spoil my enjoyment of this wonderful book and Oliver Twist has definitely whet my appetite for more Dickens!

Just as an aside, In 1856, Dickens bought a house in Higham, Kent called Gad’s Hill and lived there until his death in 1870. I lived in Higham too, for nearly 22 years until I moved away when I got married. Gad’s Hill is now a public girls’ school and isn’t generally open to the public, although they did have an open weekend last year for the centenary. I’d love to visit it!

The paperback is 415 pages long and is published by Vintage. It was first published in 1838. The ISBN number is 9780099511939.

5/5 (I loved it)

(Finished 09 June 2013)

Great review of Oliver Janet :) It's one of the few Dickens books I haven't read yet (I say few but now I think about it the unread outnumbers the read :blush2:) I know it from the musical mostly though did know that Fagin is quite a different creature in the book. There was a drama on TV several years ago (written by Alan Bleasdale) and I saw that too so have a general idea but there's always so much else to read about in a Dickens novel than can ever be covered by a drama/film.

Gad's Hill would be a great place to look around .. what I like about it is that, as a young man, and completely down on his luck, Dickens used to pass it and dream of living there (I feel a bit tentative writing that .. as if the QI team will be pressing their misconception buzzer  :D .. it might well be apocryphal but I've always read it in his biogs). It's not often you get to make your own dreams come true.

What a fierce looking cover that is :D 

Thanks, Kay.  :)

I believe that's true about him looking wistfully at the house - and if it isn't, well... I'm happy to believe it is!  :D

Some of the covers of this set are bleak (haha!) - I quite like this one.   :)

I think I might try Great Expectations as my next Dickens (not now, but when I get round to my next one) as I'm also familiar with the basic story of that one.  It might help.  :)

You've inspired me to pick up a Christmas Carol when we get closer to December. Glad you enjoyed Oliver Twist! One day, I might have to pick up a Dickens I'm unfamiliar with!

That's a great review of Oliver Twist! I plan to read it sometime soonish, I've been putting it off for quite some time. I should also read A Christmas Carol sometime (when it's closer to Christmas), my book contains that story and some other short stories by Charles Dickens, I don't know which ones. If you do read Great Expectations soon, I look forward to see your review!

I know some people don't rate ACC, but I love it - and it really puts me in the Christmas mood!  :D

I really enjoyed ACC when i read it for the first time last December i think it's a good book to choose if your not sure if Dickens is going to be your thing.

Great review of Oliver Twist Janet , i think this is going to be my next Dickens book  :D

I'm sorry I missed your post, Kidsmum.  I do hope you enjoy Oliver Twist  when you get round to it. :)

I've finished two 'challenge' books since I last posted.

Yesterday I finished Scenes from Village Life by Amos Oz, which was for Israel.  I enjoyed it but am struggling at the moment to write a review for it.    :blush:

Today I read The BFG by Roald Dahl for my Dahl challenge.  I have 9 books left for that challenge (which does not include his titles for adults).  Thoughts on this to follow at some stage too.

I don't know what to try next.  I want to read an Austen (I've only read Pride and Prejudice) - I might try Mansfield Park?

• 2 weeks later...

BOOK CHALLENGES 2013

I will be continuing with my World Challenge in 2013 - I am aiming to read a minimum of 3 from this challenge - 5 read

Not a challenge, but I intend to read a minimum of 3 Classics (to include 1 Dickens) - 3 read + 1 Dickens!  :D

I've achieved these personal challenges for 2013.  I'm really pleased to have read a Dickens novel!  

Today I finished Northanger Abbey which I very much enjoyed.  I have a BBC film version which I've never watched, so I will try that at some stage and see what I think!

Good job, Janet :)!

I really should read more classics, however the past while I've been feeling increasingly stressed and don't think I could handle doing any kind of book challenge (next to my university work). I'm just reading what I feel like reading. I might challenge myself in the future, though, maybe.

Glad to hear you liked Northanger Abbey! Which book will you read next?

Which adaptation is it Janet? .. I've only seen one (Peter Firth/Katharine Schlesinger) and found it a bit odd. It didn't capture the humour enough for me and went more for the sinister. I love Northanger Abbey .. it's one of my favourite Austen's :)

You've done so well with your personal reading challenges .. well done :clapping: 

Good job, Janet :)!

I really should read more classics, however the past while I've been feeling increasingly stressed and don't think I could handle doing any kind of book challenge (next to my university work). I'm just reading what I feel like reading. I might challenge myself in the future, though, maybe.

Glad to hear you liked Northanger Abbey! Which book will you read next?

Thanks, Athena.  :):hug: I struggled to read much when I did one A level a few years ago, so I'm not surprised you want to read stuff you really fancy. :)

I'm not sure what to read next.  I think I might start my next Book Club read - The Night Circus:)

Which adaptation is it Janet? .. I've only seen one (Peter Firth/Katharine Schlesinger) and found it a bit odd. It didn't capture the humour enough for me and went more for the sinister. I love Northanger Abbey .. it's one of my favourite Austen's :)

You've done so well with your personal reading challenges .. well done :clapping: 

It was the ITV version (not BBC as I initially thought) from 2007 - it stars a lot of people I've never heard of, including Felicity Jones, JJ Feild, Carey Mulligan and Hugh O'Conor!  :lol:  

It wasn't bad - but the ending was rushed - and inaccurate with quite a lot of plot missing - but I think it was only 90 minutes long, so that's hardly surprising. 

Thanks, Kay.  :)  :hug:

It was the ITV version (not BBC as I initially thought) from 2007 - it stars a lot of people I've never heard of, including Felicity Jones, JJ Feild, Carey Mulligan and Hugh O'Conor!  :lol:  

It wasn't bad - but the ending was rushed - and inaccurate with quite a lot of plot missing - but I think it was only 90 minutes long, so that's hardly surprising.

That's the only adaptation of the book I actually like. All the others I've seen have picked up on the Gothic elements and tried to make it dark and brooding, and almost a horror story, when it isn't like that at all. It think you're right about the ending, but on the whole, it's not too bad, but then I am a fan of both Felicity Jones and Carey Mulligan. JJ Feild was also in the BBC adaptation of The Ruby in the Smoke, so I knew him from that, and I thought he made a good Tilney.

Edited by chesilbeach

Ahhh .. I've not seen that one, I'll look out for it .. thanks Janet  :) Carey's hit the bigtime now .. she's just starred opposite Leonardo DiCaprio in The Great Gatsby and was in Never Let Me Go and An Education (also in Bleak House which I loved her in and played a Bennet sister in the Keira Knightley P&P ... but I try not to think about that version :blush2:) I only know Felicity from Cemetery Junction but I've not heard of the others before.

That's the only adaptation of the book I actually like. All the others I've seen have picked up on the Gothic elements and tried to make it dark and brooding, and almost a horror story, when it isn't like that at all. It think you're right about the ending, but on the whole, it's not too bad, but then I am a fan of both Felicity Jones and Carey Mulligan. JJ Feild was also in the BBC adaptation of The Ruby in the Smoke, so I knew him from that, and I thought he made a good Tilney.

I didn't know the name but I had seen him in the The Ruby in the Smoke and The Shadow in the North - and also in the remake of The Railway Children (one of my fave children's books!) where he played Jim.  I did enjoy the adaptation of Northanger Abbey, and will no doubt watch it again - it was just he ending that was a little disappointing!

Ahhh .. I've not seen that one, I'll look out for it .. thanks Janet  :) Carey's hit the bigtime now .. she's just starred opposite Leonardo DiCaprio in The Great Gatsby and was in Never Let Me Go and An Education (also in Bleak House which I loved her in and played a Bennet sister in the Keira Knightley P&P ... but I try not to think about that version :blush2:) I only know Felicity from Cemetery Junction but I've not heard of the others before.

I have seen the Keira version of P&P, but like you, I try to block it out! </Shudders>   I haven't seen any of those other films!

I'd say this adaptation is well worth looking out for though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I *nearly* bought it again for Kindle, but decided that would be silly!

I didn't read anything at all yesterday.  I'm going to start August's Reading Circle book - Summer by Edith Wharton - later today, I think.  :)

I'm not sure what to read next.  I think I might start my next Book Club read - The Night Circus:)

I enjoyed The Night Circus.  It's different, but interesting.