Janet's Log - stardate 2013

Janet

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I feel bad about it then I realise how much joy they give me (and how many Kylie must have :P )

Hey! :P (I'm not sure just how many I have, but it increased by five today.)

I've only read Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind, which I highly recommend. Zafon will be speaking at the Sydney Writers' Festival next month, and I'm hoping I'll get to see him. :)

011-2013-Mar-08-TheSeance_zps546c1b83.jp

The Seance by John Harwood

The ‘blurb’

London, 1881. Constance Langton lives in a gloomy home with a distant father and a grief-stricken mother; seeking refuge and  comfort, she secretly attends a séance which has tragic consequences. Left alone, her only legacy is a mysterious inheritance that will blight her life and take her deep into a world of apparitions, betrayal and blackmail, black-hearted villains - and murder...

After the death of her sister, Constance’s mother becomes depressed.  In an attempt to cheer her mother up, Constance arranges for them to attend a Séance in the hope of being able to speak to her dead sister from beyond the grave.   Instead, something terrible happens and Constance ends up alone.  She receives a bequest – an old house – but with it comes a warning – that Constance should “sell the Hall unseen; burn it to the ground and plough the earth with salt, if you will; but never live there….

The story unfolds told in turn by Constance, John Montague, a man charged with finding out ownership of the Hall and Eleanor Unwin, a woman with psychic abilities – their stories interweave until the story reaches its superb climax.

I loved this brilliant novel from the outset.  Harwood evokes the Victorian period with ease and the book feels as though it could have  been written during that period! It is very atmospheric and chilling at times.  I’ve seen the writing style compared to that of Wilkie Collins and the Brontë sisters and it certainly felt similar to works of the latter.  I’m definitely going to read his earlier book, The  Ghost Writer

Thanks again to Noll, who bought me this for Christmas.  :hug:  :xmassmile:

012-2013-Mar-12-Wonder_zpse0fcf81a.jpg

Wonder by R J Palacio

The ‘blurb’

'My name is August. I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.'

August 'Auggie' Pullman is ten years old, but unlike other ten-year-olds, he has never attended mainstream school, instead being home-schooled by his Mum.   The reason for this is because Auggie was born with a severe facial disfigurement.  However, things are going to change for Auggie – he’s going to start at  Beecher Prep – and that’s going to test him to the limit.

Told in turns by August, his sister Via, school colleagues Summer, Jack and Justin and an older girl - friend of Via’s called Miranda the book is the story of what  happens to Auggie and how he copes with becoming the centre of attention when really he’d often rather hide.  It’s a story of overcoming his disability and of fitting in and I really enjoyed it.

Coincidentally i was listening to a programme  on the radio the other day & a boy was talking about what it was like to be bullied at school because he had a facial disfigurement. He hadn't realised he was different from other people till he went to school & was singled out by the other children.

I've added this one to my wishlist. 

I've wishlisted this book, it sounds quite good!

I hope you enjoy it when you read it.  :)

The Seance is a great book, glad you enjoyed it. The Ghost Writer is fab too. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on that when you get to it.

I'm not meant to be buying any books this year* (I'm failing miserably at that!) so it probably won't be any time soon, but if I find it second-hand then I will definitely buy it! 

*I might have bought another book today, taking my total new books in 2013 to 33. :hide:   I need help! :thud:

I've been collecting John Wyndham books that have covers illustrated by Peter Lord, having come across the version of The Day of the Triffids that I read at school in a charity shop a few years ago.  I found another three over the past few years...

Wyndhambooks2_zpsf3863f17.jpg

Today Peter and I went to a National Trust property in Hampshire called Mottisfont and I found a copy of Web in their charity shop for £1.50.  :D

WyndhamWeb_zps64ea23f2.jpg

I love the covers! The Chrysalids cover is my favourite, and I like the Web cover too - minus the spiders.

The chyrsalids cover is the one that was on the version of the book we studied in school. It's bizarre because the cover has absolutely nothing to do with the story as I remember.

Edited by ~Andrea~

I love the covers! The Chrysalids cover is my favourite, and I like the Web cover too - minus the spiders.

I'm afraid I really dislike The Chrysalids cover, which unfortunately is the one I own (or do I? I can't remember if I've already replaced it).

The  chyrsalids cover is the one that was on the version of the book we studied in school. It's bizarre because the cover has absolutely nothing to do with the story as I remember.

An interesting mix of opinions there - thanks all.  :)

The reason I started collecting these particular covers is because I came across the copy of The Day of the Triffids and that was the same as the one I studied at school.  I really like it!  I wouldn't have bought any of the others because of their covers if I came across them first, but I love the fact that they match!   :)

013-2013-Mar-14-TheRuinsofTime_zps949d34

The Ruins of Time by Ben Woolfenden

The ‘blurb’

When his father retires from his job to devote himself to his obsessive research into his family history, Tom is by turns irritated and bored. But a mysterious story emerges about his grandfather, and after his father's death it is Tom who must piece the truth together.

This book was recommended by Kidsmum and being interested in genealogy I thought it sounded interesting. I was not disappointed.  :D

The house is quiet and Tom is on his way to bed when his father beckons Tom into his study to tell him about his latest discovery…  and so begins the tale of Tom’s ancestors, starting with a young boy in Lancashire in 1830.  Tom’s father recounts what he has discovered so far, and Tom can’t help but be drawn in.   When  Tom’s father finds an old sepia photograph and a letter in his own father, Elias’ handwriting, they are drawn into a mystery that they are determined to solve, and when Tom’s father dies, Tom carries on with the research, piecing together his family’s history and finding that the answer has been staring the family in the face for years!

Anyone who is interested in  genealogy or history will enjoy this cleverly constructed novel – the history is non-linear, but despite this is not at all confusing as past and present weave seamlessly, telling a brilliant story.   This was Woolfenden’s debut novel, which is sadly it’s out of print now.  Amazon have another book, A Masque available for pre-order, although there is no date for publication and no ‘blurb’! 

014-2013-Mar-18-TheHundred-Year-OldManWh

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared   by Jonas Jonasson

The ‘blurb’

It all starts on the one-hundredth birthday of Allan Karlsson. Sitting quietly in his room in an old people's home, he is waiting for the party he-never-wanted-anyway to begin. The mayor is going to be there. The press is going to be there. But, as it turns out, Allan is not...Slowly but surely Allan climbs out of his bedroom window, into the flowerbed (in his slippers) and makes his getaway. And so begins his picaresque and unlikely journey involving criminals, several murders, a  suitcase full of cash, and incompetent police. As his escapades unfold, we learn something of Allan's earlier life in which - remarkably - he helped to make the atom bomb, became friends with American presidents, Russian tyrants, and Chinese leaders, and was a participant behind the scenes in many key events of the  twentieth century. 

I wanted to love this book, I really did, especially as it was a gift.  I loved the sound of it – and the quirky title, of course!  However the book just didn’t live up to my expectations.  I don’t know if it’s to do with the translation (I suspect not!) but I just found it a real chore to read, especially the historical parts.  I don’t mind escapism and books would be dull if they just reflected the mundane aspects of everyday life, but the sections set in the past just seemed completely far-fetched that the whole thing felt absurd.  Looking at the reviews on Amazon after I finished the book, it seems that I’m in the minority. This book has huge numbers of favourable reviews but it just didn’t do it for me.   :(