Chaliepud's 2013 Reading Log

chaliepud

I'm trying to not have more than one or two books waiting on my Kobo in case I start to neglect my TBR shelf. At the moment I'm planning on saving the Kobo for reads that are either cheaper or not available as tree books. :)

That's exactly what I've gone and done :doh:

Got my new kindle couldn't wait to use it. Read a book on there and now regret buying a selection of paperback books before Xmas as I really don't want to read them in paperback. Just the thought of it fills me with dread lol :banghead:

I thought I'd continue to read paperback but I don't think I will now unless it's cheaper to do so.

Who would have thought it ay, me a kindle worshiper. I always said I wouldn't use one :o:blush2:

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, you didn't keep me up, I went to bed and finished My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece, so sad... :(

Should I look the book up on Amazon, would you recommend it?

A poll would be interesting definitely, I wonder if there re any closet kindle/kobo owners out there? :D

Closet Kindle/Kobo owners... :lol: They'd be all like, 'Don't nobody look at me now, I'm off to my room, please do not disturb me! :lurker: ' I think someone should make a new emoticon for the eReader readers, to replace this: :readingtwo:

Got my new kindle couldn't wait to use it. Read a book on there and now regret buying a selection of paperback books before Xmas as I really don't want to read them in paperback. Just the thought of it fills me with dread lol :banghead:

Awww :( Maybe you could try and sell them somewhere?

Who would have thought it ay, me a kindle worshiper. I always said I wouldn't use one :o:blush2:

How long had you been going 'I won't use one' before you gave in?

Ooshie

Go ahead and borrow your son's Kindle while he's away . I bet you'll either have to buy him a new one or yourself a new one when he comes home . They are so handy and easy to use . Another thing that I haven't seen anyone mention yet is the fact that you can change the print size,so as your eyes get older and possibly the smaller print in books will be harder for you to read,all you do is press a button,and Wa-La ! You have larger print to make easier reading for your tired eyes . :)

And don't forget,if your library system is like ours, you can browse the library online, put the books in your cart that you want,and Wa-La ! Save on gas money and book buying by choosing library books to download onto the Kindle .

Easy as pie . :)

All this kindle talk is making me more interested at looking into getting one! :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

And don't forget,if your library system is like ours, you can browse the library online, put the books in your cart that you want,and Wa-La ! Save on gas money and book buying by choosing library books to download onto the Kindle .

Easy as pie . :)

Kindles cannot be used to download library books in the UK as yet, I can with the kobo but there don't seem to be very many recent/good books on there and it isn't easy to navigate.. I should keep trying though as they say they're adding new books all the time..

All this kindle talk is making me more interested at looking into getting one! :giggle2:

One of the reasons I went for it is because I am not particularly interested in keeping all the books I read or creating a library, I generally just pass the books onto family or friends. I only keep books that I have loved, which in turn I lend to family or good friends. So there isn't really a need for me to only buy tree books... :)

2. Petals in the Ashes - Mary Hooper (January 4th) 4/5

Amazon synopsis

I could barely explain how much I wanted to go back to London, for I hardly understood myself. I'd hated the stinking city when we'd left, could hardly bear to think on its name, but now the plague had disappeared from the streets the people would be back, the theatres and shops would be open and we would find everything as cheery as it had been before. Hannah returns to her beloved London to re-open the sweetmeats shop with younger sister Anne. Londoners are reeling from the plague epidemic of the previous year, but Hannah and Anne are keen to start enjoying everything the bustling city has to offer. But this is 1666, and it has been prophesised that terrible things will happen, and on Pudding Lane, flames are raging through the bakery...Mary Hooper evokes with complete mastery the sights, sounds and terror of a London gripped by the ferocious and terrible Fire of London, engulfing everything in its path.

This was a worthy sequel to At the Sign of the Sugared Plum but even more dramatic and certainly more nerve wracking. It took me into the heart of the Great Fire of London and I could feel the heat as Hannah was desperately trying to escape the fire, find her sister and her new sweetheart. Written in a style suitable for young adults or adults and by turns exciting and informative.

3. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier (January 9th) 5/5

Amazon synopsis

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again . . .

Working as a lady's companion, the heroine of Rebecca learns her place. Life begins to look very bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Maxim de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proposal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man. And the memory of his dead wife Rebecca is forever kept alive by the forbidding Mrs Danvers . . .

Not since Jane Eyre has a heroine faced such difficulty with the Other Woman. An international bestseller that has never gone out of print, Rebecca is the haunting story of a young girl consumed by love and the struggle to find her identity.

I cannot believe I had this on my TBR shelf so long before reading! I'm so glad I listened to members on here and set to reading it early in the new year.. Within a page or two I was hooked, it was a brilliant idea on Du Maurier's part to give a glimpse of the ending in the first chapter to intrigue the reader, I spent the first third of the book convinced I knew what was going on and how it would end but it turned out I knew nothing! There were a couple of glorious twists that caused a sharp intake of breath on my part and actually shocked me deeply but moved the story forward on a completely different tangent. Her writing is sublime, so so descriptive yet never dull and tremendously insightful.. Some of my favourite writings were in Rebecca's observations of people, particularly of the elderly grandmother, and of the immediate world around her, Du Maurier has the uncanny knack of putting the reader in the characters places and making them sympathise and empathise with them even when on reflection said characters were actually the ones who didn't necessarily deserve it.

If I wasn't dedicated to reducing my TBR pile I would have already bought more of her books (I came close!) I my consider downloading one to my kobo when I have read a couple more that I have on there but I think they may be books that I would prefer to read as tree book so I can keep to read again in the future.

4. Talking Pictures - Ransom Riggs (January 10th) 4/5

Amazon synopsis

Growing up in South Florida - the land of junk stores, garage sales and big-tent flea markets - Ransom Riggs collected pictures of people he didn't know. Searching through endless dusty aisles of old stuffed animals, mismatched dishes, and needlepoint portraits, Riggs would find boxes of yellowing snapshots, discarded by old folks who had died or children who hadn't seen fit to save them. As hundreds of unknown faces from unknown locals stared back at him, Riggs found himself searching a particular kind of photograph - those with writing on the back or sides. "Talking Pictures" is a stunning collection of found images from the past-men, women, and children pulled from obscurity, posing for unknown cameraman. Yet, upon closer inspection, each image reveals something greater - an inscription that has the ability to open up a new world. In "Talking Pictures" Riggs shows us how a few scribbled lines can turn a blurry black-and-white snapshot of people who seem a million miles and a million years away into an intensely personal sliver of experience that anyone can relate to. Grouped into categories like Love and Marriage, Road Trip, Clowning Around, and The Dead, the images reveal secrets, express pain and longing, and capture moments of honesty like no other medium. With a single phrase, each haunting image becomes something not just to look at, but to listen to.

A fascinating book ideal for the coffee table. Full of old photographs and divided into sections including Love and Marriage, Times of Trouble and Life During Wartime, the photographs have only one thing in common, the people in the photos are unknown and they all have inscriptions of some kind. They range from fun and happy to desperately sad but all of them are so interesting and take you back to another time. Anyone who buys this on the strength of the photos in Riggs previous book, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, may be a little disappointed as these photos are a lot more mainstream, of regular members of the public, but they are fascinating in their own right.

5. My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece - Annabel Pitcher (January 11th) 4/5

Amazon synopsis

Ten-year-old Jamie Matthews has just moved to the Lake District with his Dad and his teenage sister, Jasmine for a 'Fresh New Start'. Five years ago his sister's twin, Rose, was blown up by a terrorist bomb. His parents are wrecked by their grief, Jasmine turns to piercing, pink hair and stops eating. The family falls apart. But Jamie hasn't cried in all that time. To him Rose is just a distant memory.

Jamie is far more interested in his cat, Roger, his birthday Spiderman T-shirt, and in keeping his new friend Sunya a secret from his dad. And in his deep longing and unshakeable belief that his Mum will come back to the family she walked out on months ago.

When he sees a TV advert for a talent show, he feels certain that this will change everything and bring them all back together once and for all.

Not a cheerful book by any stretch but a book that demands your attention. Within it there is family grief, with the family unit slowly imploding, abandonment, alcoholism, bullying, racism, and so much more, all seen from the viewpoint of a very stoic 10 year old who is struggling to come to terms with how his life has turned out, with the help of sister Jas who is herself fighting to keep everything together and his beloved cat Roger. This is one I will definitely be encouraging my children to read if only to show how siblings can support one another!

Great reviews Chalie !

I'm so glad you loved Rebecca .Wonderful book ! I think I was about 30when Iread it,and was hooked from the very first sentence . I kept thinking the whole way throug the book WHY HAVENT YOU READ THIS BEFORE ?? HOW DID YOU MISS IT ???

Anyhow, it really was an extremely good book .

I think I'm gonna try the sister on the Mantelpiece. It really does sound very interesting .

... I spent the first third of the book convinced I knew what was going on and how it would end but it turned out I knew nothing! There were a couple of glorious twists that caused a sharp intake of breath on my part and actually shocked me deeply but moved the story forward on a completely different tangent ...

This was exactly how I felt too! I remember after one of the twists, I actually gasped, "NO!" out loud and came straight on here to mention it, as I just never saw it coming at all! :lol:

This was a worthy sequel to At the Sign of the Sugared Plum but even more dramatic and certainly more nerve wracking. It took me into the heart of the Great Fire of London and I could feel the heat as Hannah was desperately trying to escape the fire, find her sister and her new sweetheart. Written in a style suitable for young adults or adults and by turns exciting and informative.

It was great, wasn't it. I hadn't seen this when I wrote my review of it, but like you, I felt I could feel the heat when reading. Have you read anything else by her? Fallen Grace was good - and I have Newes from the Dead on my wish list.

This is one of my all-time favourites and one of the few books I re-read. Oddly enough I haven't really delved into her other books. I did read Rule Britannia many years ago (I believe this might have been her last published book?) which was totally different. I really want to try some others, especially The House on the Strand at some stage. I also want to visit her home in Cornwall one day.

How about Jamaica Inn ? I'm surprised I haven't seen that mentioned. I read it a really L O N G time ago,so it's not very fresh in my mind about the storyline. All I remember is that I liked it . My poor brain,every day a few more cells gone and turned to mush . :(

Great reviews Chalie !

I'm so glad you loved Rebecca .Wonderful book ! I think I was about 30when Iread it,and was hooked from the very first sentence . I kept thinking the whole way throug the book WHY HAVENT YOU READ THIS BEFORE ?? HOW DID YOU MISS IT ???

Anyhow, it really was an extremely good book .

I think I'm gonna try the sister on the Mantelpiece. It really does sound very interesting .

Thanks Julie, Rebecca was indeed wonderful, I'm so happy it's now on my read shelf! Do try My Sister Lives in the Mantlepiece, it's an intriguing read..

This was exactly how I felt too! I remember after one of the twists, I actually gasped, "NO!" out loud and came straight on here to mention it, as I just never saw it coming at all! :lol:

The sign of a very well written book methinks! :)

I think I have Rebecca in my audio library - I may have to listen soon.

Ooh, have a look a Michelle, who is reading it? :)

You've made Rebecca sound wonderful chaliepud!

I should try and get a copy.

Bree, I'm sure you'd love it! :)

It was great, wasn't it. I hadn't seen this when I wrote my review of it, but like you, I felt I could feel the heat when reading. Have you read anything else by her? Fallen Grace was good - and I have Newes from the Dead on my wish list.

This is one of my all-time favourites and one of the few books I re-read. Oddly enough I haven't really delved into her other books. I did read Rule Britannia many years ago (I believe this might have been her last published book?) which was totally different. I really want to try some others, especially The House on the Strand at some stage. I also want to visit her home in Cornwall one day.

I haven't read any other Mary Hooper books as yet but I'll definitely keep my eye out for the ones you mentioned.. :)

How about Jamaica Inn ? I'm surprised I haven't seen that mentioned. I read it a really L O N G time ago,so it's not very fresh in my mind about the storyline. All I remember is that I liked it . My poor brain,every day a few more cells gone and turned to mush . :(

Jamaica Inn? I have seen that mentioned on here, I'll go look it up now! Thanks Julie :)

Great review of Rebecca Chalie, I didn't read it until more recently either though had seen a lot of screen adaptations so the twists unfortunately came as no surprise :( Still, there's a lot more to the book than they ever manage to capture on screen and I loved it with a large L. You might try My Cousin Rachel .. that's brilliant too.

The old B&W version of Rebecca (Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine) is one of the best .. they take a few liberties but manage to capture the atmosphere better than some of the more recent adaptations .. try and catch it if you can.

Great review of Rebecca Chalie, I didn't read it until more recently either though had seen a lot of screen adaptations so the twists unfortunately came as no surprise :( Still, there's a lot more to the book than they ever manage to capture on screen and I loved it with a large L. You might try My Cousin Rachel .. that's brilliant too.

The old B&W version of Rebecca (Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine) is one of the best .. they take a few liberties but manage to capture the atmosphere better than some of the more recent adaptations .. try and catch it if you can.

Thanks poppy, what a shame you had seen an adaptation first, though apparently the 'twist' is different, were you surprised by the book when it happened? I will certainly look out for a film or two and have added My Cousin Rachel to my wish list! :) :)