Chaliepud's 2013 Reading Log

chaliepud

No, we are in a regular detached house in a village, we have a country park only a 5 minute walk away though where the dogs can run off lead, there are plenty of other walks around too but all require a car journey of varying lengths.

I will be (health permitting) working this dog though, I did obedience and agility competitions with my crossbreeds but sadly my Cattle Dog has elbow dysplasia so he has been purely a (spoilt) pet, I have missed it though so look forward to getting back in the game! :)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, I didn't know one of your dogs has elbow displacia. One of our dogs had that too, well, hip and elbow displacia I think (if that's possible). As she got older she started to have more and more trouble walking. In the end she just laid down a lot. We had to put her to sleep, it was really sad, she was in so much pain. We did have pills for it and they helped a bit for a while but the pain kept getting worse. She did become seven, normally dogs her breed become about ten years old. Dogs with this affliction sometimes need to be put to sleep much earlier, she held out quite a long time.

I hope you have fun with your new dog, I look forward to see some pictures. It should be good for her to have obedience training etc., she'll probably like to do a lot of exercise. Have fun :).

Obi was diagnosed with ED at 4 months old and operates on at 5 months, the recovery was slow but he's nearly 10 now asks doing brilliantly, long may it last!

I am very excited about the new pup, I'm sure I'll be taking lots of pictures!

So, we will be picking up our new puppy (barring any disasters with the 6 week health tests) at the end of July, she is currently two and a half weeks old and we are all getting very excited, I even bought a puppy sling today, to make it easier to carry her around for the first few weeks before she has her puppy vaccinations..

Our only problem so far is that we cannot agree on a name.. Myself and my youngest like Chica (means little girl in Spanish) but no one else too keen, my eldest wants Beatrice, he's on his own with that one!!  So am now trawling the web looking for inspiration!  My only rules are it has to be a two syllable name, not be a typical 'human' name and with a reasonably strong first sound, eg Ch, K, T, too make it easier for training, is that too much to ask???!!! :D

The wolves are gorgeous.  I'd love to do something like that.

The Maori word for dog is Kuri (Koo-ree).  What about that?

Is there anything in Australia like that BM?  I would love to come out there some day and see some dingoes in the wild and see how many of their characteristics Obi (An Australian Cattle Dog) has retained...

I'll put those names on the list for everyone to check out, thanks BM and Devi.  :smile:  :smile:

Great pics! :D

Did you dance with them? th_dancing.gif

Funny !!~~

Chalie

I know next to nothing about wolves. The pics were really pretty . Can you tell me about the one that has the really dark-haired wolf ?  Most of the others have the same sort-of hair color -- a light greyish -white type hair .

Would the dark haired one be a different type of wolf, or maybe be a younger one ? I didn't know if their hair was the same color when they are young as when they grow older .

Hi Julie, thanks for stopping by..

The three wolves are in actual fact 2 year old siblings, Nuka is the male that I was able to stroke, his sisters are Tundra, the other grey one, she was very shy and kept her distance from the walkers, The black one is Tala and it is just like certain breeds of dog that can produce different colours within a litter.. If you look at the following link and scroll down to Mai and Motomo, these are the siblings parents and you will see they are different colour again. All a matter of complicated genetics!!  Probably the same reason both my boys are dark haired and brown eyed and my daughter is blonde and blue eyed..  :) :)

The wolves are just gorgeous. 

There was a man around here some years ago that bred German Shepherds and wolves.  He kept some for himself.  I didn't see them, as we'd only met him by accident when we were out.  I'd have loved to see them.  I think one would have to have a very strong hand and personality to live with them.

The wolves are just gorgeous. 

There was a man around here some years ago that bred German Shepherds and wolves.  He kept some for himself.  I didn't see them, as we'd only met him by accident when we were out.  I'd have loved to see them.  I think one would have to have a very strong hand and personality to live with them.

Yes I think many people have done the same thing, with varying levels of success .. the problem with wolves is that they can become tame to a greater or lesser degree but it would take many many generations of hand reared wolves for them to become domesticated. In unsympathetic hands it could be a disaster.. :(

Is there anything in Australia like that BM?  I would love to come out there some day and see some dingoes in the wild and see how many of their characteristics Obi (An Australian Cattle Dog) has retained...

I'll put those names on the list for everyone to check out, thanks BM and Devi.  :smile:  :smile:

I'm actually in New Zealand.  We don't have any wild animals here.  We've got deer and things like that, but that's about it.

I'm actually in New Zealand. We don't have any wild animals here. We've got deer and things like that, but that's about it.

Sorry BM, I just read Down Under and assumed..

We don't have any wild wolves in the UK, any we have are in sanctuaries, there was talk of releasing a couple of packs in the Scottish Highlands a while ago but it came under too much opposition and it was thought they would be in too much danger from local farmers and hunters..