Chaliepud's 2013 Reading Log

chaliepud

Thanks poppy, what a shame you had seen an adaptation first, though apparently the 'twist' is different, were you surprised by the book when it happened? I will certainly look out for a film or two and have added My Cousin Rachel to my wish list! :) :)

They pulled their punches in the film that's all, it gave the same feeling but made Maxim's character more sympathetic (the censors wouldn't allow them to keep strictly to the original storyline apparently). The book has the better twist no question, but I already knew about it before reading it having read about the comparisons :( It was the wrong way round to do it but nobody tells you that when you settle down to watch an afternoon film on a Sunday (and it was years ago - when reading was just my hobby and not a full blown obsession :D) The film is only a pale version of it but still it's well worth seeing .. Selznick and Hitchcock both had a hand in it and they do full justice to the suspense and tension in the story. I haven't really enjoyed the TV adaptations though.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They pulled their punches in the film that's all, it gave the same feeling but made Maxim's character more sympathetic (the censors wouldn't allow them to keep strictly to the original storyline apparently). The book has the better twist no question, but I already knew about it before reading it having read about the comparisons :( It was the wrong way round to do it but nobody tells you that when you settle down to watch an afternoon film on a Sunday (and it was years ago - when reading was just my hobby and not a full blown obsession :D) The film is only a pale version of it but still it's well worth seeing .. Selznick and Hitchcock both had a hand in it and they do full justice to the suspense and tension in the story. I haven't really enjoyed the TV adaptations though.

I'll definitely look out for that version poppy, it'll be interesting to see it on screen after loving the book. :) Hope it's not too scary, I'm a bit of a wuss!! :hide:

Hayley, the audio version of Rebecca is read by Anna Massey, and she has a lovely gentle English accent. :)

Oh she sounds perfect for it Michelle, I hope it's a great read/listen for you. :smile:

6. The Wolf Within: How I Learned To Talk Dog - Shaun Ellis (January 19th) 5/5

Amazon Synopsis

To wolf expert, Shaun Ellis, wolves aren’t just his work, they’re also his family. An extraordinary man, Shaun has been fascinated by wolves all his life, even living as part of a wild pack for two years with no human contact. What he gained was a unique and fascinating insight into their world, and that of our very own domestic dogs.

Shaun Ellis grew up in the Norfolk countryside with a passion for and understanding with animals from an early age. His early fascination with wolves, and determination to understand them, led to him spending years in the US with the Naz Paz Indian tribe, watching wolves, learning to understand their roles and behaviour in the pack and how to communicate with them. He even lived as part of a wild pack for two years, without any human contact. Bringing his knowledge back to the UK, he astonished wildlife experts with his knowledge and insight. He now lives, eats and sleeps with his two wolf packs at Combe Martin Wildlife Park. This is the story of Shaun’s determination to understand these extraordinary animals and how what he has learned can help others to understand their own domestic dogs.

Wow, Shaun Ellis is one hugely determined man. This autobiographical book starts with a brief description of his childhood in Norfolk, living with his grandparents on a remote farm, learning from a very young age to respect the land and to be responsible for putting food on the table, shooting rabbits and the like, but only ever taking what is needed and what will least affect the local eco systems, never taking a doe that has babies etc. He spent hours at night sitting in fields watching fox families, working out how they hunted and how they they were vilified by some and misunderstood by many more. His life then takes a sharp unexpected turn into the army which in turn gives him the tools to survive in the future when he dedicates his life to wolves, an animal that seemed a natural progression for him to study after the foxes.

When I say he dedicates his life to wolves that is not an understatement in any way at all, he is determined to understand EVERYTHING about them, from how they form a pack, hunt and feed to how they choose a mate, look after and each their young, protect their territory, but mainly he wants to prove to the world that the world is a better place with wolves in it, and that man is responsible for the problems now being encountered with wolves taking livestock and coming onto farmland. Man had destroyed much of their habitats and their ways in and out of their territories forcing them to encroach on farm and public land with the inevitabilities that come with that.

Shaun has spent years living with wolves and by that I mean living as a wolf, at one point he spent close to two years in the wilds of Idaho without changing his all weather suit, anything more that a splash of water on his face and hands, no tooth brushing and eating exactly what the wolves ate, predominantly raw meat, the only vegetables he may eat were contained in the stomach contents of the animals that had been hunted and killed by the wolves. (The part of the kill an individual wolf eats is dependent on their rank in the pack).

Although this book was a great read for me because I am a big fan and advocate of the wolf I do think this would be a book that would appeal to anyone with an interest in nature and particularly our wonderful canine friends.

A big 5/5 for me!!

Edited by chaliepud

I think I've finally been convinced to try Rebecca! It gets so many positive reviews on here. :)

Good to see you enjoyed My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece too Chalie - it's on my kindle and your review made me want to read it NOW - but I feel like that about most of my TBR! If they could just stop time for a week or two so I could get through some uninterrupted my work and social commitments that wold be absolutely grand

While I appreciate and admire what Shaun Ellis did, that can't have been a healthy two years for him out in the wild. I am going to add the book to my wish list! I had a bit of a fascination with wolves growing up, and dolphins too - both at the same time.

Devi, you're right, it wasn't healthy at all, he was quite ill when he left the wolves and it took him a while to get himself back in human shape. Madly he did it again years later when he was integrating a new wolf pack at Combe Martin (where he still is now), but he recognised the signs a little sooner that time.

I was on his website yesterday and sadly they are threatened with closure at the moment due to some problem with retrospective planning permission/local council issues, I've signed the petition but I think it may take much more that that... :(

Great review of Rebecca Chalie, I didn't read it until more recently either though had seen a lot of screen adaptations so the twists unfortunately came as no surprise :( Still, there's a lot more to the book than they ever manage to capture on screen and I loved it with a large L. You might try My Cousin Rachel .. that's brilliant too.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear you'd already heard about some of the twists before you got to reading the book :empathy: I've somehow managed to stay spoiled-free, I wonder if that's because I'm Finnish... I don't remember anyone ever talking about the book out there, in real life.

6. The Wolf Within: How I Learned To Talk Dog - Shaun Ellis

A big 5/5 for me!!

I'm so happy you enjoyed this book, because I know how much you love wolves and wanted to love the book! :smile2::friends3:

7. Blackwood - Gwenda Bond (January 23rd) 3.5/5

Amazon Synopsis

On Roanoke Island, the legend of the 114 people who vanished from the Lost Colony hundreds of years ago is just an outdoor drama for the tourists. But when the island faces the sudden disappearance of 114 people now, an unlikely pair of 17-year-olds may be the only hope of bringing them back. Miranda, a misfit girl from the island's most infamous family, and Phillips, an exiled teen criminal who hears the voices of the dead, must dodge everyone from federal agents to long-dead alchemists as they work to uncover the secrets of the new Lost Colony. The one thing they can't dodge is each other.

This was a YA book kindly sent to me by Michelle. It was a little typical in it's style, teenage misfit who the whole town frowns on meets a town bad boy (not particularly bad in this case, think young Johnny Depp rather than Al Pacino or Nicholas Cage!) I did like the way the author used the age old story of The Lost Colony to build the story, although I hope no one thinks this is what actually happened, no doubt some easily influenced history avoiding teens will. :D Otherwise it was a good read, with good building tension that encouraged me to read it reasonably quickly to see what happened in the end. This is definitely one for my teen and budding teen to read at some point. Very little use of bad language and nothing more frisky than a kiss and a hand on a chest (and that was girl on boy.. :) )

Ok, a bit of fun.... I can't decide what to read next off my TBR list (see page one ;) ) So.............. first person to read this can choose which book I read next..... :o

By this evening would be lovely please... :D

I might have to borrow this idea! I am not sure on what to read next after The Tenderness of Wolves. I have three I am looking at to read next.

8. Mr Rosenblum's List - Natasha Solomons (January 28th) 4/5

Amazon Synopsis

List item 2: Never speak German on the upper decks of London buses.

Jack Rosenblum is five foot three and a half inches of sheer tenacity. He's writing a list so he can become a Very English Gentleman.

List item 41: An Englishman buys his marmalade from Fortnum and Mason.

It's 1952, and despite his best efforts, his bid to blend in is fraught with unexpected hurdles - including his wife. Sadie doesn't want to forget where they came from or the family they've lost. And she shows no interest in getting a purple rinse.

List item 112: An Englishman keeps his head in a crisis, even when he's risking everything.

Jack leads a reluctant Sadie deep into the English countryside in pursuit of a dream. Here, in a land of woolly pigs, bluebells and jitterbug cider, they embark on an impossible task...

I wasn't sure about this book for a while and I found it rambled a little in places but to be fair that was part of it's charm, and that's eactly what it is, a charming read. However it does have dark undertones in the form of anti semitism against the main protagonist and his wife, Jack and Sadie Rosenblum. Jack is a marvellous character, possibly the most optimistic character I have ever read about, letting nothing get in the way of his determination to become a proper English gentleman, despite the reservations of Sadie who is equally determined to retain as much of her jewish heritage as she possibly can as she feels not doing so is disrespectful to the family that she left behind.

Never before have I read a book where I have so wanted things to turn out well for a character, he was just so indomitably optimistic and hard working that he truly deserved a happy ending. It was fascinating seeing his eccentric character develop and perhaps it was this that made him into a true English gentleman?

Oh, and I just loved Curtis, I could picture him so easily, I want a taste of that cider!! :D

Chalie

You are doing wonderful with your reading this year. Just like a train,you keep chugging along . I like how you let the next visitor to your thread choose your next book. Handy-dandy idea.

It's funny you should end up reading Mr Rosenblum. I was just watching a little webcast ? Not sure that's the word,but one of our local libraries does little videos about the books one of their employees is reading currently,then they put the video online, I guess to give people book suggestions .

They had a lady do the one I was watching last,and she had just read 3 books, all with men in the title-

Mr Rosenblum was one, Major Pettigrew was one,and Harold Frey was the last . They all sounded really interesting ,so it was neat to see that you just read one of them too .

Keep up the good work,you are doing great :)

Great review of Mr Rosenblum's List chalie :) I loved it too, I read it ages ago but one of the things I most remember about it is Sadie cooking that baumtorte to remember those she loved etc. I probably remember it because it was a towering cake :) I'd love to bake it but I've never grilled a cake before :confused:

Jack was quite tiresome because of his blinkered determination to be an English gentleman .. it put him and Sadie under so much strain but you just couldn't help loving him to bits.

Chalie You are doing wonderful with your reading this year. Just like a train,you keep chugging along . I like how you let the next visitor to your thread choose your next book. Handy-dandy idea. It's funny you should end up reading Mr Rosenblum. I was just watching a little webcast ? Not sure that's the word,but one of our local libraries does little videos about the books one of their employees is reading currently,then they put the video online, I guess to give people book suggestions . They had a lady do the one I was watching last,and she had just read 3 books, all with men in the title- Mr Rosenblum was one, Major Pettigrew was one,and Harold Frey was the last . They all sounded really interesting ,so it was neat to see that you just read one of them too . Keep up the good work,you are doing great :)

I think it was a good idea letting someone choose my next book as I am always so undecided about what to read next, it probably wouldn't work so well if my mojo were at a low ebb but it's functioning well at the moment, although sadly I have just given up on White Fang...more details below!!!

I wish our library did something like that but our website are very cheap and basic and we are lucky to actually have any libraries at all!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) Have you read The Novel in the Viola? That's a great read by her too. :)

It was lovely Janet, so thanks again for giving me the push to read it! yes, I read TNitV a couple of years ago and really enjoyed that too, in fact I think it's my most lent out book! :)

Great review of Mr Rosenblum's List chalie :) I loved it too, I read it ages ago but one of the things I most remember about it is Sadie cooking that baumtorte to remember those she loved etc. I probably remember it because it was a towering cake :) I'd love to bake it but I've never grilled a cake before :confused: Jack was quite tiresome because of his blinkered determination to be an English gentleman .. it put him and Sadie under so much strain but you just couldn't help loving him to bits.

Yes, I'm not sure about grilling a cake but I'm guessing it's because the layers were so thin that it was possible? Sounded heavenly though and I loved how the smell of her baking it for the first time in Dorsetshire (why do they not still call it that?!) wafted into the lane for the ladies of the committee to smell! Jack was lovely, my Steve can be one for getting grand but unachievable ideas in his head which can lead to a lot of debates discussions, but thankfully I am more forthright than dear old Sadie... :D

White Fang - Jack London - Did not finish :(

I'm sad to say I gave up on White Fang about half way through last night.. It was a slow starter anyhow and took awhile to get to White Fang being born. I really enjoyed the couple of chapters that dealt with his first few months of life and how everything was new and such a steep learning curve but was a little irritated by the author giving the cub human emotions, and particularly at times saying that if he were human this is how he would feel etc. But the real crunch for me came when he was being badly treated by the Native American Indians, I had steeled myself for some abuse as it was in the blurb but to read about it being dealt by the Indians was just too much for me. Much has been documented on how the Indians revere the wolf and respect it as an equal and live side by side (not literally generally) and how the wolf lifestyle enhances that of the Indian tribes that whilst I'm sure it could happen - there are rogues everywhere! - it wasn't something I wanted to read about... :(

Anyone have an idea what I should read next?? :)

Edited by chaliepud