Chaliepud's 2013 Reading Log

chaliepud

Oh that's a shame but never mind, Obi's only 9 and getting more and more chilled with age so hopefully by the time you meet him he'll be very cool :D Steve DID get me the Wolf Sanctuary membership for Christmas so I'll be walking with wolves sometime this year, if it's any good it may be worth a visit when you do manage to get over! Finances, don't you just hate them sometimes!! :banghead:

I really need to get a little more excited about my TBR books, it's a shame as I was very excited about them when I bought them, but I must put my trust in fellow BCF members who have loved so many of these books and get on with it! :D The Kobo is indeed an ereader, I wasn't happy getting the Kindle with a light as I'd heard mixed reports on the quality of the light so I went for the Kobo Glo and I have to say so far I've finished one book on it and am having to make myself read a tree book before I'm allowed to read another ebook, it was a surprising good experience! :)

Thanks for your good wishes, and a very happy 2013 to you too! :friends3:

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that's a shame but never mind, Obi's only 9 and getting more and more chilled with age so hopefully by the time you meet him he'll be very cool

But I don't want him to be too cool, I'd still wish to see him get up to no good! :giggle2:

Steve DID get me the Wolf Sanctuary membership for Christmas so I'll be walking with wolves sometime this year, if it's any good it may be worth a visit when you do manage to get over! Finances, don't you just hate them sometimes!! :banghead:

That's such great news about the Wolf Sanctuary membership, yay! :D I think Steve's a keeper :yes: I'll be anxiously waiting for your visit and the report after!

I really need to get a little more excited about my TBR books, it's a shame as I was very excited about them when I bought them, but I must put my trust in fellow BCF members who have loved so many of these books and get on with it! :D

Yes, please don't lose faith in us now! :D The thing that helps with me when I'm in the same situation is that I start nonchalantly, almost in a bored fashion (I'm faking it, of course!) to browse through the books on the shelves, I pick some titles up, read the blurbs, read bits and pieces here and there, and wham! Soon enough I can't decide which to read next as I want to read them all, then and there.

The Kobo is indeed an ereader, I wasn't happy getting the Kindle with a light as I'd heard mixed reports on the quality of the light so I went for the Kobo Glo and I have to say so far I've finished one book on it and am having to make myself read a tree book before I'm allowed to read another ebook, it was a surprising good experience!

Oh man... After I read through your 2013 reading log and asked you about the Kobo Glo thing, I got more interested in eReaders and was reading through the replies in the Do You Read Faster On a Kindle or something like that thread, and the eReader started to sound really good, and so practical... I'll be damned if I give in and buy one!

Oh, by the way: I was reading through ashleighjane's reading log and noticed the title A Street Cat Named Bob, and I recognised it because I'd seen you add it to your lists on goodreads? Well, I checked the link and read the blurb, and bloody hell, it sounds good. I'm so adding that to my wishlist :) I hope it's good!

Yes, please don't lose faith in us now! :D The thing that helps with me when I'm in the same situation is that I start nonchalantly, almost in a bored fashion (I'm faking it, of course!) to browse through the books on the shelves, I pick some titles up, read the blurbs, read bits and pieces here and there, and wham! Soon enough I can't decide which to read next as I want to read them all, then and there.

Yes I do that sometimes but now reading Rebecca as have heard such good reports on here, am about 80 pages in and loving it so far... :)

Oh man... After I read through your 2013 reading log and asked you about the Kobo Glo thing, I got more interested in eReaders and was reading through the replies in the Do You Read Faster On a Kindle or something like that thread, and the eReader started to sound really good, and so practical... I'll be damned if I give in and buy one!

That's what I said................

, by the way: I was reading through ashleighjane's reading log and noticed the title A Street Cat Named Bob, and I recognised it because I'd seen you add it to your lists on goodreads? Well, I checked the link and read the blurb, and bloody hell, it sounds good. I'm so adding that to my wishlist :) I hope it's good!

I bought it last year after meeting James and Bob in Covent Garden (London) last year, I really want to get around to it soon, have finished 3 books already this year so hopefully won't be too far in the future, long may my mojo reign! :D

I bought it last year after meeting James and Bob in Covent Garden (London) last year, I really want to get around to it soon, have finished 3 books already this year so hopefully won't be too far in the future, long may my mojo reign! :D

Aww, I'm jealous - he comes across so well in the book, I'd love to meet them both. :)

Aww, I'm jealous - he comes across so well in the book, I'd love to meet them both. :)

I wish I'd taken a pic now but didn't occur to me at the time.. Bob was just so chilled, sitting on his little blanket, no leash or anything, calming letting people pet him, one cool cat! :)

He was brilliant, so self contained, he gave us permission to pet him but typical cat made it clear that he couldn't care less either way! :) A couple of months after we met an older guy in Windsor (opposite the castle) with his cat, I don't think he was homeless but clearly had seen hard times, he also had a ginger cat, can't remember his name, but he showed us a brilliant photo album of him and his cat in all sorted of places, on the beach, outside Buck House, on a bus, such a nice guy and a really affectionate little cat, quite happy to have a hug, so unlike my unsociable kittty!! :D

Ok, I have 10 minutes before I need to collect my little one, well, not so little but he'll always be my baby!! :D

1. Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks (January 3rd) 3/5

Amazon Synopsis

Love hurts. There is nothing as painful as heartbreak. But in order to learn to love again you must learn to trust again.

When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet unassuming, Katie is determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships.

Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community. But even as Katie starts to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts her . . .

I've not read any Nicholas Sparks before but I'm guessing this book was formulaic of his work, characters overcoming sad/dangerous pasts, learning to love again, then coming face to face with said past before managing to move forward again.. That makes it sound like I didn't enjoy the book, I did, but I think I liked it because it was an easy read, ideal for the turn of the New Year when the kids were on holiday and I was snatching ten minutes here and there to read, I didn't need to give it a lot of thought but it was pretty well written, with a decent storyline which built nicely toward the end of the book. I do have another of his books on my TBR shelf (Message in a Bottle) and I will read it at some point this year.

This is a great doggy book, I really hope you enjoy it. Not as good as Enzo, and not like Marley, but really good anyways. Probably in my top 5 doggy books!

The Last Family in England isn't as good as The Art of Racing in the Rain? Uh oh. This doesn't bode well. :(

I've started this a few times and it's really great, but I've never finished, for a few reasons... Just haven't had the time, I guess. But that's my fault, not the books!

Go and read it again, woman! :P

That's what I said................

Oh no... :D Well, I think I'm well off because I don't know much about these eReaders and I think I would have a hard time figuring out which kind to buy, and I think ... I don't know, the one I saw at a store the other day was somehow linked to this Finnish eReader books company and the variety of the books was not very tempting... and I think the Finnish e-novels are a whole lot more expensive than the English ones. And I wouldn't know if I could get a deal with some English e-book company with an eReader bought in Finland. There's just so much I don't know about the things, and it's confusing, and I'm using that as an excuse not to get near any of them gadgets :giggle2: It's tree books for me!

You met the author and the cat?! :o Wow, so cool! :smile2: How rare is that!

The Last Family in England isn't as good as The Art of Racing in the Rain? Uh oh. This doesn't bode well. :(

But maybe you'll like TLFiE better than TAoRitR! There's no telling with you because you didn't like TAoRitR as much as I might've anticipated.

Go and read it again, woman! :P

Yes Ma'am... :giggle2: I think one of the problems has been that the book is so genious that I want to take notes and then it starts taking a lot of time to finish it and I never get around to it! :blush:

Well, we're only a small country... :giggle:

It might be a small country but there are a lot of people over there, from what I remember from our geography lessons in school :D But I suppose you didn't just bump into them on your walk to the grocerystore...? :D

Hey there Chalie

Just catching up on your posts so far in here . You are doing great on your reading list. I was happy to see that you liked Rebecca so much .

And how exciting that you got a Kobo Glo --now that is a cool name for an ereader. I don't think I've seen one in person,but it sure sounds as if you are liking it a lot .

Igotta go look up the book about your sister being on the mantel --quite an interesting title !

The kobo is very cool and I have truly surprised myself with how much I like it, it is so comfortable to read with, particularly in bed at night..

I'm off to bed just now to finish My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece, I am enjoying it but its very depressing! :(

The kobo is very cool and I have truly surprised myself with how much I like it, it is so comfortable to read with, particularly in bed at night..

This I can imagine. I've read a few long novels recently and they were quite heavy on my wrists in bed! :rolleyes:

Nighty night, chalie, I hope you don't have depressing dreams because of the novel :empathy:

This I can imagine. I've read a few long novels recently and they were quite heavy on my wrists in bed! :rolleyes:

That's interesting. I have been strongly resisting the lure of the e-reader (my books weep real tears when they realise I am considering it :o ) but I am trying to choose a paperback just now and I have ruled out quite a few that I would actually like to read on the "too heavy for when I'm falling asleep" basis. :)

That's interesting. I have been strongly resisting the lure of the e-reader (my books weep real tears when they realise I am considering it :o ) but I am trying to choose a paperback just now and I have ruled out quite a few that I would actually like to read on the "too heavy for when I'm falling asleep" basis. :)

And! Imagine a situation where you don't have to turn the page and adjust your book holding hand accordingly. You can just tap on the screen and it'll turn the page for you.

As much as I'm (sort of) against eReaders, they seem to be quite handy...

And! Imagine a situation where you don't have to turn the page and adjust your book holding hand accordingly. You can just tap on the screen and it'll turn the page for you.

Oooh, that is so appealing! As I get more and more sleepy, I slide down further into the bed with my book holding hand kind of propped on pillows and trying to manage one-handed - it never works... frankie, you, you enabler you! :friends3:

Oooh, that is so appealing! As I get more and more sleepy, I slide down further into the bed with my book holding hand kind of propped on pillows and trying to manage one-handed - it never works... frankie, you, you enabler you! :friends3:

Oh man, first we create all kinds of problems for members by recommending a whole lot of books to read, and now it's these gadgets we can't help but find handy and recommend to others... :giggle2:

I daren't guess! It would be interesting, though, to set up a poll and see how many of us has an eReader these days...

Oh dear, I hope we're not keeping you up! :D

Nope, you didn't keep me up, I went to bed and finished My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece, so sad... :(

A poll would be interesting definitely, I wonder if there re any closet kindle/kobo owners out there? :D