Poppyshake's Reading Year 2013

poppyshake

Awww! I want a scarf for my kitty! That's just too cute. :)

If Jasper's anything like Oscar was or Molly .. he won't let you get anywhere near him with a scarf :D

Don't you dare apologise! I remember enjoying it. :) I need to read it again though, because I'd forgotten about the lion.

Well that is a relief .. I hope there was a lion in it Kylie :giggle2: otherwise it means I've gone completely nuts  :D

Great reviews as always, Kay. Love the look of the Street Cat one ....and it's available on Kindle :)

Thanks poppy :) You will love it I'm sure :yes: 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thank you Poppy but i was lucky enough to find a copy in a charity shop today while i was out with my sister. I quickly grabbed it off the shelf & had to do a little dance of happiness it was such a great find  :exc:

Well done you :D I've been scouring mine for The Joy Luck Club ready for September's reading circle but so far no luck :( I'm using my mind powers though to see if I can make one appear :D Hope I haven't been making them disappear by mistake :D

I missed out on watching The Forsyte Saga when i was a kid but i'd like to see it at some point just to see how it compares to the books :smile:

Very dated now I expect but still .. worth a look :)

:23_sing: Think of all the bookshelves you've ever heard about like the Wernicke's and the Billy's that can link,
There are lots of gorgeous bookshelves in all the world, but have you ever seen a bookshelf that is pink?
THINK!
A bookshelf that is positively pink,
Well here it is, the pink bookshelf, the rinky dink bookshelf,
Isn't it a bookshelf ever so pink?
It really is a natty shelf and to fill it you don't even need a lot of wealth,
It's in the pink - the pink bookshelf, the rinky dink bookshelf
and it's as plain as your nose,
that it's the one and only, truly original,
bookshelf pink (bookshelf) from head to toes! :giggle2:  

pinkbookshelf.jpg

Yes :giggle: some explanation is needed as to why I've painted the bookshelf, I showed you earlier, pink :blush2: but I can't really give you one  .. other than it came into my head that it would look better pink :D The bathroom is decorated in pale duck egg/beige sort of colours and the pine was sticking out like a sore thumb (and of course .. now it's pink it's really subtle :D  :D)

I took your advice and colour co-ordinated the books .. you were right they do look better :friends3: 

It's going to take us a little while to get used to the pinkness .. :cool:  :D 

mrripley.jpg
The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith

Synopsis: Since his debut in 1955, Tom Ripley has evolved into the ultimate bad boy sociopath, influencing countless novelists and filmmakers. In this first novel, we are introduced to suave, handsome Tom Ripley: a young striver, newly arrived in the heady world of Manhattan in the 1950s. A product of a broken home, branded a "sissy" by his dismissive Aunt Dottie, Ripley becomes enamored of the moneyed world of his new friend, Dickie Greenleaf. This fondness turns obsessive when Ripley is sent to Italy to bring back his libertine pal but grows enraged by Dickie's ambivalent feelings for Marge, a charming American dilettante.

Review: I liked this a lot but it made me uneasy, I read it with a certain amount of dread as Tom spiralled out of control (why do we say spiralled? .. couldn't they take a more direct route? :D) Somehow I'd come to - not exactly like him - but be hopeful for him (I think reading about his childhood made me instantly sympathise) and he didn't really reward me for my benevolence. What was extra chilling was the cool and calculated way he went about things, like his brain had switched to auto-pilot. He came near to being exposed so many times that it put me on edge .. very unrelaxing .. I think I got repetitive strain injury from constantly raising my hand to my mouth (I don't remember if the film soundtrack made full use of the 'menacing oboe' but it should have). I could see a few holes in the plot (everyone seemed to roll over too conveniently) but that's nit-picking because mostly it was brilliant. It's said to be a dark re-working of Henry James's The Ambassadors and hats off to Patricia .. she made a much more interesting story out of it than Henry managed :o  :yes: Actually I knew the story from the film but couldn't quite recall it all, Matt and Jude I could visualise in their roles quite clearly but, as it turns out Gwynnie was terribly miscast. Marge was supposed to be a little dumpy and on the solid side .. and there's nothing solid about Gwynnie but I guess dumpy won't do at the box office :roll2::D Also Dickie wasn't at all interested in Marge romantically and again .. that's harder to believe when it's Gwynnie (but maybe the film played it differently?). There are more Ripley stories and on the one hand I'd love to see what he gets up to but on the other I'm terrified of what he's capable of. I'm a bit of a sissy with these types of stories .. reading it put me very much in mind of Andy Murray's Wimbledon final .. in that I could hardly bear to look at times :lurker:  Goodness only knows what I'd make of an up-to-date-in-your-face-thriller. Riveting 4/5

Is this on the 1001? I think it might be :boogie: 

dot.jpg
Dot by Araminta Hall

Synopsis: In a higgledy-piggledy house with turrets and tunnels towering over the sleepy Welsh village of Druith, two girls play hide and seek. They don’t see its grandeur or the secrets locked behind doors they cannot open. They see lots of brilliant places to hide. Squeezed under her mother’s bed, pulse racing with the thrill of a new hiding place Dot sees something else: a long-forgotten photograph of a man, his hair blowing in the breeze. Dot stares so long at the photograph the image begins to disintegrate before her eyes, and as the image fades it is replaced with one thought: ‘I think it’s definitely him’ DOT is the story of one little girl and how her one small action changes the lives of those around her for ever.

Review: The problem is, it isn't just a story about one little girl .. it's about two little girls (Dot and her best friend Mavis) and it's also about their mothers and fathers etc and it jumps backwards and forwards in time. I was all over the place with it to be honest and I'm not good with that type of story .. there's always a character you prefer reading about and you get restless waiting for news. It was all related to Dot and her search for her father so I suppose in that way .. the synopsis is right, everything comes back to Dot. There were several people I wanted to shake (a good sign .. I was taking the characters seriously :D) .. Dot's mother and grandmother in particular but nearly all of them came a cropper because they didn't communicate. Really frustrating but then there wouldn't be much of a story if Dot had been told all from the start .. we have to find out in dribs and drabs which is more than Dot does .. she has to go nearly the whole book. Quite shocking in parts with occasional ripe language and graphic content and also quite harrowing .. Dot gets some odd notions in her head regarding the identity of her father and as a result makes some catastrophic mistakes. It's not all doom and gloom, it's quite funny in parts and it's a good exploration of family relationships and female relationships in particular and what happens when we keep secrets (no good can come of it forum membies  :D .. unless they're short term secrets like surprise birthday parties .. however .. if you ever hear of one being planned for me .. please tell me ... I'll be forever grateful and I'll cut you in on my present haul :D) I did get frustrated with it but cared a lot about Dot. 4/5 

Quite incidentally .. I would love to be called Araminta .. but it's probably a bit too Waitrose for me :D I am much more your Sainsbury's sort :giggle2: (are those references global? .. probably not.)

I love the Ripley series.  Especially the next two, Ripley Under Ground and Ripley's Game.  There is another film as well starring the amazing and wonderful John Malkovich as Ripley (Ripley's Game).  He does a fantastic job on Ripley.  A must see.

Uneasy is the perfect way to describe those books.  Good Review! :)

Edited by pontalba

I've spent a few hours very blissfully, reading through your reading log. All the new reviews and some of the older ones. It's been a hoot, but it's also kind of worrying how many books I now have to add to my wishlist :D More than a dozen!!

I'm sorry but I'll be posting a few on here now to comment :blush: I never learn my lesson: I should not go a day without reading your log, because otherwise your magnificent reviews and all wonderful posts just accumulate and then it takes a long time to read through all of them (although it's always a huge pleasure when I finally get to it! :wub:).

Now at first commenting on a few posts:

And have you noticed, the pink goes with every single coloured book spine on that shelf!  Niiice :cool:

It does, doesn't it? It's quite odd, and I'm not even a real huge fan of pink, I think it's a color just like any other (that kind of rhymed!). :shrug: Very sweeeeet! :)

The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith

Is this on the 1001? I think it might be :boogie: 

Great review, and I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed the book, but I always thought you would :smile2: I'd seen the movie many a time, and quite liked it, but I always figured I wouldn't like the book... Somehow I had prejudices against Highsmith, and I don't even have a reason as to why... But then I picked the book up and it was good!

And yes, it's on the 1001 list :P:D

I love the spineless classic picture on your wall! What a great idea :)Jänet, I liked the ones you showed pictures of, too! And I have to confess I wasn't bothered at all that Thomas Hardy was a bit misplaced... I'm still bitter about having to have read his Tess for uni :lol:

Quoting Kidsmum: 
"Happy wedding anniversary Poppy, i love your book piccies. It's our 24th anniversary next month ( not trying to be competitive honest) & i shall be showing hubby your post so he knows what kind of standard i expect for future anniversaries. Perhaps Alan should write his own book giving hopeless hubbies tips on how to be a thoughtful husband"

frankie says: I'm loving the book piccies, too! And happy belated Anniversary, and say congrats to Alan for me, as well :smile2: I like Kidsmum's idea of her showing her hubby the post so he'll know what to do :D And yeah, Alan should definitely feature in your reading log, poppyshake :D

My Animals and Other Family - Clare Balding

I've seen the title of this come up here and there these last few months, and it's always reminded me of a James Herriot book. I checked him on wikipedia and he doesn't actually have a title in English that resembles the title of Balding's book, but I'm suspecting the Finnish translation title is what's making me confused. I tried reading the Herriot book once but didn't like it for some reason :shrug: So I just never really gave this book a chance. Now I've read your review and I'm adding it to my wishlist :) I'm not a fan of horses, either, they scare me and I'd just rather keep away... But if you still managed to read the book and enjoy it, I think I will be safe, too!

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente

This one's going on my wishlist! :)

Down and Out in Paris and London - George Orwell

I already have this on my wishlist thanks to Janet but thank you for reminding me of the book :)

'Plongeur'? It makes me think of a fancy way to pronounce (and spell) plunger. Somebody plunging a toilet or a sink. A plunger in the kitchen? I hate to think what they were cooking!!

Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

What a great review of the book. Trust you to feel the same way about it... :lol: I gave it an annoyed  1/5. And I agree with what you said: P.D. Spent so much time recounting the P&P it was getting really boring. Yes, she had to go through the story for the sake of the people who don't know it, but she could've edited... The editor should've edited... The publisher should've edited... And if nothing else, the printing people should've edited!! Somebody! Plz!

”To sum it up, it's a bit like a Jane Austen book with a murder put in but most of the wit taken out :D

Here here :D

The Boy with No Shoes by William Horwood

I've missed this review before, so I'm really happy I didn't only read your latest reviews but went over some of the earlier pages, too, and read them.... I do my fair share of 'misery reading' but I wouldn't say I'm a fan... But this one sounds like the kind of book I would like to read. As contradictory as that seems, because what's there to 'like' per se.

Is William Horwood a very popular author? :shrug: I don't think I've ever heard of him before this...

A Right Royal B*stard by Sarah Miles

This sounds like my kind of thing but I'm very hesitant about adding it (or the sequels) to my wishlist because I don't know Sarah Miles :blush: I bet it would be a lot more fun if I had any idea who she is... Well of course you did a fine job of introducing her to us, but I meant it would be nicer if I'd seen her on something or another... Maybe I have but don't know it!

simoncallow.jpg

What an absolutely gorgeous cover :wub:

It's funny that when I started reading your review on this, I was thinking how you've already read a few bios on Dickens and how this might fare against them. Then I read this: ”Actually I think it’s an ideal biography to read if you want a good overall account without getting bogged down in detail.”

Score :D

Sounds intriguing, and it's going on the W-list :cool:

What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge

I was always led to believe that this was my biography :D It was a constant on my shelves as a child and mum used to talk about it as if it were my diary or something but I'm pretty sure I never looked in it .. I was probably too scared what it might reveal. Anyway, as it turns out my mum is the most terrible fibber because it's not about me at all .. this Katy lived in America for one thing and I'm quite sure that I never did. I was expecting her to be somewhat naughtier .. she is naughty but with a pretty small n.

Hehehe, poppyshake's Mum pulls a fast one on her... :D Well done! The book's already on my wishlist, but I can't wait to read and see what this Ka(t)y actually did :D

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

I enjoyed reading your review on this, I find it interesting that there are still apparently people who haven't yet read the book (I'm not criticising, though!!). This wasn't my personal first ever Agatha Christie, but it is one of the two-three favorites of mine :) I would recommend Murder on the Orient Express if you want to continue on the path and want to read another good 'un :) Poirot's in it, so you would have to try and get along with him for a while....

And like you, I had no idea what was happening and how. It was mind boggling! :D

Edited by frankie

I love the spineless classic picture on your wall! What a great idea :)Jänet, I liked the ones you showed pictures of, too! And I have to confess I wasn't bothered at all that Thomas Hardy was a bit misplaced... I'm still bitter about having to have read his Tess for uni :lol:

Really, frankie - I never knew that! :giggle2:

I'm not quite sure why there's all this indentation business... Oh yes I managed to sort it out, phew! Good old BBCode Mode :D

I don't think I can get the quotes working, though, so I'll be using a color scheme... I'll put your books and quotes in some nice bold purple, the way you might like it :smile2:

Moll Flanders by Danie Defoe

I just realised I have no idea what purple really is :D I don't know all the Finnish colors, either, so even if I got the Finnish translation of 'purple' right, I might still get the color wrong... Okay googled so I assume that's pretty much okay.

Okay back to your review on the book! (Would you like some syrup with the waffle I've made you... :giggle:)

Yet another book we agree upon :D But wait, there's a book you've recently mentioned which we disagree upon... Just wait... :D As for this one, at least you got to cross it off the 1001 list :lol:

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

I was really happy to hear that you enjoyed the book, it having the kind of covers and title that just grabs you, and the blurb...
Especially when you were going in the direction where I thought oh boy, this was one of those one-in-ten books... :D You wicked thing, you!

The covers don't speak to me, personally, neither does the title :shrug: But from the blurb I see how it might be a good read, and your review is certainly advocating this school of thought, but I wonder if this, in the end, is just not my kind of book. Is it chick-littish? I don't
mind chick-lit at all, but if this case I might not bear it..?

The Queen of Whale Cay by Kate Summerscale

Great review (as always!) :) I remember you nominated this for a reading circle last year, or maybe in 2011... I believe it was the circle I was to host, so that's why I remember (no, I'm not a stalker :blush:). I'm glad you finally got the read the book :D

Carstairs sounds like a really interesting, quirky character, but I agree with you, she doesn't sound all that lovely and endearing, not
having liked animals etc. And the doll? That's pretty weird... It's totally different from having your own Bimbo. Alan's not afraid of
Bimbo, is he? And neither are anyone else in your circle of friends? That's what I thought.

Going on my wishlist... I'm going to have to count how many books I'm going to add to my wishlist thanks to reading your reading log today :D Well at least Wonder I already had on my wishlist, so eventhough your review of it was great and made me want to read it, I can't blame that on you and you alone :D

The Journal of Dora Damage by Belinda Starling

This is most certainly going on my wishlist! Despite/partly because of the perverseness :giggle2: Seriously speaking, sounds like a great read, and I was very sorry to read that the author had passed on so soon after finishing the novel :( Adds a certain gloominess to the book.

Small Change for Stuart by Lissa Evans

Another one for the wishlist :D I'm kind of in the mood for children's/YA books :)

Moonlight in Odessa by Janet Skeslien Charles

Now we are moving on to something I said you'd have to wait and see... No, I've not read this book, but I've read the Ukrainian Tractor book and that one I didn't like :o And I assume you did, going by your non-loathing reference to the book in this review.

You said that if one likes the UT book, this should be a pleasing read, too... I didn't enjoy the former, and therefore I'm a bit hesitant with this one, too, but then again, why bear grudges (it's not like we're talking MB or Tess :giggle2:), I'll see if I like this one. I like the premise after all :)

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

I'm so sorry that you didn't get along with the audio version :( I really dislike it when a perfectly good and enjoyable book is in some way or another 'lessoned' by the audio version. But then again, all adaptions run the risk of it... I hope you will forget all about it and then come by the booky version in the future and read it :giggle2:

Anyhow, this is totally up my alley and will go on the wishlist!

A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen

Call me shallow, but had I known what James looks like, I would've already ordered a copy of this … :giggle: I'm an awful person!

I do have this already on my wishlist, it sounds like a great read all in all. I like these kinds of doggy/kitty books. :yes:

And Bob's so adorable, too! :)

The Tiny Wife by Andrew Kaufman

A really great review, I don't think I've ever heard of this novella but it's definitely going on my wishlist :D I love odd reads. They might go straight above my head, but that's alright :)

Dot by Araminta Hall

Yes, this is going on my wishlist as well. Honestly, reading your book log is very very dangerous... I'm now going to count the titles going on my wishlist because of you:

(The Misremembered Man I had already added the last time, as well as The Girl Who Circumnavigated)

Okay I'm adding 12 books... !!! :D No, wait, I don't think I already have The Queen of Whale Cay, so it's 13 books! Other titles I have mentioned while reading your log are ones that have already been added before. Sheesh!

I love the Ripley series.  Especially the next two, Ripley Under Ground and Ripley's Game.  There is another film as well starring the amazing and wonderful John Malkovich as Ripley (Ripley's Game).  He does a fantastic job on Ripley.  A must see.

Uneasy is the perfect way to describe those books.  Good Review! :)

Thanks pont :) I didn't know there was another film .. hmmm .. I might be brave enough to watch it :) The books are on my radar now .. I love the covers and so if I see any of them when out and about they're bound to come home with me :D

I've spent a few hours very blissfully, reading through your reading log. All the new reviews and some of the older ones. It's been a hoot, but it's also kind of worrying how many books I now have to add to my wishlist :D More than a dozen!!

I'm sorry but I'll be posting a few on here now to comment :blush: I never learn my lesson: I should not go a day without reading your log, because otherwise your magnificent reviews and all wonderful posts just accumulate and then it takes a long time to read through all of them (although it's always a huge pleasure when I finally get to it! :wub:).

Awww thanks frankie :friends0: I'm always adding books recommended by you too .. what a shame we don't live around the corner from each other .. I could just post a fave book through your letterbox every week and vice versa. Then if you hated it you could throw it out the window at me as I try to post the next one :giggle2:  Bet after a month I'd be wearing a crash helmet :D

Don't be sorry about posting comments ... it's the one thing keeping poppyshake alive :D .. if she didn't have comments to read she'd only play with matches (why am I talking about myself in the third person? .. that's a worrying new symptom :D)

It does, doesn't it? It's quite odd, and I'm not even a real huge fan of pink, I think it's a color just like any other (that kind of rhymed!). :shrug: Very sweeeeet!  

Very Dr Seuss :D I don't like pink much either as a rule .. so why I suddenly thought of it I don't know but thankfully it hasn't turned out bad. There's a little bit of pink paint left and I'm trying not to do a 'Mr Pooter' with it and go around randomly painting things :D Alan mixed the colour spesh for me :wub: .. the shop bought one just wasn't quite right.

I've seen the title of this come up here and there these last few months, and it's always reminded me of a James Herriot book. I checked him on wikipedia and he doesn't actually have a title in English that resembles the title of Balding's book, but I'm suspecting the Finnish translation title is what's making me confused. I tried reading the Herriot book once but didn't like it for some reason :shrug: So I just never really gave this book a chance. Now I've read your review and I'm adding it to my wishlist :) I'm not a fan of horses, either, they scare me and I'd just rather keep away... But if you still managed to read the book and enjoy it, I think I will be safe, too!

Is the book you're thinking of My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell? Clare Balding actually says she got special permission from the Durrell family to use this as the basis for her title. I'm scared of horses too, but the book is fantastic, and I'd highly recommend it!

Great review, and I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed the book, but I always thought you would :smile2: I'd seen the movie many a time, and quite liked it, but I always figured I wouldn't like the book... Somehow I had prejudices against Highsmith, and I don't even have a reason as to why... But then I picked the book up and it was good!

And yes, it's on the 1001 list :P:D

woohoo!! I thought it was :b7ydance: .. that takes me to 127 :) .. now that's only ... *runs to get calculator* .. 874 to go!! Given that it's taken a lifetime to read 127 .. I'm not hopeful :D

It's funny how we get prejudices about books and authors .. I've got one about Coelho and I don't even know why :confused: Glad you overcame yours and read TTMR :)

Yes, you've not quite let that one go yet have you? :giggle2: I like all the other pics too but don't know if I have room for them .. or money to buy them with :blush2: 

Quoting Kidsmum:

"Happy wedding anniversary Poppy, i love your book piccies. It's our 24th anniversary next month ( not trying to be competitive honest) & i shall be showing hubby your post so he knows what kind of standard i expect for future anniversaries. Perhaps Alan should write his own book giving hopeless hubbies tips on how to be a thoughtful husband"

frankie says: I'm loving the book piccies, too! And happy belated Anniversary, and say congrats to Alan for me, as well :smile2: I like Kidsmum's idea of her showing her hubby the post so he'll know what to do :D And yeah, Alan should definitely feature in your reading log, poppyshake :D

Thanks frankie :friends0: .. I will pass your condolences congratulations on to Alan. He keeps threatening to join the BCF actually .. which is a terrifying thought. I would have to clean up my act quick sharp and drop the Colin Firth comments ;) Anyway, if he had a bookblog on here it would be sadly neglected like his Goodreads account which I always end up updating   :shrug: bless him though .. between working and mixing pink paint he hasn't got a lot of time :D 

Awww thanks frankie :friends0: I'm always adding books recommended by you too .. what a shame we don't live around the corner from each other .. I could just post a fave book through your letterbox every week and vice versa. Then if you hated it you could throw it out the window at me as I try to post the next one :giggle2:  Bet after a month I'd be wearing a crash helmet :D

Oh as if... It would be bloody heavenful if I lived next door to you!! :smile2: Honest! If I'm being very, very serious, and going through books in my mind, and my dislikes and likes, you are honestly the person on here who has the most similar reading tastes to mine. One of these days I'm going to fly over to UK and meet you, and then you'll be sorry :lol: :lol:

Don't be sorry about posting comments ... it's the one thing keeping poppyshake alive :D .. if she didn't have comments to read she'd only play with matches (why am I talking about myself in the third person? .. that's a worrying new symptom :D)

It's not posting comments I'm afraid, it's just that it really doesn't make any sense leaving your reading log to the last, if there's many to go through. This might not make sense to you, but yours is one of my favorite reading log, and just like with a bag of candy, I usually leave the best ones til last. Unfortunately the candy bag on here is so plentiful that I have to go through a lot of great reading blog candy until I can get to yours, one of the best! :blush:

I'd be more afraid about the matches comment, than the third person dialogue.... Matches... I've been watching too many eps of Criminal Minds! Now, I have to ask: do you still wet your pajamas. Do you harm animals. If not, we're safe :D You're not a sociopath :D

Very Dr Seuss :D I don't like pink much either as a rule .. so why I suddenly thought of it I don't know but thankfully it hasn't turned out bad. There's a little bit of pink paint left and I'm trying not to do a 'Mr Pooter' with it and go around randomly painting things :D Alan mixed the colour spesh for me :wub: .. the shop bought one just wasn't quite right.

I did wonder about the pink... Because I remember your purple thing... Although I have to say, didn't the socks I sent you (courtesy of Mum) have pink and turquoise in them? But I did think you were more purple than pink :)

Who's Mr Pooter? It's one of those things I don't get as a foreign person, sorry :) Awww Alan's so nice, mixing the paints... You two are my idols!

Is the book you're thinking of My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell? Clare Balding actually says she got special permission from the Durrell family to use this as the basis for her title. I'm scared of horses too, but the book is fantastic, and I'd highly recommend it!

Chesil, you're the man!! How did you know :D This is the book I meant. I had a teeny tiny feeling the James Herriot book might not be the one I was talking about, but I had no other idea... You are a real search-book-guru, and I bow to thee :D

Edit: And yes, the James Herriot book is the one I tried reading. This was, however, years and years ago, wayyyy before I joined the forum. I didn't like it back then... But I might have to give it another go now :shrug:

Edited by frankie

There's a little bit of pink paint left and I'm trying not to do a 'Mr Pooter' with it and go around randomly painting things :D

Whatever you do, don't paint the bathtub! :D

Frankie, Pooter is the main character in Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith. He gets some red paint and likes the effect so much that he starts painting other things red, including the bathtub. But when he has a bath, the paint comes off and makes the water red, and for a moment he thinks he's bleeding. :D