Kidsmum's Reading Log 2013

Kidsmum

Athena - I've read Pillars Of The Earth & it's sequel World Without End by Follet they're both huge books but i got through them quite quickly as they're the sort of books that are hard to put down once you start on them. Last month i read A Place Called Freedom as well which was also a really good read so i would say that Mr Follet tells a good tale. :D

I also have Fall Of Giants as well so if you get round to reading it first i'd be interested to read your thoughts on it Athena  :smile:

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier and Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day by Winifred Watson are both EXCELLENT choices.  Falling Angels is my favourite Chevalier, and Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day was my first Persephone books, and I read it in a day - so charming I couldn't put it down! :smile2:

Edited by chesilbeach

Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier and Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day by Winifred Watson are both EXCELLENT choices.  Falling Angels is my favourite Chevalier, and Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day was my first Persephone books, and I read it in a day - so charming I couldn't put it down! :smile2:

I'd echo that: FA is my favourite Chevalier too, one of my six-star reads.  Miss Pettigrew came mighty close (not sure why it didn't quite make it), but I do remember it was definitely unputdownable.  Charming describes it perfectly.

Athena - I've read Pillars Of The Earth & it's sequel World Without End by Follet they're both huge books but i got through them quite quickly as they're the sort of books that are hard to put down once you start on them. Last month i read A Place Called Freedom as well which was also a really good read so i would say that Mr Follet tells a good tale. :D

I also have Fall Of Giants as well so if you get round to reading it first i'd be interested to read your thoughts on it Athena  :smile:

x

That's great to hear, that you like those :)! I'll be sure to post my thoughts on it when I read it.

I like the two Tracey Chevalier books I have read, so hopefully Falling Angels will be just as good. From the sound of things, it will be!

I'd like to hear what you think of The Long Song, when you get around to it. I really enjoyed Small Island and Never Far from Nowhere.

I'd echo that: FA is my favourite Chevalier too, one of my six-star reads.  Miss Pettigrew came mighty close (not sure why it didn't quite make it), but I do remember it was definitely unputdownable.  Charming describes it perfectly.

That's great that you both rate the Chevalier so highly as i nearly didn't get it, i really liked The Girl With The Pearl Earring when i read it but wasn't blown away by her latest book The Last Runaway. Miss Pettigrew was a great find, after reading Still Missing & enjoying it so much i really want to read more books from the Persephone Classics.  :smile:

A great haul, Kidsmum.   I read Silas Marner a couple of years ago and I loved it.   :)

Thanks Janet it'll be a re read for me but it was such a nice edition i couldn't resist  :D

x

That's great to hear, that you like those :)! I'll be sure to post my thoughts on it when I read it.

Look forward to reading them Athena  :smile:

I'd like to hear what you think of The Long Song, when you get around to it. I really enjoyed Small Island and Never Far from Nowhere.

I read Small Island as well & thought it was very good, i've not heard of Never Far From Nowhere though so i'll have to check it out. Will definitely let you know what i think of The Long Song when i get round to it Bobbly  :D

That's great that you both rate the Chevalier so highly as i nearly didn't get it, i really liked The Girl With The Pearl Earring when i read it but wasn't blown away by her latest book The Last Runaway. Miss Pettigrew was a great find, after reading Still Missing & enjoying it so much i really want to read more books from the Persephone Classics.  :smile:

I've definitely found that Chevalier's books for me range from very, very enjoyable to rather average. None I've hated, just not been anywhere near as enjoyable as other.

It was OH's day off today & we went out to Wetherby for lunch also  had a browse round the charity shops, pastures new & i came home with

Falling Angels  Tracy Chevalier

Scoop  Evelyn Waugh

Being Dead  Jim Crace

Eye Of The Needle  Ken Follet

The Little Disturbances of Man  Grace Paley

Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day  Winifred Watson

The Long Song  Andrea Levy

Sexing The Cherry  Jeanette Winterson

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists  Robert Tressell

Silas Marner  George Eliot

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea  Jules Verne

St Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves  Karen Russell

I'm especially pleased with the Winifred Watson as it's a Persephone Classic which seem to be quite expensive to buy new & the Silas Marner & Jules Verne are both lovely Readers Digest hard back editions with nice illustrations & as good as new & who could resist a title like St Lucy's Home for Girls......  not me  ;)

You have some great stuff there!  The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists is a real classic, and if you have the Persephone edition of Miss Pettigrew you've done well - it's a beautiful object as well as a thoroughly charming story.

I have Small Island on my TBR. Should I squeeze it in this month kidsmum? It will be my next after my current read.

Oh definitely, if you get a wriggle on you'll  squeeze it in before the end of the month VF  :D

I've definitely found that Chevalier's books for me range from very, very enjoyable to rather average. None I've hated, just not been anywhere near as enjoyable as other.

I have The Lady & the Unicorn & Remarkable Creatures on my TBR pile as well so i hope they come out on the enjoyable side rather than the mediocre one  :D

You have some great stuff there!  The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists is a real classic, and if you have the Persephone edition of Miss Pettigrew you've done well - it's a beautiful object as well as a thoroughly charming story.

Thanks Roland, my sister recommended The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists to me as well it's one of her favourite books. I usually pass my books on when i've finished with them but i think i shall be hanging on to Miss Pettigrew  :smile:

I have The Lady & the Unicorn & Remarkable Creatures on my TBR pile as well so i hope they come out on the enjoyable side rather than the mediocre one  :D

Yes! In fact, these would rank 2 and 3 out of all the books of hers I've read (and I think it's only the latest one I haven't read). :smile2:

Edited by chesilbeach

Yes! In fact, these would rank 2 and 3 out of all the books of hers I've read (and I think it's only the latest one I haven't read). :smile2:

Not read either of those - they sound promising.  I've only read three of her books, so can't comment over authoritatively on the range, but what I have read doesn't disagree:  I rated Fallen Angels the highest, with Girl with a Pearl Earring close behind.  Burning Bright was fine, but never quite captured me in the same way.  I wanted it to, it's largely set round where I was born, but for me there wasn't quite the same sparkle.

Edited by willoyd

Not read either of those - they sound promising.  I've only read three of her books, so can't comment over authoritatively on the range, but what I have read doesn't disagree:  I rated Fallen Angels the highest, with Girl with a Pearl Earring close behind.  Burning Bright was fine, but never quite captured me in the same way.  I wanted it to, it's largely set round where I was born, but for me there wasn't quite the same sparkle.

I really enjoyed Girl With A Pearl Earring as well, i haven't heard of Burning Bright though

I read Burning Bright a few years ago - because it featured the poet William Blake.   I loved the descriptions of London but I found it rather lacked in substance and it annoyed me a bit where the author kept repeating the name of the village someone originally hailed from - like she thought we wouldn't be able to remember it for ourselves - it grated.  It kind of put me off trying anything else by her (I didn't enjoy the film of Girl with a Pearl Earring), sadly. 

I haven't read The Lady and the Unicorn, but I did enjoy Remarkable Creatures. :smile:

Seems like Burning Bright is one to avoid then. I thought her latest book The Last Runaway was a bit meh as well, i was interested in the stuff about the Quakers & the underground railroad & would like to read more about them but the basic story & some of the characters were a bit silly, shame because it started off well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading Wool Hugh Howey , i'll put down my thoughts about it soon as it's been one of my most enjoyable reads of the year so far. Also picked up a few more books over the last few days

The Age Of Innocence  Edith Wharton

A Dangerous Fortune  Ken Follett

Thirteen Moons  Charles Frazier

The Edith Wharton i thought i already owned but when i went checked through all my books i couldn't find it so was really pleased when i came across a like new copy in the charity shop. The Ken Follett i chose because it's set in  Victorian England, my favourite period setting for stories & the Charles Frazier just because it was BOGOF & i couldn't make up my mind for the second book & i enjoyed Cold Mountain by him.

Thanks Charliepud, it was a great read  :smile:  I checked out the library catalogue & they have the second book in the series in my local library i'm so tempted to pop down & get it but i really need to start reading my own books as well  :blush2:

i had a lovely book filled day today, Hubby & i went to Skipton for lunch today & a nose round the charity shops & we came home with

Cheerful Weather For The Wedding  Julia Strachey

Good Evening Mrs Craven: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter - Downes

Someone At A Distance  Dorothy Whipple

These were all in the same charity shop & are  Persephone Classics, i couldn't believe my luck & literally jumped up & down i was so excited when i found them. The covers are absolutely beautiful & are worth keeping just for those alone  :jump:     

I also bought from other shops

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake  Aimee Bender -  Just couldn't resist the title

Great Classic Library  The Moonstone/ The Haunted Hotel / My Lady's Money  Wilkie Collins - I've read the Moonstone but haven't heard of the other two so bought it for those.

The Road  Cormac McCarthy - got this recommendation off the dystopian novels thread & i so enjoyed Wool i want to read more of this sort of stuff.

The Machine Gunners  Robert Westall - i remember reading & enjoying this one at school so got to read to my own children.

When we got home i went down to the library to collect a book i'd reserved Light  Margaret Elphinstone, i blame this one on Willoyd who mentioned it on another thread & it sounded so good i wanted to read it straight away; luckily the library had a copy so it's going to be my next read  :D