Kidsmum's Reading Log 2013

Kidsmum

I like that resolution! :)  I've been interested in reading Bleak House, too, but like you said, the size of the novel is a bit daunting... I'm very happy to hear you've been enjoying it, though! :)

A great haul :D I loved My Cousin Rachel, I hope you will enjoy it, too :) And I'm definitely looking forward to your thoughts on Parrot & Olivier :)

Ooooops.... :D Never mind, though, like others have previously stated, you're in good (or bad??) company, I'm sure loads of members on here have acquired more books than they've read this year so far :lol:  I had to giggle a bit, though, because after that you'd already acquired a half a dozen more books :giggle2:

I really enjoyed Bleak House Frankie & would definitely recommend it even though it is a marathon read.

Good to hear you enjoyed My Cousin Rachel, i really like Daphne Du Maurier & have got quite a few of her books on my TBR pile. The Parrot & Oliver book was in the damaged box outside a bookshop & was a bargain at £1, too good to resist although i didn't try very hard to anyway  :D

Yes as you say i've added even more books to my pile since but i blame my sister for that but i gave her lots of books as well so that kind of balances it out a bit  :giggle2:

I've read that a lot lately, that the size of a book is daunting. I'm intrigued - why? That may seem to have an obvious answer, but I've always felt that it's actually counter-intuitive: if you enjoy it the enjoyment will last longer, and if you don't you don't have to read any more than a more conventionally sized book. The only time I think a big book daunting in size is if one has a time limit for reading it.

I would never not read a book because it was too long but i have to be in the right mood for starting a door stopper especially if it's something like Dickens that requires a greater level of concentration than a lighter read of the same length. I really enjoyed Bleak House & have decided that i want to read more Dickens but i will wait till the winter time when the dark nights seem to lend themselves to that kind of tome   ;)

Very nice!

The Sea is one of my all time favorites, even though it took me 3 readings to get the various timelines down correctly.  heh

Pat Barker is wonderful, I haven't read that one, but have read her Regeneration trilogy, and you don't get better!

John L Carre......yum!

I read My Cousin Rachel so long ago, I don't really remember anything except that I enjoyed it. 

Why stop buying books?  After all, there may be an ink shortage, a tree/paper shortage, the electric may go out....one never knows about these things.  :doh:   I say, be prepared.  :readingtwo:  :grinhat:  

I remember you said John Banville was one of your favourite authors & so snapped it up when i saw it as i haven't read anything by him yet, i'm always on the look out for new authors. I have a few of Pat Barkers on my TBR pile but haven't got round to them yet. 

Your absolutely right there could be an ink shortage or even a zombie apocalypse which would keep me indoors   :hide:

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't spot this post when it first went up.  Are you from near Otley Kidsmum, or was this just a visit?  Only ask, because it's our nearest town, and I've done some good book shopping there in the past.  Not just the charity shops; Just Books, the remainder shop, always seems to have an interesting selection (at least to me!).  The one downside is that the independent bookshop (Manor Books) didn't survive the retirement of its owners - just couldn't compete.  And my favourite second hand bookshop (Chevin Books) also closed. I think that was mainly because he is doing more and more business online, but it did highlight one of the disadvantages of having such a density of charity shops, all of whom have advantages over commercial retail - staffed by volunteers and not liable to rates.  It's great for tourism, but not so good for local business.

Yes i'm from Leeds so we go to Otley quite regularly usually to the farmers market but sometimes book shopping as well. We do a trawl of the charity shops first then have a look round the bookshops. Is Chevin Books the one that was on a couple of floors? The secondhand bookshop we found was just round the corner from where that used to be, up a little side street. All the books were £1.50 or 4 for £5.00 so it should be able to compete with all the charity shops & while we were there quite a few people came in so hopefully it'll be there to stay.

Yes, on the corner of Manor Square.  i think it's a tea shop now - almost as ubiquitous as the charity shops!

Farmers' market is brilliant though, isn't it?!

Have to admit, since the demise of Manor and Chevin Books, I do most of my local book shopping in Ilkley, although, as OH works in Otley and we're in for food shopping (Bondgate Bakery!!), I do get to visit some of the Otley shops on occasions.

I really enjoyed Bleak House Frankie & would definitely recommend it even though it is a marathon read.

Good to hear you enjoyed My Cousin Rachel, i really like Daphne Du Maurier & have got quite a few of her books on my TBR pile. The Parrot & Oliver book was in the damaged box outside a bookshop & was a bargain at £1, too good to resist although i didn't try very hard to anyway  :D

I remember you said John Banville was one of your favourite authors & so snapped it up when i saw it as i haven't read anything by him yet, i'm always on the look out for new authors. I have a few of Pat Barkers on my TBR pile but haven't got round to them yet. 

Your absolutely right there could be an ink shortage or even a zombie apocalypse which would keep me indoors   :hide:

I need to read Bleak House.  :(  Drat, so many books, and what time?  grrr!

I'm glad. :D

Ohhhhh, didn't even consider the zombie apocalypse!  :eek: !!!!!!!!!! :D  Thanks for the reminder! /giggle/

Why stop buying books?  After all, there may be an ink shortage, a tree/paper shortage, the electric may go out....one never knows about these things.  :doh:   I say, be prepared.  :readingtwo:  :grinhat:

x

Ohhhhh, didn't even consider the zombie apocalypse! :eek: !!!!!!!!!! :D Thanks for the reminder! /giggle/

x

That is an awesome point of view (how do you say it, a person to my heart?)

x

That's great to hear! I'll have to try it sometime, Charles Dickens' books have intimidated me so far XD.

I'm really happy to hear that, for some reason this is the Dickens I'm looking forward to the most, I think a friend of mine watched some TV adaptation and praised it to high heavens :D

Have you heard of Tom-All-Alone's? I haven't read it yet and I really can't remember how (not having read Bleak House), but in some way or another it's related to the book and is supposed to be a really good read, too :)

The Parrot & Oliver book was in the damaged box outside a bookshop & was a bargain at £1, too good to resist although i didn't try very hard to anyway  :D

Definitely a bargain! Awww poor book, put in the damaged books box outside, in the cold... :empathy:  I'm glad you rescued it!

Yes as you say i've added even more books to my pile since but i blame my sister for that but i gave her lots of books as well so that kind of balances it out a bit  :giggle2:

Haha, yes, it's good to balance things out... What great sisterhood you two have :D

I've read that a lot lately, that the size of a book is daunting. I'm intrigued - why? That may seem to have an obvious answer, but I've always felt that it's actually counter-intuitive: if you enjoy it the enjoyment will last longer, and if you don't you don't have to read any more than a more conventionally sized book. The only time I think a big book daunting in size is if one has a time limit for reading it.

I don't actually know why. I think it might stem from the fact that I used to force myself to finish a book even if I wasn't enjoying it. It doesn't make sense as some of my most enjoyable books have been doorstops! :blush2:

I don't actually know why. I think it might stem from the fact that I used to force myself to finish a book even if I wasn't enjoying it. It doesn't make sense as some of my most enjoyable books have been doorstops! :blush2:

Oh yes, that would certainly do it! :empathy:

xx

That is an awesome point of view (how do you say it, a person to my heart?)

That's virtually it.  :)   We would say, about someone who liked or did something similar "you're a person after my own heart".  :)

ETA:  It seems a really silly thing to say when seen written down though!  :giggle2:

Edited by Janet

That's virtually it.  :)   We would say, about someone who liked or did something similar "you're a person after my own heart".  :)

ETA:  It seems a really silly thing to say when seen written down though!  :giggle2:

Please don't laugh at me for asking... but what does ETA stand for? :blush2:

I only knew it as estimated time of arrival :blush:. I normally just write "EDIT", before I joined this forum I hadn't seen ETA used in the "edited to add" sense.

EDIT: On other forums I was on everyone used "EDIT". "ETA" = edited to add makes a lot of sense!

Edited by Athena

I only knew it as estimated time of arrival :blush:. I normally just write "EDIT", before I joined this forum I hadn't seen ETA used in the "edited to add" sense.EDIT: On other forums I was on everyone used "EDIT". "ETA" = edited to add makes a lot of sense!

this is me too.

Sorry, Devi - in this context it means 'edited to add' - it's quite a common abbreviation in the UK (and also as I leaned to type, from a typing/secretarial background) and everyone is so good at English here that I forget not everyone will know what I'm talking about!  :)

ETA:  Sorry - I didn't realise this had already been answered - still getting to grips with my tablet!

Edited by Janet

I only knew it as estimated time of arrival :blush:. I normally just write "EDIT", before I joined this forum I hadn't seen ETA used in the "edited to add" sense.

EDIT: On other forums I was on everyone used "EDIT". "ETA" = edited to add makes a lot of sense!

And to add fuel to the fire... :D 

I usually use AIE  Added in Edit. 

:P  :giggle2:

Farmers' market is brilliant though, isn't it?!

Absolutely! We never eat supermarket chicken anymore since we started buying the grass fed ones from the market - they just don't compare taste wise :smile:

That's great to hear! I'll have to try it sometime, Charles Dickens' books have intimidated me so far XD.

I felt the same Athena but now that i've read Bleak House i'm keen to try more of his stuff  :readingtwo:

Have you heard of Tom-All-Alone's? I haven't read it yet and I really can't remember how (not having read Bleak House), but in some way or another it's related to the book and is supposed to be a really good read, too :)

I've read & really enjoyed it, i'm sure Willoyd was the one who wrote a review on it & i asked OH to get it for me for Christmas. Actually i'd like to re read it now that i've read Bleak house  :smile:

I'd wondered the same thing too Devi  :D

I've read & really enjoyed it, i'm sure Willoyd was the one who wrote a review on it & i asked OH to get it for me for Christmas. Actually i'd like to re read it now that i've read Bleak house  :smile:

Yes, it was me. I loved it. Reviewed it as follows:

Tom-All-Alone's by Lynn Shepherd ***** (out of 6)

A classic Victorian detective mystery in the tradition of Bleak House and The Woman in White (two of my favourite books) set in classic Victorian London. Indeed, Lynn Shepherd actually positions her novel in a gap between the two stories in such a way that incidents and characters cross over backwards and forwards almost seamlessly between the Victorian novels and their modern counterpart. It's not necessary to have read these classics beforehand, but it certainly adds to the enjoyment if one has. Several of these characters fill out convincingly - for instance the lawyer Tulkinghorn from Bleak House is developed so much further in Shepherd's book. Even more enjoyable are the twists that the author adds; you think you've spotted a parallel, and then she turns things on their head and you realise, very pleasurably, that you've been had.

I loved the settings - this is truly the London of Dickens - and I thoroughly enjoyed the panoply of characters, none less than the central character, Charles Maddox. At one point, I did think that the literary parallels were starting to grate, but then Shepherd picked the pace up and started really developing her own take on the characters, and any sense of irritation evaporated. But above all, I enjoyed the story, and the twists and turns of one of the most intriguing plots I've encountered in a long while. It doesn't surprise me that the reviews on Amazon are so positive: these are no puffs, the book really does deserve the praise. I can't wait to try her earlier novel, Murder at Mansfield Park.

I'd better get around to reading Murder at Mansfield Park now!

Edited by willoyd

• 2 weeks later...

I had to wait for the chemist to fill my prescription so had a quick look round the charity shops to pass time & came home with 

Tinker Tailor Solidier Spy  John Le Carre

State Of Wonder  Ann Patchett

The Piano Tuner  Daniel Mason

The Daylight Gate  Jeanette Winterson

The Good Father  Noah Hawley

Pigeon English  Stephen Kelman

Pigeon English keeps popping up whenever I browse for books, I can't help but think I am meantto read it. Look forward to reading your review when you get to reading it.

Pigeon English keeps popping up whenever I browse for books, I can't help but think I am meantto read it. Look forward to reading your review when you get to reading it.

I've added it to the mountain so hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later when i get round to it  :D

I was a bit disappointed in it, as I heard so much hype about it. It's not that it wasn't a good read, I just didn't find it exceptional or worthy of all the praise.

It was OH's day off today & we went out to Wetherby for lunch also  had a browse round the charity shops, pastures new & i came home with

Falling Angels  Tracy Chevalier

Scoop  Evelyn Waugh

Being Dead  Jim Crace

Eye Of The Needle  Ken Follet

The Little Disturbances of Man  Grace Paley

Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day  Winifred Watson

The Long Song  Andrea Levy

Sexing The Cherry  Jeanette Winterson

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists  Robert Tressell

Silas Marner  George Eliot

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea  Jules Verne

St Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves  Karen Russell

I'm especially pleased with the Winifred Watson as it's a Persephone Classic which seem to be quite expensive to buy new & the Silas Marner & Jules Verne are both lovely Readers Digest hard back editions with nice illustrations & as good as new & who could resist a title like St Lucy's Home for Girls......  not me  ;)

Nice! :)

I only know the Jules Verne book, I have it on the shelf but not read yet. I have one book by Ken Follet, Fall of Giants, I haven't read it yet and don't know much about the author. Have you read other books by this author? I haven't heard much about the other books, nice that you got some nice editions :).