Andrea's reading 2013

~Andrea~

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops - bought another book today: Philosophy of Mind by John Heil. It's a Routledge text book. Hopefully it won't be too heavy going though. I wonder if I'll be able to resist starting it before I've finish the books I'm currently reading? :roll2: Think I'm currently buying books quicker than I can read them doh.

I finished listening to Wuthering Heights. It was good to experience this story again, as it was such a long time ago that I read it. I had forgotten so much of the story it was almost unrecognisable in parts. It was a good audio version, capably read by the excellent Juliet Stevenson, but it did suffer from being abridged. There were parts I remembered reading that didn't appear in the story, and it was the poorer for it. That said, I do remember it being long-winded in places so the abridgement was probably a good thing at those points.

I've decided to give another push on The Making of Modern Britain so that I don't finish Ship of Magic before the weekend; I'm going away on the weekend and I'd like to take it with me, along with Philosophy of Mind. Hopefully soon I'll get my 'currently reading' list down to something a bit more manageable soon as it feels rather overwhelming at the moment.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Don't do what I did and read something else, then something else, then something else, etc etc :rolleyes::D

Well that's my usual trick :) however I think I'm going to set myself the goal of starting the next one before the year ends.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading poppyshake's book log earlier today and caught your post where you said you've started to link recommendations to your wishlist. I think that's a brilliant idea! :smile2: I was wondering if it would be okay if I copied the idea? So far I've only added the username of the recommender in parenthesis after the title, and while it's pretty convenient, I think your idea's way better! (Although there are so many recommendations out there that I might be too lazy to do this for real... But I just thought I'd ask :))

I finished Ship of Magic just before the weekend and thought it was fab.

Ship of Magic centres around the Vestrit family and their ship, the Vivacia, which has been in the family for three generations, and is now about to quicken into a true liveship. Althea Vestrit has longed for this day all of her life. Already partially bonded to the ship she has loved and worked on since a child, she is now ready for the carved figurehead at the helm to awaken, so she can fulfil her destiny to captain the Vivacia and truly realise her family bond with the ship. Inevitably, things don't entirely work out and family politics send her life reeling in another unexpected direction.

I loved this book as I've loved all the Robin Hobbs I've read. It's a true adventure story full of danger and intrigue and unexpected twists. The story had a slightly slower start than the first Assassin novel, but I was engaged from the start. As with the Assassin novels though, I was transported to another world full of interesting characters, and magical ideas, without feeling engulfed in OTT fantasy. The characters were interesting and human enough to make the whole fantastical world believable. The author has a great knack for creating the sights and sounds and smells of day to day life in the worlds she creates so that I really felt plunged into sealife, and the landscapes and culture of the various trading cities was brought vividly to life. There are a lot of strong female characters in this one too, (as well as male) which also appealed. Recommended if you like fantasy, and even if you don't (but perhaps read the Assassin trilogy first as there may be some crossover)

Edited by ~Andrea~

Is Ship of Magic ok to read as a one off book Andrea? Will it make sense ? It sounds interesting but I don't want to have to get into that other trilogy as well.

Well Ship of Magic is the first of the live ship trilogy so it's not really a one-off. As far as the other trilogy: It doesn't give away anything in the farseer trilogy other than referring vaguely to some events. However some of the later live ship books, might go a bit further than that. No characters from the farseer trilogy appear in the live ship books but some events may get mentioned, without being greatly spoilerish. So I think you could read the liveship books first but some of the ideas in the farseer books wouldn't be a complete surprise.

If you have no intention of reading farseer then yes, go ahead and read the liveship books. You don't need farseer as a backstory. However, farseer is an excellent trilogy. I would recommend reading it as well and preferably first.

Sorry, a rather longwinded answer!

Edited by ~Andrea~

Well Ship of Magic is the first of the live ship trilogy so it's not really a one-off. As far as the other trilogy: It doesn't give away anything in the farseer trilogy other than referring vaguely to some events. However some of the later live ship books, might go a bit further than that. No characters from the farseer trilogy appear in the live ship books but some events may get mentioned, without being greatly spoilerish. So I think you could read the liveship books first but some of the ideas in the farseer books wouldn't be a complete surprise.

If you have no intention of reading farseer then yes, go ahead and read the liveship books. You don't need farseer as a backstory. However, farseer is an excellent trilogy. I would recommend reading it as well and preferably first.

That's OK!

x

Good to know! I did put the Farseer trilogy to the left of the Shiptraders one, a good choice then :).

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've started the next live ship book, The Mad Ship to help me get through all the non-fiction. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Philosophy of Mind is going really well but it's quite long and not exactly light reading so I'm only about a third way in.

Edited by ~Andrea~

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good review Andrea. I have enjoyed Talking Heads and Smut, but when I read a synopsis of The Uncommon Reader of few months ago, I thought it might be a bit too ridiculous. I might try and see if the library has a audiobook of The Uncommon Reader (spoken by Alan Bennett) now  :smile: .

• 1 month later...

My poor neglected thread! I'm still reading Ship of Magic and Six Easy Pieces. I'm over half way through the first and about half way through the second. Tut tut, I need to get reading. However in my defence December has been incredibly busy - not only with Christmas, but there are also 5 birthdays in my family, including my own 40th which was a major planning feat!

My reading year has been enjoyable but not as prolific as I'd hoped. My TBR has gone down - but only by 3 books!! Still it's the right direction :D

Edited by ~Andrea~