Nollaig's 2013 Reading

Nollaig

I'm glad you had a lot of fun, it sounds like it was a special experience :). It's cool you got your book signed, those fishies are nice too. I'm a little envious :P.

It was immense. I'm still on a high from it, and can't wait to finish designing my Hanklerfish tattoo. :D

Sounds like a great night Noll , my daughter is so jealous she's become a big John Green fan after reading his books  :smile:

Aww the poor dear, I genuinely feel for her because I know how I would feel if I heard about someone else meeting him!

In other news, I posted the above photoshop picture on Tumblr, and tagged John and Hank as they told us to do, and JOHN GREEN (known as fishingboatproceeds on Tumblr) SAW IT. AND REBLOGGED IT.

Now, a total of 1,127 people have seen, liked, reblogged or commented on a picture of a silly-faced me in a strange hat, photoshopped next to the Vlog Brothers (the number has gone up since I screencapped it yesterday). You can see John Green's comment on it below. Talk about the icing on the cake!

tumblr_zps465846b0.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad you had such an awesome time, Noll, because I know how much you were looking forward to it. :D I must confess that I'm not really familiar with these chaps, but if you're into them, they must be worth knowing, so I'd better look into it. :)

Kylie if you became a nerdfighter, that would be the most awesome thing ever. You should totally check them out. Their main youtube channel is youtube.com/vlogbrothers and there's a '20 Essential Videos' playlist on that channel which covers what Nerdfighteria is. Which is essentially a bunch of awesome people being awesome and reading John's amazing books and listening to Hank's brilliant science and Harry Potter songs. They now also run Crash Course, an online series which teaches History, Literature, Biology and Chemistry. It's epic.

I've actually been taking some reading suggestions from the guys, during my re-watch of their 1000+ videos :D

Feed by M. T. Anderson

Peeps by Scott Westerfeld

are the two I've picked out so far, but I'm hoping to get more ideas from them.

About two thirds of the way through my re-read of The Magicians by Lev Grossman, and I'm looking forward to getting onto the sequel, The Magician King.

I've also started Warm Bodies, by Isaac Marion. I decided to read it before seeing the film, as the general consensus based on reviews around the blagosphere is that the movie is fine, but doesn't really add anything to an already good book. So, book first.

I'm behind in my reading targets, and have less than 10 days left in this too-short month, but I'm hoping to finish both of these and at least 1 more, if not 2 more books by March 1st.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my reading:

Currently reading Tuesdays With Morrie and finishing The Magician King. Hoping to have both complete by Tuesday. After that, I have no idea what I'm going to move on to! I've finished a few more books since I last posted, so reviews coming in the next few days include:

The Enchanted Places by Christopher Robin Milne

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

The New Hunger by Isaac Marion

The Shell House by Linda Newbery

I almost downloaded Warm Bodies today as one of the people I follow on Twitter said she was so pleased people had recommended that she read the book as it was far better than the film. Actually decided to go with a book in a series I'm partway through reading, as I needed to take less of a risk with my reading as it's hit a bit of a sticky patch at the moment, but I definitely think I'll read Warm Bodies at some point.

It is far better than the film, and the prequel is even better than the book, so I have high hopes for the sequel! I'll write up my reviews of Warm Bodies and it's prequel tomorrow for you guys :) You should both definitely check it out at some point though, it really is great!

I loved the film, but I had already read the novel and would recommend to anyone to go that way about things, because the film essentially strips the deeper layers away - but if you have those in the back of your mind from your reading of the book, when you see the film, I think it benefits you endlessly. Certainly did for me.