Bobblybear's Book List - 2013

bobblybear

Safe House - Chris Ewan

Set on the Isle of Man, Rob Hale wakes up in a hospital after a motorcycle accident. He enquires after Lena, a woman who was with him, only to be told that she didn’t exist. The local police block any enquiries and deny all knowledge, so he decides to follow his own investigation. He is aided by Rebecca, a PI, who believes there is a link between this incident and his sisters’ apparent suicide.

This was a pretty decent read, with a lot of twists and turns, but pretty good ones and not too far fetched. Some of these thriller books try to be a bit too clever and just end up either confusing the reader by being overly complicated, or alienating them but being stupid. This was neither, which made it an easy, but interesting read. I remember thinking that the beginning was quite stilted, but a few chapters in and it seemed to find its style. I was eager to find out what happened next, and it was interesting enough for me to finish it in a few days.

3/6

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had not seen your review of World War Z before today BB. 

I've reviewed it over on my book thread as well.  But I only wanted to say that for me, the reading experience was totally different...I was literally dragged along, simply having to know what happened, what strategy and tactics were used to finally defeat.  For me the stories were heart rending, and I found they did refer to each other at times.  I think this is one of those "dividing" books, that people either can't stand, or love. :) 

I love the different strokes!

Pontalba, I think you and I like books that are polar opposites. :D If I recall correctly, you loved Wolf Hall while I hated it. You hated The Crimson Petal and the White, but I loved it. And now, you loved World War Z, while I didn't. Perhaps I should trawl through your reviews and add the books you hate to my wishlist, and you can do similar with books I've hated. :giggle2:

Hyperion - Dan Simmons

It’s the 28th Century, the earth has been destroyed a long time ago, and humanity has populated the solar system. Humanity is run by the Hegemony, and nearly all planets are connected via the WorldWeb. On the planet Hyperion, the Time Tombs are opening, and it is believed the secrets of the universe will be revealed. Seven pilgrims are chosen to make a journey to Hyperion to determine it’s purpose, and on their journey they each share their story of how they are connected with the planet.

There are many interesting concepts, and many references to the Old World. I really liked the idea of the treeships and spinships, and Farcaster portals. Shrike are fascinating and I can’t decide what their intentions are – if they are good or evil. I suspect they are good, but forced to do evil, but I could be totally wrong (wouldn't be the first time  :D ). I’m sure more will be revealed in the next books.

I found the first story – the priests tale – to be the most interesting. I got a bit lost in Brawne Lamia’s story and the concepts of a cybrid. I couldn’t quite get my head around it and

I couldn’t understand how Johnny became human. I think he somehow split off from the TechnoCore? But then why did the other chap - can't remember his name, I think it was BB or something similar - die in the process of helping Johnny?

I did have to read the Wiki Page to fill in the gaps in my understanding, and I think it helped a lot. The main reason I struggle is that a lot of these books tends to drop you in the middle of everything almost without explanation - or without enough explanation for me to understand. I'm not sure if that's because I don't read enough SF (or sci-fi :giggle2: ) and so I don't immediately grasp some concepts. I know that they can't explain everything down to the finest details, or each book would be the size of an encyclopedia, but I feel a bit of frustration when I don't understand something rather than just 'letting go' and enjoying the story and hoping I shall understand more as I go along. That's why I delayed writing this review, because I knew as the book had more time to sink in, I would feel differently about it. I certainly enjoyed it a lot more now than when I finished it a couple of weeks ago.

4.5/6

Edited by bobblybear

Nice review bb :D

The main reason I struggle is that a lot of these books tends to drop you in the middle of everything almost without explanation - or without enough explanation for me to understand. I'm not sure if that's because I don't read enough SF (or sci-fi :giggle2: ) and so I don't immediately grasp some concepts. I know that they can't explain everything down to the finest details, or each book would be the size of an encyclopedia, but I feel a bit of frustration when I don't understand something rather than just 'letting go' and enjoying the story and hoping I shall understand more as I go along.

This is quite common, I think.  You need a 'placeholder system' (I should sell mine - I'd make a fortune :D ).  When I come across something I can't get my head around immediately I try not to get frustrated, remember it for later but go with the flow and keep reading.  If the author doesn't make it clear early on it's usually because they don't want us to understand it at that point, I reckon.  Sooner or later it'll become clear, and it makes discovering the answer that much more enjoyable, rather than having all the frustration at the start :D

Thanks. :smile:  Karsa, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem and that even people who read more SF than I do, still have this same issue. I just assumed it was because of a lack of understanding about some general SF plot devices or themes. Interesting point about the author not wanting us to understand at that point. Perhaps it's not necessary to understand all at the time of reading, and it will all become clear at the end, but sometimes I wonder if I missed something while I was reading, even though I was sure I was paying attention. :blush2: Sometimes I find myself reading, but not necessarily thinking about what I'm reading; I can get away with that in some books, but the more complex ones need a bit more attention. :doh:

Summer - Edith Wharton

Charity Royall is a young woman, who was ‘brought down from the Mountain’ when she was a child by Lawyer Royall who has tasked himself as her guardian. Whilst working in the local library, she meets Lucius Harney, and begins a friendship, which is soon followed by a more romantic relationship.

I don't want to say much more about the plot as it will be discussed in the August Reading Circle thread.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by this book as I generally don’t relate too well to books written so far back (even though I do try!). :hide:  It's a short book - the Kindle version came in at 216 pages - but there is a lot that happens and it has quite a bit of 'story' in those pages. It may even entice me to try another of Wharton's novels, even though it's not usually the kind of genre I read.

3/6

Plague - Lisa C Hinsley

A new strain of the bubonic plague has broken out in London. Nathan, the 4 year old son of Johnny and Liz, begins to show symptoms. When the health officials are notified, their home gets boarded up, locking them all in, and the three of them are forced to deal on their own cut off from the outside world.

I thought this book was a load of garbage, but from the Amazon reviews it would appear I’m in the minority. I started off enjoying it, but a few chapters in I began feeling irritated at the unrealistic dialogue and behavior of the two adults.

I just can’t believe they would talk so openly about their son dying, effectively giving up hope, and then in the end kill him to ‘end his suffering’. And then, Liz constantly thinking about maggots crawling over her son's face – well, I just think a parent in such a state of grief wouldn't be thinking about anything like that, they would be in a state of denial. Oh, and they certainly wouldn't happily sit there eating a meal the day after their husband and son have just died, ffs! (Oh, my loved ones have just died. I think I'll eat a sandwich and have some soup!) :sarcastic:

I’m not a parent, but I just found their actions unbelievable as though it were all written for pure shock value (the descriptions were quite graphic).

Oh, and the ending is stupid as well. There's no pay-off, or anything to close off the story or even make the reader wonder (or care) about what happens to the main character.

Having ranted said all that, none of the negative Amazon reviews mention my gripes, so perhaps I'm way off the mark. :sarcastic:

1/6

I've added Summer to my wishlist, i read Ethan Frome awhile back, that's just a short book as well but very good. The synopsis of Plague sounds really good i can see why you went for it but i couldn't resist looking at the spoiler & i don't think it's a book i'd enjoy. Thanks for the reviews Bobbly  :smile:

Yeah, I would avoid Plague. It just wasn't a pleasant read. :thud:

Updated reading plan:

Hyperion - Dan Simmons

While We're Far Apart - Lynn Austin
The Sisters Brothers - Patrick DeWitt

Safe House - Chris Ewen

Plague - Lisa C Hinsley

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4 - Sue Townsend

The World's Greatest Idea - John Farndon - currently reading, and I suspect I will be reading it for a while!

Megacatastrophes! - David Darling & Dirk Schulze-Makuch - currently reading

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce

World War Z - Max Brooks

Born Liars: Why We Can't Live Without Deceit - Ian Leslie

As I've only got one fiction left on my list, and 3 non-fictions either TBR or currently being read, I might roll-over them over to a new reading plan. Guess it's time to go through my TBR pile! :boogie:

New Reading Plan:

Origin - Randolph Lalonde

Chicken, Mules, and Two Old Fools - Victoria Twead

The Tommyknockers – Stephen King

The Crime of Julian Wells - Thomas H Cook

A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby

The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey

The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals - Wendy Jones

The Etymologicon: A Circular Scroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language - Mark Forsyth

Where'd You Go, Bernadette - Maria Semple

Walden on Wheels: On The Open Road From Debt To Freedom - Ken Ilgunas

The World's Greatest Idea - John Farndon - currently reading

There are a few there from my 2011-and-earlier list, which will be good to read. The Tommyknockers is a re-read. I don't particularly want to re-read books when I have so many unread ones on my pile, but I fancy some old-school King and this is one that I can't remember too much about.

One of my friends really liked The Tommyknockers so I bought it based on his recommendation. There are a few more on your reading plan that are on my TBR or on my wishlist, others I haven't heard of. I hope you like the books in this plan!

Nice reviews btw :)! I've downloaded Summer to my Kindle and might read it for the Reading Circle, soon.

Have to add a few to my wishlist as I went to the library today:

While We're Far Apart - Lynn Austin - currently reading

Origin - Randolph Lalonde

Chicken, Mules, and Two Old Fools - Victoria Twead

The Tommyknockers – Stephen King
The Crime of Julian Wells - Thomas H Cook

A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby

The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey

The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals - Wendy Jones

The Etymologicon: A Circular Scroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language - Mark Forsyth

Where'd You Go, Bernadette - Maria Semple

Walden on Wheels: On The Open Road From Debt To Freedom - Ken Ilgunas

The World's Greatest Idea - John Farndon - currently reading

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Case Histories - Kate Atkinson

NW - Zadie Smith

The Sisters Brothers – Patrick DeWitt

Charlie and Eli Sisters are notorious hired guns, operating during the 1850’s Gold Rush. They work for the Commodore and are sent west to San Francisco to find and kill a man who is believed to be a thief.

The book is narrated by Eli, the marginally more considerate of the brothers, who is slowly getting fed up with their way of life, and would prefer a quieter and less adventurous existence.

Each chapter is almost like a little mini-story, with tales from the adventures they have in various stops along the way. The story is told in a very dry, matter-of-fact fashion which suits it well. There is very little elaboration or dressing up – what happens is told in a most basic manner, which derives from their rather detatched view of things.

It has a few humourous, wry moments which fit in really well. I loved reading about Eli’s relationship with his ailing horse, Tub. I think this part was important to give him a bit of humanity and make the reader a bit fond and more forgiving of his actions.

It has to be one of the best reads of the year for me. It’s quite short, but it's just the right length considering it has no 'filler material' whatsoever.

5/6

Very late getting back to some of the things in your thread, I hope you don't mind!

I read the first Adrian Mole book years ago, when I was probably only 12 or so. Needless to say, I didn't understand it and didn't particularly like it much. So I figured I'd give it a re-read as I'm sure I like it a lot more now that I'm (much) older.

I was very young, too, when I first read the first three books, more than 12 I think but not by much. I would say the political stuff went all over my head and some (most) of the cultural bits, too, but still I liked the books :shrug: Although I still have to say I don't probably know that much more about the politics.. :D

World War Z - Max Brooks

This book is a series of interviews, set 12 years after the ‘victory’ against the Zombie War (or World War Z). Each chapter is an interview with a different person, offering their experiences on how they overcame the zombies. The people represented are global and from all sorts of experiences – political, military, an astronaut on the ISS, a commander in a submarine, and K-9 trainer, to name a few examples.

Apart from the first chapter or so of the book there is very little description of how the epidemic spread. It’s not a plot-driven book at all. It is literally interview after interview. I struggled with this format, as there was no continuity or any character to grab hold of and follow through to the end. It was too disjointed for my liking, with no-one real to relate to. I would have preferred a central group of characters, and following their experiences as they struggled to survive, but I guess that would be a different book entirely, and the author isn’t there to fulfil my requirements. :P

I don’t quite know how to describe it, but I felt the book was a base on which the author could express his world-views on different countries and societies and how they would approach conflict (of any sort – even human to human).

I would have enjoyed reading more about the ‘human experience’ rather than the militia or political experience, but that’s just me, and I don't think that was the point of the book.

2/6

I didn't know about this book until I read somewhere on FB that a friend of mine had gone to see the movie. The next day I came upon the book at a bookstore. Your review is the first one I've read on the book. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it :(  I agree, I would, too, like the social interactions and the people's personal sufferings and dealings to be the main point-of-view. But now that I know they aren't, I'm actually quite keen to read the book. So thank you very much for the review! :)

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce

Harold Fry gets a letter one day from a long lost friend named Queenie. She informs him she is dying of cancer and he decides to post her a reply, but once he arrives at the post box he decides to keep walking. He makes the decision to
walk to her in Berwick on Tweed, from his home in Kingsbridge, South Devon, believing that this will somehow save her life.

It’s perhaps a bit of a silly reason for connecting with the book but he started his journey not too far from I live, and he described in detail some local places which I am familiar with, so I found the early parts of his journey very enjoyable.

However, there was something about the story that was lacking. When you think of the effort Harold put through to achieve his journey, it seemed like the pay-off should have been much greater, or the conclusion should have been more powerful. Maybe some people will think it was strong enough, but for me it wasn't. Something about it seemed lukewarm all the way through, like it was a bit restrained, and I just felt like the character's weren't really transformed like they should have been.

That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it, because I did. I just felt I should have enjoyed it more.

3/6

Too bad you didn't enjoy it as much as you would've wanted. The premise of the novel sounds so good! I guess in this book the journey was more important than the actual destination...? :shrug:

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 - Sue Townsend

I doubt this one requires an introduction but here is a brief one anyway. Teenager, Adrian Mole keeps a diary over the period of about two years, following the dramas of his adolescent life – his parents failing marriage, his crush on Pandora, and his view of the current events from his self-appointed position as an ‘intellectual’.

:D Yep, it's quite ... interesting that he should think so very highly of himself :giggle2:

Like many other people, I first read this when I was in my early teens or maybe I was a pre-teen. I recall hearing all about it at school and it was one of those books you ‘had to read’. I don’t know if I was too young, or too naïve, but I just didn’t get the book at the time. In fact, re-reading it now, I would say that every single subtlety went over my head. No wonder I didn't like it, because it's all about the subtleties. :D

I love the innocence of Adrian Mole in his observations (for example, about his mother and their neighbour). I particularly liked the books he was choosing to read depending on what was going on in his life at the time, and his complete misinterpretation of them. At one point he decided he wanted to be a vet so he read Animal Farm. :giggle2:

I'd forgotten all about that :lol: Townsend is wicked that way :cool:

I had not seen your review of World War Z before today BB. 
I've reviewed it over on my book thread as well.  But I only wanted to say that for me, the reading experience was totally different...I was literally dragged along, simply having to know what happened, what strategy and tactics were used to finally defeat.  For me the stories were heart rending, and I found they did refer to each other at times.  I think this is one of those "dividing" books, that people either can't stand, or love. :)
I love the different strokes!

Your comment was very interesting, you and bobbly having such different views on the book... I think I'm having to add this to my wishlist :) And for the 'recommenders' I will add both you and bobbly :D

Pontalba, I think you and I like books that are polar opposites. :D If I recall correctly, you loved Wolf Hall while I hated it. You hated The Crimson Petal and the White, but I loved it. And now, you loved World War Z, while I didn't. Perhaps I should trawl through your reviews and add the books you hate to my wishlist, and you can do similar with books I've hated. :giggle2:

What a great idea :D :D

This is quite common, I think.  You need a 'placeholder system' (I should sell mine - I'd make a fortune :D ).  When I come across something I can't get my head around immediately I try not to get frustrated, remember it for later but go with the flow and keep reading.

:D You should get a patent for that term: 'placeholder system'. :giggle2:

This is quite common, I think. You need a 'placeholder system' (I should sell mine - I'd make a fortune :D ). When I come across something I can't get my head around immediately I try not to get frustrated, remember it for later but go with the flow and keep reading. If the author doesn't make it clear early on it's usually because they don't want us to understand it at that point, I reckon. Sooner or later it'll become clear, and it makes discovering the answer that much more enjoyable, rather than having all the frustration at the start :D

Yes, you taught me this but I keep forgetting it :D

Great review of The Sisters Brothers bobbs :) .. glad you liked it :) There must be a film surely?

I was very young, too, when I first read the first three books, more than 12 I think but not by much. I would say the political stuff went all over my head and some (most) of the cultural bits, too, but still I liked the books :shrug: Although I still have to say I don't probably know that much more about the politics.. :D

That's ok, I'm rubbish at understanding politics too. :D

Your comment was very interesting, you and bobbly having such different views on the book... I think I'm having to add this to my wishlist :) And for the 'recommenders' I will add both you and bobbly :D

It has received so many mixed reviews, it's a definite Marmite book. Who knows - you may be one of those who love it rather than loathe it. :smile:

BB, I'm so glad you liked The Sister Brothers.  :D  I thought it was great.  But it puts the kibosh on my earlier theory......... :giggle2:

Yeah, I know! :giggle: Oh well, it was a good theory while it lasted! :thud:

Great review of The Sisters Brothers bobbs :) .. glad you liked it :) There must be a film surely?

According to Wikipedia, the film rights have been sold to John C Reilly's film company so hopefully one will soon be in the making (as long as it's done 'right'). I've never been a big fan of Western films, but this is one I would definitely be interested in.

Yeah, The Sisters Brothers is great - glad you enjoyed it bb :D

Thanks, Karsa! It certainly was a good one! :D

Set in the middle of WW2, widower Eddie signs up to the Army leaving his two young children – Esther and Peter – in the shared care of his grandmother and her neighbour Penny (who has always had a crush on him). Penny looks after them in Eddie’s apartment, and befriends his Jewish neighbour, Jacob. Jacob's son is in Hungary and appears to be missing, although he receives occasional letters from his (Jacob's son) wife. Meanwhile, Penny has always felt at odds with her elderly parents who criticise her every action, and she sees this new situation as an opportunity to break free from them and forge a life of her own, believing that once Eddie returns from the war he will fall in love with her and marry her.

Religion features quite heavily in this, with the constant message about leaving thing in God’s hands. Towards the end, I felt it was shoved quite hard down my throat with chunks of scripture quotes. Needless to say, I skipped those bits and the additional preaching that went alongside.

This as well as the author’s overuse of ‘conniption fit’ (which once you notice, you can’t ignore can you?), irritated me. It’s a slow story and for about the first 3/4s nothing really seems to happen, and I found it a bit frustrating. I thought the ending was too saccharine sweet and utterly predictable. Every thing worked out a bit too nicely for everyone and so the story lacked a real dramatic impact.

A lot of people give it 4 and 5 star reviews. For me, it was readable, but not compellingly so.

3/6

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Nick Dunne’s wife, Amy, goes missing on the day of their 5th wedding anniversary. The events following the days after her disappearance are told via Nick’s point of view. These chapters are alternated by Amy’s diary entries in the years preceding her disappearance, each giving an (incomplete) insight into their feelings towards each other.

Nick soon becomes the key suspect. He maintains his innocence, but her diary and her friends reveal a few things about her true feelings towards him.

Well, I absolutely loved it. It really keeps the reader guessing, as each narrative tells conflicting things, and it’s difficult to decipher who is telling the truth.

I can’t reveal too much or it will give key parts away but I thought the

change in tone of Amy’s voice was brilliant when we find out how sociopathic and psychopathic she was. It was such a contrast from the chirpy and bubbly Amy of her earlier diary entries, and she must be one of the most disturbed characters in fiction.

The only thing I had mixed feelings about was the ending. It seemed too far-fetched and I wish

Amy had got her comeuppance instead of getting away with it all. And the thought of her being a mother? *shudder*

I know a lot of people who read it had mixed reviews. But for me, it's one of the best thrillers I have ever read, and the characterisation of Nick and Amy is so brilliant, especially considering how complex they are. Not one to be missed; I shall be recommending it to others.

5/6

Edited by bobblybear

Case Histories - Kate Atkinson

Jackson Brodie is an ex-police officer, now working as a private investigator.

The book opens with 3 old (over 10 years old at least) unsolved mysteries:

- Olivia Land, 3 years old, goes missing from her backyard after camping out with her big sister, Amelia, in the 1970's

- Theo Wyre’s daughter Laura, is killed on her first day of work at his law firm by someone who appeared to have a grudge against him

- Michelle, a young overwrought and overexhausted mother, kills her husband with an axe; what has become of her baby?

This is the first book by Kate Atkinson, but I have heard her name bandied around a bit. (I’ve just realised there are 4 Jackson Brodie books by her – I’d better make sure I read them in order.)

What I really love in books like this is how the stories are all subtly weaved together. When the case histories were introduced at the beginning, I thought they were all going to be completely separate stories and I did wonder how the book would be structured. However they are tenuously (sometimes via a single seemingly insignificant character) linked together, and the links between them are slowly revealed over the course of the book. Atkinson does a brilliant job of keeping you guessing, and there were some real surprises in there.

Jackson Brodie is a very likeable character. Even though he isn’t perfect, his actions are done with a certain charm to them, and you know he's one of the fundamentally good guys.  Even though it is crime fiction, and some of the descriptions and themes are very bleak, there is a very subtle humor in the book, which makes it even more readable.

Due to the slow reveal of characters and events, books like this benefit from a re-read, as I can bet there are clues given early on that are impossible to get until you know the full story.

I shall most definitely be reading the others in the series, as well as other books by this author.

5/6