Frankie reads 2013

frankie

Most definitely... :D :D So funny! Did you imagine in your head a car with which poppyshake would hit Janet in the head??? :D She'd have to be like Pippi Longstocking, the strongest girl in the world :D

Edit: And now I definitely see why you said maybe we should take this to the language thread... :D I wasn't sure initially what you meant by it... :D :D

This is exactly what I pictured when reading your thread about 4x4's :giggle2:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Gaia and Julie! :D:flowers2:  

It's been a rather nice day! :) Slept in, took my sweet time getting up, and didn't change from jammies until after 2 PM :D

I'm in the middle of opening pressies... I got one BD package in the mail yesterday, and four packages (!!!) today. Awesome timing, I have to say :D

Titus Groan isn't coming along... :( My mojo suffered a major blow and it went AWOL. I've a trap for it, so I could get it back, by doing some re-reading, and I see mojo's lurking behind some trees in the far distance... I might have a shot with him, but it's not going to be easy, and it's not going to happen all too soon! :rolleyes: Mean bugger...

Sorry i missed your reply Frankie, sorry to hear your mojo's playing up... once you manage to trap him imprison it in a high tower like Rapunsel..... works for me  :giggle2:

Oooo Pressies!!!...... Happy Birthday to you  :sign0072:

I got a BookDepo package in the mail yesterday, but was a very good girl and didn't open it, at all =D I waited til today, my actual Bday.

So this morning, I opened the package, and it was ... *drum roll please*... Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovich!! :o Awesome! This book has been on my wishlist for a few years now, and it's been on top of my mental wishlist as well. I think I actually put it on the wishlist of 10 or so books Mom could choose from, to get me for Christmas last year, but I got some other books instead. =) I cannot wait to read this one!! =) I had a chat with Kylie today on Facebook and told her about the book and she said it was from her. Thank you Kylie!! :flowers2:

Today I was on my way to town and I checked my mail box, and blooo'ody hell! There was one BD package, and three (!!) package notices saying I had packages waiting for me at the post office. Wohoo =D So I went to town, did a bit of window shopping, as it said on the notices that I could get my packages after 6 PM... Luckily I've had my fair share of packages arriving at the post office, so I knew that I probably wouldn't have to wait til 6 PM sharp, but could go in earlier...

So after 5 PM I went in, and I probably looked like the cat who ate the canary... (wait, is that an English saying or Finnish... can't remember now!). I gave the postal clerk all three notices and said these came in. He was like 'wow, so many!' and I said 'yes, that's what you get when your Birthday and Christmas are less than a week apart' ... And I bet I looked very smug =D He got me the packages one by one. The first two were BD packages, and the last one was a big one!!

Then I hurried home... :D The big one I know is from poppyshake ( :flowers2: ), and I know it's for Christmas so I've not opened it yet, I'm trying to be a good girl and save it for Christmas.

But I still had the three BD packages... I did wonder if they were all Birthday pressies, or if some might be Christmas pressies, but because I couldn't really tell without opening, I just went for it :D

An amazing haul.... I really feel like it's too much, too many great books! :blush:

Now, because there were so many of them, I wasn't sure who got all of them. So I checked the invoice and it said AUD in all of them, so they must be from Kylie!! So this actually means that I did open two of my Christmas pressies on my Birthday ... :blush: Kylie, I hope you forgive me!!

Anyhow, back to the books. An amazing, amazing haul!!! I got (in order of opening):

- A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz - Amazing... This has been on my wishlist for a while, and I've wanted it before, but ever since... I think Booksie?... reviewed it, and then poppyshake read it, I've been wanting this all the more keenly!

- Ignatius Rising - The Life of John Kennedy Toole by René Pol Nevils & Deborah George Hardy - I have no words, honestly... This is so definitely from Kylie...! I read A Confederacy of Dunces some years ago, and while it was quirky, I found it odd. It didn't get a very high rating from me. Then I read about John Kennedy Toole on wikipedia and became absolutely fascinated. How he struggled to get the novel published... And I started thinking I must re-read the book, because evidently I didn't really 'get it' the first time round!! Then I read The Neon Bible, the one other novel by him, and loved it. That made me all the more obsessed with him... I've been wanting a copy of this biography for so many years, and so, so much! I cannot believe I now possess a copy of it!!

- Double Dexter by Jeff Lindsay - I love the Dexter novels, but I've been getting behind on them!! :( As some of you may know, I've been trying not to buy books this year, and that's the only reason why I haven't been getting the Dexter novels I don't already have a copy of. So I was thrilled to get this!! :D And it's the exact edition I would've opted for myself... :o

Awesome haul =D

Sorry i missed your reply Frankie, sorry to hear your mojo's playing up... once you manage to trap him imprison it in a high tower like Rapunsel..... works for me  :giggle2:

:D Luckily I know Rapunzel from watching My So-Called Life, otherwise I would've had no idea what you are talking about .... :D

Yeah, my mojo's playing games with me... But I'm beginning to get used to it, so ... Sigh. I wish I had my mojo back. I guess it's all the Xmas stress (what to get for everyone.. am I going to get along with my brother during the holidays, etc.) and the giddyness about moving away (and being anxious about not having heard from the city of Lahti so far) that are doing my mojo in...

I did manage to start and finish Marley & Me, but it was a re-read, so I'm not counting my chickens.

Oooo Pressies!!!...... Happy Birthday to you  :sign0072:

Thanks Kidsmum!! :D I feel so lucky, I got such amazing pressies! :blush:

I guess it's all the Xmas stress  

I did manage to start and finish Marley & Me, but it was a re-read, so I'm not counting my chickens.

Tell me about it at this...... rate i'm going to look like the Grinch by Christmas day  :banghead:

Marley & Me is such a good read .... how could any mojo resist  :D

Tell me about it at this...... rate i'm going to look like the Grinch by Christmas day  :banghead:

Grinch? I'm sorry but I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with this... Do you mean you're going to look like a cheapskate? Oh honey...!! It's not about money! Or the amount of pressies you've gotten. You know it's the thought that counts!! Honest. It's my Bday, and yes, I've gotten some amazing pressies and I'm really thrilled about them, but let me tell you, I've been really thrilled about people just saying 'Happy Bday' on FB and on here, too :) It's about people remembering their close and loved ones :) Sure you could get some really expensive gifts that were rather impersonal, but that's not what it's all about... My parents asked me how my cell phone is doing these days... Immediately I realized they were thinking about getting me a really fancy new phone with online apps and stuff. I told them that my phone is just fine and I love it the way it is, because I want to use it for calling and texting people and that's that. I was actually happy they asked about it, because if they hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to say please don't buy me a new, very expensive phone, because I don't need it and I don't want it! Although I do appreciate the thought...

As long as you think of people individually and give them something from the heart, it's gooood! :yes::friends3::empathy:

Edit: I've just realise that you must've meant you would look like someone who is so not comfortable with the holidays... :doh:  Sorry! :D I told you I wasn't familiar with the tale of the Grinch... :D

Marley & Me is such a good read .... how could any mojo resist 

It was good... Although I have to say, I didn't like it as much the second time round. There was too much John Grogan and human stuff in it... Too little of Marley, the main character!! :D

Edited by frankie

I feel like I have to explain... I think with Grinch I started to think about Scrooge, and A Christmas Carol, and more importantly Scrooge in the Donald Duck comic books... :blush::D My bad!!

Edit: Not so sure how to advise you on this one, though... Hm!

How to avoid all the Xmas anxiety, anyone??

Edited by frankie

Thanks Laura! :) 

No idea how to avoid Xmas anxiety, honey, but I'm so happy for you: you recived some lovely books for this special Birthday. If I find your mojo I'll send it back to you immediately.

:sign0072:

Thanks Eleonora! :) And thanks so much for the card! :friends3:  If you get the chocolate, I promise I will provide the snowball :D

Well, it sounds as though you've already had the perfect birthday, Sari! :)  I'm very happy for you and wish you the best, always. :alc:  :readingtwo:

The books you received are great.  I'm especially interested in the one about Confederacy of Dunces.  I have it around here, Confederacy, not your new one. Haven't read it yet and def on the fence about it.  I look forward to your impressions. 

btw...finished Purge. Liked it.  Reviewed it. :)  Thanks! :D

I've had to butcher some emoticons... 

Well, it sounds as though you've already had the perfect birthday, Sari!  I'm very happy for you and wish you the best, always.

Thank you! =) For some odd reason I'm usually always rather cheery on my Bday. I feel like with good conscience I can be selfish for a day... And then I feel very happy and just smile and all I can see is happiness everywhere =) I guess when one's happy, it's easy to spot other people's happiness, too, and it's infectious... This sounds like I'm the village loon, but on my Bday I can just enjoy something like walking through town, watching people, smiling at them and be happy to see other people happy. I think the Christmas spirit being so close behind the corner adds to it... And the lights and the snow =)

Which leads me to one of my Birthday presents: Ignatius Rising - The Life of John Kennedy Toole.

When I was younger, I sometimes envied people who have their Birthdays during the summer, because they can go out, do whatever, and they don't have to worry about being/staying warm and the day getting dark etc. They have it so easy! But nowadays I wouldn't trade my December Birthday for anything ... I have my snow! I have Christmas lights all over town, I have people with rosy pink cheeks from the wind... And I can do snow angels!

So it was kind of funny to read this on the first pages of the Ignatius:

Toole's very beginning was a confusing state of affairs. He was a December baby, one of those poorlytimed midwinter children born at the end and the beginning of a year.

... :D

The books you received are great.  I'm especially interested in the one about Confederacy of Dunces.  I have it around here, Confederacy, not your new one. Haven't read it yet and def on the fence about it.  I look forward to your impressions.

I say go ahead and read it :D

btw...finished Purge. Liked it.  Reviewed it.  Thanks!

I read your review on Goodreads some time ago, and I was happy that you enjoyed it, but then I saw you only gave it 3/5, so I wasn't sure anymore that you liked it all that much :blush: I've been meaning to come and comment on your log, but it's been a taskful few weeks. This is the first day this month, I think, when I don't have to stress about anything and can kick back! (Getting all the Xmas pressies sorted has led to this blissful, stress-free euphoria...!) So I'm looking forward to getting back on reading other people's logs :cool:

Happy Birthday Again Frankie!

Thanks Devi! =)

Great lot of books Frankie.   Sounds like you had a good birthday.

Thanks bookmonkey, it was a great day! =)

Happy belated birthday! Hope you enjoy your new books

Thanks Timstar, I have a feeling they will all be verrry splendid :)

I'm glad you had a great day!! The books sound wonderful, I hope you enjoy them.

Thanks, I'm still really impressed by the excellent haul! :)

One of my friends was born on December 26th, he says its great because he gets twice the presents on christmas! :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

One of my friends was born o. December 26th, he says its great because he gets twice the presents on christmas! :giggle2:

:D Funnily enough, people have always asked me whether I get any Birthday presents at all, because my Bday is so close to Xmas...!

I feel like I have to explain... I think with Grinch I started to think about Scrooge, and A Christmas Carol, and more importantly Scrooge in the Donald Duck comic books... :blush::D My bad!!

Edit: Not so sure how to advise you on this one, though... Hm!

How to avoid all the Xmas anxiety, anyone??

:D Sorry Frankie, my fault i forget that people without kids might not get the references to children's characters  :doh:

As for the Christmas stress, i always get it in the run up to Christmas day, there always seems so much to do & this year my Dad has been taken into hospital too, nothing life threatening but it just means i have to fit in visiting as well. Anyways i know i'll be fine when i can put my feet up & relax on Christmas night with a can of beer & my new books  :D

:D Funnily enough, people have always asked me whether I get any Birthday presents at all, because my Bday is so close to Xmas...!

That's funny do people think your family & friends wouldn't bother because your birthday is near Christmas  :o  :D