Frankie reads 2013

frankie

:D Haha .. love the freckle quote .. I love Pippi already  :smile: 

She definitely has her strong points :yes: I now feel confident about my freckles and don't feel like I have to go and search for salve that will do the job and get rid of them... :D

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She definitely has her strong points :yes: I now feel confident about my freckles and don't feel like I have to go and search for salve that will do the job and get rid of them... :D

Wear your freckles with pride :D

Love your pics .. especially your brother's snow tree with all the candles .. so pretty  :smile: Also love the table full of food (of course) .. and I love it that you have a huge radio on the table .. were you listening to music as you ate?

Wear your freckles with pride :D

I'll try, although usually I think I wear them with ignorance... I never remember I have them :D

Love your pics .. especially your brother's snow tree with all the candles .. so pretty  :smile: Also love the table full of food (of course) .. and I love it that you have a huge radio on the table .. were you listening to music as you ate?

Thank you :) The food was great! But like my friend who came to see me today and checked out my Xmas pics said, it's not at all a traditional Finnish Xmas dinner table. At all! It's all brother... But it was all delicious so I will not complain :)

I actually realised the radio was still there when I was looking at the pics afterwards... How awful :D I guess nobody thought to remove it from the table for the dinner... It's my old, very old radio cassette 'boombox' from the 90s, which was left to parents when I got a better one, with a CD disc set. Parents keep it on the table for some reason... I guess they like to listen to the radio sometimes in the kitchen. I put it on when I did the dishes during the hols. Parents have the radio set on this particular local radio where they can listen to the news, weather forecast and good old tunes, and when I change the channel for a more modern one with contemporary music, Dad will always complain about it :giggle:

I don't think we listened to the radio during Christmas dinner... And if we did, I've forgotten, because all I could hear was me going 'nom nom nom' and everyone saying how good the food was!

I've never understood why some people consider freckles to be bad. :shrug:  I rather like mine, and people have only ever said nice things about them (if they bother to comment at all).

Nice book haul! Glad you had a great Chrissy.  :flowers2:

Edit: I've just catalogued them on the document of all my books on the computer, and then catalogued them on Goodreads. Now I am going to catalogue them on the first page of my log. It's a bit nerve racking, because there's such a big bunch of them, and I need to remember to list them in the acquired books post, and the TBR posts, and then I'll have to remember to cross the books off the wishlist, and then go through my reading challenges to see if any of them are there and mark (TBR) next to the titles... I've been acquiring so few books this year that I feel like I can't remember how the system works :lol:

x

I can imagine that! :hug: 

But it does mean you haven't bought many books, so maybe that's not too bad?

I love the freckle quote! It's hilarious :D. I've also never understood why people consider freckles bad, I think on some people they look cute. I don't know many people with freckles in the Netherlands, I think they're not so common, but on TV and such some actors look cute with them.

Frankie

I agree about the freckles . They are cute . I had them as a kid , just sprinkled across my nose, just like my grandson does now ( mostly noticeable in the summertime ) .

I  read Pippi as a kid and loved her .She has lots of spunk .

Edited by julie

Love your book haul! :D

Thanks! I'm still mighty chuffed! :D

I've never understood why some people consider freckles to be bad. :shrug:  I rather like mine, and people have only ever said nice things about them (if they bother to comment at all).

Me either. But I think attitudes have changed somewhat... The Pippi books were written a long time ago. And there's always a trend: at one time pale skin is beautiful, and at another time tan is the new fad.

Us freckled people? We are pale and partially tanned (read: freckled), so we are always trendy :cool::D And don't let anybody tell you otherwise!!

But it does mean you haven't bought many books, so maybe that's not too bad?

You are right. One has to look at these things from different angles to spot the silver lining... :D

I love the freckle quote! It's hilarious :D. I've also never understood why people consider freckles bad, I think on some people they look cute. I don't know many people with freckles in the Netherlands, I think they're not so common, but on TV and such some actors look cute with them.

Pippi sure shut up the clerk :D Bring on attitude...

Frankie

I agree about the freckles . They are cute . I had them as a kid , just sprinkled across my nose, just like my grandson does now ( mostly noticeable in the summertime ) .

I  read Pippi as a kid and loved her .She has lots of spunk .

She certainly does. I used to think she was odd and obnoxious, but now I've rather changed my opinion of her :) I'm very glad I read the books! :)

I'm feeling 2014 just around the corner... And I'm throwing caution and perfectionism into the wind, and shall wrap this baby up :D

Since my last reviews, all I want to add is that I think my mojo is back. At least small ways. I went to Nurmes for holidays and visited the local library and on a whim, borrowed the three Pippi Longstocking books and the Karlsson omnibus by Astrid Lindgren.

I've watched the Pippi movie(s?) or perhaps the TV series as a kid, and while I kind of enjoyed them, I didn't really like Pippi. Couldn't get her at all. So I was never really keen on reading the books... But when I decided upon the Astrid Lindgren challenge, I knew I had to put aside my prejucides and preconceptions. So I read the three books during the holidays. And I liked them!

I always wondered why Pippi was living alone, and I finally got the explanation in the books. And it made me understand her more. What jolly good books. I know they won't be my favorite Lindgrens, but that's really neither here nor there, because all the other Astrid Lindgrens I've read have been super awesome!! :smile2:

Then I moved on to the Karlsson books... I don't think I ever read the books as a kid. And I really had only the vaguest idea of what (yes, what, not even 'who') Karlsson was... So I guess it was about bloody time I read about him!

And boy oh boy... The books were brilliant!! :D I think Karlsson is my new favorite... It's so odd, I always thought I'd already read the best Lindgren books there was, but now I have a new favorite... The Karlsson series is definitely going on my Frankie recommends list. And I will just have to buy the omnibus for myself some day :blush:

So what is Karlsson, exactly? Well he is only like the most handsome, wisest, nicely chubbiest man in his best age... Or so he says :D He thinks rather highly of himself... And ends up making a mess of this and that, but his ever loyal friend Little Brother never bears any ill will.

Hilarious books! 5/5 x 3!

I've done a sort of reminiscing post of books read at the end of each log for a few years now, I suppose... But ... At the moment I can't be bothered :D Maybe I will come back tomorrow and name my favorite reads.

I've kept a lot of stats this year, but the only things I really want to remember from this year are:

- My mojo was AWOL a lot, and I had to resort to re-reading. I think it was due to stress, and me being sick for 3 months altogether. Having said that, I read 78 books so I'm rather happy with that.

- This year I finally got to 100/1001 from the 1001 Books You Must Read - challenge list! :D

- This is the first year EVER that I've read more books in English than in Finnish! I really didn't think this would happen ... It never has before :D

- And for the first time since I joined BCF, I've actually read more books than I've bought! :D How about that!

So all in all? Statistically not too shabby :cool:

Having said that, I read 78 books so I'm rather happy with that.

- This year I finally got to 100/1001 from the 1001 Books You Must Read - challenge list! :D

- This is the first year EVER that I've read more books in English than in Finnish! I really didn't think this would happen ... It never has before :D

- And for the first time since I joined BCF, I've actually read more books than I've bought! :D How about that!

78 is a fabulous total for the year.  Well done. :)

100/1001 is brilliant - keep going!  :D

I haven't read any books in Finnish!  :giggle:

Reading more books than you've bought is also brilliant - I think this year is the first year I've bought more than I've read.  Whoops! 

Happy reading in 2014.  :hug:

One of my friends was born on December 26th, he says its great because he gets twice the presents on christmas! :giggle2:

Sorry for the late commenting.  

My birthday is New Years.  When I was younger my Mum would give me a joint Christmas/Bday pressie, but most people give me both.  My grandparents gave me a joint pressie this year, but I know it was bigger than what I would've got just for Christmas or Bday alone, and I love it, so I don't mind.  

I hate having my bday at New Years.  It usually gets some sort of acknowledgement at least, but I've never had a party as everyone is at New Years parties.  

Off to finish reading the rest of the thread now.

- My mojo was AWOL a lot, and I had to resort to re-reading. I think it was due to stress, and me being sick for 3 months altogether. Having said that, I read 78 books so I'm rather happy with that.

Aw. :( It sucks that your mojo was AWOL so much, but 78 is an awesome total! I wish I could read that many!

- This year I finally got to 100/1001 from the 1001 Books You Must Read - challenge list!
Hooray! That's a huge milestone. Congratulations!  :clapping:

Cool! But maybe not so impressive, because I manage to do this every single year without even trying. :P  :giggle2:

This makes me both happy and sad. Happy for obvious reasons, but sad because it means you are so much more disciplined than me and it means our TBRs are getting further and further apart. You obviously need to come and visit me again so I can take you to the book fair and get you stocked up again.  :giggle: 

So all in all? Statistically not too shabby :cool:

Not too shabby? I'd say it's pretty damn brilliant! Congratulations, lovely! I hope 2014 is even better for you.  :flowers2:

Oh, and I forgot to comment earlier that I'm glad you like my pressies. And I love the pics of your family's Christmas. The lights in the snow that your brother built is so pretty, and all of that food looks yummy!

Happy New Year, my wonderful, gorgeous friend. I hope you get everything you want and deserve in 2014.  :friends0:

You got some great books Frankie. And 78 is a lot of books.  

I have thousands of freckles (and that's not exagerrating) and I hate them.  I think if I just had a few like most people do it wouldn't be so bad, but they're everywhere.  I'm a pale skinned, freckly, red headed Scot, so in our southern hemisphere summers I burn easily.  

Hope you have a great reading year in 2014 Frankie.  Happy New Year.

78 is a fabulous total for the year.  Well done.

Thanks :) I always seem to read fewer books year by year after 2010, it's been a downhill for the past three years... But I won't complain! And I can always aim for 100 this year... :D

100/1001 is brilliant - keep going! 

It's taken me quite a while, and I think it will be a few long years til I get to 150... If I start thinking about it, I know I will never make it, so I won't :D Ignorance is bliss :b7ydance:

I haven't read any books in Finnish! 

:D If you want, I can start teaching you Finnish :yes:

A book is called 'kirja'. And how easy is Finnish? We don't even do articles, so you don't have to learn 'a', 'an' or 'the' :D So easy!!

Reading more books than you've bought is also brilliant - I think this year is the first year I've bought more than I've read.  Whoops!

:D I guess it was the BCF's way of keeping the balance... you and I swapping roles. But I'm determined to read more than buy in 2014, too, so I'm afraid you will have to keep buying more than you read :giggle: Sorry, can't be helped!

Happy reading in 2014. 

Thanks Jänet, and the very same to you :friends3:

(Okay apparently the statistician in me wasn't happy with yesterday's short comments, because I had to do some investigating after writing the above ^ to Jänet...)

In 2013, I read 78 books and only acquired 66 books. !! I acquired only 66 books! How is that possible :D Awesome... And more importantly, I only bought 31 books. The rest are gifts, book swap books, and free books from the book exchange trolley at the library. 31 bought books! :D

Although, I only read 46 TBR books... That's very crappy! The reason why my TBR came down by so much is because I've been giving a lot of books away and I've also taken some off TBR list and taken them to my parents' house to stash there (I'm very worried about how I'm ever going to haul all my books to a new apartment in a new city this year... That is, if I get an apartment in Lahti).

So maybe I shouldn't look too carefully into things, and just remember the most important detail: I read more books than I bought. And I only bought 31 books :D And those books include charityshop and secondhand bookshop purchases, too!

:exc:

Sorry for the late commenting.  

My birthday is New Years.  When I was younger my Mum would give me a joint Christmas/Bday pressie, but most people give me both.  My grandparents gave me a joint pressie this year, but I know it was bigger than what I would've got just for Christmas or Bday alone, and I love it, so I don't mind.

Yep, sometimes you can get a joint Christmas/Bday pressie but it's something so big that you wouldn't get it if it was only your Birthday or just Christmas, so in that way it's pretty handy :) And I find it totally acceptable, too :)

I remember I do have one friend who used to give me joint Xmas/Bday pressies, years and years ago, and I think one day I jokingly said that maybe I ought to start giving him joint Xmas/Bday pressies, too! His Birthday is in March, so I think he wasn't too pleased with the idea and ever since then he gave me separate pressies :giggle:

I hate having my bday at New Years.  It usually gets some sort of acknowledgement at least, but I've never had a party as everyone is at New Years parties.

That really sucks :(:empathy:  Everyone deserves Birthday parties!!  Did you ever try having a party a bit later? Like, during the following weekend? At least when you were younger? I think when older, adults are all partied out by that time, so I do feel for you!

You got some great books Frankie. And 78 is a lot of books.

Thanks! :)

I have thousands of freckles (and that's not exagerrating) and I hate them.  I think if I just had a few like most people do it wouldn't be so bad, but they're everywhere.  I'm a pale skinned, freckly, red headed Scot, so in our southern hemisphere summers I burn easily.

I burn quite easily, too, and it's really annoying! But then again, because of that I'm not tempted at all to stay in the sun, and that's a good thing. Melanoma is a bitch and it's easier to avoid when one doesn't stay in the sun.

I don't have red hair, and it's pretty odd because I have freckles. I think most freckled people have red hair as well. I sometimes wish I did :)

Let's not get depressed about our looks, aye? Remember, our insides look all the same and that's what matters :D

Hope you have a great reading year in 2014 Frankie.  Happy New Year.

You too, Stacie! :friends3:

Aw.  It sucks that your mojo was AWOL so much, but 78 is an awesome total! I wish I could read that many!

Your mojo's been one beastly stinker for a long while! :( *huggles*  I hope this year things will be different with you, and that you two finally get along!

- This year I finally got to 100/1001 from the 1001 Books You Must Read - challenge list!
Hooray! That's a huge milestone. Congratulations!

Thank you! =D

- This is the first year EVER that I've read more books in English than in Finnish! I really didn't think this would happen ... It never has before
 Cool! But maybe not so impressive, because I manage to do this every single year without even trying.

Well, you are a natural. :shrug: I'm not, and have to try so hard... The road is long and rocky... Rocky Road... Nom!

- And for the first time since I joined BCF, I've actually read more books than I've bought!  How about that!
This makes me both happy and sad. Happy for obvious reasons, but sad because it means you are so much more disciplined than me and it means our TBRs are getting further and further apart. You obviously need to come and visit me again so I can take you to the book fair and get you stocked up again. 

I know, our TBRs are getting further and further apart! =( I've thought about it, too. It is very sad.

But I think that a better solution is that YOU come over HERE and I will teach you all about discipline and you will read 40 books off your TBR while you are here and will not buy any books. :giggle: You will go back home happy as a buddha!

So all in all? Statistically not too shabby
Not too shabby? I'd say it's pretty damn brilliant! Congratulations, lovely! I hope 2014 is even better for you.

Thank you! I'm getting all ambitious at the start of the year, I know, but I know I'll get sloppy towards the end... Oh the stress :D

Oh, and I forgot to comment earlier that I'm glad you like my pressies. And I love the pics of your family's Christmas. The lights in the snow that your brother built is so pretty, and all of that food looks yummy!

Thank you =) Now, if you had come over here to visit me, you would've gotten a few slices of the yummy cake my brother made. Because you didn't, I had to give the cake to another friend. So, why don't you think it over... ;):giggle: We'll go to the Aussie bar in Helsinki!!

Happy New Year, my wonderful, gorgeous friend. I hope you get everything you want and deserve in 2014.

Happy New Year to you, too, my darling!! And hey, let's do a GG marathon soon, aye? Where are you at with the show now? I've lent the first two seasons to a friend, so I can only watch something from season 3 or later.

Oh, and this year we need to convert poppyshake into a GG enthusiast, too :D

x

Those are some pretty good statistics! It's not nice though that your mojo was AWOL for a while but I'm glad it's come back! 

x

A book is called 'kirja'.

x

This is awesome to know :D

(Okay apparently the statistician in me wasn't happy with yesterday's short comments, because I had to do some investigating after writing the above ^ to Jänet...)

In 2013, I read 78 books and only acquired 66 books. !! I acquired only 66 books! How is that possible :D Awesome... And more importantly, I only bought 31 books. The rest are gifts, book swap books, and free books from the book exchange trolley at the library. 31 bought books! :D

Although, I only read 46 TBR books... That's very crappy! The reason why my TBR came down by so much is because I've been giving a lot of books away and I've also taken some off TBR list and taken them to my parents' house to stash there (I'm very worried about how I'm ever going to haul all my books to a new apartment in a new city this year... That is, if I get an apartment in Lahti).

So maybe I shouldn't look too carefully into things, and just remember the most important detail: I read more books than I bought. And I only bought 31 books :D And those books include charityshop and secondhand bookshop purchases, too!

:exc:

x

That's very awesome :)!

Thanks Athena :)

I remembered that I want to do a post on the books I liked the most this year... and the books I liked the least. I did it last year, and I think poppyshake called it 'naming and shaming' :blush::giggle:

So here goes!

My most loved books of 2013:

5/5

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (RG-b)

Ugly by Constance Briscoe

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell
Hell's Prisoner by Christopher V. V. Parnell

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson

Anastasia Has the Answers by Lois Lowry (re-read)
Anastasia's Chosen Career by Lois Lowry (re-read)
Anastasia at this Address by Lois Lowry (re-read)

Anastasia, Absolutely by Lois Lowry (re-read)

Yes Man by Danny Wallace

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann (RG-b)

Pyhiesi yhteyteen by Jari Tervo
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Bridget Jones - Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding
 All American - Amerikkalaisuuksien sanakirja by Ilkka Rekiaro
Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella (re-read)
Murha ei vanhene koskaan by Aake Jermo (re-read)
Karlsson on the Roof by Astrid Lindgren

Karlsson Flies Again by Astrid Lindgren

Katto-Kassinen kujeilee by Astrid Lindgren

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (1001)

4/5

The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney
Pieni potenssipuoti by Karin Brunk Holmqvist
The Beach by Alex Garland

Donnie Brasco by Joseph D. Pistone

The Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi (1001)

Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock (re-read)

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

The Secret of Happy Ever After by Lucy Dillon

French Children Don't Throw Food by Pamela Druckerman

The Rendezvous and Other Stories by Daphne du Maurier

Pig Island by Mo Hayder
The Pact by Jodi Picoult
The Silver Linings Play Book by Matthew Quick

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (re-read)
Dialogues with Mothers by Bruno Bettelheim
Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (RG-b)
French Leave by Anna Gavalda

The Class by Erich Segal
One Dog And His Boy by Eva Ibbotson
Replay by Ken Grimwood

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (RG-b)
Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism by Georgia Byng (re-read)
The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella (re-read) 

Pippi Longstocking Goes Aboard by Astrid Lindgren
Pippi in the South Seas by Astrid Lindgren

And the sorry ones...

1/5

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale
All That Remains by Patricia Cornwell (re-read)

Thinner by Richard Bachman

The Ingredients of Love by Nicolas Barreau

Not bad out of all those books that only four were 1/5... Lots of good ones there and a few I really likes too. I should really do this on my 2013 blog. :)

Yep, I had a pretty great reading year :) I'm still going to do my average rating stat later on, but I know my average rating for 2013 will be rather high, at least higher than last year's! :) I was very lucky this year. Of course re-reading four Anastasia Krupnik books helped, I love them so much and they are such a big part of my growing up, I could never give them anything less than 5/5 :)

I really recommend you do your own naming and shaming, it's fun! :) And it's nice to look back later on, for nostalgic reasons, and see what kind of ratings, highs and lows one had during a particular reading year :smile2:

• 4 weeks later...