Michelle's Reading in 2013

Michelle

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pleased to report that indeed the lightbulb does seemed to have sparked to life! She found herself enjoying the Hunger Games, and rapidly moved onto Catching Fire. She started Mockingjay, but is taking a break. The other bonus was that as some of her friends did their presentations, she has become aware of other books - she has sped through The Fault in Our Stars this week, and has asked me to buy her Geek Girl. 

Pleased mum!  :D

x

Excellent! :)

Thanks everyone - she's already finished Fault in our Stars, and says she's made a wish-list!  :exc:

I've just finished Festival of Death, one of the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary re-releases. It was another good read, based on the 4th Doctor and Romana, and was very timey-wimey! :)  

I went to my YA book club tonight, which is held in Waterstones. Whilst there, 5 books managed to persuade me to buy them - I dunno how that keeps happening!

Anyway, 2 were for Beth, one is a John Green book, and one is a book by the actor who plays Kurt in Glee - she really likes Glee, and the book was signed, so that made me a popular mum!

For myself, I bought Geekhood by Andy Robb, as he may be coming to speak to us during the Sept book club; Nowhere by Jon Robinson, as it looked an interesting, fairly quick read; and Inverted World by Christopher Priest. I'd never heard of it, or him before, but it called to me. Hopefully someone can now come and tell me how good it is!? :D

Inverted World by Christopher Priest. I'd never heard of it, or him before, but it called to me. Hopefully someone can now come and tell me how good it is!? :D

I quite liked that book, Michelle - didn't love it, but it was quite different, high concept stuff.  I think Christopher Priest is best known for his novel The Prestige, which was made into a movie starring Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman, directed by Christopher Nolan of Batman Begins, The Dark Knight (and Rises), and Inception fame.  Hope you enjoy it  :smile:

I've just finished Undone by Cat Clarke, a rather fabulous YA book. It covers some very serious issues - when Kai is outed as gay he commits suicide, leaving his best friend Jem overwhelmed with grief. She eventually decides to get revenge on the people she suspects of outing him, which means getting into the popular group. It does start with a typical YA feel, but after a while I was hooked. Cat is a really good writer, and she gradually brings out the emotion. The characters are well done, the issues are handled well, and there are some powerful twists. Highly recommended - I've passed it on to Beth, telling her she has to read it! (It does have some sex in it, which is all part of the story, and done well, but it does make it more suitable for older teens.)

I've just finished the 1st part of Inverted World, and all is good so far, I like his style and may try some others of his.

I'm also about half way through Gone Girl, and I can't decide whether to continue. There's been a change in the 2nd part which has annoyed me, and I'm not that keen to carry on. I understand there's a twist at the end, but even that has annoyed some people. So, do I persevere, or just go online and find out the ending?

I'm also about half way through Gone Girl, and I can't decide whether to continue. There's been a change in the 2nd part which has annoyed me, and I'm not that keen to carry on. I understand there's a twist at the end, but even that has annoyed some people. So, do I persevere, or just go online and find out the ending?

Ooh I've just bought that and I'm nervous now. It's not really my thing (just had a mad moment I think) so there's a good chance that it will annoy me sooner rather than later. Interested to see what advice you get from others who have read it.

I've just finished the 1st part of Inverted World, and all is good so far, I like his style and may try some others of his.

Ooh I've just bought that and I'm nervous now. It's not really my thing (just had a mad moment I think) so there's a good chance that it will annoy me sooner rather than later. Interested to see what advice you get from others who have read it.

I'm always in two minds about this book. I keep adding and deleting it from my wishlist, and every time I see it on the shelf at a store, I pick it up and put it back...

I'm never really like this with books.

Edited by Devi

This is the problem - usually I would give up and not worry about it, but because there are also such good reviews, I don't want to think I've missed out on something. For anyone who has read it....

Firstly, I'm finding it hard to connect with any of the characters, but my biggest annoyance is that everything changes all the time - I've just started part 2, where Amy has stated that lots of things in her diary were a lie. I understand that this is probably the point of the book, that you never know who or what to trust, but to me it feels a cheat - you think one thing, then when they want to introduce something else, the diary entries etc change. I kinda wonder what's the point investing in the characters or the story if it can change when it likes? I'm probably not making myself clear, as it's hard to put into words what I feel.

Oh.. I also understand the ending has confused / annoyed some, so I'm also worried about that!

Now, the question is whether to keep going, skim through quickly, or give up and look up the ending online.

Michelle

My son read it and said the author intentionally makes you dislike one of the main characters. Won't state which one in case of ruining it for anyone . He said by the end, you understand why they wrote it this way.

My daughter read it and she hated it .

I started it a few weeks back and couldn't get into it at all ,so tossed it, but I have a pretty short tolerance for books that don't get my attention pretty quickly. I think the older I get the more I am like that . Life's too short to waste it on a book I dislike when there are truckloads more that I will .   :)

Just my 2 cents ,for what it's worth .. Hope it helps .

Hmm.. well, I'm glad I finished it, but I can't say it was a particularly enjoyable read. I also feel very let down by the ending

I think the ending was a rather silly, and if he stayed with her, then he's a idiot. I also don't see how she got enough viable semen!

Thanks. I felt a little more positive this morning, so have decided to compromise and kinda skim through the rest. The language has gotten worse though, which I'm not keen on.

I enjoyed the book and my wife did not enjoy it. Guess you gotta just take your chances with it. :P

I recommend you continue. The constant changing is part of what makes it interesting.

I have Undone by Cat Clarke to read on my kindle, so good to read some positive comments :)

I also have Gone Girl, which I'm a bit nervous about! I haven't read your spoilers though, as I do intend to get around to it... At some point!

I quite liked that book, Michelle - didn't love it, but it was quite different, high concept stuff.  I think Christopher Priest is best known for his novel The Prestige, which was made into a movie starring Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman, directed by Christopher Nolan of Batman Begins, The Dark Knight (and Rises), and Inception fame.  Hope you enjoy it  :smile:

I'm making good progress with Inverted World, and I now have The Space Machine as my next audio read, as I'm enjoying his style. Have you read any others of his?

I have Undone by Cat Clarke to read on my kindle, so good to read some positive comments :)

I also have Gone Girl, which I'm a bit nervous about! I haven't read your spoilers though, as I do intend to get around to it... At some point!

I hope you like Undone. :)

I haven't read the spoilers, but all the mixed opinions make me more keen to read it!

It's not a book I'd recommend or not recommend, as I truely think it's one that some will like, and some won't! I guess it does actually make for a interesting book, when it brings out so many different views. 

I'm making good progress with Inverted World, and I now have The Space Machine as my next audio read, as I'm enjoying his style. Have you read any others of his?

No, I haven't as yet.  I like the sound of The Space Machine, though! :smile:

• 5 weeks later...

Catching up, some recent reads:

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas - this is the 2nd book in a YA fantasy series, and both books have been relly enjoyable. There's some good world building, and the emphasis is on strong relationships (including friendship) and the romance isn't cheesy like a lot of YA books. This is a series I'll carry on with.

The Space Machine by Christopher Priest - another good read from this author, it starts off with the feel of The Time Machine, and then becomes another approach to War of the Worlds. It has the same 'classic' feel as those books, and I felt quite clever. I've started 2 more books by Priest, but have stopped for a while as they have a very different feel.

Linked by Imogen Howson - I've read some of Imogen's short stories in the past and loved her style, so I was pleased to hear she'd had a YA book published. What I didn't expect was the science fiction setting - it starts on a distant planet which has been terraformed, but it could easily be our world but with lots of gadgets etc. I'd still like to see her short stories expanded into a book, but this was also really good.

Divergent by Veronica Roth (audio - re-read listen) - I'm looking forward to the 3rd book coming out very soon, and the film next week, so I thought I'd give it a re-listen. I enjoyed it just as much the 2nd time around, and have moved on to Insurgent.

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick - This is quite a powerful book, about a young man who wakes up on his 18th birthday planning to shoot someone who's wronged him, and then kill himself. Before he does this, he wants to say goodbye to the people important to him, including a teacher. I wasn't too keen on the ending, but it's certainly one which is staying in my mind.