Michelle's Reading in 2013

Michelle

Thanks - only small edits to the wishlist. :)

I've read 19 books so far, with more being read or on hold. I've hit a zombie phase following my obsession with The Walking Dead. I really enjoyed Zombie Apocalypse, am half way through The Zombie Survival Guide, and have just started World War Z. I also have a Walking Dead spin-off book to read.

I've also just finished Dead Silence by Kimberley Derting - this is the 4th, and probably the last in her Body Finder series. In a way, I like seeing a series finish on a high, but at the same time, I think there's still more to tell.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be interested to see what you make of World War Z, Michelle - it's been on my wishlist for a while since a friend recommended it but I haven't actually bought it yet.  I'm also thinking of getting the first Walking Dead Compendium.  I think I'm having withdrawal symptoms since the series finished . . .   :smile:

I'm also thinking of getting the first Walking Dead Compendium.  I think I'm having withdrawal symptoms since the series finished . . .   :smile:

I have the first Walking Dead Compendium. It's quite different to the TV series, and I found it a bit confusing as I was reading it whilst watching the series. It would have probably been more enjoyable if I hadn't watched the series (at the same time) and wasn't comparing the two or visualising the TV characters in my head.

I have the first Walking Dead Compendium. It's quite different to the TV series, and I found it a bit confusing as I was reading it whilst watching the series. It would have probably been more enjoyable if I hadn't watched the series (at the same time) and wasn't comparing the two or visualising the TV characters in my head.

Yeah, that's always the problem when there's an adaptation, I guess :shrug:

I was looking at the comics etc yesterday, and many of the reviews were saying the fans of the TV show should enjoy them. I decided to download one onto my ipad, and I did enjoy it. I find it interesting to see the differences.

However, here's my problem - they are so expensive for what they are. I've bought the first book (6 or 8 comics I think) for £5.99, and I must have read it in about 20 minutes. I really want to read them all, but it will eat up my money rather quickly. 

I saw Zombie Apocalypse in the shop when I picked Jo up the other day and wondered about picking it up. I may well do so, now!

• 2 weeks later...

A few reviews:

Deadlands - http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11514-deadlands-by-lily-herne/

Dead Silence - http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/10078-the-bodyfinder-series-by-kimberly-derting/

Blink of an Eye - http://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2013/04/28/blink-of-an-eye-by-cath-staincliffe/

I then saw a few mentioning how good The 5th Wave was, so I managed to get myself an early copy, it's out in a week. It's a SF thriller centred on Cassie, a survivor of a brutal alien invasion which has wiped out most of the population. It's a YA book, but I think it'll have a wider appeal. I'm about 100 pages in, and it's off to a good start. 

I know not many people follow my little thread, but I have just finished The 5th Wave, and I had to pop on to say how much I LOVED it! I actually hate to see it with a YA label, because a lot of people are going to miss out. There are YA aspects, but there are also very dark aspects too. There's something of Ender's Game in there, it's fast paced, and I couldn't put it down.

A slightly fuller review will follow, but for now I will just say take a look, and see what you think. If there's an inkling of interest, TRY IT! :)

With regards to those that follow your thread, Michelle, I have to say it's quality not quantity that matters! :lol:

I have loads of books on my wishlist that have come from your thread, and it looks like I have a couple more to add based on the last couple of posts. :D

I always read your thread, Michelle! :smile:

I read your full review of The 5th Wave and it sounds very intriguing - I've downloaded the Kindle sample to give it a try  :D

I will!  It's not out until the 7th, even though Amazon have the paperback already . . .

Anyway, if your review hadn't already convinced me to have a look, this description would have: "part War of the Worlds, part Starship Troopers, part Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and part The Stand".  Mentions three of my favourite books/films, and The Stand  :D

I always read your thread too, and I have added books to my wishlist in the past. :)

Edited by Devi

• 3 weeks later...

I know not many people follow my little thread, but I have just finished The 5th Wave, and I had to pop on to say how much I LOVED it!

I always read your blog (I try to read them all) but I think you tend to read quite a lot of fantasy books so we don't really have many in common.  It's definitely not a reflection on what you post though.  :)