Michelle's Reading in 2013

Michelle

Breathe by Sarah Crossan (read 2012):

Sometimes it's good to wait a while before writing a review, and that's true in this case. Breathe is one of those books which I feel better about a while after reading. I think one of the problems is that there's are similarities to Pure by Julianna Baggott, with privileged people living in a dome, whilst others struggle outside. I kept finding myself thinking back to that book, and that seemed to somehow affect my enjoyment of the book. However, looking back now, there was a lot I liked about Breathe, and I'm sorry to Julianna, but I would recommend this one first.

The premise is that the land is now barren, with no trees producing oxygen for us to breathe. A few, thanks to a lottery, are now living in a dome, whilst everyone else apparently died outside. Even within this dome however, there are differences - oxygen levels are kept low, and only the Premiums have the funds for extra oxygen, allowing them to do all they want.

When three teenagers go outside the dome, complete with oxygen tanks, they discover that there are some people still alive out there, surviving with older, bulky oxygen tanks. From here, our characters make discoveries, and go through changes. It's the usual dystopian storyline, which is probably why I felt a little under-whelmed whilst reading. However, I've read so many in this genre, that's probably my own personal issue.

Other reviewers have mentioned that the book is told from the point of view of the three main characters, and jumps around between them. This is something to be aware of, and it did take me a while to get used to - the chapters are fairly short, so those changes come quickly. At first I found it hard to not settle into one character, but after a while I became used to it.

All in all, there's a lot to recommend this book, and it certainly falls into the 'crossover genre' with enough for older readers as well as teens. I will be looking out for the 2nd book.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Phenomenals: A Tangle of Traitors

The Phenomenals is a new fantasy series from F.E. Higgins, and it starts with A Tangle of Traitors. At just over 200 pages, and with short chapters, it’s marketed at 9+, although I would suggest it’s for more confident readers. The + is important.. I’m certainly a lot more than 9, and I really enjoyed it!

It’s set in the city of Degringolade, where the inhabitants are highly superstitious, and criminals are hung then thrown into the tar pit, where they become Lurids. These are smelly, ghostly entities, bound to the tar pits – unless someone can find a way to free them.

We are introduced to four characters, who eventually have to work together. Vincent is an outsider, an expert thief and pickpocket. Folly is a secretive character, living in a burial vault, and very knowledgeable about the Lurids. Citrine is a wealthy heiress who misses her father. Jonah is a harpoonist who keeps to himself after being swallowed by a whale. (There's obviously a lot more to these characters, but that's best discovered whilst reading!)

This isn’t the easiest book to get into, hence my comment about more confident readers. Higgins is building a brand new world, where even time is expressed in a different way, and commonplace articles have different names. These are well explained though, but it took a while to adjust to the world, and the writing. Once there though, I fell in love with the setting and the characters, and sped my way through the book. There are certain books I connect with, and this is one of them – I didn’t like finishing it, and will be expectedly awaiting the next. It’s hard to compare this with anything else, but it did remind me of The Edge Chronicles.

Ideal for younger readers looking for their next step, but also for oldies like me, who enjoy fantasy and adventure!

Book 2 of 2013 finished, Among Others by Jo Walton:

Among Others was first published in 2011, and has won two awards – and yet reader reviews are varied. Having been sent a copy for review, I can see why. There’s a lot to love about this book, but also some aspects which can be annoying. I started off very unsure, but by the time I put it down, it had worked it’s magic on me, and left a smile on my face. It’s not the easiest to review, so please bear with me if I ramble around…

On it’s surface, Among Others tells the story of Mor, a fifteen year old whose twin sister was killed in the accident which has left Mor with an injured leg. Trying to get away from her mad mother, Mor ends up with her estranged father and her aunts, who send her away to boarding school. There, Mor deals with the grief of losing her sister, whilst accepting who she is, and the limitations she faces from her injuries. She discovers more about her family, and experiences her first relationships. Yes, on it’s surface, this is a coming of age novel, but there are some interesting twists.

Mor and her sister grew up seeing and playing with fairies, and her mother is a witch who tried to harm them. This gives a wonderful layer to the story, but is in no means the focus. This isn’t your traditional fantasy novel, full of other-worldly creatures and magical spells, and it’s quite possible that the fairies exist only in Mor’s mind – deciding which gives an interesting aspect, and readers will all have their own views.

The book itself is in a diary format, and runs over 300 pages in hardback and 400 in paperback. It’s a slow, mellow tale, just as you would expect from this format. To me, the first half was a little too slow, but then I’ve recently been reading some snappy YA novels, so this took some getting used to. There’s also a final aspect, which is both a positive and negative – Mor spends most of her time reading Science Fiction, and many of these books are mentioned and discussed. For fans of SF, I would imagine it would be fun spotting your own favourites, as well as checking out those new to you. For others, though, it becomes a little tedious, like being on the outside of a cliquey group. However, a book about a love of reading is always a bonus!

This is a book best approached with no expectations, and with plenty of time to give. If you allow it, it has much to give back.

Mor spends most of her time reading Science Fiction, and many of these books are mentioned and discussed. For fans of SF, I would imagine it would be fun spotting your own favourites, as well as checking out those new to you.

This is what appeals to me the most about it . . . unsurprisingly! :D

Thanks for the review, Michelle. I am intrigued by it but it's not quite reaching to top of my wishlist just yet.

Oh, and thank you for calling it SF rather than sci-fi :D

This is what appeals to me the most about it . . . unsurprisingly! :D

Thanks for the review, Michelle. I am intrigued by it but it's not quite reaching to top of my wishlist just yet.

Most are mentioned in passing, with the odd comment, but for some, she attends a book club, and there's some discussion there. I believe there's a list of all the mentioned books on Pinterest - I'll post it if I find it.

Oh, and thank you for calling it SF rather than sci-fi :D

Ooh.. why?

Ooh.. why?

I've always called it SF, so I give a little cheer when someone else does - it's such a rarity. I just can't bring myself to say 'sci-fi', I don't know why. It's always been SF or science fiction to me. I suppose the snob in me relates 'sci-fi' to pulp novels and 50's B-movies :lol::blush2:

Sounds like you need Anger Management classes :hide:

Grrrrr :giggle2:

Quick update - 2 books finished, and both reviews written (that letter bit is good for me, I normally have a list to catch up on!). The Mammoth Book of Unexplained Phenomena came for me to review the other day, so I'm reading bits of that, plus I've started The Holders on my kindle. Audio, I'm trying to finish up Dark Tower VI, then I might have a break from that before the last book.

Michelle

How are you liking the Unexplained Phenomina book ? Have you read anything in it yet that has been truly amazing ? I know some people believe in all that kind of stuff while others don't .

I like reading about things like that and trying to decide if it's true or could have logically happened.

It's kinda like a Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum in a book .

• 3 weeks later...

Three reviews written this afternoon, which feel like they've taken hours! Mind you, that includes cross posting them, contacting the authors etc.

Tempest - http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11245-tempest-by-julie-cross/

A Gift of Time - http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11244-a-gift-of-time-a-familys-diary-of-cancer-rory-maclean/

Unexplained Phenomena - http://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/the-mammoth-book-of-unexplained-phenomena-roy-bainton/

So far I'm at 6 books, which is not bad considering it's still January! :)

Currently:

Audio - Rebecca and The Man Who Rained

Book - The Girl Who Fell Below Fairyland

Kindle - The Holders

• 2 weeks later...

Have just finished Rebecca as an audiobook. Whilst it was good, and I enjoyed the characters, I have to admit being a bit underwhelmed. 

Am really enjoying the Fairyland book, it has a more grown up feel than the first. Am not being very good at picking up my kindle, but I really must!

It's interesting that you say that as  it's a book that gets raved about, yet I started it once years ago and couldn't get on with it. I always felt I ought to give it another go, but perhaps my initial instincts were right. I think I probably will try and read it again some day, but I'm not in any particular rush.

Out of interest, what was the narration like?

Edited by ~Andrea~

• 2 weeks later...

A few reviews to catch up with tomorrow. Am presently reading Fractured, which is the follow up to Slated, a rather enjoyable YA. Audio, I've started the Martian Chronicles, which was in a sale on audible - it's really not what I was expecting, but is great anyway. Has anyone else read it?

I've also come to the conclusion that I'm becoming rather fussy with my reading - if I'm not finding it really good, my mojo fights me all the way. Which is difficult when trying to read review books... I don't want to let the publishers down and not review it, but if it's not really interesting, I struggle to finish.  :doh:

I've also come to the conclusion that I'm becoming rather fussy with my reading - if I'm not finding it really good, my mojo fights me all the way.

I'm more like this now than I used to be. I also used to hate giving up on a book, and force myself to carry on, whereas now I'll just gladly put it to one side. Maybe it's because we have so many books to read but so little time to read, that it's just another semi-subconscious way of separating the wheat from the chaff.

^^  I'm thinking I should adopt this policy myself.  Life's too short - and there are far too many books I want to read - to try sticking it out through those I'm not enjoying :shrug:

I haven't read The Martian Chronicles, Michelle, although I did nearly buy it the other day.  I really enjoyed Fahrenheit 451 and Something Wicked This Way Comes, so it's definitely one I'd like to read :smile:

I haven't read The Martian Chronicles, Michelle, although I did nearly buy it the other day.  I really enjoyed Fahrenheit 451 and Something Wicked This Way Comes, so it's definitely one I'd like to read :smile:

The beginning really wasn't what I expected, although I think it will go more that way now. However, I actually loved the first few stories he told, and one in particular was quite chilling!

I've started the Martian Chronicles, which was in a sale on audible - it's really not what I was expecting, but is great anyway. Has anyone else read it?

Yes I read it last year. It wasn't what i was expecting either. It's very quirky. I found the early part of the book difficult to visualise in my head because it was so alien. But I did really like the book. My final thoughts are here: http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9591-andreas-books-2012/?p=300622

Thanks Andrea - strangely I enjoyed visualising the early stories. :)

One review down!

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M Valente

Another great cover, and another long title! ‘The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There‘ follows on from ‘The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making‘, which I reviewed last year. It’s probably not necessary to read the 1st, if you’ve picked up this one, but it would certainly add to the experience, so I would recommend going back if possible.

Both books are quite difficult to describe, and I don’t think my reviews do them justice. They are, in essence, wonderful fairy stories, with some very imaginative creatures and characters. Catherynne’s style is very lyrical, and no matter what strange thing she is describing, the words seem to flow from the page.

Most of the important characters from her earlier adventure are there, but are not themselves. In the world under Fairlyland, she meets their shadows, almost the same, but with differences – some subtle, some not so subtle. Her own shadow, taken from her during that first adventure, is in charge, and September feels that things are not right, and it’s up to her to put it right.

Amongst the strangeness and magic, there are serious themes and truths, and this felt like a more grown up book than the 1st. September is now a young teenager, and throughout her adventure, she somehow manages to go through those usual teen thoughts and situations, including learning to think about others, her plans for her future, and her first kiss.

I don’t see these books mentioned enough, and I think they have the potential to be future classics – younger readers will enjoy the magical strangeness, whilst those a little older will start to see a little deeper. There are many layers, and I’m sure I will find more on re-reading.

Recommended for readers of all ages who enjoy falling into a book and getting lost there.