Brian's 2013 Book Log

Brian.

I really must review Dr. No while it's still fairly fresh in my mind.

I decided to tick another book off of my 'World Challenge' so I bought Broken April by Ismail Kadare on the Kindle which I started this morning. Once completed it will allow me to tick off Albania.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was a great gig, both the venue and Black Sabbath were on form. The venue is just about perfect for a large gig, it would be nice to a venue like it in the UK. Ozzy sounded better than I think he has for many years and musically they were very tight. I was so excited I was like a small child at Christmas :D

I never got to see Ronnie James Dio which is something I've always regretted as I liked Holy Diver and his work for both Sabbath and Heaven and Hell.

:D  Glad you enjoyed it!

How is Tony Iommi doing, Brian?  I know he's been very ill.

I saw RJD a few years back when he toured the Holy Diver album again.  Well, I say 'saw him', but he was so small I only saw the top of his head occasionally  :D   He was very late on stage that night - I don't know if he was already suffering from the illness then.  What a voice, though.  Legend.

:D  Glad you enjoyed it!

How is Tony Iommi doing, Brian?  I know he's been very ill.

I saw RJD a few years back when he toured the Holy Diver album again.  Well, I say 'saw him', but he was so small I only saw the top of his head occasionally  :D   He was very late on stage that night - I don't know if he was already suffering from the illness then.  What a voice, though.  Legend.

Tony Iommi's playing was spot on but he did look a bit frail but that's hardly surprising. It's quite a physical feat for anyone to tour like Sabbath are let alone trying to recover from cancer along the way.

Doctor No by Ian Fleming

n20926.jpg

Synopsis

James Bond travels to the Caribbean to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a secret service team. As he uncovers the astonishing truth about strange energy waves that are interfering with U.S. missile launches, he must battle deadly assassins, sexy femmes fatales, and even a poisonous tarantula.
The search takes him to an exotic tropical island, where he meets a beautiful nature girl and discovers the hideout of Doctor No, a six-foot-six madman with a mania for torture, a lust to kill, and a fantastic secret to hide.

(taken from goodreads)

My Thoughts

I have reached a break in the James Bond series by Ian Fleming so the book I am reviewing is the Kindle version. For some reason, after book 5 my collection of physical books jumps to 11. Having this on the Kindle was an advantage as it meant I could take it to read on some recent flights I took. I'm a big fan of the James Bond movies and have enjoyed making my way through the books so far. This is the first book that was turned into a movie and the script writers stuck very close to the original plot.

I actually prefer the fact that in the books that I have read so far there is a lack of gadgets. This is also the first book that the Walther PPK makes an appearance after M demands he gets rid of his 'ladies gun'. This book is really of its time in that there are quite a few racial and sexist stereotypes made. Some people use this as a reason to beat Fleming but as long as it is in context with the time written/set I have no real  issue with it. Sure it makes a little uncomfortable reading because it seems to alien but it does serve to remind me that attitudes used to be that way.

There isn't a huge amount of action and the book felt a little flat in a few places but there are some fantastic bits of writing as well. In particular there is a scene where bond is in bed and a huge centipede is crawling over his body (a spider in the movie). The tension built up by Fleming is great and I could feel my pulse rate rising as he described the way the centipede made its way up his body. The parts where Bond first encounters the 'Dragon' are also really well written as are his interactions with Quarrel.

Although there is a sexual element to the character of Rider I don't see her as a purely one dimensional character. She doesn't need to be rescued and has a very strong knowledge of the local flora and fauna. It is very easy to slip into the mindset of seeing Fleming's female characters are being merely a sexual foil to Bond. It is interesting to note in the book that see has a broken nose which is her only 'imperfection' but that this is entirely skipped in the movie. She also has a very dark past, again this is omitted in the movies. Doctor No could have been further developed as a character but I think Fleming decided to concentrate on his power rather than his individual menace.

I enjoyed this quite a bit even if I didn't feel it quite lived up to the earlier books.

3/5 (I liked it).

Edited by Brian.

Broken April by Ismail Kadare

17902.jpg

Synopsis

From the moment that Gjorg's brother is killed by a neighbour, his own life is forfeit: for the code of Kanun requires Gjorg to kill his brother's murderer and then in turn be hunted down. After shooting his brother's killer, young Gjorg is entitled to thirty days' grace - not enough to see out the month of April.

Then a visiting honeymoon couple cross the path of the fugitive. The bride's heart goes out to Gjorg, and even these 'civilised' strangers from the city risk becoming embroiled in the fatal mechanism of vendetta.

(taken from goodreads)

My Thoughts

I have a confession to make about this book, particularly with the way I selected it. I pulled up my Around the World Marathon thread to see how few countries I have managed to tick off. When I did this I remembered picking Argentina last because I felt compelled to tick another country off the list. This time I decided "why not pick the first country on the list I haven't completed yet?" I have read Afghanistan so the next country is Albania. Now, it turns out that finding books translated into English from Albanian and readily available proved harder than I thought it would. Finally I settled on a Kindle download of Broken April by Ismail Kadare.A few other option did present themselves but this was a combination of not being too long and also not being published before the 1900's that made this book the winner.

The story revolves around a code called Kanun which basically says that if a member of your family is murdered, after a brief truce you are allowed and duty bound to avenge the death by taking a life of a person from the family of the murderer. The killings must be done in adherence with the Kanun and a truce of 30 days is observed in the period immediately after the murder. Certain areas are considered sanctuaries in which killing cannot take place, these are special roads and stone towers which contain many men hiding out because they are hunted men.

If this all sounds a bit macabre, it is. However, despite this, the code makes a certain sense even though it has lead to blood being spilled on a regular and destroying entire families. The main character Gjorg has attempted once already to avenge the death of his brother but he only succeeded in injuring the man. This injury incurs a fine which has almost bankrupted his family. This coupled with the shame of not having yet killed his brothers murderer means that he has to complete this grisly task as soon as possible. Gjorg completes this mission and enters his 30 day period of truce and we follow him as he meditates on what he has done.

At the same time a couple on their honeymoon is traveling from the city into the mountainous area and they come across the varying aspects of the Kanun code being carried out. The couple often discuss the rules of the code and what it must be like to live following this code. Being from the city they seem very interested and almost respectful of the rules even if they result in continuous bloodshed. There is a vast contrast between their heavily decorated opulent carriage and the mountain men of the region. Although the are involved in certain aspects of the Kanun being carried out they remain outsiders looking in. The wife feels drawn to Gjorg despite only having seen him in passing, Gjorg also finds himself drawn to her and spends his truce trying to find her.

I didn't expect to enjoy this book as must as I did and it isn't something that I would have probably would have read without doing the challenge. If you are doing to challenge and are struggling with Albania then seek this one out. The writing is deliciously dark and the atmosphere reminded me of Snow by Orhan Pamuk.

4/5 (I really liked it).

I built a new computer last week and I have spent a large chunk of this evening sorting out all my book lists and my ebook library. I never realised I had so much book related stuff on my laptop, maybe I should spend more time reading and less time collecting book lists. :D

I built a new computer last week and I have spent a large chunk of this evening sorting out all my book lists and my ebook library. I never realised I had so much book related stuff on my laptop, maybe I should spend more time reading and less time collecting book lists. :D

x

Sounds interesting! I love book lists too.

World War Z by Max Brooks

world-war-z-book-cover.jpg

Synopsis

It began with rumors from China about another pandemic. Then the cases started to multiply and what had looked like the stirrings of a criminal underclass, even the beginnings of a revolution, soon revealed itself to be much, much worse. Faced with a future of mindless, man-eating horror, humanity was forced to accept the logic of world government and face events that tested our sanity and our sense of reality.

Based on extensive interviews with survivors and key players in the 10-year fight-back against the horde, World War Z brings the very finest traditions of American journalism to bear on what is surely the most incredible story in the history of civilisation.

(taken from goodreads)

My Thoughts

I've been aware of this book for quite a while but I really didn't feel like it would be the kind of thing for me. I'm a fan of zombie movies like 28 Days Later but I haven't read any zombie books. However, I kept hearing good things about this book and then I saw that Hollywood decided to turn it into a movie. I have a general rule that I won't watch a movie based on a book until I have read the book. People I know think that this is insane but I'm sure most of you share my feelings. The final thing that made me decide to read this book was that I noticed people on this forum were giving it positive reviews. I have found that since I have been a member of this forum, books which get consistent praise are worth a read.

Within the first few pages I realised two things. Firstly this isn't written like a normal work of fiction and secondly I would enjoy it. There are no central characters and not plot to speak of, the book is a collection of interviews with the people who survived the zombie apocalypse. Over the course of the book these interviews give a history of how the earth reacted to the zombie problem, what it did to us and finally how the war was won. Quite frankly, this is genius and I absolutely loved the fact that the book had been written in this way.

On the face of it, this is a very entertaining book but I couldn't help but feel that Brooks was holding a mirror up to some of the best and worst the human race has to offer as well. There are the usual casualties of war, the abandonment of people who could have been rescued and nations only out for themselves. Current political issues are looked at and yet at no point does the book feel preachy. There are interviews with commander who obviously feel they made the right decision even if morally it is questionable. There are those broken by war and there are the usual war crazed macho nutters.

I really enjoyed this book and I know the movie won't stick to it, (how could it) or do it justice but that's fine, they rarely do. If you have been putting off reading this book so far, do yourself a favour and give it a go, it might surprise you.

5/5 (It was amazing).

Brian

a VERY Late Happy Birthday and Get Well Wish for you . Sorry I haven't checked into all the threads for a long time. Trying to catch up a bit now .

I would have loved to see Ozzy in person . I'm clueless about his singing, although the Hubster loves it . I just love Ozzie . He's sch a fascinating character. He'd be fun to hang out with I think , Very Eccentric .

Great review of World War Z - glad you enjoyed it! There are some really amazing individual stories in there, aren't there?

The film is fine as long as you try and pretend it isn't anything to do with the book.  :rolleyes:

I've got a copy of the movie so I may watch it at some point over Christmas. Brooks has put some real thought into some of the individual stories.

I might have to push this book further up my TBR pile.

I hope you enjoy it when you get round to it.

Brian

a VERY Late Happy Birthday and Get Well Wish for you . Sorry I haven't checked into all the threads for a long time. Trying to catch up a bit now .

I would have loved to see Ozzy in person . I'm clueless about his singing, although the Hubster loves it . I just love Ozzie . He's sch a fascinating character. He'd be fun to hang out with I think , Very Eccentric .

Thanks for the well wishes. It can be problematic catching up with all the stuff missed when you've been away for a while. Hanging out with Ozzy would be a hoot, he's such an oddball.

I popped into a charity shop today to see if anything took my fancy and I managed to come away with only 2 books. One is an introduction to the Raspberry Pi which I bought because apparently its an ideal introduction to computer programming. The other book I bought was Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I almost bought a copy of Tess by Thomas Hardy as I've promised to give it another shot but as soon as I picked it up bad memories from school came flooding back. :D

The Grown Up Gap Year Diaries by Laura Bloom

4964232.jpg

Synopsis
Many of us watch in envy as school or university-leavers jet off to far away places to relax, explore or fulfil a long-held ambition. Now, many adults are taking the bull by the horns and going on their own gap year adventure. The author of this book did just that. The Grown Up Gap Year Diaries recounts the highlights of a mid-life female traveller, including unexpected experiences and tips on how to be a responsible traveller wherever you go. Laura Bloom, author of three successful novels, has backpacked around Australia, survived an Oz Experience ‘party on wheels’ bus and lived off £5 a day after losing her bank card in Asia. This book warm-heartedly details her highs and lows of her time travelling, providing a rare insight into the day-to-day life as an adult traveller. It advises adults on the practicalities of travelling, offering money-saving tips and advice on where to go. Once you have read about one person’s intrepid adventure, be sure to use its sister book, Gap Years for Grown Ups, to find ideas for your own gap year journey.
(taken from amazon)

My Thoughts

I was in my local library this morning when I noticed this amongst the travel writing. It says its aimed at those 30+ who like the idea of a gap year but didn't do it when they were younger. I kind of fall into this group as I have played with the idea a few times but I still don't know if it's my thing. I enjoy traveling but I think I prefer to do it in small chunks and that's what I tend to do at the moment. Anyway, I hoped this book would be an insight into long term travel for those about university age so I borrowed it.

The first thing I should say about this book is that the title is a little misleading. The author doesn't go on a gap year but travels for 90 days, 20 of which are spent in basically one place in New Zealand. The book is a combination of a travellogue, a travel guide and a collection of anecdotes from other travellers. Most of the people are in their 50's. I have no particular issue with this except that the book doesn't make this clear from the start.

It is easy to get through and in fact I read it in pretty much one sitting this evening and it is divided into chapters dealing with different aspects of the whole process including planning and the boring things that are necessary before setting off. The stories from the travellers are ok but to be honest they are a bit too short and odd, I didn't expect to read about a couple on a cruise for example. The travel advice was all stuff I would consider to be common sense, like don't keep all your cash in one place and lock away valuables in the hotel/hostel safe.

This book has great reviews on both Amazon and Goodreads but it just didn't impress me that much as a book. There are far better guides out there, including for the more mature traveller. I feel mean giving it only 2 though and because the author is writing from the viewpoint of a female travelling solo maybe I'm just not the person the book was written for.

2/5 (It was ok).

Reading your thread is bad for my wish list Brian - World War Z has gone onto it this time! 

I travelled quite a bit in my younger days (I toyed with emigrating to Australia at one point) but I have now come to the conclusion, as I approach the grand old age of 30, that I can't hostel any more so travelling requires a higher budget :D I like my sleep too much to suffer 18 year olds banging about at 3am every night </killjoy> 

Sorry to hear The Grown Up Gap Year Diaries wasn't as nice as you'd hoped it would be. It sounds like a nice premise, though I'm not sure if it'd be a book for me. Personally I never really understand why people'd take a 'gap year' :blush2:, I was forced to take one due to health issues and forgot a lot of things that I then had to re-learn :banghead:. But then again, I'm not someone who'd want to travel all over the world :shrug:. My brother is thinking of travelling around the world in 80 days, in a race (called The 80 Day Race), using renewable energy sources.

Nice review of World War Z. :smile:  I read it earlier this year, but unfortunately didn't enjoy it as much as yourself (and others). I really like zombie stories, but I just didn't like the style of this one. I would have preferred to have one or a group of central characters that the story revolved around, rather than separate transcripts and interviews. There was no-one to get attached to, if you see what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

250px-Notes_from_underground_cover.jpg

Synopsis
The compelling works presented in this volume were written at distinct periods in Dostoyevsky's life, at decisive moments in his groping for a political philosophy and a religious answer. From the primitive peasant who kills without understanding that he is destroying life to the anxious antihero of Notes from Underground—who both craves and despises affection—the writer's often-tormented characters showcase his evolving outlook on our fate.

Thomas Mann described Dostoyevsky as "an author whose Christian sympathy is ordinarily devoted to human misery, sin, vice, the depths of lust and crime, rather than to nobility of body and soul" and Notes from Underground as "an awe- and teror- inspiring example of this sympathy."

(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I've had this on my TBR for just over a year and I bought it because Crime & Punishment is a book which I still think about now, even though I read it almost 2 years ago. Although I had a bit of a hard time reading it I ended up giving it a 3 star rating because of the lasting impression it made on me. It didn't strike me as amazing but yet I couldn't get it out of my head. Notes from Underground is a short, novella length book so I knew that even if I had a hard time reading it, it would be short enough to get through quickly.

The book is split into two main parts with the first part being a collection of thoughts from the 'Underground Man'. There is no story or plot to this section and there are a lot of ideas introduced which are covered in a bit more depth later in the book. We never find out the name of the Underground Man but the book is lived in his head and from his viewpoint. For some reason I just couldn't on with this part of the book and I almost put it aside for another time. I found it pretty hard to get through and I found myself having to re-reading the same page over and over again.

However, I stuck with it and the second part is the story which has an actual plot and characters. This part I got on with far better. None of the characters are particularly developed but I wouldn't expect them to be because of the length of the book. We still get to see what is going on inside Underground Man's head but this time at a much more relaxed pace.

In the end I have jumped between 2 and 3 stars a few times. Although I really didn't get on with the first part, the second part has had me thinking a lot since I finished the book. I have decided to go with 3 because of this.

3/5 (I liked it).

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Neverwhere.jpg

Synopsis
Under the streets of London there's a place most people could never even dream of. A city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, knights in armour and pale girls in black velvet. This is the city of the people who have fallen between the cracks.

Richard Mayhew, a young businessman, is going to find out more than enough about this other London. A single act of kindness catapults him out of his workday existence and into a world that is at once eerily familiar and utterly bizarre. And a strange destiny awaits him down here, beneath his native city: Neverwhere.

(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

This is the first Neil Gaiman book for me even though I have had American Gods sitting on mt TBR for a while. The reason I decided to read this one first is that it was mentioned on a books podcast I listen to. I can't exactly remember what the topic of discussion was but I think it may have been books about alternative London. This book was mentioned in passing, but the idea of London under sparked something in me and I just knew that I had to read this book.

The book revolves around Richard, a young man who works in an office in the city of London. He has highly stressful job, a wife to be, and the things that make up our everyday lives. On an evening out with his fiance, Jessica, he finds a young girl who looks injured and despite the protests of Jessica he decides to help her. This single act of kindness throws his life into complete disarray as he discovers there is another London that he knew nothing about.

Gaiman manages to paint wonderful scenes and characters in this book and I found myself so enthralled by it that I read it in a day and a half. Considering that my mojo has been a bit off and that this is only the second fantasy book I have read, this is remarkable. I can't really speak much more about the book without spoiling it so I will just say this.

Go and read it.

5/5 (It was amazing).