Brian's 2013 Book Log

Brian.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I've been meaning to be on here a little more recently but this past week I have been really quite ill. Yesterday was the first day in over a week where I felt ok and today I feel better again which is a good thing because I am going to The Netherlands on Thursday for a short break and to see Black Sabbath. I have to work on Tuesday & Wednesday and then I'm off work until the 12th  December which will give me a chance to catch up on my university work as well.

Book wise I have finished The Deniable Agent by Colin Berry which I enjoyed a lot and review will be up before the end of the month hopefully. I have quite a large kindle wishlist and I have a few vouchers to spend on books but I haven't bought any just yet. I did pick up some Ian Fleming books from the charity shop a few weeks ago though.

Sorry to hear you've been unwell, Brian. Glad you're feeling better now though. Enjoy your trip! And a belated Happy Birthday!  :flowers2:

I enjoyed your review of Poor Economics. I find these types of books really interesting. I used to work in an economics department of a major bank and had to read many economics paper. I found the subject very boring, but books like Freakonomics and the like make it so much more interesting. :)

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I've been meaning to be on here a little more recently but this past week I have been really quite ill. Yesterday was the first day in over a week where I felt ok and today I feel better again which is a good thing because I am going to The Netherlands on Thursday for a short break and to see Black Sabbath. I have to work on Tuesday & Wednesday and then I'm off work until the 12th  December which will give me a chance to catch up on my university work as well.

x

I wish you lots of fun! I looked it up, they're playing in Amsterdam. It's great to think you'll be a bit closer to here and get to be in my country etc. Have you been to the Netherlands before?

Jealous! Black Sabbeth, enjoy!

I will :smile:

Sorry to hear you've been unwell, Brian. Glad you're feeling better now though. Enjoy your trip! And a belated Happy Birthday!  :flowers2:

I enjoyed your review of Poor Economics. I find these types of books really interesting. I used to work in an economics department of a major bank and had to read many economics paper. I found the subject very boring, but books like Freakonomics and the like make it so much more interesting. :)

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Like you, I find 'pure' economics a very boring subject but when economics are applied in these ways I find it fascinating.

Glad to hear you are feeling better Brian, I'm sure a Black Sabbath will blow any remaining cobwebs away! :D

Yeah I'm sure they will, they are one of my favourite bands

x

I wish you lots of fun! I looked it up, they're playing in Amsterdam. It's great to think you'll be a bit closer to here and get to be in my country etc. Have you been to the Netherlands before?

I think this will be my 8th trip to the Netherlands. I've been to Amsterdam a few times before and I've also visited Arnhem, Rotterdam, The Hague and I think Lieden (I was very young then).

Glad your feeling better Brian it's no fun being sick on your birthday :o Where abouts in Amsterdam are Blackk Sabbath playing?

They are playing at the Ziggo Dome which is only a short train ride away from the centre of the city.

I think this will be my 8th trip to the Netherlands. I've been to Amsterdam a few times before and I've also visited Arnhem, Rotterdam, The Hague and I think Lieden (I was very young then).

x

Awesome :)! I was born in Arnhem and lived there for the first one and a half years of my life. I've visited all the cities you mentioned (you mean Leiden, right?), they're all nice in their own right.

Belated Happy Birthday, and hope you enjoy the Black Sabb :smile: ! 

Thanks

x

Awesome :)! I was born in Arnhem and lived there for the first one and a half years of my life. I've visited all the cities you mentioned (you mean Leiden, right?), they're all nice in their own right.

Yeah I meant Leiden, my fingers often work faster than my brain unfortunately :D

I've purchased a few Kindle books this afternoon and still have plenty left in my gift account. I'll have to narrow down some more books to buy :D

I bought Dr. No by Ian Fleming as it's the next book in the James Bond series. I picked up a few of the books in the series from a charity shop but I want to make sure I read them in order and I think I bought books 11-14. I also bought We by Yevgeny Zamyatin which I almost bought a few times in the past.

They are playing at the Ziggo Dome which is only a short train ride away from the centre of the city.

Not heard of that one  :unsure: We lived in Amsterdam for awhile & went to a few gigs at the Paradiso &  saw The Cramps at the Jaap Edenhal. The Paradiso is a really good venue as it's small so there's a good atmosphere  :smile:

Belated Happy Birthday, Brian :smile:

It's a cracking venue - I saw Rush there earlier this year.  It's right next to Ajax's stadium, which is very impressive :smile:

Enjoy the show! :D

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Not heard of that one  :unsure: We lived in Amsterdam for awhile & went to a few gigs at the Paradiso &  saw The Cramps at the Jaap Edenhal. The Paradiso is a really good venue as it's small so there's a good atmosphere  :smile:

x

I didn't know you've lived in Amsterdam! Did you like it? Personally I find Amsterdam crowded and noisy :lol:, it's definitely not my favourite city of the Netherlands. That said, it has its own charms, I love the canals and some of the houses.

Edited by Athena

It's a pretty new venue, it only opened last summer but I've heard pretty good things about it so far. It's only a 15 minute train ride out of the city which is always an added bonus.

Belated Happy Birthday, Brian :smile:

It's a cracking venue - I saw Rush there earlier this year.  It's right next to Ajax's stadium, which is very impressive :smile:

Enjoy the show! :D

Thanks, I will.

x

I didn't know you've lived in Amsterdam! Did you like it? Personally I find Amsterdam crowded and noisy :lol:, it's definitely not my favourite city of the Netherlands. That said, it has its own charms, I love the canals and some of the houses.

I did like it very much Athena :smile: I lived in Amsterdam for about 7 years, it's where i met my husband & our first two children were born there so i have lots of fond memories of it.I agree it is a very busy city with lots going on but that's what i liked about it i suppose, Amsterdam has lots of attractions & distractions ;)  After the children were born we moved to Lelystad where we lived for about 2 years, didn't like that so much & then we moved to Dublin which is where my husband is from & we stayed there for another 2 years before moving back to my home city Leeds. I can't see us moving on anymore as the children are happy & settled here but you never know, never say never as they say  :D

It's a pretty new venue, it only opened last summer but I've heard pretty good things about it so far. It's only a 15 minute train ride out of the city which is always an added bonus.

That explains why i've never heard about it. That's one of the things i loved about Amsterdam it's a small city & they have a great transport system so most places are easy & quick to get to  :smile:

The Deniable Agent by Colin Berry

840330.jpg

Synopsis

As far as Colin Berry's family was concerned, he'd gone to Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban to market low-cost modular housing; but the truth was much more complicated. Berry, a former soldier, had been recruited by British
intelligence to secretly buy back weapons systems which had been delivered to the Mujahideen during their struggle against the Soviets. Giving riveting insight into the covert world of intelligence, Berry reveals his involvement in reconnaissance missions to remote mountain villages where he was able to see first hand the ravaging effects of
decades of warfare. The story culminates in a hotel room shootout that left two Afghans injured and Berry himself seriously wounded. He finally reveals the truth about what happened in the Intercontinental Hotel that night, as well as how he spent nearly a year in a stinking Afghan jail.

(taken from goodreads)

My Thoughts

I grabbed this book off of my TBR bookcase because I fancied something light and easy to read. I've always been a fan of military memoirs and in fact they were my first foray into reading 'grown up' books when I was an adolescent. I was pretty sure that I hadn't read this book but once I was about halfway through it occurred to me that the story seemed very familiar.

There isn't a huge amount I can write about this book because it is a good solid read if a little unspectacular. Despite being a military memoir in tone it deals more with the freelance intelligence aspect of Afghanistan. Berry is caught out in a middle ground between working for the British government and being a contractor at the same time. He assumes that should the worst happen he will be assisted in some form because he is providing them with information that they need.

The worst does happen and by a stroke of misfortune he ends up being taken to an unsecured Afghan hospital. This leads to him being arrested and taken into custody by the police. It is clear that during this time Berry feels betrayed by the British Government and some the military leaders on the ground who were responsible for him being handed over. The situation eventually gets sorted out but not until some time has elapsed due to the political situation he unwittingly finds himself in.

This book is an interesting and pleasant read.

3/5 (I liked it).

I managed to finish Dr. No by Ian Fleming last night, a review will follow either tonight or at some point tomorrow. I also spent my Waterstones gift card today and bought World War Z by Max Brooks, Enders Game by Orson Scott Card and Hawthorn & Child by Keith Ridgway.

I managed to finish Dr. No by Ian Fleming last night, a review will follow either tonight or at some point tomorrow. I also spent my Waterstones gift card today and bought World War Z by Max Brooks, Enders Game by Orson Scott Card and Hawthorn & Child by Keith Ridgway.

World War Z is a great book, hope you enjoy it. :D

How did you enjoy Black Sabbath, Brian?  I saw them in 1980 when Ronnie James Dio was fronting them (I was 14 at the time!) but I'd have loved to have seen them with Ozzy!

It was a great gig, both the venue and Black Sabbath were on form. The venue is just about perfect for a large gig, it would be nice to a venue like it in the UK. Ozzy sounded better than I think he has for many years and musically they were very tight. I was so excited I was like a small child at Christmas :D

I never got to see Ronnie James Dio which is something I've always regretted as I liked Holy Diver and his work for both Sabbath and Heaven and Hell.