Vodkafan's book list 2013

vodkafan

I gave up after about the 9th Stephanie Plum book, VF. She does keep recycling things, so they are a bit samey. They were still good for a light read, but I realised I should focus on other books instead.

Ah I was afraid that might be the case. I will see how I go. Thanks Kylie!

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave up after about the 9th Stephanie Plum book, VF. She does keep recycling things, so they are a bit samey. They were still good for a light read, but I realised I should focus on other books instead.

I made it to about 13 or 14......the recycling doesn't get any better...she puts one out about every year, I wonder if she truly puts effort into them anymore:/

I made it to about 13 or 14......the recycling doesn't get any better...she puts one out about every year, I wonder if she truly puts effort into them anymore:/

I've got up to 17, but simply because when the first ones were brought out, 1-7 or so, me and Dad used to both read them on summer holidays when I was a teenager. I used to steal them out of his suitcase so I could read them first. The memories associated with them made me want to persevere but I've found the last 3 or 4 uninspiring, due to the overly recycled nature. However, given the memories they evoke, and the fact I can get them done in a couple of days, ill probably get round to the last 3 eventually.

I also haven't read Rebecca yet, so I'll be in on a mini group read (if I may be so bold as to invite myself!).

I'm late to spot this, but sure thing! :)

The Book Thief

Markus Zusak 6/6

The Book Thief certainly did take me through some emotions and exercised the old tear glands a little bit. It is a wonderful story. But the reason that I gave it 6/6 was because it reminded me of a truth that sometimes I forget.

YOU MUST GIVE EACH CHILD JUST WHAT THEY NEED .

No more, no less.

Sometimes, as a parent, I am guilty of making do with giving a child what I think he or she should have. But you have to try a bit harder, like Hans Huberman. And I am not talking about food and toys or material things, although of course there can be love in giving those things. It is about knowing each child is different and needs different things from an adult to grow....that is what I will take away from The Book Thief.

Thank you, Marcus Zusak !

I'm so happy you enjoyed the novel :D It's very touching and thought provoking. One of the books I think everyone should read, imho.

For The Sins Of My Father sounds like a very interesting book since it is from a different point of view to the normal mafia account.

It is good I have almost finished it. PM me your address Brian I can send it to you after if you want.

For The Sins Of My Father

Albert DeMeo 4/6

Albert always wondered as a small child why his father was always around and did not go everyday to work like other fathers seemed to. And as he got older, also why everybody in the neighbourhood seemed to know and respect him and rush to give his father gifts and services. In truth, Roy DeMeo was a feared Mafia assassin and racket runner for the infamous Gambino family.

Although Albert and his sisters grew up with plenty of money and privileges and their father at home was a loving and devoted father, little by little Albert came to know his father's lifestyle. This part of the book was the most interesting as each significant fact gets revealed in turn and adds a sort of pressure onto the boy's life, which is really fear. For instance, he was only 6 or 7 when he found a gun and knife inside his dad's car. Albert was 11 when he realised with an sort of instinctive certainty that his father would one day be be killed by the same people he worked for and he never slept properly ever again.

The book was for me split into four parts; Albert's early childhood and loss of innocence; his adolescence and fear as his father rises higher in the Mafia ranks and then becomes a liability; The time after Roy's murder when Albert tries to start a new life, hassled by both the FBI and the Mafia; and finally his descent into mental breakdown and a new beginning.

It all seemed to have the weight of truth and I was very into it until the last part , which just seemed too glib and made up. But still an absorbing read.

Edited by vodkafan

It is good I have almost finished it. PM me your address Brian I can send it to you after if you want.

That's very kind of you. Take a look through my 'read' books on goodreads (link in my sig) and see if there is anything you fancy in trade.

That's very kind of you. Take a look through my 'read' books on goodreads (link in my sig) and see if there is anything you fancy in trade.

Lots of good boy books on there. I am just going to look at a few reviews on Amazon I will PM you thanks Brian.

Good review, James . I haven't read very many mafia-type books,although I do love true crime. It's one area I haven't read much about . I "think" there's a book out there by a daughter of one of the main head-honchos in the mafia . Not sure ,but it may be Victoria Gotti ? I think that lifestyle would be very difficult for the kids especially .The wives probably know ,early into the relationship,what is going on,but the kids probably have a more gradual understanding of it .

Good review, James . I haven't read very many mafia-type books,although I do love true crime. It's one area I haven't read much about . I "think" there's a book out there by a daughter of one of the main head-honchos in the mafia . Not sure ,but it may be Victoria Gotti ? I think that lifestyle would be very difficult for the kids especially .The wives probably know ,early into the relationship,what is going on,but the kids probably have a more gradual understanding of it .

Joe Gotti gets mentioned in the book.

I've got up to 17, but simply because when the first ones were brought out, 1-7 or so, me and Dad used to both read them on summer holidays when I was a teenager. I used to steal them out of his suitcase so I could read them first. The memories associated with them made me want to persevere but I've found the last 3 or 4 uninspiring, due to the overly recycled nature. However, given the memories they evoke, and the fact I can get them done in a couple of days, ill probably get round to the last 3 eventually.

did you happen to watch the movie based on the first? One For the Money?

did you happen to watch the movie based on the first? One For the Money?

I have seen it in Blockbusters. I do think Katherine Heigl is OK so I may watch it. Only trouble is if I don't like the people who play Morelli and Ranger and Lula and Grandma Mazur I will be stuck with them in my head every time I read the books

I have seen it in Blockbusters. I do think Katherine Heigl is OK so I may watch it. Only trouble is if I don't like the people who play Morelli and Ranger and Lula and Grandma Mazur I will be stuck with them in my head every time I read the books

I do too. The movie wasn't horrible, it had a few entertaining moments

I just got a book present through from Sofia in America.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood and

Miss Perguine's Home For Peculiar Children.

Thanks Sofia! :flowers2:

Going to add these now to my TBR list. Miss Pereguine I am especially happy to get, it was high on my wishlist.