Julie ~ "Lucky" 2013 ~ Booklist

julie

It seems that everyone is intrigued by the Cat Hair book. I kinda thought they could do a combo deal, and craft a pair of SHOES out of the hair, since the other book was how to make your own shoes . Kinda like fuzzy slippers . 

As for the Cat in the Hat movie , I think you either needed to be on drugs to enjoy it, or maybe it DID seem as if they were all on some type of hallucinogenic . I watched it with the grandson and he was little ,and I'd pretty much do anything for him ,so it was a small price to pay .  :)  

As for the Grinch, I've never seen the one with people, just the cartoon one. It's been on probably almost my whole life , Not sure what year it started, but it was a yearly show along with Rudolph and Frosty .

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Poppy

Yea, everything in the Shrek movie is so cool --I heard something new each time I watched it. Such a clever idea to put all the characters from kid's stories into one movie . The Gingerbread guy was really funny .. the 3 blind mice .. it took me awhile to catch onto some of them . Weird to say, my grandson had to explain some of them to me.. As I said, I'm no movie fan, so it's a challenge to sit through one and listen to it enough to keep track of who is saying what .

Another one I LOVED was Jumanji -- I drove the grandson batty with it. He liked it, but I made him watch it as much as he made me watch the others . We've also got the board game, but I can't get him to play it anymore. Too old I guess. ( Him, not me ) :)

Edited by julie

What great titles Julie!  :D   From the bizarre to the downright hilariously funny. 

Re Dr. Seuss, I've never read any of them, nor seen any movie, cartoon, nuttin'!  The closest I've come is noticing them on the shelf at the bookstore.

Claire

Thanks for the funny book list. I think the one that might be interesting was Goblin-proofing your Chicken Coop . I'm not sure how to spot a goblin,  or why the little fellows would be interested in chickens, or what they would do to one if they had him, but that one might be worth reading , IF it was about 3 pages long .

You gotta get a Seuss for your collection ! You'd love them if you had them, such clever stories . The one I Can Read With My Eyes Shut ...  so cute .... lots of good ones ,but Green Eggs and Ham would win as my favorite .  The Grandson loved it so much, he'd laugh everytime I read it to him ..about 1300 times probably ... after awhile, we both had it memorized, and he could "read " it to me when he was about 2 -- he knew all the words from every page .

Edited by julie

About your news with the doc and all: I'm sooo very late to this, I've been very much behind on people's reading logs. I had no idea what you were going through, but I'm so, so happy for you and the good news!!! :smile2::friends3: :friends3: :friends3:   It must feel so great! It's like a second chance at everything.... Enjoy! :D

Thanks, Frankie  :)

I Finally finished another book ... GEEZ ,what a long reading slump this has been, and an odd choice to pull me out of it .

Anyhow, I just completed a book called Crapalachia : a Biography of Place  ,by Scott McClanahan .

This book was fairly short , written by a young guy who grew up in the hills of West Virginia . It is told in short bursts of stories . I guess a fancy reviewer would use the word SPARSE .  My Dad grew up in WV ,and had a pretty sad life ,so rarely talked of it , only in small little stories like this book has . Some of them were funny , but most were heartbreakingly sad .  It tells of a proud person, proud of where he came from, proud of the people he was related to, and proud of his fellow West Virginians . He tells of how many families were affected by poverty, alcohol and drug abuse, terrible coal mining tragedies and poor people who worked any job they could,  many of them paying the ultimate price of their lives in order to take care of their duties .

It wasn't all sad, there were parts that sounded horribly sad, but the author helps you to see the "good" side of things too .

It was a very touching tribute from a boy whose family was nowhere near perfect, but he loved them all the same and misses so many of them who are no longer here to tell their stories. That's why he decided to do it for them .

Here's just a short line in the book that I highlighted :

I felt darkness because I had been deep in the hollers , and I knew glory because I had stood on top of the beautiful mountaintops .  More mountaintops, please . More mountaintops .

Anyhow, this book gets a 5/5 . Short, sad ,but oh, it teaches you so much . How to be thankful, how to accept people as they are ,how to miss them BEFORE they are gone . How to hold onto the memories because someday that's all you'll have left .

Great review .. sounds like a good book Julie :) It shouldn't be difficult to put those lessons into practice should it? but life tends to get in the way and we forget what's important. We get so wrapped up in the small things .. it's silly really after all we're only here briefly .. we should be cherishing people and making the most of every day instead of focusing on the negatives. I think I might explode though if I wasn't unreasonable occasionally :D

Miss Poppy

Yes it's true, it shouldn't be difficult to appreciate the people in our lives , and also shouldn't need reminded to do that . I think I need a reminder to do that, though . Maybe it's taking advantage ? Not knowing what you have til it's gone ? ( Didn't they make a song with that line ?)

Anyhow, I seem to go for books like this that really punch you in the gut with Life Lessons .  Maybe I'm trying to apply them to my life and learn how to be a better person . Not sure ...

Today I found the coolest idea and never heard of it before . It's apparently a fairly new invention called The Little Free Library. Anyone in the world can make one in their own front yard. Build a mini-library drop box on a post and place it in your front yard or at the end of your driveway. You can be as decorative as you'd like with it . Place some books you have completed and no longer want in the box. Register it to this website ,which gives coordinates on how to find it .Anyone can borrow a book ,as long as they replace it with one of their own. It'd be a nice way to share your books and possibly find some new ones in your box that you could read ,too !

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=201860500793147213935.0004ac6e854ff1e35e434

This shows a world map ,then you can click on the location to find one near you . Maybe you could visit one and find a book you are searching for !

What books can help YOU do :

The following is a list of books that tell you what YOU can learn to do :

YOU Can Master Life  --

( currently working on this one )

YOU Can Change the World 

--( Not sure this one is up my alley)

YOU Can Be Happy with Dental Plates -

-(Haven't had the need for these yet ,but I think I'd be happier having them than not having teeth at all)

YOU Can Train Your Cat -

-( Don't currently HAVE a cat, but I think cats have a mind of their own and do whatever they want most of the time )

YOU Can Find Uranium

(  Haven't ever LOOKED for it  ,but not sure I'd know what it was if I found it or what to DO with it if I did )

YOU Can Speak for God

( I'm not very much of a church-goer, but I don't think ANY of us can do this one )

YOU Can Find a Fortune

Still looking .............. I'd rather find THIS than Uranium

You Can Do Anything With Crepes

I'm wondering what other uses crepes would have other than being EDIBLE ? 

YOU Can Teach Your Dog to Eliminate on Command

Having a party that is a little dull ? Try this trick to get it kicked off !

Could you use crepes to block draughts do you think? .. might be worth a try this winter. You can't train a cat .. not really .. you can think you're training it but really .. it's doing as it pleases. My dad definitely reckons that having dental plates (and not teeth) is the answer .. he pulled a lot of his teeth himself (and sometimes it involved pliers :o .. sometimes it involved slamming a door :o and once it involved a piece of string tied around a heavy weight that he threw out of the bathroom window :o  :o  :o) and it's hard to disagree with him when toothache strikes. I don't know that you can master life .. life rather masters you :D and obviously some people can change the world but most of us are lucky to put a dent in it :D I'd like to find a fortune but I think I've already exhausted the search.

I'm not speaking for God :hide: 

Can you teach your husband to eliminate on command? :D .. I wouldn't let him wait until I said 'dinner is ready' if so :D 

You can't train a cat .. not really .. you can think you're training it but really .. it's doing as it pleases. 

Can you teach your husband to eliminate on command? :D .. I wouldn't let him wait until I said 'dinner is ready' if so :D 

The only thing I've successfully 'trained' Candyfloss to do is not to bite me when I say "no biting", sadly it doesn't work for anyone else. :D

My Dad is notorious for going to the loo when we say dinner is ready, it winds my Mum up no end!!  :P

You guys are funny ~~  :D

Poppy

Your dad sounds like a real card , and one of a kind funny . He must be tough to yank out his own teeth .

Chalie

Why do you reckon your dad would rather go to the bathroom than come to eat ? Does your mom make Coal Miner's Boot Sandwiches like I do, and he is trying to put off eating them as long as possible ?

Athena

It sounds like you had a very good pup . Do you have another one now ?

Athena

It sounds like you had a very good pup . Do you have another one now ?

x

At the moment we have Boris and Pamuk. Boris is the pup, though he should be an adult in a little while I think? Tomorrow we've had him for a year. Pamuk is a few years older. I have to be honest though, and say that Boris doesn't listen as good as Yossi (whom I referred to above, and Maya) did (and Pamuk does). He's a Komondor, they're known for making their own decisions and taking a while to learn your rules. Once they know them they won't violate them, it's just that he doesn't seem to accept some of them yet (maybe it takes more time).

Gladly though he's not peeing inside or anything, it's mainly that he's so big and doesn't understand that he can't fit in certain spaces, or that sometimes we want to have him in a different room because he could otherwise, for example, eat the cake off visitor's plates (if there is a birthday), but then he opens the door. He often runs into us (and believe me, he weighs ~60 kg so that isn't pleasant). Anyway maybe with time he'll learn better how things work. I haven't managed to really teach him to lie down to be honest.. I tried for a while but when it took longer than with the other three (with whom it didn't take that long at all), I kind of stopped trying it myself. He can do it on command and sometimes does it, but other times he doesn't. I think he knows what it means but sometimes doesn't feel like it.

I'm sorry for rambling in your thread :blush:.

So.. in more bookishness, any interesting finds? Are you reading anything at the moment?

Chalie

FUNNY ! 

Athena

I don't mind if you ramble at all. Fine with me . I do a lot of that myself . 

As for reading , I'm kinda jumping from one book to another .Haven't been able to settle on one at the moment, although I recently picked up several new ones for my Kindle ... I think there's just lots of other things on my mind right now ,which makes it hard for me to concentrate on reading ..  I need to remedy that soon, though , or learn to concentrate harder on a book when life gets to be irritating .

Today I found the coolest idea and never heard of it before . It's apparently a fairly new invention called The Little Free Library. Anyone in the world can make one in their own front yard. Build a mini-library drop box on a post and place it in your front yard or at the end of your driveway. You can be as decorative as you'd like with it . Place some books you have completed and no longer want in the box. Register it to this website ,which gives coordinates on how to find it .Anyone can borrow a book ,as long as they replace it with one of their own. It'd be a nice way to share your books and possibly find some new ones in your box that you could read ,too !

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=201860500793147213935.0004ac6e854ff1e35e434

This shows a world map ,then you can click on the location to find one near you . Maybe you could visit one and find a book you are searching for !

That is a very cool idea!

Edited by vodkafan

Only 3 in England so I zoomed in on one that was on one of the stops on the railway down to London...just in case I might want to get off and borrow a book..  

Edited by vodkafan

James

That would be interesting to see what selection you could find . One year when we went to Myrtle Beach, SC -- one of the permanent campers at the campground had a little shelter in front of her camper .She had taken several layers of heavy plastic and stapled it up on all sides to make an enclosed-type little hut . Then she filled it on all the sides with bookshelves and she put books on all of them. She put a note up at the camp store to come to her campsite and check out a book .

She had a system just like these little mailboxes -- you could take one or 2 or however many you wanted, just bring some of yours to replace the ones you take, so it was an ever-revolving library . They get visitors there from all over the US and probably lots of foreign countries. I know it's a huge tourist area . I thought it was such a neat idea . She had even painted the sides with starfish and all types of seashells ,and had little chairs inside .It was so cute !