Favourite meal out / take away

ian

So you're going out for a nice meal. If you had completely free choice as to the type of meal what would be your first choice? Indian? Chinese? Or something a bit different?

I don't often get to choose myself, the venue is usually dictated by either Ruth or the kids. I don't mind that, I like all food too much to be that bothered! Ruth is always going to pick Indian, whereas the kids usually want McDonalds

But personally, given a free choice, I'll go for a carvery. Next up would be Mexican

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love a proper Flemish Stew during the winter, and always have that if we head off to Belguim for a visit. It is hunks of meat cooked in a rich abbey ale gravy and served with chips - delicious!

I adore Indian food, but head for flavours rather than heat.

Finally, I would choose chinese cuisine. Nothing beats the flavours of a decent chinese meal for subtlety, heat and nuance. We have a terrific place near us that we occasionally use. Fortunately it's quite expensive, so it is most definitelya special occasion only restaurant.

But personally, given a free choice, I'll go for a carvery. Next up would be Mexican

This might be a silly question, but what's a carvery? :)

I would go for some Chinese and Mexican. Nom nom nom, all the way through :) I visit those types of restaurants very seldom, but they are what I like the best (out of what I've tried so far in my life).

Silly indeed, do you not have restaurants in carpenters shops in Finland? We do. You can watch someone whittle wood whilst you eat rustic fare.

Do not trust this person - they are fibbing!!!! (Although it would be interesting!)

A carvery is a restaurant where you have a variety of roasted meats (generally Chicken/Turkey, Gammon and Beef). You choose the meat, then help yourself to any of the vegetables on offer, buffet style. I'm not suprised you haven't heard of it, as it's basically British food, and as we all know, British food is usually considered one of the worst in the world!

Do not trust this person - they are fibbing!!!! (Although it would be interesting!)

Don't worry, I wasn't fooled for a second ;)

A carvery is a restaurant where you have a variety of roasted meats (generally Chicken/Turkey, Gammon and Beef). You choose the meat, then help yourself to any of the vegetables on offer, buffet style. I'm not suprised you haven't heard of it, as it's basically British food, and as we all know, British food is usually considered one of the worst in the world!

Thanks for the explanation! Yes, I've heard the same thing about the English cuisine, but I'm not bothered: I won't judge it til I've tried it :)

British food is usually considered one of the worst in the world!

How can you say this after your budget Tesco Christmas Dinner :o:D My Mum's roast dinner is the best in the world, I can't say mine is though :giggle: it must have skipped a generation :D

Italian is my favourite. I do like both Indian and Chinese but it all depends from where. I like a good plate of fish and chips but really, it's no good if you're fussy ... some of it is :negative:

I like a good plate of fish and chips but really, it's no good if you're fussy ... some of it is :negative: [/font]

If you're ever near Hastings get some fish and chips from The Blue Dolphin, I have never had fish and chips that taste better... Though watch out for the seagulls, they stole my sons battered sausage.... :D

Well I suppose our favourite takeway meal is Indian - we usually eat it once a week. My favourite restaurant meal is Carvery or French. We both steer clear of Thai because as you can imagine my OH says they're usually rubbish here!! (but then he was a Thai chef back there). :smile:

If you're ever near Hastings get some fish and chips from The Blue Dolphin, I have never had fish and chips that taste better... Though watch out for the seagulls, they stole my sons battered sausage.... :D

We're not a million miles from Hastings and we always have fish and chips at the Blue Dolphin. You are absolutely right, they are the best in the area.

No one for a kebab then? ;)

I have never eaten a kebab from a kebab shop, more than happy to eat my own or from a restaurant with proper chunks of chicken, veg etc but the ones in kebab shops never appeal. I think in the UK they are often seen as food for those turning out of pubs late on a Friday/Saturday evening..I wonder if that is universal??? :)

I have never eaten a kebab from a kebab shop, more than happy to eat my own or from a restaurant with proper chunks of chicken, veg etc but the ones in kebab shops never appeal. I think in the UK they are often seen as food for those turning out of pubs late on a Friday/Saturday evening..I wonder if that is universal??? :)

I can't say about the whole world, but I also associate kebab with little shop vendours where people go to get some after an evening in a pub/bar :) But I've also had kebab during the day in a pizza restaurant kind of place, so it's not only an afterhours sort of snack.

No one for a kebab then? ;)

It's the craving I've had for a kebab the last few days that made me start this thread! And yes, I'm talking about the artery-clogging, death-in-a-pitta that is the chip shop kebab. Lamb (allegedly), smothered in Chilli sauce, mint sauce & lemon. Just thinking about it makes me feel unhealthy and greasy. Plus, if I have one, I figure I might as well go the whole hog and have a potato scallop or two with it.

I'm one for kebabs, absolutely love them and our last two takeaway meals have been kebabs (hold the mint sauce though!). They are impossible to eat even when you are sober, so I don't know how drunk people manage! We usually eat ours with a fork and knife, to cut down on the mess. :giggle:

I'm quite open to new foods, but husband is quite picky, so we don't usually try that many new foods. I love Chinese, Thai and Mexican, but am quite happy to try most foods.

I am definitely going to write that recommendation down (if I am ever near Hastings it will be because I've gone in search of decent fish and chips :D). In my humble opinion fish and chips is always better the nearer the seaside you are, not being that near .. the fish and chips here are a bit vomit-into-the-toilet.gif in the chippy's that is, in the restaurants they're pretty good but it's not quite the same sitting down to posh beer battered fish and chips.

• 2 weeks later...

I like almost any veggie food, but it has to also be wheat free. A lot of people get confused about the difference between wheat and gluten free thinking that they are the same thing, but they are not. As far far as takeaways are concerned, I would say Chinese every time, but my favourite sit down meal has to be sausage and mash from our favourite veggie friendly cafe - the chef is the brother of the chef where I work, and both are superb cooks. At this particular place it comes swimming in a thick onion gravy with about 10 different vegetables and a big pile of buttery mash - everything that really good veggie food should be. :smile:

Edited by Talisman

If I'm ordering takeaway, it's gonna be from a Cork-based pizza place called Uncle Pete's. Why they haven't branched out beyond Cork is beyond me, they're incredible - their food is so flavoursome. There's no other way to describe it. They also have a sit down part to their restaurant in town - in there I've gotten their sweet chilli chicken baguette with melted cheese, and it sounds simple but believe me that is where the absolute quality of their ingredients shows every other restaurant up - simple idea, incredible execution. Same goes for the BBQ pizza I order from them, and their homemade tiramisiu. Absolutely divine food, commonly overlooked due to classification as pizzeria.