Mrs Bookworms Book Blog

Mrs_Bookworm

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm enjoying it so far not sure if its the full version though? I have downloaded an app thing on my phone to try get back into reading before I buy more books (running out of room and the hubby prefers his films to books).

So the one on my phone is only 123 pages and it just seems short :s

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on the actual length of the book

Cheers

My copy of Alice in Wonderland in Alice in Wonderland & Alice Through the Looking-Glass has 144 pages, my copy of Alice in Wonderland in The Complete Illustrated Lewis Carroll has 100 pages. It is short, I agree. I hope this helps :).

Book One

The Diary of a Submissive - Sophie Morgan

the-diary-of-a-submissive-a-true-story.j

Blurb (as written on the back of the book)

Sophie Morgan is a young, independent woman working as a journalist. She's intelligent, articulate, witty and fun. The girl next door. Except that in bed she surrenders her freedom to a dominant man for their mutual pleasure...

Sophie's memoir tells the true story of what it means to be a submissive. We follow her from the unexpected thrill of her first encounter through to gasp-inducing punishments as she experiments with her newly awakened sexuality - but it isn't until she meets James, a real life Christian Grey, that Sophie finds herself pushing her eroticism to its limits. As their relationshiop grows darker she begins to ask herself: how far is she willing to go - physically and emotionally?

Ok so after having read the 50 Shades trilogy earlier on in the year I was reluctent to buy this book but for less than 4 quid (and the sheer curiosity to hear what a real submissive had to say on the subject) I bought the book.

Now for me 50 Shades had too much lip biting and loose hanging trousers. I made no sense to me and felt like it had been written by a child. I got fed up with Christian's mood swings and the fact it was Twilight with pages and pages of sex added and no vampires or werewolves.

'The Diary of a Submissive' is so much better, I felt as though I was there with Sophie (which may sound a little odd but I know what I mean). It's written to a good standard, not in diary form though as I expected, but no matter, I was fully enthralled. So enthralled I finished the book in an afternoon.

The characters stood out and all differed from one another, I won't go into detail as I dont want to spoil the book for anyone who wishes to read it. All I will say is I cant choose my favourite.

There was minimal lip biting and no trousers hanging in a certain way (a way I still havent figured out).

So if you read 50 Shades and enjoyed it read 'The Diary of a Submissive'

And if you read 50 Shades and didn't enjoy it read 'The Diary of a Submissive'

I'm not sure if "enjoy" is exactly the right word, but yes, I did feel it had definite worth. :)

So, I guess I have to read this one too! lol

I know, I know.

I've been away a while and I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read any books. Not one :(Family problems etc etc have meant that I haven't had time to do much of anything.

But now I am back and determined to read!

Chat to you all soon x

Glad things have simmered down, and are better.

Welcome back. :welcome2:

Edited by pontalba

I'm not sure if "enjoy" is exactly the right word, but yes, I did feel it had definite worth. :)

So, I guess I have to read this one too! lol

Glad things have simmered down, and are better.

Welcome back. :welcome2:

Hi Pontalba,

Diary of a Submissive is good, well I thought so anyway and yea things have simmered down and I'm glad to be back and reading again :)

Book Three

Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

69567.jpg

Blurb (as written on back of book)

Alice's adventures begin when she follows White Rabbit down a rabbit-hole and falls down, down, down. Alice is an ordinary little girl who lives an ordinary sort of life, until the day she finds herself in the most wonderful world of mad tea parties and remarkable characters like the Mad Hatter, the Duchess, the Cheshire Cat and the Mock Turtle. As everything grows 'curiouser and curiouser', Alice is delighted to find that nothing in Wonderland is the least bit ordinary.

What do I think of the main character?

Alice - Odd. I feel as though I should expand but I can't, what child dreams like that. Drugs, that, to me, is what she is dreaming of. Surely at her age she shouldn't really know much about them let alone know of the effects.

I just don't know what to write to be honest.

Who was my favourite character?

The Caterpillar - He smokes a hookah why wouldn't I like him. He is the most laid back Caterpillar I have ever read about. Plus he offered a young girl some magic mushroom, amazing.

Was the book different from what I expected?

Yes. Again I have seen two versions of the film, Disney and Tim Burton, and I have to say on this occasion I prefer the films. I felt that the book just didn't give enough detail, didn't make me believe that she was seeing what she noted she saw, maybe it's just me, maybe the fact that the films used bright colours has deterred me from the book.

Share a favourite scene/quote from the book

It has to be the caterpillar scene the vision of a caterpillar high and chatting to a little girl is brilliant.

I have to say that I enjoyed the book, though it was short, yet I do understand that there is another part 'Through the Looking Glass' (which wasn't included in my copy). But I don't know if I want to read this or not, this first part has not excited me enough to pick it up. I'll see how I go.

Book Four

Beauty and the Beast - Marie Le Prince de Beaumont

beauty-beast-jeanne-marie-le-prince-pape

Blurb

A beautiful daughter dreams of meeting a handsome prince, but in order to save her father's life, she leaves him home to go live with a terrible fightning beast. Though her patron is hideous, his disarming generosity slowly leads to a surprising connection.

As this book was, again, so short I don't think I will cover the questions like Alice in Wonderland, it will be too difficult.

I have grown up with Disney, and to this day they still remain my favourite types of films so Beauty and the Beast was watched often. I have never though read, or had read to me, the book and I must say that even though it was very short I quite enjoyed it.

It has everything a girl wants.

It has evil siblings, jealous and cruel, a doting father, riches, and of course a handsome prince.

Marie Le Prince de Beaumont has written this well and I feel covered everything needed, enough detail is given to gain a picture of what is happening yet doesn't drag out all the boring inbetween bits.

I like the fact that Beauty (Belle) wants to be a self made woman, she enjoys the fact that she can look after her father in the country and goes on to enjoy looking after the beast at the castle.

So overall I enjoyed the book, just one thing was missing ... The dancing and singing candlestick, clock and tea set :)

For some reason I can no longer concentrate on the Woman in White don't ask me why.

It is slow moving, but worth the read I thought.  It's been several years since I read it and some parts were a bit of a slog.

It is slow moving, but worth the read I thought.  It's been several years since I read it and some parts were a bit of a slog.

I'd agree - goes with the territory when reading Victorian fiction.

I'd agree - goes with the territory when reading Victorian fiction.

That's true, and I guess it depends on my mood at the time as well.  But that goes for almost any book.