Your Book Activity ~ October 2012

Kylie

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

370 pages into Fingersmith :smile:

I currently have a 20% off card-type-thing from Smiths which is valid for the next two weeks, and it's burning a hole in my pocket. Might have to buy books.

I finished Me Before You last night. So brilliant. It's amazing how a book can be so light-hearted in some parts and then so depressingly serious in others. One of the best books of this year I think.

Now I'm onto Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island. I love reading his books. I'm usually chuckling throughout the whole thing.

Finished Bring Up the Bodies .. brilliant and I can't wait for the final one. Hilary Mantel is a genius.

I really must read Wolf Hall soon.

Started The Paris Wife :smile:

I just ordered this yesterday! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. :)

I picked up a few books on sale the other day:

Jane Austen Northanger Abbey (Vintage edition)

James Baldwin Go Tell It on the Mountain

W Somerset Maugham Catalina

I really must read Wolf Hall soon.

My Mum has just put it on her Amazon wishlist and Bring Up the Bodies too .. not because I've inspired her but because she saw something about it on the telly :blush2: Honestly, I don't know why I bother :D

Apparently there were one or two problems with Wolf Hall and quite a few complaints that readers didn't always know who was being spoken of as Hilary would often just write 'he' when there were three or four of them in the scene. I didn't experience it because I heard it being read but I think she must've taken it on board .. certainly the words 'he, Cromwell' etc appear quite a lot in Bring Up the Bodies. I mention it Kylie because I know you are hot on punctuation and grammar.

It's such a fascinating time in history .. I don't think we'll ever get bored of hearing about it but she's done an amazing job bringing it to life.

Finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, What a brilliant read. I don't think I've appreciated the detail in the stories and the talent of JK Rowling until reading the last one and seeing how it all fits together. I will re-read the books for sure to see if there are any bits that could be missed until you know the full story.

I think you need a big huggle of comfort for having just finished the whole series and having no more Potter books to read :empathy: :empathy:

I finished Me Before You last night. So brilliant. It's amazing how a book can be so light-hearted in some parts and then so depressingly serious in others. One of the best books of this year I think.

I think it was you in Ruth's reading log who had similar kinds of fears of the novel...? I'm happy to hear you've already read the book and found it such an amazing read, this is reassuring :)

I currently have a 20% off card-type-thing from Smiths which is valid for the next two weeks, and it's burning a hole in my pocket. Might have to buy books.

I want book vouchers! I've never been given one. Bloody hell. Anything in particular you would like to find?

I'm currently reading a Finnish author's YA series from the 50s. One that's apparently a classic, but which I've never read before myself. I'm quite enjoying it.

I think you need a big huggle of comfort for having just finished the whole series and having no more Potter books to read :empathy: :empathy:

Thanks Frankie! :flowers2: I know they are just books, but it's too easy to get so immersed in the characters that you almost forget they are fictional. I also felt this way when Sex and the City ended. :blush2:

I think it was you in Ruth's reading log who had similar kinds of fears of the novel...? I'm happy to hear you've already read the book and found it such an amazing read, this is reassuring

Yeah, that was me. I thought it would be too girly-girly-chick-lit which doesn't particularly appeal. I have to say, it's not chick-lit at all, aside from the main character being a bit 'girly'. The story itself is just amazing, and it's so brilliantly expressed. It's quite hard to describe, as it's both very light-hearted, but also extremely serious. And it does the serious bits very well indeed, without treating any of it with less dignity than it deserves, as the subject matter is very delicate (especially in the light of some fairly recent news stories) and probably divides many people. I'd highly recommend it - it's a very moving book. :smile:

I am finally reading a book!!!!

July was the last time I posted in my reading list thread. I wish I could understand why I haven't been able to get into any books. So as not to frighten my clearly fragile reading mojo, I will keep my head down and just carry on quietly reading this one. :D

I am finally reading a book!!!!

July was the last time I posted in my reading list thread. I wish I could understand why I haven't been able to get into any books. So as not to frighten my clearly fragile reading mojo, I will keep my head down and just carry on quietly reading this one. :D

*whispers very quietly* What are you reading Chrissy?

Edited by poppy

I finished one of my current reads!

Dark World by Zak Bagans. Highly recommend to any ghost adventure (tv series) fans, and any spirit believers like myself.

*whispers back so my book doesn't hear* 'The Attenbury Emerlads' by Jill Paton Walsh (based on the characters of Dorothy L Sayers).

Oooo, must look that one up, I really enjoyed Dorothy Sayers books. I'm reading one I'm pretty sure you recommended .......Mr Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt.

Thanks Frankie! :flowers2: I know they are just books, but it's too easy to get so immersed in the characters that you almost forget they are fictional. I also felt this way when Sex and the City ended.

Oh but they are more than books, they are our friends :blush:

Do you mean Sex and the City the TV series or the book? I hope the TV series, the book was nothing in comparison.

Yeah, that was me. I thought it would be too girly-girly-chick-lit which doesn't particularly appeal. I have to say, it's not chick-lit at all, aside from the main character being a bit 'girly'. The story itself is just amazing, and it's so brilliantly expressed. It's quite hard to describe, as it's both very light-hearted, but also extremely serious. And it does the serious bits very well indeed, without treating any of it with less dignity than it deserves, as the subject matter is very delicate (especially in the light of some fairly recent news stories) and probably divides many people. I'd highly recommend it - it's a very moving book. :smile:

Well I'm really happy we happened upon Ruth's reading log at the same time and had the same concerns about the book, now I feel all the more confident it's not what I fear it might be, but rather the book I'm hoping it will be. Thanks! :D

Oooo, must look that one up, I really enjoyed Dorothy Sayers books. I'm reading one I'm pretty sure you recommended .......Mr Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt.

I cannot wait to hear your thought on this, this is supposed to be a brilliant read :smile2:

I finished my latest read last night and started reading The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. A book that I've been wanting to read for months, but which has been put aside because of other, more pressing loans from the library. Yesterday I noticed the due date is on Monday, and there are reservations, so if I want to read it before then I had to start it immediately. I got 65 pages in last night before I dosed off! I'm very much liking it so far. I would say Middlesex it is not, but I'm not expecting it to be either. But it is no Virgin Suicides either, thank goodness for that :)

'Mr Chartwell' is wonderful, and all these months later it still resonates with me. Such an unusual way to tell a story. It is so incredibly captivating and at the point of reading the central premise makes exquisiite sense. How the heck she 'sold' the story to a publisher is beyond me - I wouldn't have known where to begin! ;)

Regarding the Jill Paton Walsh book, she was commisioned to complete from Dorothy L Sayers writings the book 'Thrones, Dominations', which I really enjoyed. She then went on to write 'A Presumption Of Death' and 'The Attenbury Emeralds'. They are the continuing stories of Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet. She has done a good job of them, and I only recently heard of and bought the last book. I think I might do a Lord Peter series re read - maybe my fragile mojo is hankering after some early twentieth century class distinct detective stories. :D

My Mum has just put it on her Amazon wishlist and Bring Up the Bodies too .. not because I've inspired her but because she saw something about it on the telly :blush2: Honestly, I don't know why I bother :D

Apparently there were one or two problems with Wolf Hall and quite a few complaints that readers didn't always know who was being spoken of as Hilary would often just write 'he' when there were three or four of them in the scene. I didn't experience it because I heard it being read but I think she must've taken it on board .. certainly the words 'he, Cromwell' etc appear quite a lot in Bring Up the Bodies. I mention it Kylie because I know you are hot on punctuation and grammar.

It's such a fascinating time in history .. I don't think we'll ever get bored of hearing about it but she's done an amazing job bringing it to life.

Ooh, that would definitely be annoying. Thanks for warning me about it! Wolf Hall is one of those books that intimidates me for some reason. Should I be intimidated? Is it a difficult read?

I finished my latest read last night and started reading The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. A book that I've been wanting to read for months, but which has been put aside because of other, more pressing loans from the library. Yesterday I noticed the due date is on Monday, and there are reservations, so if I want to read it before then I had to start it immediately. I got 65 pages in last night before I dosed off! I'm very much liking it so far.

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I finished a book today for the first time in perhaps months. It wasn't a particularly great book (Shite's Original Miscellany or something). I want to have a day or two off work, so I'll get back into reading A Casual Vacancy and hopefully make some progress.

Actually managed to finish a book today! It's been at least a week since I've done that ;) Anyway, I finished Henry Tilney's Diary this morning, then came here and found out on another thread that there was an Autumn sale in the Kindle store, so I've bought the books that were on my wishlist, that were reduced in price, plus I found a new book by one of my favourite authors, so I've bought the following today:

Agatha Raisin: Hiss and Hers by M. C. Beaton

Sightlines by Kathleen Jamie

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Seeking Crystal by Joss Stirling

The Pedant In The Kitchen by Julian Barnes

Do you mean Sex and the City the TV series or the book? I hope the TV series, the book was nothing in comparison.

Now there's several hours of wasted reading I"ll never get back :roll:

Finished When She Woke....no idea what I'll start next

Yeah, the series. I've never read the book, and from Sofia's comments I'm guessing it's not worth it at all.

Well I'm really happy we happened upon Ruth's reading log at the same time and had the same concerns about the book, now I feel all the more confident it's not what I fear it might be, but rather the book I'm hoping it will be. Thanks! :D

You're welcome. I do hope you read it, Frankie, it's a very moving book. :smile: