Your Book Activity ~ October 2012

Kylie

How are you liking Perfume? I really loved it when I read it :)

Its going good so far, I like it. Though now and then I feel it can drag out sometimes.

i haven't bought a book for a month or two now :o

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i finished 'A Necessary End' by Peter Robinson and because i could not wait for the first book from the 'Dexter' series to arrive through the door, i had to start a book that my mum had just finished reading. It's called 'Play Dead' by Richard Montanari. Only a few pages in so far but seems very gory and should be a good read :)

I bought a load of books during my short trip into London. Ive stuck a short review of the stores I visited and a list of my finds in my Reading List topic so anyone interested will find details in there. I won't post again here, I dont like double posting.

Just under halfway through Black Hearts by Jim Frederick, its a great but really harrowing read so far.

Dammit! :lol: Okay, I found it on Amazon :giggle2:

Yes, it's Karen Maitland. I liked Company of Liars a lot, but I think this one is better all round - providing it has a good ending :smile:

Funny you mention the ending....the ending of Company of Liars is the thing that annoyed me. I liked the rest just fine.

almost halfway through The Slap now

was going to ask, but saw above post. :)

I'll be interested to see what you think of it.

Finished Paranormalcy for the October reading circle, it was a decent read but not brilliant for me, think it may be more appropriate for my daughter in a year or two... About to start Ordinary Dogs - A Story of Two Lives, by Eileen Battersby. :)

I know! It's been so long since I've reviewed a book - the pressure is too much! (Wow, if I get this way about a review, I can only imagine how poor Rowling felt when she published the last few HP novels!)

Oh, don't fret it :) We are just curious if you liked it or not, that's the main thing. Although if you have more to say than just that, we'd appreciate it, too :D

I agree! It has been way too long. Good luck!

I think your good luck wishes worked, I got some great titles, as you already know! :)

I went to the library across the road and borrowed the following books (In Spanish):

'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'- Roald Dahl

I hope you like the novel! :) Have you seen the movie? I would recommend it, too.

Not too bad....it's not exactly going in the direction I expected, but that could end up being a good thing...have you read it?

I haven't read it yet, but I do have a copy. I have quite high expectations for it, actually. I guess it's good that the book's taken an unexpected turn, I hope you enjoy it through and through! :)

Its going good so far, I like it. Though now and then I feel it can drag out sometimes.

Too bad you feel like it's dragging every now and then, but I'm happy to hear you like it overall :) The movie's great, too, I would recommend watching it after you've finished the novel.

i haven't bought a book for a month or two now

I think somebody has a book buying trip pending... :giggle:

So i finished 'A Necessary End' by Peter Robinson and because i could not wait for the first book from the 'Dexter' series to arrive through the door, i had to start a book that my mum had just finished reading. It's called 'Play Dead' by Richard Montanari. Only a few pages in so far but seems very gory and should be a good read

I hope you get the Dexter book as soon as possible, I know how it is when you're waiting for something you've been so eagerly waiting to arrive!

There are a few Montanari fans on here, there might be a thread on his books, too. I've heard he writes pretty gory stuff!

Finished Paranormalcy for the October reading circle, it was a decent read but not brilliant for me, think it may be more appropriate for my daughter in a year or two... About to start Ordinary Dogs - A Story of Two Lives, by Eileen Battersby.

Ordinary Dogs... I can't remember the specifics about this book but I recall having added it to my wishlist, based on the animal books thread. Will be looking forward to your thoughts on it! :)

I finished Sininen hatturasia last night and started reading Monster by Micael Dahlén. Pretty good so far! Next chapter goes into the story of Issei Sagawa.

I'm about halfway through Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I do like these books. :smile:

Is this your first time round the Potter books? If so, I'm jealous! You have some great stories and twists ahead of you :)Half-Blood Prince is my favorite in the series.

Is this your first time round the Potter books? If so, I'm jealous! You have some great stories and twists ahead of you :)Half-Blood Prince is my favorite in the series.

Yeah, I've been reading them over the last year or so and taking my time with them. I've made sure to not read any spoilers or even watch the movies unless I've read the book, so it's all new to me. :readingtwo:

Had a ticket to an Evening with Bernard Cornwell on Thursday, got all the way to Picadilly after work (from Cambridge) and found out he had cancelled at the last minute! Very disappointed. Hopefully he will reschedule soon.

I did manage to finish The Shining on the train though, classis King, brilliant and scary.

Now started The Long, Dark tea time of the Soul by Douglas Adams.

Also joined the Cambridge library today which i'm sure I will be frequenting often. Also bought a few books from the market and Fopp:

George Orwell - Animal farm

George Orwell - Down and Out in Paris and London

JG Ballard - Empire of the Sun

Steven Pressfield - Last of the Amazons

Sebastian Faulks - On Green Dolphin Street

David Eddings - The Rivan Codex

Edited by Timstar

Yeah, I've been reading them over the last year or so and taking my time with them. I've made sure to not read any spoilers or even watch the movies unless I've read the book, so it's all new to me. :readingtwo:

So, so jealous! :D I applaud your having been able to avoid any spoilers, as HP is such a universal, hyped phenomenon!

Now started The Long, Dark tea time of the Soul by Douglas Adams.

I don't remember much about the book but I really enjoyed reading it, I hope you like it :)

Also joined the Cambridge library today which i'm sure I will be frequenting often.

Wohoo for joining a new library, saves a bit of money when you can borrow a book and don't always have to resort to buying.

Great haul :smile2:

I don't remember much about the book but I really enjoyed reading it, I hope you like it :)

Thanks, it is good so far, bit strange but that is to be expected with Adams. Very funny as well :D

Libraries are great! Will be spending a lot of time in the Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Horror section :readingtwo:

I hope you like the novel! :) Have you seen the movie? I would recommend it, too.

The Gene Wilder version of the film version of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' is one of my all time favourite films and the book was my favourite as a child, that's partly why I picked this when I saw it in the library. I've read about 100 pages of this now!

Just started on Lolita by Nabokov.

Same here, I managed to get in 100 pages yesterday at work and im loving it, hope you are enjoying it as well.

Also joined the Cambridge library today which i'm sure I will be frequenting often. Also bought a few books from the market and Fopp:

Some great books there, I especially love Animal Farm. I look forward to reading your thought on Down & Out in Paris & London, I'm yet to read it but I have heard good things about it.

I'm reading a few books but the one that's standing out is Tom-All-Alone's - a re-telling of Bleak House. I loved Bleak House .. and I'm not keen on re-tellings/sequels/prequels etc .. too often you just wish they'd left well alone but so far this is brilliant .. and perfect reading for this time of year too.

... that is to say in Blighty .. I forgot that some of my book forum loved ones are in the Southern hemisphere :friends0:

Edited by poppyshake

Thanks, it is good so far, bit strange but that is to be expected with Adams. Very funny as well

Libraries are great! Will be spending a lot of time in the Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Horror section

Yeah, I do recall the book being funny! You probably know there's a sequel to the story, do you have a copy of that?

I hope you don't live in the same neighborhood with vodkafan or Karsa Orlong, as I'm sure they've cleared off all the books in those sections for themselves :giggle:

The Gene Wilder version of the film version of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' is one of my all time favourite films and the book was my favourite as a child, that's partly why I picked this when I saw it in the library. I've read about 100 pages of this now!

Oh dear! :D I did know which book you were talking about and I did love it, but for some reason when I started talking about the movie, I was thinking Matilda by Dahl :D I've never seen CatCF as a movie, although I would like to watch the Gene Wilder one. The Johnny Depp one I tried to watch some time ago but I didn't like it at all.

I'm reading a few books but the one that's standing out is Tom-All-Alone's - a re-telling of Bleak House. I loved Bleak House .. and I'm not keen on re-tellings/sequels/prequels etc .. too often you just wish they'd left well alone but so far this is brilliant .. and perfect reading for this time of year too.

I'm getting T-A-A from Kell this week, as a review book, I'm so looking forward to it! I think it was willoyd's review some time ago that made me add it to my wishlist, and I think he suggested one should read Bleak House first. Would you second that opinion? Because I haven't read BH yet, and I'm wondering if I should get a copy of it asap!

Finished Ordinary Dogs by Eileen Battersby today, if you like/love dogs you must read this one! Not sure what to read next, off to consult my TBR shelf!

frankie needs to know about this one :)

Awww, thanks for looking out for me poppyshake! :hug: I did know of the book, but I needed a reminder.

Oh, she does, but I'll be sure to keep reminding her!! :P

:D Thanks! Coincidentally I just read your review on it on GR and posted a comment :smile2:

Nearly finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Things are certainly happening at a fast pace.

Snape has just killed Dumbledore!!!

It was pretty damn unexpected, wasn't it?! :(

I'm still reading Monster by Micael Dahlén. I've read through Issei Sagawa's, Peter Lundin's and Dorothea Puente's story and am in the middle of Wayne Lo (after that it will be Charles Manson). Pretty darn interesting (and horrid) stuff!

I think I'm also off to a flea market today, the one that I was going to last Saturday but which was unfortunately closed.