What's Up In October?

Kell

Lots and lots of good luck wishes and vibes are being sent your way, Wordsgood. :friends3:

Have fun next Wednesday, Noll!! Sounds like a blast. I'll be going to a show that night to see a little band from NYC, but I've already said no to a costume and am limiting myself to 2 drinks since I have to work bright and early the next morning, boo! :lol:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I think a lot of companies are using "the state of the economy" as an excuse not to give pay rises at the moment.

To compound my lack of a rise in the last few years, my TV packed up last night and I'm guessing it's going to cost £200-400 for a suitable replacement.

Ouch.

I have just spent almost £400 on new glasses which was pretty painful too. I like though the idea of a petition for that pay rise. :D

As for not rewarding those that count - only too true, and yes, I do know that there are many others in same boat .... However, when the Director comes in his big, flash car and continually spends money on pictures, mirrors and chairs etc, none of which are cheap or really needed, then I somehow doubt that he really does not have the money to pay us more. But, given his background, I suppose it is par for the course. The times though are a changin' and people from his background have to start accepting that their gravy train is well and truly over - imho. I don't hate him, even though it sometimes sounds like that, for he is at the end of the day, a man in great pain who does not understand why his way of doing business is no longer working - he knows that he needs to change but does not yet know how or if he really wants to. He needs compassion rather than anger, and that, hard as it sometimes is, is what I try to remember and send his way. It is also true of course that those who don't ask don't get !

Edited by Talisman

Thanks Peacefield. I do know everyone is sending me lots of well wishes and vibes and I can honestly say it is helping me to cope. I really do appreciate all the support and know I am not alone.

Talisman, you've lost me. If this is a nursing facility/seniors home, how can the Director make decisions himself about decorating and how much staff get paid? Doesn't he have to report to a board of some kind and account for the funds? Even if it's a privately funded facility, I would think there would still have to be some kind of accountability structure in place, even if it's only to ensure no flagrant abuse of the residents is happening. I know things are run differently from where I'm at, but we do share basically the same form of government.

Raven, sorry to hear about your TV. We have a older model big screen that was a "gift" from someone we knew, unfortunately we soon found out it was more a case of giving to us was cheaper than taking it to the dump. You literally have to punch the sides to make it work and even then it you can't guarantee it will work properly, or stay working if it does. We'll eventually get it replaced, but it won't be a pricey big screen. Just going for about a 20 inch with a sturdy build. Damn thing came with a few other "freebies" he accepted without talking to me first. A rather annoying habit I've been trying to break for years!

I'll be working on Halloween night, but I'm totally looking forward to it. I'm gonna Goth up and wear my fangs to work. :)

So . . . A normal night then?

Raven, sorry to hear about your TV. We have a older model big screen that was a "gift" from someone we knew, unfortunately we soon found out it was more a case of giving to us was cheaper than taking it to the dump. You literally have to punch the sides to make it work and even then it you can't guarantee it will work properly, or stay working if it does. We'll eventually get it replaced, but it won't be a pricey big screen. Just going for about a 20 inch with a sturdy build. Damn thing came with a few other "freebies" he accepted without talking to me first. A rather annoying habit I've been trying to break for years!

My TV was a donated as well, but it has worked fine for the last six or seven years so I probably shouldn't complain too much.

And it will be good to be able to watch one thing and record another again (the digital switch-over rather crippled my viewing ability!).

Talisman, you've lost me. If this is a nursing facility/seniors home, how can the Director make decisions himself about decorating and how much staff get paid? Doesn't he have to report to a board of some kind and account for the funds? Even if it's a privately funded facility, I would think there would still have to be some kind of accountability structure in place, even if it's only to ensure no flagrant abuse of the residents is happening. I know things are run differently from where I'm at, but we do share basically the same form of government.

He is the board - that is what being a Director of a nursing home is - it basically means that he owns it. As such then he can make any decision that he likes, on how the money is spent. As for reporting abuse against the residents - that is what the CQC is for (although as Director he is ultimately responsible for that too, as he is the one who would be held accountable, together with the Manager).

I have collected my new glasses today - this is my first pair of varifocals, which makes me feel quite old ! They seem okay, although it's a bit strange looking down, especially on stairs. I have to keep remembering to look through the right bit ! I am sure though I will get used to them within a few days. I bloody hope so anyway, as between them the 2 pairs cost almost £400 - I am going to need that pay rise then !

Talisman: Privately owned then. That makes more sense now. Though I am having a bit of trouble understanding how folks can get away running them. Personally speaking, I would not want to trust one of my loved ones to a privately owned facility. Still wish you lots of luck with a raise though. Have got my pen out and ready for that petition!

Raven: Don't get me wrong, freebies can be great and I've had many such items over the years that have worked out just fine. Most of our house is furnished with 2nd hand stuff, both free and purchased. But I also don't like being used as a dumping ground and I wish I could curb hubby's collecting habit a bit more than I have. Free doesn't always equal good, or free for that matter. But you're right, you have gotten several years out of your TV so you did get a great deal there. Still frustrating when you have to replace it though isn't it? And right before the holiday season too, that really sucks.

Laura: He he. You sound like you're about to open a big shiny present too!

Talisman: Privately owned then. That makes more sense now. Though I am having a bit of trouble understanding how folks can get away running them. Personally speaking, I would not want to trust one of my loved ones to a privately owned facility. Still wish you lots of luck with a raise though. Have got my pen out and ready for that petition!

Ownership (whether private or not) when choosing a home doesn't in all honesty play that big a role, since they are all subject to the same regulations and control regardless. The only difference is that the privately owned homes like mine are less likely to take social services, which means that you have to be self funding. Most of our residents have either sold their homes or have very rich families.

Personally if I was looking for a home for someone I loved, I would look first and foremost at the quality of care, but also the standard of cleanliness, the food and the activities. The home I work in is fortunately a very good one - one of the few 3 star homes in fact in the area. Most of the staff have been here a long time (long before this chap bought the home about 4 years ago - the previous owners retired) and we have a long waiitng list for rooms because of our reputation. Many of the local GP's recommend us - at least one put his own mother here. Sadly, the only real problem seems to be the Director, a fact which hasn't gone unnoticed by our Manager ! She does her best to fight our corner, but sadly she is not the one who signs the cheques and makes the final decisions, she can only make suggestions and recommendations.

Edited by Talisman

Raven: Don't get me wrong, freebies can be great and I've had many such items over the years that have worked out just fine. Most of our house is furnished with 2nd hand stuff, both free and purchased. But I also don't like being used as a dumping ground and I wish I could curb hubby's collecting habit a bit more than I have. Free doesn't always equal good, or free for that matter. But you're right, you have gotten several years out of your TV so you did get a great deal there. Still frustrating when you have to replace it though isn't it? And right before the holiday season too, that really sucks.

Someone at work has offered me another freebe, but it is a CRT job like my current one with no Freeview built in etc. I could live with that, but part of me is thinking I should just bite the bullet and get something new.

Busy and exciting day today - Xan went to his first ever pre-school gymnastics class today! It was a taster session as they were new trainee instructors sitting their final assessments, but they're hoping to get some regular pre-school gymnastics classes up and running again very soon. Xan loved it so much we stayed for the second session - they didn't have as many kids as they'd like for the class, so we were all invited to stay on if we wanted and Xan was SO excited about it he actually jumped up, clapped his hands, and cried out, "Yay! Yes, please!".

Then I carved a Halloween pumpkin for the first time ever. It's just a simple design, but I'm very proud of how it turned out. Xan told me what he wanted, I drew it, he said it was wrong, Ire-drew it, he approved the design (with a few more minor changes), and I got carving! He's incredibly happy with it (thankfully!), and because we purposely chose an eating pumpkin (rather than one of the big, tasteless pumpkins they churn out specifically for carving at this time of year), I was able to make some delicious spicy pumpkin soup for dinner tonight. :)

post-3572-0-13365300-1351463245_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-04790000-1351463265_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-77805200-1351463285_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-01779500-1351463297_thumb.jpg