Back Story by David Mitchell

frankie

I reckon that's just the blurb from the back of the book - it's exactly the same on Amazon - and, being about a comedian, there's probably a whole heap of irony involved :lol:

Ah probably I am not getting enough irony in my diet and missed it :smile:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I adore Olivia Colman, I think she's splendid in Peep Show, and she's so beautiful and so British... I bet she was always rather miffed that she was having to kiss the camera instead of David, though!

I can't believe she lost her cool during a play and wet herself :D That's too funny! But I can see how it can escalate from there when the audience is really hating it and can see nothing funny in it, you'll just start laughing harder!

The anecdote is in the book, I laughed so much I nearly wet myself.

I love it when celebrities of David's calibur (a refined, intellectual man who has a way with words) aren't afraid to tell wee jokes. Shows they are not taking themselves too seriously and being hoity-toity. Oh man, I would have a great wee story for David... but now it shall forever remain a secret.

All his favourite stories were wee stories so I'm sure he'd love to hear yours.

I reckon that's just the blurb from the back of the book - it's exactly the same on Amazon - and, being about a comedian, there's probably a whole heap of irony involved :lol:

Yes David has written it .. it's from the blurb :D

The anecdote is in the book, I laughed so much I nearly wet myself.

Good times ahead :D

All his favourite stories were wee stories so I'm sure he'd love to hear yours.

But now he doesn't know I have any! Although I think he would appreciate his first OFFICIAL Finnish fan more if I were to tell him a good one :giggle:

Yes David has written it .. it's from the blurb :D

That would've actually been my guess :D

I noticed today that I have a package waiting for me at the post office! Which I will be collecting tomorrow. Oh I wonder, could it be here already... :wub::giggle:

I noticed today that I have a package waiting for me at the post office! Which I will be collecting tomorrow. Oh I wonder, could it be here already... :wub::giggle:

Oh, it was! :D Thanks dear poppyshake! :flowers2: I was sitting down when I was opening the package, and I started looking through the book, I loved the pics and stuff on the back of the front cover and the back cover. And the novel was hilarious :D I haven't watched much of That Mitchell and Webb Look because quite honestly, I never got the jokes on that and I've never found it funny, but from what little I've seen the novel reads like something that could be on the show.

I of course had to look at the pictures... David was really gorgeous even when growing up! :o And you should now officially ban me from coming to the UK some day, as I've found he has a younger brother, who's about my age and rather handsome :blush:

Oh this book is going to bring me so much joy in the years to come! It's definitely one of my the most treasured ones now.

Oh, it was! :D Thanks dear poppyshake! :flowers2: I was sitting down when I was opening the package, and I started looking through the book, I loved the pics and stuff on the back of the front cover and the back cover. And the novel was hilarious :D I haven't watched much of That Mitchell and Webb Look because quite honestly, I never got the jokes on that and I've never found it funny, but from what little I've seen the novel reads like something that could be on the show.

You're welcome frankie :) The novel is very funny and I liked the little map pic on the inside of the cover .. showing you where he was walking to and from. Also loved all the photo's .. especially of David in fancy dress .. probably my favourite being the one of him in the superman outfit with a caption underneath about him knowing .. even at that age .. that it was humiliatingly baggy :D

I of course had to look at the pictures... David was really gorgeous even when growing up! :o And you should now officially ban me from coming to the UK some day, as I've found he has a younger brother, who's about my age and rather handsome :blush:

Yes .. his brother is the spitting image of him only much younger .. perfect! :D when are you coming? :D

Oh this book is going to bring me so much joy in the years to come! It's definitely one of my the most treasured ones now.

Oh I'm glad and I really hope you enjoy it :friends0:

• 1 month later...

Yes .. his brother is the spitting image of him only much younger .. perfect! :D when are you coming? :D

:D I'm buying plain tickets as we speak!

Oh I'm glad and I really hope you enjoy it :friends0:

I've still not had a chance to read more than the introduction, but it was just as funny as I expected and even more. I know Kylie likes Lynne Truss and I posted a quote to her of the book and I thought I'd copy+paste it on here as well, because it's so funny:

"The other major lifestyle change I adopted was walking. That was the only thing about which there appeared to be any consensus among the people offering me advice: that walking, even if it hurt, always helped. Resting, oddly, did not. Resting oddly certainly didn't. (Take that, Lynne Truss!)"

:lol:

This book is on the UK Kindle Daily Deal today (1st Jan 2013) for just £2.99, so think I might get it.

I think you did! :D Hurraaaaah! Hm maybe I should post this in the Kindle cheap deals thread and get more people interested.

Edit: Oh and just realised that it was only for that certain day. Hum bugs!

• 4 months later...

:lol::blush: :blush: :blush::giggle:

Oh isn't he clever :wub: Well I have two friends who've actually read the book (you and Kay!) and who've recommended it, so I'm not being just a fan, but I'm reading it because the book's supposed to be good :giggle2:

I wonder why he didn't mention he apparently had a fan in Finland, though... :o

And I wonder if his younger brother is available. Oh I'm bad!

Edit: Yes, I confess, I still haven't read it!! It's not because I haven't wanted to, though. I've been savouring it. Why, I have no idea, because the world could end tomorrow, no, tonight even, and then I'd be sorry!!! I must read it in the next few months :yes:

Edit: I can't remember if Janet's already read the book...?

Edited by frankie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

London based fans and those who are able to get there by Thursday:

From the Facebook Feed of David Mitchell:

"David Mitchell will be talking Back Story at Meet The Author at the Apple Store Regent Street on Thursday 4th July at 7pm. Click here to register your place for free: http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/regentstreet/ "

Edited by frankie

How far away are you from London? I mean how long would it take to get there by train, for example, or by car? I'm very curious about the British distances, because I have no idea how big the UK is, actually. Like, what's the distance between the most northern spot of the island, and the most southern spot.

From the top of the UK to the bottom is just under 650 miles (1,046 km). I personally find that our transport system is ok if you want to travel north and south but going across the country east/west is a pain because the road layout is pretty haphazard. Cirencester to London would probably take about 2 and half hours to drive but driving into London is not a good idea. It gets so full of traffic it takes forever to get anywhere, especially during rush hour times.

Edited by Brian.

Yes it wouldn't take me long but would definitely involve trains and the tube (as Brian says driving into London is a pain and don't even mention the parking) and I'm freaked with them at the moment (having had horrible experiences both here and in Paris recently). I'm very British in that I think anything that involves travelling for more than an hour is exhausting :blush2: It takes two and a bit hours to get to the Sussex coastline to see my mum and dad and you would think I'd been travelling all day the way I flop out and call for tea when I get there :D I'm freaked with cities too and just want to stare at cows for the time being :D David did come to Bath .. which though a city is a nice refined sort of city, and I suppose it's too much to hope that he might come even nearer .. unless he wants to do some cow watching .. in which case he couldn't do better than to visit Cirencester (well .. that's not true .. they have far superior cows in the Yorkshire dales and the Lake District now I come to think of it).

And to think .. I accused Daniel Defoe of rambling :D

• 4 weeks later...

From the top of the UK to the bottom is just under 650 miles (1,046 km). I personally find that our transport system is ok if you want to travel north and south but going across the country east/west is a pain because the road layout is pretty haphazard. Cirencester to London would probably take about 2 and half hours to drive but driving into London is not a good idea. It gets so full of traffic it takes forever to get anywhere, especially during rush hour times.

Bloody hell. How is it possible that UK is such a 'tall' country, coming up to 1,046 kilometers from south to north. I mean on the map it looks so much smaller than Finland, and yet our distances are also more than a thousand. What am I missing... ! Puzzled. Should take another look at a map :D

Yes it wouldn't take me long but would definitely involve trains and the tube (as Brian says driving into London is a pain and don't even mention the parking) and I'm freaked with them at the moment (having had horrible experiences both here and in Paris recently). I'm very British in that I think anything that involves travelling for more than an hour is exhausting :blush2:

:lol: Dear me! If I want to go anywhere proper, that is, to a bigger city or somewhere I'm from or something like that, it's bound to be at least an hour's drive away... It takes me two hours by train to get to my hometown. So much like your situation, are we sure we weren't separated at birth? :D

It takes two and a bit hours to get to the Sussex coastline to see my mum and dad and you would think I'd been travelling all day the way I flop out and call for tea when I get there :D I'm freaked with cities too and just want to stare at cows for the time being :D David did come to Bath .. which though a city is a nice refined sort of city, and I suppose it's too much to hope that he might come even nearer .. unless he wants to do some cow watching .. in which case he couldn't do better than to visit Cirencester (well .. that's not true .. they have far superior cows in the Yorkshire dales and the Lake District now I come to think of it).

I quite like cows... They seem to have it all figured out. Lazying about, being useful sometimes, and eating :giggle2: They are very adorable, too!

I've been thinking about flying over to the UK some day... I already proposed to my friend who lives in Lahti, that if I really move there, she and I should go on a holiday together, and fly over to UK! She was all in, but now she's been knocked up (:D) ever since and I imagine there's no way in hell she and I will be going anywhere just the two of us, in a long, long time... :rolleyes::lol:

I've been watching episodes of Peep Show lately, mind you! It's been great fun :lol: I just love Mark's way of seeing the world and situations. Great onliners, great dialogue, great cynicism! :smile2:

I've made a very, very disturbing discovery :lol::hide:

Mark Corrigan in Peep Show (played by David Mitchell, as we all know) has a dressing gown that has the same kinds of stripes with the same colors, as my Dad used to have when I was a kid, in his sauna robes. Very, very disturbing :lol:

• 2 months later...