What's up in September?

Maureen

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is wonderful Chrissy! I can imagine how excited you both are! I'm so happy for you.

Pickle, gorgeous cake, bet it tasted as good as it looks. :D

Moving is never fun Tim, good luck with everything.

Our favorite hotel down in N.O., the Hotel Monteleone has had a summer special on, and we've taken advantage of it several times this summer. What a great hotel. Fantastic literary history, beautiful accomodations and great food. yum. We went for what is probably the last time this summer last week. /sigh/ Only stayed over one night this time.

Good luck Timstar - with both the job and the move.

I have finished work now for the next 8 days, and can't say I am sorry. Our Kitchen Assistant broke his foot a few weeks ago, so everyone has been doing overtime to try and cover his job as well as our own and not surprisingly, I am knackered !

Looking forward to the Tour of Britain tomorrow though, and seeing a few more of those lycra clad bikers :D

Great news Timstar! I will be thinking of you both on Tuesday and Wednesday sending you happy moving and starting job vibes! :smile:

Brother arrived safely yesterday, and today we had a lovely lunch in the garden with Mum and Dad. We have just got home, having enjoyed a quiet and quick drink in a lovely local pub on the way back. Will probably watch a movie later (talking our way through it) and enjoy a pizza. It's just so very lovely having him around and spending some quality time with my big bro. :D

Looking forward to the Tour of Britain later on today - the riders will be making their way through Dorking around 12.30pm, and while I don't expect it to be as busy as the Olympics, it will be busy, so Coran and I will be leaving by around 10.30 to find our spot by the roundabout and maybe go and talk to the Dorking Ad (if they are there). Go Cav ! Go Wiggo (where can I get some ginger sideburns at short notice) !

Edited by Talisman

Had yet another rather traumatic haircut experience with Xander this afternoon, but at least it's now done and he looks very neat and tidy. He had a #3 all over and he looks so much older with his hair so short - he's never had clippers used on him before!

Ah well, at least it won't need to be done again for a very long time. I'm now all for letting him just grow it till he gets so sick of it that he decides it's more hassle looking after it and letting it get in his face than it would be to sit nicely and have it cut without fussing... our lad really does HATE getting it done!

post-3572-0-61459700-1347835854_thumb.jpg

.......... I'm now all for letting him just grow it till he gets so sick of it that he decides it's more hassle looking after it and letting it get in his face than it would be to sit nicely and have it cut without fussing... our lad really does HATE getting it done!

post-3572-0-61459700-1347835854_thumb.jpg

Handsome fella!

You have the right idea, getting him to finally ask for a haircut. /fingers crossed/ :)

Monday morning again, where DOES the weekend go?!

Still doing student orientations at work, so got another couple of those this afternoon. Tomorrow though I'm going on half day training to become a qualified ECDL supervisor. Apparently the training is quite straightforward, and I get to take the rest of the day off work, so that's cool. "Rest of the day" will amount to about 2 extra hours, but every little helps!

We were away on holiday last week, so got on the scales for the first time this morning in about 10 days, and have actually lost weight! I think it's because I'm more active on holiday instead of tied to a desk, and although I didn't diet as such, I tried not to go overboard with the indulgences, although we did have a few portions of chips, well, we were on holiday after all!

Back home this week, and I've been to the hairdressers today and had some lowlights put in my hair. I have a darkish brown hair, and I've had some red put in - good opportunity to get some reading in while waiting for the dye to take effect. :giggle2:

My old jacket isn't waterproof any more and I've had it for years and have been in need of a new one for ages. I usually struggle because although I'm only average height, I have long arms and legs, and it's tricky to find womens clothes where the arms are long enough (they usually stop short of my wrists :irked:), but luckily managed to find a nice jacket today which will hopefully keep out the wind and rain, until the cold of winter when I'll switch to my proper cold weather coat. That should hopefully be all I need until next spring now, thank goodness, as I detest clothes shopping. :)

Edited by chesilbeach

Great news Timstar! I will be thinking of you both on Tuesday and Wednesday sending you happy moving and starting job vibes! :smile:

Brother arrived safely yesterday, and today we had a lovely lunch in the garden with Mum and Dad. We have just got home, having enjoyed a quiet and quick drink in a lovely local pub on the way back. Will probably watch a movie later (talking our way through it) and enjoy a pizza. It's just so very lovely having him around and spending some quality time with my big bro. :D

Have fun chrissy. It is great that you are able to visit with you brother, especially after 16 years, wow, that is a long time.

Sounds wonderful, Chrissy, meeting after 16 years - it must be so exciting!

In my news, I'm getting ready to take a month-long holiday at mum's in the city - looking forward to meeting old friends, gawking at new shops (staying in the rural sections - makes the occasional city trips so exciting), and visiting my favourite (used)book-store.

And NO cooking. :D

Does anyone here use AVG Antivirus, paid or free version? If so, I STRONGLY suggested you switch to something else and fast! They used to be a great company, but not anymore.

I purchased a year's subscription in March of 2012 after having to get my computer repaired because the free AVG had let some viruses through. My thinking was that they had downgraded the free version services without telling the users, which is perfectly legal (unfortunately), so I think okay maybe if I get a paid version for $60.00 it will keep me safe again.

But then, a couple of months ago another virus go through and their so-called help was nothing more than two days total frustration trying to get around language barriers, explain the same thing over and over again with their live chat while getting shuffled from one person to next. I finally get to speak a manager on the phone and run into another language barrier but after a long frustrating call, I finally understand that they are willing to help me if I'm willing to fork out between $129.00 (US and before tax) and maybe up to several hundred depending how hard it was to fix. NOT! :banghead: Gave up and went to my own in-town computer guy who fixed it for a $110.00 (including tax) and said he too, no longer recommends AVG, free or paid. Fine, but maybe it was just another fluke. I was less than 4 months into my paid membership so foolishly did not switch then and there.

But it happened all over again a week ago! :hissyfit: I've been all over the internet looking for help as I really couldn't afford to pay for another repair. I follow AVG site advice to unistall and reinstall. Did that three times and it still wouldn't locate or fix the problem. I tried all kinds of fixes from free so-called experts "giving back" by providing their "valuable" tips, and the only thing that happened was my computer getting more and more unstable. On Sunday I had it with AVG after locating what appeared to be a users helping users forum and after not one, not two, but three utterly useless replies and one that was downright rude, I find out the guy WORKS for AVG! So I trashed my anti-virus, but kept the PC Analyzer, which I also purchased in March, and went hunting for a better program. That was truly frustrating given that I am not tech oriented every single site where I reviewed consumer reviews of the top 10 anti-virus programs currently out there, every single one had a mixed bag where some hated them and other's loved them. I couldn't narrow down the most popular ones based on so many varying opinions so went with what a lot of the computer sites recommend. I know have a lifetime license for Bitfender Security, which is much more than just an anti-virus program. The fine print on this "lifetime license" is no longer than the life of your computer or 5 years, whichever comes first. It cost me not quite $82.00 but for that much coverage, I think it's fair. However, it was not able to repair my current problems so I ended up having to take it back to my computer tech for another $117.00 fix, where he found not one, but TWO viruses thoroughly entrenched throughout my whole system! :banghead: However, he did say that buying Bitfender, especially the package I bought, was a really good call because they are the best on the market.

So in the last six months I've put out over $600 dollars in computer repairs and safety software. Does someone out there think I actually have money to waste? 'Cause I sure as :censored: h**l don't!

Sorry for the long b****h fest, but I really needed to get that off my chest!

wordsgood, that sounds awful.

I did have AVG for a long time - and sometime last year switched to avast - the free version. It's been working very well for me.

Additionally I periodically run CCleaner (also a free program) - and it keeps my PC virus-free.

I work with computers - and if you need any help in removing the virus from your system - please feel free to message me - I'd be happy to help out, if I can.

(I know its frustrating for non-tech people to break their heads on software, patches, bugs and ending up paying for what isn't really the best option - my mum and sister are often duped by the neighbourhood PC-repair guy.)

For the last few months, I've been looking at the new library across the road and been tempted to join. The only thing that's put me off is that it's a Spanish library and although my Spanish is pretty good, I wondered if I would be able to read books in it.

However this morning, I built up the courage to go inside and I'm half way to joining. It looks really modern and there are a lot of DVDs to borrow as well as books. I just have to wait until Tuesday to pick up my library card and then I can borrow books! :smile:

We are an Apple family, 2 laptops, 2 iPhones, 3 iPods.. I still have the iPhone 3GS but am due an upgrade early 2013, can't decide yet whether to go for the new iPhone or try something different...

Was it the new iPhone you bought Muggle?

"Blush"........... I have been buying stock in Apple.

I would never buy an Ipad - but don't judge those that do - quite apart from the fact that I have no need for one, I have read too many stories about how they are made in what amounts to little more than Chinese sweatshops. But as I say, each to their own. As for AVG, we have used them for years with no problems at all.

Today though I have just returned from 5 lovely days in the small town of Westward Ho in North Devon. There is not much in the town itself apart from the beach, but that alone is reason enough, as it one of the most spectacular in that part of Devon - you can walk all the way to the Tor Estuary at low tide exploring the famous Pebble Ridge and Northam Burrows. It is also a great place to use as a base for exploring the wider area - I had a lovely day at Saunton Sands on the other side of the estuary, and also at Clovelly, plus I went for a day trip to Lundy (for the first time after 32 staying visits - a strange experience for me). The best day though (yesterday) was spent walking from Hartland Quay to Hartland Point - a bit hilly in places, but exhilerating in the sun and the wind, with some of the most spectacular scenery I have seen.

Oh well, back to work tomorrow. :mad:

I would never buy an Ipad - but don't judge those that do - quite apart from the fact that I have no need for one, I have read too many stories about how they are made in what amounts to little more than Chinese sweatshops. But as I say, each to their own. As for AVG, we have used them for years with no problems at all.

talisman - that is a pretty condemning statement. start a topic in the Debating Forum and I will be happy to discuss the "facts' with you.

Of course not everyone uses or has a need for an ipad, however, it is the most dominant tablet in use worldwide and has sold 84 million. So there are a few people that do have use for it. :)

We are an Apple family, 2 laptops, 2 iPhones, 3 iPods.. I still have the iPhone 3GS but am due an upgrade early 2013, can't decide yet whether to go for the new iPhone or try something different...

Was it the new iPhone you bought Muggle?

chaliepud - I am considering an i5 phone. Hopefully sometime soon.

Edited by muggle not