Your Book Activity ~ August 2012

Kylie

I just received Traitor's Moon by Lynn Flewelling (I love getting mail :P) so hopefully it will get me back into reading. I had a good July/August, but I haven't felt focused on reading since getting back to Aberdeen. I think Traitor's Moon will be the cure!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Brilliant book, I really enjoyed it.

I'm now going to start A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I'm a bit intimidated by it actually as it's fantasy, and I'm not a huge fan of the genre. Still, gotta give it a go after all I've heard, right?

I doubt anyone could make you do anything you didn't want to

You are right there. For once! :P

I think its definitely worth reading them in order, there are certain things that happen early on in the series which really set the back story of things that are mentioned in later books.

Honestly, I agree. However, the person who was trying to convince me to read the books in order has said that I should skip the first novel in the series (that's not yet been published in English) and go straight to the first novel in English. What kind of logic is that? :lol:

It's funny that I'm going to be able to read the first novel in the whole series before you British people who are already big fans and have read all or most of the novels already.

The earlier ones are very good though. I don't want to rub it in but The Snowman is soooo good!! :smile:

I'm glad to hear that, thanks for telling. Would you say it's even one of your favorites in the series?

Not yet, I'm having the operation next month :giggle2:

:D Bless pipread!

I finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Brilliant book, I really enjoyed it.

I'm so happy you enjoyed it all the way through! :smile2:

I'm now going to start A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I'm a bit intimidated by it actually as it's fantasy, and I'm not a huge fan of the genre. Still, gotta give it a go after all I've heard, right?

I can relate to that, I want to read the series as well because of the hype, but I'm dreading it because I don't think I'm very fantasy-capable, so to speak. It's a learned thought pattern I'm trying to reverse, because if I start counting, I've read loads of fantasy novels. I'm guessing you have read some, too, and liked at least some of the books in the genre? Or is that too bold of me.

Edit: I'm soon off to bed, an early night for me so I can read before falling asleep. Mielensäpahoittaja ja ruskeakastike still going on strong! :) Borrowed a few books from the library today. Two of them are about libraries/books/reading, and one is a graphic novel of Jeffrey Dahmer, by Derf Backderf, who used to go to school with him, apparently. Should make interesting reading! I would never have discovered the book had I not been working at the return books machine today.

Honestly, I agree. However, the person who was trying to convince me to read the books in order has said that I should skip the first novel in the series (that's not yet been published in English) and go straight to the first novel in English. What kind of logic is that? :lol:

Sounds like perfect logic, especially if we can't read the first two books in English yet - or would you expect this person to recommend to you a book that they haven't yet read? :doh::lol:

ETA: Bobbly, I wouldn't be too intimidated by Game of Thrones, it's more like historical fiction in a fantasy setting than the type of fantasy you're perhaps expecting :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Back from a little holiday - and managed to complete the delightful Pickwick Papers.

Also read the wonderfully-written : From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg.

It won the Newbury in 1968 - and I'm finding I can't go wrong with these.

Have started on another children/YA book : Harriet The Spy by Louise Fitzhugh.

Looking forward to another delicious read.

I can relate to that, I want to read the series as well because of the hype, but I'm dreading it because I don't think I'm very fantasy-capable, so to speak. It's a learned thought pattern I'm trying to reverse, because if I start counting, I've read loads of fantasy novels. I'm guessing you have read some, too, and liked at least some of the books in the genre? Or is that too bold of me.

ETA: Bobbly, I wouldn't be too intimidated by Game of Thrones, it's more like historical fiction in a fantasy setting than the type of fantasy you're perhaps expecting :smile:

As KO says, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. After the first chapter the vast majority of the first book just reads like a medieval/political thriller. Plenty of swords, very little sorcery.

I walked around Waterston’s this afternoon but didn't buy anything (seems a bit pointless when I know I'm going to be spending most of the next month or so reading A Clash of Kings!).

Silly Raven! You don't have to wait until you've read a book before you buy more! :P

Case in point: I bought Michel Faber's The Courage Consort today.

Silly Raven! You don't have to wait until you've read a book before you buy more! :P

I also have several more books waiting to be read, so I'm trying not to be a book buying crazy person to be good and not buy any more at the moment.

(I spent the money on Blu-ray versions of The Lord of the Rings films instead).

Still on a go slow with my reading.... :blush2: Half way through One Good Turn.

Received in the post today via RISI swap 'Catching Fire' by Suzanne Collins

Not too bold at all, Frankie. I have read a few fantasies (Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy, Magician by Raymond E Fiest) and enjoyed them, but I've never gotten hugely into the genre like some others. Part of me is still hesitant - not quite sure why actually. I think it may be because some of them seem quite complicated and detailed. :wacko:

As KO says, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. After the first chapter the vast majority of the first book just reads like a medieval/political thriller. Plenty of swords, very little sorcery.

I'm only a couple of chapters in, and I know why I was intimidated. It's all the different names and legends and races that throw me. I even flipped to the back cover to make sure I was reading the first of the series as it seems to just throw you in the deep end and expect you to understand all the different terminologies without them being properly introduced. It's as though fantasy books have their own language with the words that are used, and I wonder if fantasy-experts automatically know what these words mean, rather than trying to figure them out by the context they are used. I'm talking about words like: "wildings" and "godswood" and "khal", which I've had to stop and think about as I was reading. :hide: Do the same myths and legends run through different fantasy series? For example, do other fantasy authors use words like "godswood" and "khal", or do they all have their own language?

I'm still sticking with it because I'm enjoying it; it's just requiring a little more concentration on my part than usual.

I'm only a couple of chapters in, and I know why I was intimidated. It's all the different names and legends and races that throw me. I even flipped to the back cover to make sure I was reading the first of the series as it seems to just throw you in the deep end and expect you to understand all the different terminologies without them being properly introduced. It's as though fantasy books have their own language with the words that are used, and I wonder if fantasy-experts automatically know what these words mean, rather than trying to figure them out by the context they are used. I'm talking about words like: "wildings" and "godswood" and "khal", which I've had to stop and think about as I was reading. :hide: Do the same myths and legends run through different fantasy series? For example, do other fantasy authors use words like "godswood" and "khal", or do they all have their own language?

It's all part of what they call 'worldbuilding', and each fantasy author creates his or her own world to tell their story. It's all part of the fun, for me, with fantasy and science fiction, and you will get to know all the terms pretty quickly. My advice would be not to try to understand everything immediately - I think this is a mistake a lot of people make with these genres, rather than relaxing and going with the flow. It's similar to the vocabulary thread elsewhere, and trying to understand a word you don't recognise. If there's something I don't understand I don't worry about it, I just trust that I'll come to know what it means. For instance, a 'khal' is basically the chief of his tribe, and in Thrones the tribes are known as 'khalasars' :smile:

I would say, though, that it's quite a step up from Canavan or Feist to George RR Martin. GRRM's definitely a grittier, more adult approach to the genre.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I would say, though, that it's quite a step up from Canavan or Feist to George RR Martin. GRRM's definitely a grittier, more adult approach to the genre.

I certainly agree with you there!

I've decided to just go with the flow, and I figure if any of these 'odd words' are repeated throughout the book, I'm bound to pick up what they mean. And if they are only mentioned once, then I can get away with not knowing the true meaning of it. The character names still throw me a bit; there are quite a few characters introduced at the beginning but the author mentions them in alternate chapters so a bit more information is revealed as the story goes further. I wish he had a character listing at the front of the book - it would make it easier for me.

I've never heard of 'worldbuilding', but I suppose it makes sense that if a book/series is set in a completely different world/time, there need to be a 'biography' of the world for it to be consistent throughout. I'm sure if there isn't a framework, then it would be quite easy for things to contradict or not make sense, especially when you consider how complex these stories are.

Just as an aside, I'm surprised to see this book was published back in 1996. I've only heard of the series recently, and assumed they were written in the last couple of years.

I've decided to just go with the flow, and I figure if any of these 'odd words' are repeated throughout the book, I'm bound to pick up what they mean. And if they are only mentioned once, then I can get away with not knowing the true meaning of it.

That's the best way to do it :smile:

The character names still throw me a bit; there are quite a few characters introduced at the beginning but the author mentions them in alternate chapters so a bit more information is revealed as the story goes further. I wish he had a character listing at the front of the book - it would make it easier for me.

There's a character list at the back of the book :smile: Seriously, though, if there's anything you particularly want to know I think there's a thread for the book somewhere in the sf/fantasy section, or feel free to PM me and ask :smile:

Just as an aside, I'm surprised to see this book was published back in 1996. I've only heard of the series recently, and assumed they were written in the last couple of years.

Don't get me started! :lol: This is why I fear for anyone starting this series - all this time later and it's nowhere near being finished. He took six years to write the most recent book, and five years to write the one before that. Don't expect to be finding out what happens in the end any time soon! The only reason it's getting so much attention now is because of the tv series.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Glad you enjoyed it - it's a wonderful book, isn't it?

It is. I was quite surprised I enjoyed it so much (I never know what to expect from "classics")

Stayed up late, last night, and completed Harriet the Spy.

It was a little disturbing in bits - and has given me quite a bit to think about.

Have picked up Rudyard Kipling's Kim, to read next. Am looking forward to reading about 19th-century British-ruled India.

It's all part of what they call 'worldbuilding', and each fantasy author creates his or her own world to tell their story. It's all part of the fun, for me, with fantasy and science fiction, and you will get to know all the terms pretty quickly. My advice would be not to try to understand everything immediately - I think this is a mistake a lot of people make with these genres, rather than relaxing and going with the flow. It's similar to the vocabulary thread elsewhere, and trying to understand a word you don't recognise. If there's something I don't understand I don't worry about it, I just trust that I'll come to know what it means. For instance, a 'khal' is basically the chief of his tribe, and in Thrones the tribes are known as 'khalasars' :smile:

Martin isn't too bad when it comes to making up terms and names, for the most part he sticks to what people already know with a few names (like Khal and Khalasars) thrown in for the more unusual/original stuff.

I found Canavan to be appalling for this, giving made up names to the boringly ordinary. Calling a spider a Faren(?) doesn't give depth to a world, it distracts people and pulls them out of the story. Call a spider a spider and everyone will know what you are talking about and they don't get distracted!

Sounds like perfect logic, especially if we can't read the first two books in English yet - or would you expect this person to recommend to you a book that they haven't yet read? :doh::lol:

Well, knowing that this person has liked all of his books, I think they'd recommend to go ahead with the first title, going by the gut feeling that they must be good, too! :P

Not too bold at all, Frankie. I have read a few fantasies (Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy, Magician by Raymond E Fiest) and enjoyed them, but I've never gotten hugely into the genre like some others. Part of me is still hesitant - not quite sure why actually. I think it may be because some of them seem quite complicated and detailed.

I can definitely sympathise. :empathy: I feel the same way. But I think that if you want to give the genre a go, you should just stick with a book eventhough it seems like there are a lot of unexplained things in the beginning (something you did say you were going to do). They will be explained later on in the book. This might seem like a lot to expect from a person who's not used to the genre, but I think it pays off most of the time. That is, if you really want to read and finish a particular book. I did the same with this one sci-fi book I read sometime ago, I was having difficulties with it but I stuck it out and ended up really liking the book.

Good luck the A Game of Thrones! :)

I finished Mielensäpahoittaja ja ruskeakastike by Tuomas Kyrö yesterday and started reading Jonas Jonasson's The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. Very good so far!

Oh I've lost count of the amount of times I've picked up A Game of Thrones, and then put it down. Fantasy isn't really my thing, but so many people have said that it's a great series that I know I shall succumb to it eventually!

....but that makes me feel a bit better about it - thanks :)

I'm currently reading Except The Dying, by Maureen Jennings - the first in the Murdoch Mysteries series. The tv show is one of my very favourites, and the book is brilliant too! :)