Your Book Activity ~ August 2012

Kylie

I've just finished Wild Mary the authorised biography of the author Mary Wesley. Great read, and I definitely want to re-read all her books again now. :)

I've read this too, but skipped bits at the end because I found her last years rather depressing.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read this too, but skipped bits at the end because I found her last years rather depressing.

What a shame! There is a lot of sadness towards the end of her life, but there were also some great moments, new friends, her burgeoning career, and some of my favourite moments are in the last couple of chapters.

I bought Karl Pilkington's 'An Idiot Abroad' for 20p on Kindle yesterday, and today I accidentally wandered into a charity shop and bought Gregory Maguire's 'Wicked' and a near perfect copy of my favourite Jeffrey Deaver, 'A Maiden's Grave'. It's funny how I accidentally buy books sometimes. :blush2:

I bought Karl Pilkington's 'An Idiot Abroad' for 20p on Kindle yesterday

I could have sworn I had a Kindle copy of this, but apparently not. Have just picked it up for 20p as well. Thanks for the tip!! :smile:

Got back from my honeymoon, managed to get some good reading done on the beach :)

Enchanter's End Game (Belgariad 5) - David Eddings. 9/10

The Machine - D. G. Jones - 8/10

Ladies Night (Short Story) - Jack Ketchum - 7/10

The Phoenix Conspiracy - Richard Sanders - 9/10

Infinity Blade (Short Story) - Brandon Sanderson - 7/10

Study In Scarlet - A. C. Doyle - 8/10

The Crossing (Short Story) - Jack Ketchum - 6/10

Also started The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne which is great so far!

I kicked off my August book activity by receiving a book in the mail: A Book to Love. It was published by the ABC, the network that presents the First Tuesday Book Club on TV. It's a collection of essays by various authors about their favourite books.

Like I already said on Goodreads, I'm so jealous! I wish they'd given us free copies of the books at the FTBC show. Or at least shown us where we could buy our copies. It's not something I'll be able to buy at my local bookstore, for sure :D And most likely not on any online bookstore, either!

Have you been reading it yet? I think Augusten Burroughs is included in the book, which is a huge bonus for me and another reason why I'd love to have a copy.

Then it's settled, I need to read it when I get back to Aberdeen...I even bought it a while back.

Re: Gone with the Wind: Just don't start reading the book when you don't have enough time for it, and if you are not feeling you are in the right mood. If you get past the first 50 or so pages, I think you will find you really enjoy it :smile2: At least if you are anything like the other people I've seen on here who've read it and found that they've really truly enjoyed it!

I only have 20% left to read of Rivers Of London, off to spend some hard earned money on more books soon

Have you finished Rivers of London by now, and did you like it? Did you spend some of your hard earned money on the sequels? :giggle2:

thank you, im really getting into it now, and hopefully ill end up loving it too

How are you getting along with it now, it's been some time since you posted that ^ ? :) Sorry, I'm very curious :D

Well, it was ok I guess......I kept feeling like I was waiting for something big to come....and it didn't....I definitely liked Running with Scissors better.....

although the part about the dog and the tumor really bothered me

I agree that Running with Scissors is very different from A Wolf at the Table. I think for me it was easier to read the latter because I'd read Dry in between those books, and Dry is a step from the funny (even if on a very weird way) RwS to a more serious story telling. And AWatT is many, many steps from that, it's a very serious and harrowing read. I was very disturbed by

Augusten's stories about his father, I actually went and googled him to see if after publishing the book there'd been an investigation into his shady business.

If you enjoyed RwS and the more 'light' writing style of Burroughs, I would suggest you read Magical Thinking and Possible Side Effects, both of which are short stories about his life :) I also really enjoyed Sellevision, the only novel he's ever written.

Finished Room by Emma Donoghue, which totally blew me away

It's a really great read, isn't it! :) So glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I hope you enjoy the novel, everybody seems to be reading this nowadays and I'd like to get my hands on it, too! And the title is rather delicious :D

Oh, when I mention The Office I mean the original series that was made over here. The American version is based off of it, but from what I can tell from the clips I've seen it's quite different.

It's quite different, but I love love love the American version :smile2: I'd recommend both versions to anyone who's interested.

Now starting Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote.

Snap, I have just finished it as well, great minds

I noticed two people simultaneously reading/finishing this book on my goodreads 'news feed', the events were right next to each other and it made me laugh :) What are the odds!

Not may books to choose from on TBR Hill (it's had to be downgraded from a mountain now) but decided I'd give The Library of Shadows a go next. 50 pages in and I love it so far!

What's this? I'm intrigued :)

My own activities have been rather few: apart from dealing with books on a regular basis at my new job, I haven't been doing much. I'm still reading Wonderful Fool by Shusaku Endo and I'm liking it, but I just haven't had time to fully engage in it.

I borrowed a few books from the library this week: the first book in the Jo Nesbø series, and a book by Madeleine Hessérus which I don't think has been translated into English.

Edit: Sorry for the double posting, but I had too many quote tags for one single post and I wasn't able to make it all into one post!

What's this? I'm intrigued :)

Here's the blurb:

Imagine that some people have the power to affect your thoughts and feelings when you read, or they read a book to you. They can seduce you with amazing stories, conjure up vividly imagined worlds, but also manipulate you into thinking exactly what they want you to.

When Luca Campelli dies a sudden and violent death, his son Jon inherits his second-hand bookshop, Libri di Luca, in Copenhagen. Jon has not seen his father for twenty years since the mysterious death of his mother.

When Luca's death is followed by an arson attempt on the shop, Jon is forced to explore his family's past. Unbeknown to Jon, the bookshop has for years been hiding a remarkable secret. It is the meeting place of a society of booklovers and readers, who have maintained a tradition of immense power passed down from the days of the great library of ancient Alexandria. Now someone is trying to destroy them, and Jon finds himself in a fight for his life and those of his new friends.

I'm already on page 270, it's such a good read. I have to admit, I bought it as the third book in a 3 for 2 offer, and went off the title alone and didn't even read the blurb :blush: but it's turned out to be exactly the sort of book I like for holiday reads. Don't think it'll take me much longer to finish - have about 150 pages to go. :D

I'm already on page 270, it's such a good read. I have to admit, I bought it as the third book in a 3 for 2 offer, and went off the title alone and didn't even read the blurb :blush: but it's turned out to be exactly the sort of book I like for holiday reads. Don't think it'll take me much longer to finish - have about 150 pages to go. :D

Thanks for the info, chesilbeach! Now that I read the blurb, I realised I know the book, but I've just forgotten its English title and in Finnish it's 'Libri di Luca's Mystery'. I think someone on here has also read it, but I just can't remember who... I think I also have it on my wishlist :) I'm happy to hear you are liking it!

(And now I've realised you've bought books :D You've either reached zero TBR while I've been away and have bought loads of new books which now make for TBR 8 :giggle2: Another possible scenario: you've just gone and bought more books! I'll have to pop in your reading log to see what's been going on :D

I agree that Running with Scissors is very different from A Wolf at the Table. I think for me it was easier to read the latter because I'd read Dry in between those books, and Dry is a step from the funny (even if on a very weird way) RwS to a more serious story telling. And AWatT is many, many steps from that, it's a very serious and harrowing read. I was very disturbed by

Augusten's stories about his father, I actually went and googled him to see if after publishing the book there'd been an investigation into his shady business.

If you enjoyed RwS and the more 'light' writing style of Burroughs, I would suggest you read Magical Thinking and Possible Side Effects, both of which are short stories about his life :) I also really enjoyed Sellevision, the only novel he's ever written.

thanks for the tips....I'll see if I can find them at the library :)

I finished Gone With The Wind a few days ago (took me almost 2 weeks) and started on Sense and Sensibility. However, my new Doyles Sherlock Holmes collected work arrived and kept staring at me from its place on the shelve in the way only books can stare. I had no choice but to continue with that one too. I finished the story about the 5 pips and found that the kuk klux klan was not as infamously famous as it is now. I guess that's what I get for reading books 110 years after they have been written.

I finished 'The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo' yesterday and started the next book. It took me some serious patience to get through the first half of the book, I am glad I did as it was well worth the wait when it got good. Some of the translation was slightly off, annoying little things, but I suppose we can't have it al can we!

Lou x

thanks for the tips....I'll see if I can find them at the library :)

You're welcome! :)

I did a lot of housechores this weekend, and finally got to doing a bit of work on the RC book, and I also finally got a new reading lamp for my bedroom, so I'm very much looking forward to going to bed tonight to read and sleep :smile2: I'm still reading The Wonderful Fool by Shusaku Endo, and I'm hoping to finish it tonight.

I started both Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks and The Music of the Primes by Marcus du Sautoy yesterday, to see which one caught my fancy, and both had a cracking opening! Have decided to go with Birdsong for now, as fiction is easier to read during my lunch break! Will save the other one for the weekend. :smile2:

Then I started reading I Capture the Castle, and what I want to know is....WHY haven't I read this before? So far, it is just wonderful :)

Brilliant isn't it, if it hadn't come up as a reading circle book choice i don't know when i would have got round to reading it but i'd put it up there with my all time favourite books :smile:

The Handmaid's Tale!

Great book :I-Agree:

Just started The Land of Painted Caves Jean M Auel hoping to get through this quickly as i've promised to pass on the series to a friend unfortunately i haven't enjoyed the last few books as much as i thought i would so looking forward to finishing the series.

I am about 40 percent through The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. This is an incredibly funny book that gets more farcicle with each page - a cross between Forest Gump (the film) and A Fraction of the Whole (book) by Steve Toltz.