Your Book Activity ~ July 2012

Kylie

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've literally just finished Shadow of Night by Deborah Harness and feel like I've been holding my breath for the second half of the book, it was wonderful! It's still foremost in my head and no doubt will be there for a while ....no idea what to read next, how do I top that? Lol

Edited by Charm

I've literally just finished Shadow of Night by Deborah Harness and feel like I've been holding my breath for the second half of the book, it was wonderful! It's still foremost in my head and no doubt will be there for a while ....no idea what to read next, how do I top that? Lol

Great to hear that you loved it Charm! The list of books I want to read once I've finished my TBR challenge is growing exponentially at the moment - can't wait :exc:

Just finished Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent and I think I'm going to start ella minnow pea next. Also reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog and it is, at last, starting to make sense to me .. sort of

Kylie really liked Ella Minnow Pea, and I really, really want to read it, too. I have a feeling you'll love it!

And :blush: oh dear, re: Elegance.

My boyfriend surprised me with a gift today, a book from bd turned up in my mail in his name. I told him when I spoke to him on the phone earlier tonight, and he said open it, as I did he said surprise!

Devi, you are such a tease! :P What was the book??

The Wife and I (that still sounds weird) got Kindles as a wedding present, enjoying browsing for books! Will be great for our honeymoon

Great pressies! :smile2: And enjoy your honeymoon, but remember to come up for air every now and then. I mean, just so you won't only be reading books on the Kindles ;)

Still minimal reading here. I literally only get to read when I go to the bathroom. I'm dreaming of escaping to the country somewhere for a week or so - somewhere with no TVs or internet or work to distract me. Just me and my books.

That would be great :empathy: I hope you won't be all that busy with work in the near future and can have some time for yourself. I miss you :friends3:

I haven't been reading much lately, I've started a few things, Borderliners by Peter Hoeg for one, and today I started A First-Rate Madness by Nassir Ghaemi, it's an interesting book investigating the links between leadership and mental illness. Starts off well.

How's Borderliners going?

I'm starting Room by Emma Donoghue.

That's a great one, it was my favorite read in 2011. I hope you enjoy it! :smile2:

I'm currently reading The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year by Sue Townsend and I'm really enjoying it.

I also got two books in the mail on Tuesday: Freakonomics and In Defence of Dogs! All thanks to poppyshake :flowers2:

Devi, you are such a tease! :P What was the book??

Haha, I didn't say it because it's a novel based off a game, it's from a Japanese author. it's called ICO.

Synopsis from Wikipedia:

"Ico (イコ Iko?, /ˈiːkoʊ/) is an action-adventure game developed by Team Ico and published by Sony Computer Entertainment, released for the PlayStation 2 video game console in 2001 and 2002 across various regions. It was designed and directed by Fumito Ueda, who wanted to create a minimalist game around a "boy meets girl" concept. Originally planned for the PlayStation, Ico took approximately four years to develop. The team employed a "subtracting design" approach to reduce elements of gameplay that interfered with the game's setting and story in order to create a high level of immersion.

The titular protagonist is a young boy named Ico who was born with horns, which his village considers a bad omen. Warriors lock him away in an abandoned fortress. During his explorations of the fortress, Ico encounters Yorda, the daughter of the castle's Queen. The Queen plans to use Yorda's body to extend her own lifespan. Learning this, Ico seeks to escape the castle with Yorda, keeping her safe from the shadow-like creatures that attempt to draw her back. Throughout the game, the player controls Ico as he explores the castle, solves puzzles and assists Yorda across obstacles."

How's Borderliners going?

Sorry to say I'm only 44 pages into Borderliners, put it down for A First-Rate Madness.

But I'll get back to it soon.

It's hard to say how I feel about it so early on in the story. It's still in set-up, and a bit difficult to jive with at the moment. I have a feeling it's one of those books that takes a bit to get into properly. I have high hopes.

That's a great one, it was my favorite read in 2011. I hope you enjoy it! :smile2:

Oh good! I just read some utter dirge, so hope this is a bit better! I've only read 10 pages so far, so will be interesting to see how I get on with the "childish" style.

Started The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis by José Saramago. As usual with Saramago's writing, it's very dense and requires time and concentration to take it in properly, but I can completely lose myself in his world, so only 30 pages in but absolutely glorious so far. :smile2:

About halfway through Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, and loving it. I try reading a bit in bed each night, but my puppy keeps attacking the book (I think because it's so big and chewable, and it takes attention away from him :giggle2: ). Seriously, I struggle so much to keep the book away from him (and it now has teeth marks in the pages :censored: ), that I can barely read the thing. :giggle:

Haha, I didn't say it because it's a novel based off a game, it's from a Japanese author. it's called ICO.

How is it? I didn't enjoy what I played of Ico (the gameplay hasn't aged well, unlike SOTC) but the story was pretty good.

I'm just about to try and start reading Mockingjay but Catching Fire left me feeling so negative towards the series I've just been staring at the book, willing myself to pick it up. People have told me a lot of my complaints are addressed in Mockingjay, and have told me it's worth it, but I'm apprehensive...

Just finished Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent :D :D :D and I think I'm going to start ella minnow pea next :smile: Also reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog and it is, at last, starting to make sense to me :cows: .. sort of :blush2:

I loved Ella Minnow Pea. It is just brilliant :) Hope you love it too!

Hope you enjoy if Sofia :)

Thanks, so far am enjoying it very much :)

I'm starting Room by Emma Donoghue.

I loved that book...a fave from last year

Started The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis by José Saramago. As usual with Saramago's writing, it's very dense and requires time and concentration to take it in properly, but I can completely lose myself in his world, so only 30 pages in but absolutely glorious so far. :smile2:

Saramago is one of my very fave authors, though I haven't read this one yet....I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on it...have you read others by him?

Amazon are having a Kindle Marathon sale, so of course I have bought several. :blink:

Revenge of the Tide - Elizabeth Haynes (loved Into The Darkest Corner)

Almost French: A New Life in Paris - Sarah Turnbull

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness ( really looking forward to this one)

The Eleventh Commandment - Jeffrey Archer

I'm still going through them - there are over 400 on offer, so I'm sure I'll end up with more. :doh:

Saramago is one of my very fave authors, though I haven't read this one yet....I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on it...have you read others by him?

Yes, I've read The Stone Raft, Blindness and The Tale Of The Unknown Island.

Yes, I've read The Stone Raft, Blindness and The Tale Of The Unknown Island.

Blindness is a fave book of mine, and Unknown Island was a sweet little story. I have The Stone Raft, but haven't gotten to it yet....you should try Death at Intervals...really good too :)

How is it? I didn't enjoy what I played of Ico (the gameplay hasn't aged well, unlike SOTC) but the story was pretty good.

I haven't started it yet, I'm still trying to finish my current read. I have fallen behind a bit on my reading lately :(