What's up in July?

Kell

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Christmas we received this email from our previous neighbor. I am sure she wouldn't mind my posting it:

Hi Ed,

Ain’t no miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer!

About 4:20a this morning my wind chimes woke me up. I had no marine horn because I’d emptied it about a month ago when another bear cub had arrived in the wee hours. I finally used a couple of skillets and banged away. This morning I had to throw a skillet at this guy to make him budge. Pretty funny! His partner in crime (twin) went up a big oak nearby, but it was too far away to get a photo of him. Once they were off the deck I retrieved my feeders that somehow were still in tact. A few minutes later they were back and ripped up the cover on the grill before giving up and leaving since this crazy woman was beating on the deck with a skillet again.

Don’t you miss life in the country?

I've bought all my laptop batteries from Amazon as well. I have a Dell and the stuff at their site is way too pricey.

It's hot and humid up here too, Pontalba - stop sending your weather up here! :lol: It's 99f right now, yuck! Hopefully it'll storm soon.

Hey! I thought you'd sent it here. :D

99F is pretty yucky, I thought our mid 90's were bad enough.

If it isn't the heat and humidity, it's the mosquitoes, or the horse flies, or the darned wasps. Oy.

Last Christmas we received this email from our previous neighbor. I am sure she wouldn't mind my posting it:

Hi Ed,

About 4:20a this morning my wind chimes woke me up. I had no marine horn because I’d emptied it about a month ago when another bear cub had arrived in the wee hours. I finally used a couple of skillets and banged away. This morning I had to throw a skillet at this guy to make him budge. Pretty funny! His partner in crime (twin) went up a big oak nearby, but it was too far away to get a photo of him. Once they were off the deck I retrieved my feeders that somehow were still in tact. A few minutes later they were back and ripped up the cover on the grill before giving up and leaving since this crazy woman was beating on the deck with a skillet again.

lol. She's a lady a bear wouldn't want to mess with!! They aren't exactly little are they??

Hi Ed,

What a fantastic picture, I would so love to see a bear in the wild (not too close up mind!) any more pics? ;)

Muggles, that was a pretty long time ago now and there are a lot of new people here. You've got to realise that for most of us bears in our back yard would be as unlikely as elephants!! But if not, do post the one of the Santa impersonating bear :D

I'm one of them new people. I would love to see the bears in your backyard please (and maybe I could trade you with a picture of an elephant bathing in the temple in my backyard behind my house ;) )

Edited by bree

the bear in the last photo was a cub in its first year. this photo is of a fully grown bear that I named 'trouble", for obvious reasons.

Moderator - should this photo be moved elsewhere so we don't mess up the What's Up In July thread?

Edited by muggle not

Great photos, Muggle!

We have black bears up north at the cabin and from what I hear from my mom, they visit a few times a summer and wander around on the deck like it's no biggie. They take the bird feeders in every night luckily, otherwise the bears and raccoons would gorge themselves!

More 90s weather today here but tonight storms are in the forecast so hope that brings some relief, ugh.

I'm now well and truly back from y holiday. Xan and I went off to visit family in Northumberland for the best part of a week - it was his first ever train trip and he loved it! He was an absolute gem on both journeys and all the time we were away, so we had a lovely time. :)

We got back on Saturday night and since then it's been the whole round of grocery shopping, doing laundry, putting the flat back in order (Dale was left alone and he did well, but you know what it's like - LOL!). Tonight I go back to work - boooo!

Anyway, Xan and I have had a fun afternoon at the park and I've been playing with my hair a bit - I managed to put it up in a halo braid on my first try - and it's also my first successful attempt at a French braid of any kind! It could do with being a touch tidier, but I'm quite chuffed with how it turned out. I'l practice a bit though...

post-3572-0-77004700-1342533669_thumb.jpg

Hi Ed,

This bear is practically hug-gable - Gosh! What a darling!

I've only ever seen bears at the zoo - and a few with street artists who train them to dance to the beat of a drum.

Where do you live muggle-not, (if you don't mind my asking) ?

Thank you for all your advice, I'm going to try Amazon so will keep you posted!

Today has been the day from hell at work - I have been consolidating on my helpline training from last week. It is scary talking to 'real' customers lol and not knowing what each call will entail, I'm so used to bring in control of telephone calls and this is a whole new ball game. I know it is just practice and I will get there.

This bear is practically hug-gable - Gosh! What a darling!

I've only ever seen bears at the zoo - and a few with street artists who train them to dance to the beat of a drum.

Where do you live muggle-not, (if you don't mind my asking) ?

The bear photos are from a few years back when I lived near Charlottesville, Virginia, U.S. I lived there for for about 13 or 14 years and loved it. I have since moved to North Carolina.

It was actually quite a nice day at work for me - I had a visit from my NVQ Assessor which went very well (hopefully I only have 2 more visits to go before it is all complete) and even the Director was in good mood, which doesn't happen very often ! Sadly when I got home Coran told me that one of our friends had passed away in her sleep - she was in her 80's and had been unwell for some time, but even so it is a bit of a shock.

the bear in the last photo was a cub in its first year. this photo is of a fully grown bear that I named 'trouble", for obvious reasons.

Oh my, and I thought the cub was big!!! :icon_eek: Does your friend try and scare ones away that size by throwing skillets at them??? I wouldn't put it past them to throw it staight back!

My brother and family are in China and recently he went up into a mountainous area to help locals set up electric fence units to keep bears out of their houses. The government had ordered the killing of some little groundhog type animal because they thought it was destroying the farmer's pasture. But it happened to be the main food source of the bears and now they are venturing out further looking for food. One bear got into a medicine cupboard and took something that sent it berserk, It absolutely trashed the house and threw furniture out the window.

I'm one of them new people. I would love to see the bears in your backyard please (and maybe I could trade you with a picture of an elephant bathing in the temple in my backyard behind my house ;) )

We want elephant photos Bree!!! :D

Oh my, and I thought the cub was big!!! :icon_eek: Does your friend try and scare ones away that size by throwing skillets at them??? I wouldn't put it past them to throw it staight back!

My brother and family are in China and recently he went up into a mountainous area to help locals set up electric fence units to keep bears out of their houses. The government had ordered the killing of some little groundhog type animal because they thought it was destroying the farmer's pasture. But it happened to be the main food source of the bears and now they are venturing out further looking for food. One bear got into a medicine cupboard and took something that sent it berserk, It absolutely trashed the house and threw furniture out the window.

We want elephant photos Bree!!! :D

wow poppy, what an experience for your brother and family. tell him to send photos. :)

Agree with you, Bree,we would like some elephant photos.:) I lost all my elephant photos from my GD trip to Africa when I got my new computer and they somehow got lost in th transfer.

Here's one - her name is Lakshmi which is the name of the Hindu Goddess of Wealth.

She's 9 years old - and belongs to a temple.

Her two mahouts take her to the river every morning for a 2-hour bath :)

She's a darling! Loves bananas, coconuts, peanuts - and a good old rub on her trunk.

Bree, that is an absolutely gorgeous photo! She is beautiful. She'd be in elephant heaven having her 2 hour bath every morning. Love the bell around her neck.

What is the story behind elephants belonging to temples ....are they considered sacred? I know some of the Hindu Gods have elephant heads.

If you have any more photos, I'd love to see them, the colours are glorious :friends0:

Great photo Bree. Elephants love the water.

Here is a photo of a bear I named 'Looking Bear". As you can see the bear loves the sunflower seed in the bird feeder. one of the bears actually took the feeder off the post and went down into the woods with it. My granddaughter and I went all through the woods looking for the feeder and couldn't find it.

muggle-not my little girl is delighted with your bears - have downloaded copies of the photos, if that's okay!

poppy, temple elephants are part of the culture of ancient South Indian temples. Unfortunately not all of them are looked after as well as Lakshmi.

Most of these temples were built by kings of long ago - who had stables of hundreds of elephants. A few special ones were given to the temples - for worship and processions. You're right about the Elephant-God - he's called Ganesha - and is depicted as someone very wise and clever, and yet fun and full of humour, and rather fond of food!

Lakshmi belongs to Hampi - the same place I mentioned when I posted my picture on that other thread.

The one near our house comes "on hire" for the festive season.

It's funny you should mention the colours - I've always felt the colours here are relatively dull - as compared to elsewhere. A friend of mine lives in Eugene, in Oregon, US - and her pictures are striking and rich with colour - I'm always fascinated at the lighting!

Here's one more of Lakshmi (will message you the others) and a couple of a Himalayan bear we met at a tiny zoological park in the mountains.

Last weeks article in the Dorking Advertiser re the cancelled Olympic special of the newsletter that I was until recently Editor of, has it seems made its way on to the Internet, and from there to BBC Radio Surrey, who sent me an email this morning via my website asking me to phone them. When I phoned them back during my tea break , they invited me on to their breakfast show in the morning at 7.40am! The reporter I spoke to said that they had a meeting with both LOCOG and SCC (Surrey County Council) this afternoon during which they would tell them my story and ask for their comments, which they hope to present on the show tomorrow morning. I would love to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting !

If anyone fancies listening in tomorrow morning though (if are able to), then just click the link above.