What's up in July?

Kell

I'm dying with a cold :( Got sent home from work today because I was so miserable, and was told if I'm not better tomorrow to stay away lest they all catch the plague in my office! :lol:

I don't think I will be better, but I also feel guilty taking a sick day (plus tomorrow would be VERY useful for getting stuff done as Fridays are quiet on phones and emails, we don't do training, and I could get some one on one time with one of the other trainers to help prepare me for the training I'm giving next week). I'm just going to let it up to how I feel in the morning!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2nd of my 2 days off this week - I could get used to this working five days on with 2 days off. I won't last for much longer though, as my Polish colleague is back to work on Monday. Tomorrow is the residents annual summer party, which given the weather I think will have to be inside. The 2 chefs do a nice buffet for all the families (we have about 70 people confirmed as definately coming), and Georgina, the Activities Organiser arranges a pianist or sometimes a singer to entertain everyone afterwards. Coran will be coming to help out in the morning, but I will be doing my usual cleaning and laundry ! I'm just glad that I don't have to do the washing up !

Today though, since it is payday, I am off to Guildford to spent all my money in Lush, get some more book ideas and of course have a scrummy veggie lunch in The Beano. I also need a new pair of walking shoes, since mine have decided to spring a leak, which with the Olympics coming in just 2 weeks now, is not good.

Talking of Olympics, the Dorking Advertiser publisher my interview yesterday, which made very interesting reading. It was short but sweet. It was good to see my name in print again. It will be interestihg to see if there are any letters in response to it next week as the Editor also made some rather interesting comments in response to the story that were shall we say, less than flattering towards the powers that be.

Edited by Talisman

I hope you feel better Nollaig. My DD had a cold earlier in the week and I've got my fingers crossed I don't catch it. The kids are back to school on Monday so I can start getting some proper study done for the paper I started last Monday.

I'm taking my 2 year old nephew to a model train exhibition on Sunday. Can't wait to see his face when he sees them. It's hard to believe my now-taller-than-me 15 year old was once that small.

At present I am waiting for the tow truck to pick up our Jeep. Yesterday late afternoon we'd parked in the grocery parking lot, quite legally and someone cut too close and banged the front driver's side fender, knocking the whole thing askew and something leaked all over the place. It was decided it wasn't the radiator, thankfully, so we could drive home. But the insurance companies have decided it should be towed to the shop, not driven. Probably just as well. Then it has been arranged for a rental car to pick us up afterwards. The shop said they had a backlog of cars to repair, so they'll keep my poor Annabell for maybe 2 weeks. /sigh/

It was quite a shock to see a group of people gathered around the Jeep when we came out of the grocery, and I spent almost 2 hours yesterday evening on the phone with first my insurance, then the other car's insurance company. But it all came together nicely this morning, so I can't fuss about their reaction times. So far.

I was also grateful to see that some of the store employees were most helpful, one even having gotten the man's license number as he thought the guy was driving off. He didn't though, only parked in a different place.

Noll, hope you're feeling better by now!

Life's kind of upside down for me at the moment. I've had to rearrange the house as my mum has had to move back in from the unit out back because my condition seems to have worsened.

I still have been floating around the forums here, I've just been a little quiet. I haven't read anything for the last few weeks and it really bums me out :(

I'm hoping things will settle down over the next couple of weeks.

Muggle not why dont you put chili powder out that keep the squirrels out

I was away to Lanzorate loved it fab hotel entainment was fab aswell want to go back

I never thought of chili powder. I wonder if that would help. of course it would take a lot of powder for my garden.

my new computer was delivered. a neighbor friend helped set it up for me. Now I have to learn how to use it.

poppy - if you read this. the monitor is 27" and is an all-in-one, no external processor. You should see the Starry, Starry, Night song/video on it .......awesome. :)

I never thought of chili powder. I wonder if that would help. of course it would take a lot of powder for my garden.

my new computer was delivered. a neighbor friend helped set it up for me. Now I have to learn how to use it.

poppy - if you read this. the monitor is 27" and is an all-in-one, no external processor. You should see the Starry, Starry, Night song/video on it .......awesome. :)

Wow Muggle, it's as big as a television!! We sang Starry, Starry Night for the first time at choir practice this week, accompanied by our guitars. We need lots more practice, but didn't sound too bad :smile:

Good luck with the squirrels ...they'll probably develop a taste for it :giggle2:

Edited by poppy

We put chilli powder out when we have birds food and we didn't see a squirrel untill a couple of nights of heavy rain which we went straight out put chilli powder out and it did the trick. It doesn't affect the birds.

That's a really good trick to know. It would probably work for other animals as well.

I just clicked on your Postpals Laura ....what a great and worthwhile site :friends0:

We put chilli powder out when we have birds food and we didn't see a squirrel untill a couple of nights of heavy rain which we went straight out put chilli powder out and it did the trick. It doesn't affect the birds.

it does sound like a great idea. probably too late for my veggie garden but may help with flowers, especially the phlox. the deer eat all the buds off my phlox. We also have a very plump rabbit that has now eaten the tops off all my carrots. They are probably ok though as they had pretty much matured and I will dig/pull thm out.

At least we don't have any bear problems where we now live. poppy will remember the photos i took at our previous home where we had bear every day in our back yard eating sunflower seed. We would have as many as 7 different bear in a single day.

Life's kind of upside down for me at the moment. I've had to rearrange the house as my mum has had to move back in from the unit out back because my condition seems to have worsened.

Hope things improve for you Devi - and that you feel better soon.

:friends3:

The residents party was a big success despite the rain. They all enjoyed themselves tremendously, and it was nice to meet some of the families that I hadn't seen before. I am though completely knackered having worked a 9 hour day with little more than a 20 minute break, so am very glad to be home.

Had a brilliant day out at ShortStoryVille, which is a day dedicated to the short story. The Bristol Prize is an annual short story competition, with the longlisted stories being published in an anthology. I'll write a bit more about it over in my book thread, but it was fantastically bookish day, and have added six books to my wishlist! :smile2:

Wow Muggle, it's as big as a television!! We sang Starry, Starry Night for the first time at choir practice this week, accompanied by our guitars. We need lots more practice, but didn't sound too bad :smile:

Good luck with the squirrels ...they'll probably develop a taste for it :giggle2:

I would love to hear Starry, Starry Night sung by a Choir. Keep us informed on the progress of the Choir. How many play guitar in the Choir?

I would love to hear Starry, Starry Night sung by a Choir. Keep us informed on the progress of the Choir. How many play guitar in the Choir?

Muggle, we are very amateur :blush2: We have a max of 20 singers. Two of us were playing guitars this week, but we may get a couple more.

You should repost your bear photos for everyone to see, they were amazing!!

Edited by poppy

Well, finally, the rental car came through, (after much dithering with the guy's insurance company) but it wasn't what we'd been allowed for size wise. We took it anyhow so as to be able to get around. Made some more phone calls, and by the late afternoon were able to get a better deal.

The car rental company came up with a lovely car. A 2012 Mazda6, black, black interior. Me. Want. This. Car. :D Drives like a dream, handles beautifully. /sigh/ I love my Jeep, but this one is super zoomy dreamy. Oh well, we have it for a few more days. :)

poppy, your group sounds like so much fun. I bet it sounds great. :D

Edited by pontalba

Muggle, we are very amateur :blush2: We have a max of 20 singers. Two of us were playing guitars this week, but we may get a couple more.

You should repost your bear photos for everyone to see, they were amazing!!

Why don't you tape it and post it on u-tube :). Then we could all listen.

actually, I think you are modest. it will sound very nice, I am sure.

Naw, I think many on here have seen the bear photos and it would only be a repeat. I may post a photo of a young bear that my neighbor (from my old place of residence) sent me this past Christmas when a bear was on her deck outside the house. It made so much noise that she thought it was Santa and his reindeer coming.

Had quite a fraught (sp?) few days, hubby going off on one on Saturday night which left me with a headache which is only just receding :( and now my battery on my laptop has decided to pack up :banghead: just looked on line and they want £118 for a replacement :o also checked Amazon and they have one similar for a fraction of Dell's costs but unsure as to whether to buy it and take a chance it will work ok :wacko: any help from you guys would be appreciated..... :JC_cookies: I have cookies :)

Edited by madcow

Had quite a fraught (sp?) few days, hubby going off on one on Saturday night which left me with a headache which is only just receding :( and now my battery on my laptop has decided to pack up :banghead: just looked on line and they want £118 for a replacement :o also checked Amazon and they have one similar for a fraction of Dell's costs but unsure as to whether to buy it and take a chance it will work ok :wacko: any help from you guys would be appreciated..... :JC_cookies: I have cookies :)

We bought a laptop battery from Amazon and it was fine, As Michelle says look for a seller with good feedback and sells genuine parts, good luck! :)

I've bought all my laptop batteries from Amazon as well. I have a Dell and the stuff at their site is way too pricey.

It's hot and humid up here too, Pontalba - stop sending your weather up here! :lol: It's 99f right now, yuck! Hopefully it'll storm soon.

Naw, I think many on here have seen the bear photos and it would only be a repeat. I may post a photo of a young bear that my neighbor (from my old place of residence) sent me this past Christmas when a bear was on her deck outside the house. It made so much noise that she thought it was Santa and his reindeer coming.

Muggles, that was a pretty long time ago now and there are a lot of new people here. You've got to realise that for most of us bears in our back yard would be as unlikely as elephants!! But if not, do post the one of the Santa impersonating bear :D