What's up in July?

Kell

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely picture Diane, love their outfits! Are kilts generally worn at graduations or it is just an option if people feel like it? *is very ignorant about these things* :D

Scorching hot and humid here, running mid to upper 90'sF, but it's slightly better this week I suppose, last week it threatened 100F all week, hovering just below. Thunderstorms in the afternoon, just enough to make it even more humid. Nothing like driving down the highway and watching the steam rise from the pavement ahead of you. lol :roll:

Nollaig, just saw your posts re the presentation.....God I hate stage fright! Congratulations on a performance well done. :)

I can't believe it's July already, and I can't believe its less than 2 weeks since I got back from my own holiday - it seems like forever.

I too have been working hard since I got back - one of the other housekeepers has gone home to Poland for a few weeks to see her sick mother, who is on dialysis, so that means there are just 2 of us running the show. What with days off and having to also work in the kitchen when the kitchen assistant has his days off, there have been two housekeepers on only one day this week. Just for once though, when the Director visited yesterday he didn't leave any nasty notes in the book.

Days off today and tomorrow, with not much planned. I might go out somewhere tomorrow if the weather's nice, but if not I will just stay home at look at my holiday pictures to remind myself of what sunshine looks like !

Edited by Talisman

Wtg Noll! :D That's great and now that it's over you sound like a pro!

Great photo, Diane, and congrats to your son.

It's super hot and humid here as well - yesterday it made it up to 101f and needless to say I drank my weight in water :lol: It's not supposed to break until Saturday so hopefully we'll haev some nice storms.

I had a nice day off yesterday for Independence Day, and it's smooth sailing for the rest of the week! I hope it's the same for the rest of you :D.

Had a loooong day at work today, but not too bad overall. Looking forward to the weekend now! No plans so far, but might try to visit another indie bookshop to finish off Independent Booksellers Week, plus watching the tennis finals :smile2:

Hope you have fun Timstar.

I ended up taking yesterday off work due to a bad headache which miraculously disappeared with the thunder!

Today was very busy at work but at least it did my flexi good lol, got soaked walking the dogs this evening but at least they had fun. Hoping for a quiet weekend and don't care whether it rains or not!

Hi people. I have not been on here since January and wanted to say hello again. I've not been reading much this year. This is because I have a 9 month old. Babies are the biggest time suckers in the universe. In a nice way luckily. However i usually like to read before falling asleep at night. This only takes 30 seconds when you still get woken at least twice a night so not much reading gets done :)

But now I have had an early birthday present of a Kindle and am back online hunting out new books to try. Looking forward to finding out what everyone's been reading.

Hello Lady M, good to 'see' you. :smile:

I spent Thursday carrying out some hefty jungling/gardening, and yesterday I was throwing branches and twigs through a little chipper machine, so this weekednd as the weather is pretty wet we are doing the final segment to our ongoing Big Book Swaparound (no, it's not just big books!). So by Sunday pm I hope to have my gorgeous new IKEA shelves properly sorted, and the bookshelves downstairs similarly filled and sorted. I am looking forward to this, and as hubby and I have such a giggle when we do this kind of thing I think the weekend looks good. :D

Hi ladymacbeth, good to hear from you again :)

Sounds like a fun weekend Chrissy! I'm gradually reorganising bookshelves around the house, and hopefully will be able to get some more organisation and less chaos :lol:

I've been scouting out a couple of cafés this morning to try and find a great one, but didn't like either of them enough. Don't worry though, I will continue on my quest, despite the hardship of drinking coffee and tea, testing cakes and snacks, and having to read while doing so. :drama:

Edited by chesilbeach

Hello again LMB glad to hear your doing ok and congrats on your new arrival.

Can't believe how fast this wekend has gone, wish I had another week off!

At least it has stopped raining, it's been a really lovely day here. Off to do a bit more reading :)

Two things are up in July for me.

1. The temperature on our thermometer hit 104 F today.

2. My temper is way up. I had 3 rows of corn planted, each row about 15 feet long and the corn was just getting ripe for picking and eating. Well, squirrels got into it and ate every darn ear of corn. I was furious as we were looking forward to fresh corn on the cob.

Oh my Muggle, that IS HOT!! My temper would be way up because of the heat, let alone the pesky squirrels. They must have been mighty hungry suirrels to eat all that ....you can just hope they're all lying on their backs now, clutching sore tummies, vowing never to let so much as another corn kernal pass their lips!!

Got back from work about 3pm, having stopped off on the way home for a cup of tea and cake at Headley. It was a bit of a strange day, as we had a team of 3 engineers installing new washing machines, which meant that we couldn't do any laundry, so I gave everything a much better clean instead ! After I got home I had a phone call from the local paper re the fiasco that has become the Olympics - apparently they have been inundated with compaints about LOCOG and the organisation of it all (what a surprise) and so wanted to speak to me re the cancellation of the Olympic Box Hill News. I didn't pull any punches and told them my own name for LOCOG - Local Organised Chaos Optimisation Group i! All being well it should be in this weeks edition, which is out on Thursday. Should be interesting.

I was sitting on the tube this morning, reading my book, minding my own business, and the person sitting next to me decided it was okay to open their newspaper halfway across my lap as they flicked the pages over. I waited for a bit then, when it finally came to rest on my hand, I pushed it away and said "Do you mind?"

Grrrrrr. Some people! :banghead:

Annoying to say the least. When I had to take the bus downtown for work I honestly don't remember having anyone impinge on my space too much. But I was sitting in the corner reading, or napping. :) If I was napping, I suppose I didn't notice. hee hee

However, once on the streetcar I did see a young couple, er, engaging in intimacies. er, really. Right on St. Charles Avenue. I think no one knew what to say. So nothing was said. :blush2:

At least I now know who's getting my share Pontalba :smile: When I got to work this morning, I found a big sign on the brand new washing machines saying "please do not use" and a even bigger pile of overflowing bags of laundry. The machines had it seems been overheating. An engineer was duly called and found that while the pipes had been connected properly according to the back of the machine, the hot and cold outlets on the machines were labelled incorrectly by the manufacturer - i.e. the outlet that was labelled hot should have been labelled cold, and vice versa - we got it fixed in the end, so that 's what matters.

Not too much going on with me, i was meant to be doing the Race for Life today but because of all the bad weather its been posponed until September, which is good in a way as we can do lots more fundraising over the summer months.

I am just back from spain and its about 20 degrees cooler here than it was there where the average temp about midday was 38 (hot hot toooo hot) I had many siesta's and did a lot of reading and not a lot of sitting outside. So one question where is the sun and whats that watery stuff falling fom the sky????

back to work tommorow though boo hoo hoo....

At least I now know who's getting my share Pontalba :smile:

/giggle/ :D

I'm a true nightowl, husband is being trained. lol We'd gone to bed at almost 1 a.m., but I woke up around 5 and couldn't get back to sleep, came downstairs, and we ate a little breakfast, and by 7 went back to bed, boy, did I sleep! Log-like, till noon. I love being retired. :snowsign:

Had a heavy thunderstorm early today, it's been raining every day here lately, true summertime weather. At least that lets the a/c cut off more.

My elderly neighbour called me around 5 pm, urgently requesting that I pop round - she wanted me to see the little rabbit that has decided to make her garden their new home. This gorgeous little rabbit kept us captivated for a good 20 minutes. It truly is the simple things that can lift your day to greater heights. :smile:

I've been back in training again this week on how to answer calls to our helpline. Next week should be fun as they are letting me loose on live calls lol