Or She Dies - Gregg Hurwitz

ian

Synopsis.

Your morning paper arrives.

Tucked inside is a DVD.

You slip it into your television.

Images flash on the screen: you and your spouse - sleeping, waking, dressing - all filmed by cameras hidden in your house.

And then the message:

Go alone

Do what we say

Or she dies.

You don't know who they are. You don't know what they want. But you don't have a chioce.

My thoughts.

I hadn't read anything by this author before, so I had no idea what to expect beyond the blurb above. It's a well-paced thriller with enough "meat" to it to keep it interesting; it doesn't rely on cliffhanger chapters half a page long. So far so good.

The story starts with Patrick Davis, finding dvds in his morning paper showing him going to the bathroom, obviously filmed in, or just outside his house. There are also problems with his marriage that take some time to be explained. This set up means there is a lot of paranoia and a good, claustraphobic feel to the book, that kept me reading. Then (without giving anything away for those who haven't read it) the book takes what appears to be a complete left turn, that left me wondering where it was going.

As the story unfolds, the various reveals bring the story together. This maybe happens a touch too early, so that any other twists in the storyline I'd pretty much guessed at.

The book also has a very nice sub-theme of examining the culture of celebrity and the voyouristic nature of todays society.

I enjoyed this, and will certainly be on the lookout for anything else he has written

• 1 year later...

I'm just finishing up 'You're Next' by Gregg Hurwitz. Brilliant book. Keeps you absolutely riveted. Lots of suspense and some really clever twists and turns. Premier division stuff, this.

Will definitely be getting the others he has published.