The whys and whens of what we read

I find that when I have a lot on my mind I will seek crime fiction novels over any other genre. My theory for why I do this is that the process of crime solving in the books helps my brain get things sorted. :blush2:

So my question is this.....

Do you find yourself reading certain kinds of books at certain times e.g. when you have a lot on your mind? when you have family visiting? when facing a health crisis? when you are hungover? etc etc.

A little add on question. If you have answered yes to the above question, do you have any theories about why you read what you read?

I think my main reading habits stem from the state of my mojo at any given time - if it's strong, I'll dive into an 800 page piece of historical fiction. If it's weak, I'll read some Anna McPartlin or something lighter and easier to keep it chugging slowly along.

Beyond that - I read things for nostalgia. If I'm feeling nostalgic (about a person, an event, a point in my life) and there is a book associated with that (the person recommended it/loved it, I read it at a certain time (Like The Da Vinci Code on the plane to America) or childhood favourites) - I'll read them and it indulges that sense of nostalgia.

I do also like to get immersed in fantasy/children's fantasy if I feel I need to get away from this world for a while, because of stress or whatever. One of my favourites for that is The Coldfire Trilogy, but also Inkheart, Fleabag and The Ring Fire and His Dark Materials.

When I'm struggling with something difficult in life, whether my own personal issue or a family issue that I have to deal with (and I've had my fair share of them), I always go for the happy ending book. That could be a variety of things, children's books like Harry Potter, chick lit where the girl eventually gets her man, or something like a beloved favourite such as Pride & Prejudice. Something that will cheer me up, make me chuckle, make me smile and forget what life has dealt me for a brief period. Somewhere I can escape into a different life that gives me the hope that life can be better.

I have a thing for reading books, both fiction and non-fiction based in places I have visited recently. For example, I read Fatherland just after visiting Berlin for the first time. I think being able to recall what certain places look like easily due to recency helps me really get into the book.

Hmmm this is an interesting question. When I'm feeling low about something, I tend to read either something I've read before or something totally immersive like a well written fantasy (I spent the majority of my childhood reading and re-reading Harry Potter), but between those times I tend to go for a bit of everything, switching between classics and more modern fiction (any genre that takes my fancy at the time really) :)

I've always had a love of reading fantasy novels, and I think it could be partly to do with me wanting to escape my current life sometimes, and jump into someone else's for a chapter or three, even if they aren't real.

I love the idea that I can forget I am sick for a bit, and imagine what it would be like to be an assassin for awhile! (Robin Hobb Assassins Apprentice series).

I know for me, when I'm feeling down or stressed I can't read romances of any kind, even the well written ones I sometimes enjoy. I find myself getting really cynical about the story.

If I've got a heavy workload on with my studies I prefer something that I can really get into so it takes my mind off the study for a bit.

I don't think I go for a particular genre depending on my mood. Of course, I may do that unconciously, when looking at the pile of unread books before me. When escape is necessary; be it through stress, or anything else, any good book that I can immerse myself in will do the job.

Oh, that's an interesting question. I tend to pick my next book at random, but if I've just read something long or heavy going, I'll opt for something a bit light hearted. Sometimes I just get in the mood for a certain genre.

I find that when I have a lot on my mind I will seek crime fiction novels over any other genre. My theory for why I do this is that the process of crime solving in the books helps my brain get things sorted. :blush2:

I know for me, when I'm feeling down or stressed I can't read romances of any kind, even the well written ones I sometimes enjoy. I find myself getting really cynical about the story.

I have been in this situation for weeks now. I am quite stressed and distracted, and can't read anything with any type of romance or relationship in it at all. All I can read is crime fiction just now!

I don't want to derail this thread :blush2: but this reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend recently. I said that if I had had a bad day at work for example, I liked to watch a light-hearted film, probably a comedy, that made me laugh and didn't tax my brain too much. She said that if she had had a bad day at work, she preferred to watch something much more serious, such as Dead Man Walking or Schindler's List,because it helped her put her problems in perspective. (I personally think both of those films are terrific, but I really have to be in the right mood to watch them.) In a way, it's the same with books. A good 'comfort' author for me is Adriana Trigiani; her books are guaranteed to make me smile, but as I said earlier I tend to pick my books at random. I do have books that I look forward to reading though; I have a biography of Paul Newman on my shelf, which I am saving for my birthday week off from work, because I know I'll enjoy it (at least, I really hope I do!)

I currently can't read unless I'm all fine and feeling light and normal.

Earlier, I always picked up a Wodehouse to cheer me up. Now, I just can't seem to be able to read when I'm pre-occupied with something else.

And when I can read, like Laura, I pick the next one off the shelf.

The only books I seem to be in the mood for lately are light reads - preferably something really adventurous that takes me well away from my life and can keep me absorbed in another world.

I've been finding classics (which usually have a denser style of writing) and long books simply too daunting, which makes me feel like a 'light-weight' reader. Hopefully I'll get right back into it one day, when my life is calmer and happier. :)

I tend to just read what I fancy at the time, but I have noticed at busy times and times of stress I will go for a lighter read, maybe some YA reads or a little family saga or even some reasonable quality chick lit, in fact I just finished a Paige Toon book that a friend bought me for my birthday, not knowing what I like to read, it was pretty good actually and I found it very easy to pick up and put down without having to struggle to get back into it each time.. :)

At the moment I am struggling with my reading mojo, and have found the only things I seem to be able to read are a series of books related to the tv series Torchwood, a series I enjoyed. I can't even contemplate reading anything new, long or challenging so these stories, with chaaracters I know and scenarios I'm familiar with are ideal. This will work so long as I don't start fretting at what I'm NOT reading! I have a lot of stuff on my plate at the moment, so these fit into my crime fiction theory - alien crime in Wales! :giggle2:

I tend to drop back to children's / YA books quite often anyway, but they are my mainstay when I am physically under par, the stinking cold scenario.

At the times in my life I've been overwhelmed by events, I have usually turned to "comfort" reads. Books I've loved and admired the characters. Malevil by Robert Merle was my go-to book for that for a long time, and also Mary Stewart's Merlin series. These are all books where relationships were loving and intense. I guess I needed to know that was still possible.

Also when I was upset, I'd go back and reread Shirley Rousseau Murphy's Joe Grey series. Talking, crime solving "tough guy" cat. :D This woman knows cats! lol

Now that my life is more settled, I tend to be a bit more exploratory in my reading, perhaps delving into unknown waters. It's fun.

Chrissy

Great question !

When I choose a book , I'd say 9 times out of 10, if I am upset about something in my life, and I can MAKE myself read, I'll always pick a true crime. They are the only type books that can take me completely away from my situation . They don't tend to wander into areas that cause me more grief, like family situations, or health problems or money worries because of all your medical bills .

So although it sounds odd, true crime is the only thing I would be able to read during a rough time in my life . When things are REALLY rough, I can't concentrate at all on ANY book .

In normal everyday life if nothing huge is happening, I still stay away from the "sappy" books,but that has always been my tendency . I don't do SAP . I don't enjoy books that are simple-minded ,light-hearted fluffy type stuff that really has no point .

I normally like to read a book that will TEACH me something about life. I lean heavily on nonfiction for that,but there have also been some fiction authors who really dig down deep and tell a story that is heart-wrenching and painful and really hits home.

Severe family issues ,how to handle tragedy ,etc seem to be fiction books I lean towards. It's almost like if I keep on reading those, no matter how bad it might hurt inside, I need to expose those open wounds that are there ,read about someone else in a book who MAY be dealing in life with something I am . It helps me to know how another person might handle that situation in their life .

Even though it might be fiction, I think a lot of times ,fiction book ideas are taken possibly from the author's own life experiences ,so it makes it seem more real to me .

The older I get, the more serious -type books would be my choice,though .

My state of mind has a huge influence over what I read, but I think I do it unconsciously, so in a way it's a good way to gauge how well I'm coping. In the past, when I had bad depression I could only read very light, happy-ever-after stuff. It was a sort of escapism into a different safe world. The stronger I am mentally, the more I tend to read challenging books. But even so, it's good to alternate between books that need a lot of concentration and those that are a fun read.

Books are a huge comfort to people and a good coping mechanism, so I don't think anyone should feel guilty about what ever they read at any given time :friends0:

A few years ago I would have said that yes, my state of mind did determine in at least some ways what I read, as there are certain spiritual books that I used to (and occasionally do still) pick up for inspiration when I am feeling low or need guidance on certain things, but with regard to fiction, I would say that I read primarily to learn and experience new things. That is why I am enjoying the Reading Around the World Challenge so much, as it has and continues to give me many opportunities to do just that.

Escapism is fine and I am not against it, but for the most part I enjoy books that are shall we say, a bit more challenging and make me think and challenge my perceptions.