I come in peace

Jackdaw

Hello everyone !

My name is Megan, I’m a 25 year old French art student and future illustrator living in Lyon (Southeast France) and I’m very pleased to meet you :smile:

Because of my studies I haven’t read an entire book for quite a long time… But now I’m freeeee so I can read to my heart’s content! I mostly enjoy Science Fiction and Fantasy, but I’d like to broaden my horizons!

Let me see what I have in my bookcase to give you an example of what I like. What do we have here, hmmm, ok here goes :

Anne Mc Caffrey (loads), Audrey Niffenegger (not enough), Philip Pullman (loads), Patrick Rothfuss (want more !), China Miéville, Alex Bell, Maupassant (hello, you’re a bit lost aren’t you?), Neil Gaiman (the works), Trudi Canavan, Stephen King (far too many), Diana Wynne Jones, Terry Pratchett (ditto), Poe, Garth Nix, Lindsey Davis, Jean M. Auel, William Nicholson, Robert Rankin, and the odd Bradbury and Asimov for good measure.

I’d really like to sink my teeth into good old science fiction classics, but they’re all halfway across France in my mother’s house and the nearest English bookshop is… well… far away.

So… I need pointers ! Where to start? I could also randomly order whatever picks my fancy on Amazon but who knows what I might end up with… Last time I tried that I ended up with Mordant’s Need by Stephen Donaldson, cough, splutter, violent shudder, groaaaaaaan (did not like the flimsy heroine).

My favourite books to read over and over again, to feel better and remember that the world is actually quite nice are : Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis, Neverwhere, Stardust, Coraline, The Graveyard Book and American Gods by Neil Gaiman (sorry, couldn’t just pick one…), Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett, The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, and Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.

I also enjoy eating food, sleeping, breathing, movie watching, drawing trolls and fairy tale beasties, (putting things in parenthesis), making lists and keeping plants alive (mostly alive). I am the proud owner of a book-eating rabbit.

Hello and welcome! I think you will love it here, I just hope you have enough room on your shelves for all the great recommendations you will get from here. :D

Edited by Devi

Hello Jackdaw,

Welcome to the forum - lovely to read about you.

There's a whole section of sci-fi and fantasy here, in case you haven't seen it yet : link

And is that deer in your avatar one of your creations? It's beautiful.

Edited by bree

Thanks for the warm welcome !

Devi, if I don't have enough room on my shelves, I can always rediscover the wonderful world of towering book piles !

Ben, have you ever tried to tame a rabbit?? They may seem all sweet and fluffy but they are crafty little devils. Mine has made it quite clear that anything on the floor belongs to her and therefore shall be eaten.

Thanks for the link bree ! I'm only just discovering the forum :blush2: Yes I did draw that deer in my avatar, thank you for the compliment !

Hello Megan, welcome. I love rabbits.

Howl's Moving Castle is a book? :o I have seen the film twice with the kids. I never knew, I will have to read this now.

If you like Sci Fi and fantasy how about Jack Vance?

Yes Howl's Moving Castle is a book ! A great book too ! Large bits of the story were removed for the film, and though the film works just fine, I really like the book better.

That's funny, I've been poking around the forum for a little over a day and I've already come to associate your name and avatar to Jack Vance, vodkafan :D ! I've never read anything by Jack Vance before, where would you recommend I start? :smile:

That's funny, I've been poking around the forum for a little over a day and I've already come to associate your name and avatar to Jack Vance, vodkafan :D ! I've never read anything by Jack Vance before, where would you recommend I start? :smile:

The Blue World!