Moonchild's Book Blog 2007

Moonchild

Will keep this updated as I go along.

APRIL: The Time Waster Letters - Robin Cooper (6/10)

Past Secrets - Cathy Kelly (7/10)

MAY: Walking Ollie - Winning the love of a difficult dog by Stephen Foster (6/10)

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath (5/10)

Karma - Holly A Harvey (7/10)

The Twins at St Clares - Enid Blyton (6/10)

A Day Called Hope - Gareth O'Callaghan (7/10)

Don't Wake Me At Doyles - Maura Murphy (8/10)

My Sisters Keeper - Jodi Picoult (9/10)

Always & Forever - Cathy Kelly (6/10)

The Tenth Circle - Jodi Picoult (8/10)

The O'Sullivan Twins - Enid Blyton (6/10)

My Cousin Rachel - Daphne Du Maurier (9/10)

JUNE:The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - Muriel Spark(5/10)

The Vanishing Act Of Esme Lennox - Maggie O'Farrell (7/10)

Best of Friends - Cathy Kelly

TBR List

Sue Elliott

Wasn't sure how it was going to go with Past Secrets as I'm getting a bit bored with chick lit but after a bit of a slow start I got really into it & it turned out a really enjoyable read. I rate Cathy Kelly as being up there as one of the best authors of the chick lit genre at the moment.

Started Walking Ollie tonight. Am only a few pages in so I'll reserve judgement as yet. Just hope there's no sad bits in it or I'll be blubbering away :D

Should get through this one pretty quickly as it's quite short.

I have read walking Ollie as being the owner of a naughty lurcher with saluki in it it is a must for me!!!

I really enjoyed it even though some parts wanted to make me scream at him - but all dog owners make mistakes!!!

Don' worry it is not like Marley and me which is on my TBR pile - you will not need tissues!!!

Walking Ollie sounds like one i would like to read. Glad it's not like Marley & Me I wept buckets over that one :D

It is cheap in tesco at the moment :D

Have you read Emma and I by Sheila Hocken

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emma-I-Sheila-Hocken/dp/0751506745/ref=sr_1_5/026-9874913-3287651?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178108458&sr=1-5

A really good series of books about Sheila and her guide dog Emma

Finished Walking Ollie today while lying out in the sun after work :D

Nice easy read & being the owner of a sometimes boisterous pup, I could relate to a lot of it! Overall an enjoyable read.

i really want to read Marley & me but I'm banning myself! By the sound of it it's too heartbreaking for me. Can't bear reading anything sad about animals - it would haunt me for ages :D

Have started The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath this evening.

Delivery from Amazon today too!

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - Ken Kesey

Jeeves Omnibus No 1 - PG Wodehouse

Swallows & Amazons - Arthur Ransome

Prozac Nation - Elizabeth Wurtzel

Now I just have to get around to building the new bookcase I bought recently to house the rapidly expanding TBR pile!

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't get as much read on holiday as I'd hoped. Still, managed to make a slight dent in the TBR pile:readingtwo:

Finished Karma by Holly A Harvey. Really enjoyed this one. Chick lit with a bit of a difference. Down to earth characters that I could relate to and had me howling with laughter in places. Highly recommended to all those who haven't read it.

Also finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Was really disappointed with this one. Had high hopes for it after reading loads of good reviews. I'm not entirely sure why I didn't really enjoy it... I think it was to do with the style of writing. Too short and not enough detail possibly.

A Day Called Hope by Gareth O'Callaghan. Autobiography of the Irish author and broadcaster dealing with the years he suffered with depression. A good read.

Don't Wake Me At Doyles by Maura Murphy. The memoirs of an Irish lady from her early childhood in rural Ireland in the early 1900's up to the present, documenting her struggle with poverty, an abusive husband and her battle with cancer. I really enjoyed this one.

The Twins At St Clares - Enid Blyton. Have bought the box set of the St Clares books and this is the first in the series. Going back and re-reading some of my childhood favourites:) Another good read.

My Sisters Keeper - Jodi Picoult. Wow!! What can I say...? My first book by this author but most certainly not my last. Couldn't stop turning the pages, I was hooked from page 1. Probably the best book I've read in a long time and definitely gets you thinking. Can't wait to read more by Picoult.

I'm now reading Always and Forever by Cathy Kelly my chunky challenge for this month. Really liking it so far - have managed to read half of it already and only started it last night. B)

Glad you liked Karma.

Strange how different styles appeal to different people. I have nearly finished the Bell Jar...should finish it tonight. I am really enjoying it. It reminds me of Prozac World a little, but having thought about it, the content is the same and based in America, so maybe thats why. It's our book of the month at our local group. I will be interested to see what other group members make of it at the next meeting on Tuesday.

Pp

I didn't dislike The Bell Jar. I'm not really sure what it was. I think maybe it wasn't the book itself, it's just I don't particularly like short books. I prefer chunkies that I can really get into - where I can get to know the characters inside out and where's there's lots of detail. Where I can almost be a part of it all and get totally lost inside the pages whilst I'm reading it. Most shorter books just don't do that for me. B)

Finished Always and Forever. Not as good as the last Cathy Kelly I read, Past Secrets. Always and Forever was slightly veering toward the type of chick lit I don't like - where the characters dress in the latest high fashion designer clothing thats described in great detail, the main characters all have high powered jobs - just generally not the down to earth fiction that I can easily relate to. Still, it was an easy read and in the main quite enjoyable.

I've now started Jodi Picoult's The Tenth Circle which I'm loving. Only started yesterday but already I'm half way through after staying up til 4am reading! She's fast becoming my favourite author at the moment. This is only my second book of hers but I've just bought a few more off ebay which I can't wait to devour. B)

I would suggest that you are careful, I have read 5 by her, two blew me away and were great, My Sisters Keeper and Nineteen Minutes and boy did they make me think! Two others Mercy and Plain Truth have stayed with me and I think about lots but one Salem Falls left me cold and put me off!

I absolutely loved Daphne Du Maurier's 'My Cousin Rachel'. Reminded me a lot of 'Rebecca' - it had a similar dark, mysterious atmosphere about it. Will undoubtedly end up as one of my top 2007 reads.

Next was Muriel Spark's 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie'. Strange little tale but funny in places. Quite liked it but just no more than an average rating. To be honest I think the only reason I stuck with it was because it was so short, if this had been a chunky read I think I'd have given up on it.

Not sure what's next on my list... decisions, decisions...:sleeping-smiley-009

Have now finished Maggie O'Farrell - The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox. Really enjoyed this one. Quite a sad story and thought provoking.

As for the next book, would you believe although I've 130+ books in my TBR pile, i can't find a book to read :tong:

I've already picked up 3 today and read a little then decided "I'm not in the mood to read this one at the moment." Must be the hot weather. :sleeping-smiley-009