James Dean - the Movie Star

muggle not

Are there any fans of James Dean on the forum? Actually, are there any on the forum that have ever seen a James Dean movie. Dean only played in three major movies as the main star and two of the movies were released "AFTER" his death at the age of 24.

East of Eden

Rebel Without a Cause (released after his death)

Giant (released after his death)

Yes, I like James Dean, especially in Giant. Actually I think I was born in the wrong era for film stars. All my favourites (apart from Jeff Bridges) are no longer with us. :(

I am sure there would be some disagreement but there is no doubt IMO that it was the Golden Age of movies and movie stars.

I believe my favorite of the 3 films was Rebel Without a Cause. James Dean, Natalie Wood, and Sal Mineo were in the movie.

Off-topic.....I had a friend (not a real close friend) that looked a little like James Dean and he was also killed in a car accident a little after Dean had his accident.

I've only ever seen Rebel, but I loved it. We did it as part of my media studies class (although I'd already seen in a couple of times before that too), but I've never seen the other two. I've always meant to, but I've never got round to it. He showed such great promise - his tragic death at an early age robbed us of an actor who had the potential to go absolutely stellar. Sadly, we'll never know how far he might have gone, or how hard he might have fallen. He will forever remain a stunningly beautiful and talented young man who was stolen from us too soon. :(

I've only ever seen Rebel, but I loved it. We did it as part of my media studies class (although I'd already seen in a couple of times before that too), but I've never seen the other two. I've always meant to, but I've never got round to it. He showed such great promise - his tragic death at an early age robbed us of an actor who had the potential to go absolutely stellar. Sadly, we'll never know how far he might have gone, or how hard he might have fallen. He will forever remain a stunningly beautiful and talented young man who was stolen from us too soon. :(

You pretty much hit it on the nose. We will never know. James Dean was selected for the role in East of Eden over Paul Newman. Both are two of my favorite actors. Paul Newman was a very good person aside from his acting career. In any case James Dean's legacy has lasted many a year for only acting in 3 major movies. It brings to mind 4 actors that were more or less beginning their career, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Steve McQueen (another that I liked), and James Dean.

I love Paul Newman too :) I remember being sad when he died - not only was he a generous and talented actor, but he was a good man as well. I enjoyed The Towering Inferno with Newman and McQueen (they did not get on well in real life apparently). It also starred two more of my favourites - William Holden - an under-rated and excellent actor - and Fred Astaire.

The tragedy with James Dean is that he had so much potential, which is clear from the roles he played. And he never got to fulfill that potential. Oneof his co-stars in Giant, was Rock Hudson, who also died in tragic circumstances :(

I love Paul Newman too :) I remember being sad when he died - not only was he a generous and talented actor, but he was a good man as well. I enjoyed The Towering Inferno with Newman and McQueen (they did not get on well in real life apparently). It also starred two more of my favourites - William Holden - an under-rated and excellent actor - and Fred Astaire. The tragedy with James Dean is that he had so much potential, which is clear from the roles he played. And he never got to fulfill that potential. Oneof his co-stars in Giant, was Rock Hudson, who also died in tragic circumstances :(

William Holden brings to mind the movie "Picnic". He and Kim Novak both played great parts in a very good movie.

Yes!! Picnic is a terrific film. I love him in Sunset Boulevard as well. And The Bridge on the River Kwai, of course :)

Re James Dean - although he only made three films, what fabulous films they were! It's good that he has remained in the public consciousness for so long, over 50 years since his death.

Yes!! Picnic is a terrific film. I love him in Sunset Boulevard as well. And The Bridge on the River Kwai, of course :) Re James Dean - although he only made three films, what fabulous films they were! It's good that he has remained in the public consciousness for so long, over 50 years since his death.

Yes, James Dean has certainly endured. He has been in the lyrics of more songs than anyone else that I know, probably at least 30 to 50 songs. Don McLean mentioned Dean in his great, great song American Pie, The Eagles recorded a song titled :

"James Dean" - with a line that goes......You were too fast to live, too young to die.