Eurovision Song Contest 2012

Kell

LOL, nice enthusiasm, everyone!

Kell, are you going to do your usual summing up of the various entrants? I occasionally watch bits and pieces, but we usually get delayed coverage (as in, delayed by a week!) so if you think there's any bands particularly worth watching, I'd love to hear your views and of course your predictions on who will win. :)

Eurovision is a strange thing for me. I usually feel like the differences between us (Oz) and Europe are relatively small, but Eurovision makes me feel very much like a foreigner. :blush2:

I'll not be doing my usual round-up, but my hubby is blogging it all. Google Smurfing the web and you'll find it. He's done a comprehensive series of blog posts in the run up to Eurovision week whichnis rather good, so I'LL didn't feel the need to do it this year - LOL! :-)

I actually really like the Maltese entry this year (apart from the one tiny bit with the dodgy female vocal). I especially love their wiggly feet dance - it's ace! :)

We've gone into Eurovision overdrive in this house - we're all excited about the final! :) Can hardly wait to see how Hump does - he's my new hero. :)

I don't watch Eurovision song contests but I have a few comments. Finns were betting on the Russian Grannies to win, I think they were well liked and people thought they'd win. Hence the betting.

I usually dislike the songs that Finland comes up with, and I don't usually like many of the songs by other countries either. However, yesterday I was listening to the radio while having dinner with my parents and they played this song in Swedish. I listened to the lyrics and I thought the song was pretty beautiful. Then we discovered that the radio show was actually about the Eurovision song contest, they played songs from all the years past. Today I googled the Finnish contestant Pernilla and the lyrics to her song, and it was actually the song we heard yesterday. I can't believe I actually liked it :blush:

I watched Eurovision last night and I can't say that I was surprised that the U.K came so low in points, because it's all politics these days.

I did think that the Russian grannies were hilarious and I hate to admit it, but I thought Jedward's song was rather catchy . I'm not very well at the moment, so it must be the Strepsils talking. :P

I was disappointed for Hump coming second last - it was a lovely song and he sang the hell out of it. Annoyed that th eterrible Russian Grannies did so well - they were a joke entry and it was awful on every level. If it had been a bunch of 25-y-o hotties singing it like that, it never would have got past the semi finals. I also think they got sympathy votes because of the back story.

We weren't actually surprised to see Sweden win it because they marketed the hell out of that song and it hit the top of the charts in several countries in the run up to the fnial. Sweden is also one of the very few countries that could afford to host it next year.

As for Jedward, I agree with Karen - it was a catchy tune and they actually performed it very well. Their team were clever enough to do what worked last year - they got backing singers who can really sing and can help keep the boys' voices in line a little (because they're really not good singers at all!). They always have such energy it's hard not to get infected by their enthusiasm. I didn't like their song quite as much as the one they had last year, but they performed it much better than anyone could have expected. I sincerely hope that they represent Ireland for many years to come as they embody the spirit of Eurovision more than any other act I've seen on there in years.

Serbia really deserved the #2 spot - his voice is amazing, the song was good and the performance was awesome. If it hadn't been for the stupid Russian Grannies, he would have easily nabbed #2 in their stead.

I was disappointed for Hump coming second last - it was a lovely song and he sang the hell out of it. Annoyed that th eterrible Russian Grannies did so well - they were a joke entry and it was awful on every level. If it had been a bunch of 25-y-o hotties singing it like that, it never would have got past the semi finals. I also think they got sympathy votes because of the back story.

We weren't actually surprised to see Sweden win it because they marketed the hell out of that song and it hit the top of the charts in several countries in the run up to the fnial. Sweden is also one of the very few countries that could afford to host it next year.

As for Jedward, I agree with Karen - it was a catchy tune and they actually performed it very well. Their team were clever enough to do what worked last year - they got backing singers who can really sing and can help keep the boys' voices in line a little (because they're really not good singers at all!).

I think that Jedward's singing has improved a little.....although judging what they were like before, that's not saying much.

Also I think that one of the problems with Hump's song was that although lovely, it was very old fashioned.

So Hump was a popular choice for the UK's entry?

I am watching the final now, but I only just remembered it was on so I only caught the last couple of songs in full. Yes, we get it way after the event, so of course I already know who won, but I don't mind because I'm not that into it.

Hey, was the chick from Cyprus standing on a table made of books? They're just recapping all the performances (damn, I missed the grannies that everyone's talking about).

Actually, statistics show that being on first isn't so bad. You're most likely to win if you're in the second half, it is true, and the position from which most winners have come is last, but after that, the most winners have come from the first performance. Most notably, the UK won it in 1976 when Brotherhood of Man performed Kisses For Me - they were the first performers of the evening. :) Of course, there are now a LOT more acts than there were in 1976 - LOL!

Maureen, what's happened to Malta.. why don't you love us any more?! We gave you 5 points! ;)

We still love you! (I am actually quite amazed you did not get any of our points) It's just that we don't really like the Hump - too much of a bygone era, I guess.