The Immortal Rules, by Julie Kagawa

I posted this review on goodreads and on my blog, so I thought I might post here, too. =)

]

10215349.jpg

Allison Sekemoto fights for survival everyday in the Fringe. She lives in a city where the Vampires rule, and their first rule is human is cattle: registered to be food source. Allison can't stand Vampires, can't stand be used by them, and tries to survive being a unregistered human, fleeing and stealing everyday. One night, when she and her partners are seeking food, they are brutally attacked by the Rabids - beings that were attacked by Vampires and caught a disease -, and Allison has to choose if she dies or turns into what she abhors.

This is just the beggining of this new Julie Kagawa's series, great author of The Iron Fey series. With vampires and dystopia, Julie managed to write a story full of action, fear and growth, and a little bit of naiveness and love. The narrative is structured by Allison's view, and she's a fighter and a loyal friend. It's very interesting see her figure it out the things of the past, since her world is permeated by the plague of vampires and rabids, and try to understand how was the world before hers.

The main point for me in this book is Allison's constant doubt about what she is. She's always thought the vampires as bloodsuckers monsters, but what now, that she is one of them? She is also a monster? She is what she is or she is what she makes of her? Besides all the action and adrenalin parts (believe me, a lot!), Allison's growth is also something that is built through the story. She's very captivating, strong, loyal, determined. Moreover, all the characters are captivating. Every one of them surprise me, some way.

I liked very much how Julie built her dystopic and vampirish world. It's a mix of new and old characteristics, new details, very well constructed. The dystopic world description is very good, intricated with the characters' situations and point of view. A lot of questions were left for the coming books, but even so the story presented on this book has a closing.

I didn't like the cover, although it's related to the story. And I liked a lot to imagine theories about how the story will develop from the series' name! Congratulations for this great new series debut, Julie Kagawa!

Edited by marypaixao

Thanks for the review - I've been seeing this on twitter, and as you've seen, it's in my wishlist. I also fancy the Iron Fey series. Sigh, too many good looking books, not enough time!

so many books, so little time = story of my life =)