Katrina1968's Summer Reading List

Katrina1968

As a full time college student (double English/History major) I find my outside reading has been cut til dang near nil. SO I am doing something I haven't done since I went back to school ('09), I am taking the summer off and I'm going to READ want I WANT TO!!

Here's my list of summer reading

Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell

Roots, Alex Haley

Queenie, Alex Haley

These are all southern literary books and they are very "heavy" reading but oh how I"m going to enjoy them!

Another book that I will read over the summer is Moby Dick and The Scarlet Letter as they are books I'll be reading in the fall. I can take my time with them and have a working knowledge of them before class resumes. Even if I don't finish I will still be ahead!

Katrina

I've read the first 2 . Gone With the Wind is definitely a classic, and since I like reading books that take place during theCivil War, I liked reading a little bit more about what life was like during those years . The only thing I thought was a little tedious was the "romance " part of the book ,which was a pretty big part. I just don't do romance novels ,but in order to read the book, you have to dodge in and out amongst the romance to get to the rest of the story .

Roots was absolutely fantastic. LOVED every single bit of it ! Hope you will too ! Good luck on your summer reading list. It's nice to read for enjoyment ,rather than as an assignment,isn't it ?

I've added a few more books to my summer reading list!

Black Majority:Negroes in Colonial South Carolina from 1670 Through the Stono Rebellion by Peter H. Wood

A Black Virginia Family after the Civil War; My Father's Name by Lawrence P. Jackson

Discovery of Witches (don't have the book in front of me)