One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson

happyanddandy

This is the second of her Jackson Brodie murder mysteries and it is a very enjoyable read. It is set in Edinburgh during the festival and those of you familiar with the region and venue will recognize the descriptions of various landmarks probably adding to the enjoyment.

Atkinson describes her characters in great detail and there are several who have different stories to relate that interconnect in a very clever way indeed. You have to concentrate and remind yourself who is who especially at the beginning. It's best to read chunks at a time otherwise you can lose the thread.

Still one of my favourite authors:D

I adored this book! Definitely going to end up being a highlight of my reading year. I bought it my mum for Christmas as she loves Kate Atkinson, and I've bought her Case Histories for her upcoming birthday.

Do you think she'll do anymore 'Jackson Brodie' novels? I hope so!

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that One Good Turn was especially amazing for me as I don't read crime novels!!

I adored this book! Definitely going to end up being a highlight of my reading year. I bought it my mum for Christmas as she loves Kate Atkinson, and I've bought her Case Histories for her upcoming birthday.

Do you think she'll do anymore 'Jackson Brodie' novels? I hope so!

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that One Good Turn was especially amazing for me as I don't read crime novels!!

I usually would not choose crime novels either - I don't like reading about violence especially, and that bit in the book did put me off a bit. Having read 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum' and loving it spurred me on to read 'Case Histories' and 'One Good Turn' and I'm so glad I did. I think she will go on to write more as they are so successful and maybe she will use the female policewoman Louise as the main character.

I think she will go on to write more as they are so successful and maybe she will use the female policewoman Louise as the main character.

I'd love it if she did use Louise - I thought she was hilarious! And very sympathetic too...

When she was thinking about her old cat and then when he died... Oh I had a tear in my eye!

I'd love it if she did use Louise - I thought she was hilarious! And very sympathetic too...

When she was thinking about her old cat and then when he died... Oh I had a tear in my eye!

Yes me too and the bit about her 14 year old really made me chuckle and to empathise with my my own 14 year old.

It really did hit the spot!!:)

(Off topic, but since you started the thread: I noticed that you're reading Jodi Picoult - I read a really good article/interview yesterday you may be interested in. Find it here)

Yes I am already riveted with JP which I started yesterday.

Gosh thanks for that article - it was really interesting and topical what with the school shooting in the USA. I don't have a Sunday paper as I usually haven't finished Saturdays Guardian!

I shall look forward to her new book - sounds as though it might be like 'We Need to Talk About Kevin'.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...