Summer Olympics

Katrina1968

Thanks Brian. Well, I got part of the name right. ;)

I know next to nothing about Pendleton, but it's a shame she has been struggling. At least she can leave knowing she's done her country proud. :)

Wow, I didn't realise BMX racing was an Olympic sport! I think it might be new?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end it did look as though VP's overriding emotion is relief to be done with competative cycling. Without doubt she is massively emotional and has had a real hard time dealing with the mental aspect of sport. Part fo me wonders if she only carried onto London 2012 because she felt obliged to rather than actually really wanting to do it.

Yeah, from what she said to Lineker last night it seems that those around her pretty much talked her into carrying on. She seemed glad that they did though, so she got the chance to finish in front of a home crowd.

Just watched the BMX seeding. Not particularly exciting - that comes next round when there's eight riders on the track at the same time. Reminds me of the snowboard cross in the Winter Olympics, which is great fun. I'm pretty sure that Beijing was the first time BMX was included.

The Handball has been quite exciting today. Felt really sorry for Spain, going out to the very last play of the game.

Can someone please tell me where the sailing is taking place? It was mentioned on the telly earlier but I (think I) missed it. Is it Plymouth or something? I must admit to seeing next to nothing of the sailing because I've been far more interested in looking at the coastline and the pretty row of buildings just behind the beach that look alike. :)

As Brian's already said it's at Weymouth, which is about 15 miles away from the beach in my avatar piccie! It's a lovely place, but when I was down there last year the front was a little bit shabby, understandable as the salty sea air is not good for building paintwork, so it looks like they've spent some money on sprucing the place up a bit. Will be going down later in the year again, so can't wait to see how much it's improved! :)

I'm watching the hockey at the moment, and visibly winced when one of the NZ players got smacked around the back of her head when trying to tackle another player from the wrong side. She had to go off the pitch as it was bleeding quite badly, but she's been subbed back on now (albeit with what looks like an Elastoplast swimming cap!), so thankfully not too badly hurt.

I only got to see bits of the seeding but it didn't look that exciting can't wait for the proper race though very much like the snowboard cross from what I can gather.

I watched a doc on Pendelton and it seems she lived very much for her emotions its how she performed at her best by using what she was feeling to her advantage, sometimes though it obviously can go wrong. Great ambassador for her sport though.

About the Personality of the year, I still think it should be Bradley because of what he has achieved somthing no other Brit has done as well as win a gold medal a couple of weeks later. I did totally disagree with something that Denise Lewis said the other day about there should be a separate category for men and women in the programme particularly in an Olympic Year but to me that is just taking a step backwards surely the point is to get womens sport on equal footing with the mens, both by being promoted and shown more on the tv. Every Olympics I wonder where the sports not normally seen dissapear too as they are not shown on the mainstream channels and are great fun but if its not mens football or rugby so good luck finding it.

Not sure if it's available on Freeview, but British Eurosport is good for non mainstream sports usually, pickle. Over the winter months, for example, I watched a few different skiing events like biathlon and cross country, and looking at next weeks schedule they've got coverage of Tour of Spain cycling, equestrian, and triathlon.

And good on Sally Pearson for winning gold too. Another lovely girl. :) We have also won a gold in sailing and will win another today because apparently we have an unassailable lead in a sailing event.

Well done to Sally :smile: .. that was an awesome race. Glad to see Australia climbing the medal table (fast) but have been cheering for every Finnish athlete too because it would be lovely to see Finland get a Gold medal.

Typical

Can someone please tell me where the sailing is taking place? It was mentioned on the telly earlier but I (think I) missed it. Is it Plymouth or something? I must admit to seeing next to nothing of the sailing because I've been far more interested in looking at the coastline and the pretty row of buildings just behind the beach that look alike. :)

Weymouth was one of Jane Austen's favourite watering holes :) she places her characters there quite often .. most famously it's where Frank Churchill met Jane Fairfax.

I'd also vote for Bradley Wiggins. It's difficult, and it almost seems like hard luck on everybody for peaking at the same time (but that was always likely London 2012) but what he has achieved in one year is phenomenal.

If Mo wins the 5,000 .. will he become Sir Mo?

You know I am enjoying watching quite a few of the sports on the red buton on the bbc, the only problem is when its one of the other field events for example there is no commentary so I have no idea who the person is and where they stand in the rankings sometimes...a little frustrating but my only bug bear with the coverage...

Chesil i know they do have more on eurosport but unfortunately its one of the channels I would have to pay for and at the moment anything extra is out of my league...

Misty May and Kerri Walsh of the U.S. won gold in Beach Volleyball. It was their 3 straight gold medal and they have won 21 consecutive matches over 3 Olympics. misty may has stated she will retire. misty is 35 and Kerri, I believe, is 34 years old. They are truly legends of the sport.

Open water swimming looks difficult .. bad enough having to swim that far and watch out for elbows but swallowing all that pond water as well :help: .. love the 'feeding time at the zoo' bit :D Apparently in Beijing there were dead dogs in the water so at least they haven't got that to contend with. Come on Keri-Anne! :smile:

Womens boxing is not a sport I could ever watch, as I don't like boxing in general, but this was a great win for Britain, especially since it is a new sport that has never been represented at the Olympics before.

Looking forward to seeing Bolt run later on tonight !

I do wish Gary Lineker would stop interrupting people giving their technical input. He did it last night when Dave Brailsford was getting into his stride discussing their approach to training and he has just done it when Michael Johnson was explaining something about tonight's 200m final.

:banghead:

I do wish Gary Lineker would stop interrupting people giving their technical input. He did it last night when Dave Brailsford was getting into his stride discussing their approach to training and he has just done it when Michael Johnson was explaining something about tonight's 200m final.

:banghead:

I don't even know why Lineker's involved - he's awful! Michael Johnson is a legend - brilliant athlete and a thoroughly decent chap (and, for my money, he's the only one of the BBC's athletics pundits who actually talks any sense).

It might just be me but I can't help but feel that the 'nightshift' line up of Lineker, Denise Lewis and Colin Jackson are the worst pundits/presenters they have had. Johnson is superb as was Ian Thorpe even when asked about sports other than swimming. The cycling coverage has been superb and getting Ed Leigh to do the more 'edgy' sports like BMX has been a great move. They should have stuck either Jake Humpries, Gabby Logan or Clare Balding in the studio in the place of Lineker.

Michael Johnson is a legend - brilliant athlete and a thoroughly decent chap (and, for my money, he's the only one of the BBC's athletics pundits who actually talks any sense).

I like him but he's a little too holier than thou for me and a bit joyless. I didn't agree with him about Carl Lewis either. I agree with you about Lineker but quite like most of the others .. especially Clare because it's like a friend is talking to you (though .. I didn't like her swimming analysis if I'm honest).

Completely agree I think Michael Johnson is a legend, he asks insightful questions doesn't rise to childish gags but demonstrates a good sense of humour. Cannot stand John Inverdale or Linnekar. Loved Thorpe he has some mad stary eyes doesn't he!!! Clare Balding is just so funny. I love the late Olympic round up show its usually such a laugh.

Really looking forward to Bolt tonight hope its as good a race as its being built up to.

Rudisha did something that athletes rarely do and said before hand that he was going all out to break his own world record. He did this in a really humble way, it wasnt brash or cocky just an assured confident statement.

I watched a bit of the mens and women's Taekwondo today on the screen at the gym. I must say that it doesn't come across well on the telly, you can't see the skill involved and it just looks rather scrappy and messy. Hardly any combinations being used either, just players feinting, looking for an opening and then coming together for a single kick. I was a bit disappointed. I am sure that when I last competed about 25 years back (the rules were constantly evolving then) there used to be a rule that players were penalised if they did not throw a certain number of kicks during a round?