Summer Olympics

Katrina1968

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, congratulations to the Brownlee brothers, and all the other medalists. So nice to see some positive role models in the media for a change.

I watched the men's gymnastics pommel horse final the other day. I was just mesmerised by it - incredible.

Well done to Laura Trott .. brilliant and well done to the Brownlee brothers also :) Another great day.

Oops and the Equestrian team .. especially the horses .. they are fantastic :)

Edited by poppyshake

Chris Hoy :D that was thrilling. Well done to the cycling team :) So sad to see some of the athletes fail to qualify earlier and pull up with injuries .. they work towards it for four years and then at the last moment something goes wrong. Gutted for Goldie Sayers (javelin) .. she was heartbroken :( it's so hard especially as it's a home games and so many are succeeding).

Congrats to Anna Meares on her gold medal - thoroughly deserved on the day. I thought, after she under-performed in the Keirin, she would probably strike back. Shame Vicky couldn't go out with a third gold, but a gold and a silver is not too shabby! :D

Laura Trott was brilliant :D

Chris Hoy . . . thought for a moment he'd lost it, but wow. Legend :cool:

I don't think Bradley Wiggins is such a shoo-in for Sports Personality any more, what with Chris Hoy, Jess Ennis etc :smile:

I don't think Bradley Wiggins is such a shoo-in for Sports Personality any more, what with Chris Hoy, Jess Ennis etc :smile:

They've got their work cut out this year ... Mo as well .. and Andy Murray. I think Jess might get it, Chris has won it before (but then people have won it twice) but goodness, it'll be hard to choose.

Fantastic nail biting finish to the track cycling I was shouting at the tv when Chris Hoy was cycling phew I can take no more of this!!!!

Likewise :lol: I'm wondering what's going to catch my interest now that the rowing and the cycling has ended, cos I'm not really into athletics. BMX maybe?

Coach of the year has to go to Dave Brailsford, what his team(s) have achieved this year has been simply remarkable.

Good call, especially as the rules were changed to stop one country dominating, after the medals they won in Beijing . . . :doh::giggle2:

Sorry haven't been joining in with this thread...right up my street too, just back from hols yestereday and have to say I have wasted half the holiday time watching the telly and us winning medals....FANTASTIC.

A lot of our medals have had Scots win them too, which makes me even happier :giggle2: We were watching Andy Murray in the Sports Plaza at Center Parcs and you should have heard the cheer that went up when he won his gold, was like being there. Shame they didn't manage the double gold but a worthy silver was good too.

And Sir Chris Hoy today....well what can I say except what a 'legend' and such a humble guy...no big headedness about him at all. I was in tears during the race, after the race, and then when he got his medal...and showing his mum and dad...how proud they must be. I started again then when Sir Steve Redgrave came down to see him. Very proud day for the whole GB team they certainly have been piling in the medals.

The two brothers in the Triathlon too.....my what stamina. How many times has that happened two brothers winning medals in the same event!

Congrats to all our medal winners. :smile:

And as usual, Sweden does great in sports that you can pretty much only see during Olympics. 7 medels (so far at least), in sailing (star & laser), wrestling, triathlon, eventing and double trap shooting.

I just finished watching the best match that I have seen in Beach Volleyball. The U.S. women were losing in the first set by 6 points but came back to win the set, Kerri Walsh was fabulous. In the 2nd set it was close and the Chinese had a 1 point lead when the U.S. came back to win. The Chinese were very good. Next is the finals where the U.S. play for gold.

Is the Sports Personality award related to the Olympics or the year of sport in general? If the latter, I'd like to see Wiggins get it. I know the Olympics is supposed to override other achievements, but winning a race that goes for 3 weeks and several thousand kilometres shouldn't be forgotten! And he won gold in the Olympics too. :)

I'm so glad Anna Meares won last night. It must have been extra hard knowing that nearly the entire crowd was rooting for the opposition. I don't know if it was mentioned there, but Anna was involved in a road accident before Beijing that left her with a broken neck and a couple of millimetres away from being paralysed for life. So last night's victory was so sweet for her and seeing her emotion made me cry. I missed the live race unfortunately, and when I finally got to see the replay, even though I knew the outcome, I was still on the edge of my seat. :)

And good on Sally Pearson for winning gold too. Another lovely girl. :) We have also won a gold in sailing and will win another today because apparently we have an unassailable lead in a sailing event.

Is the Sports Personality award related to the Olympics or the year of sport in general? If the latter, I'd like to see Wiggins get it. I know the Olympics is supposed to override other achievements, but winning a race that goes for 3 weeks and several thousand kilometres shouldn't be forgotten! And he won gold in the Olympics too. :)

It's for sport in general, Kylie, so yeah, I agree with you. It's one of those phone vote things, though, so you're never sure how it's going to go.

I'm so glad Anna Meares won last night. It must have been extra hard knowing that nearly the entire crowd was rooting for the opposition. I don't know if it was mentioned there, but Anna was involved in a road accident before Beijing that left her with a broken neck and a couple of millimetres away from being paralysed for life. So last night's victory was so sweet for her and seeing her emotion made me cry. I missed the live race unfortunately, and when I finally got to see the replay, even though I knew the outcome, I was still on the edge of my seat. :)

Yeah, I'd heard about her accident, pretty incredible. I was pleased to hear (from Vicky during an interview last night) that the so-called 'bitter rivalry' between them is just a media concoction - they really do try to stir things up :rolleyes:

I knew that they were rivals, but I didn't know there was supposed to be anything bad between them (although that would explain Meares' comments that she self-imposed a media ban because of the bad British press she was getting). In an interview, Meares said that they hugged after the race and Pendleton told her that Meares had deserved the win and was a legend (or something similar). Meares said she burst into tears when she heard that because P. had never said anything like that before.

When P. was asked by the same Aussie reporter what she said to Meares after the race, P. didn't mention the nice things she had said, which I took to be very...I can't think of the right word, but I think it shows great character when one doesn't sort of 'brag' about their good deeds and take the opportunity to make themselves look good. :)

I knew that they were rivals, but I didn't know there was supposed to be anything bad between them (although that would explain Meares' comments that she self-imposed a media ban because of the bad British press she was getting).

Vicky said something along similar lines about the Aussie press, too. It's good to have rivalry, but whoever tries to make it more than that is making mischief, I reckon. I saw them hug after the race, and Vicky was applauding her as she was doing her lap of honour :smile:

ETA: Watching the taekwondo now . . . never thought I'd say that :D

Edited by Karsa Orlong

And good on Sally Pearson for winning gold too. Another lovely girl. :) We have also won a gold in sailing and will win another today because apparently we have an unassailable lead in a sailing event.

Wiggins ought to be a dead cert for it, but for once, I think we are going to be spoilt for choice! If not Wiggins then Jess Ennis for me. Basically, I don't really mind as long as some stupid, fat useless footballer doesn't win it!

Agree with the Sally Pearson comments too. Her reaction on realising she'd got the gold was (for me) the moment of the games so far

Vicky said something along similar lines about the Aussie press, too. It's good to have rivalry, but whoever tries to make it more than that is making mischief, I reckon. I saw them hug after the race, and Vicky was applauding her as she was doing her lap of honour :smile:

Typical media, always trying to cause trouble, especially when it involves rivalry between Australia and England! I think most of us don't mind a bit of good-natured teasing between the nations, but the media (ours at least) makes it out to be a serious matter of national pride. *rolls eyes*

Can someone please tell me where the sailing is taking place? It was mentioned on the telly earlier but I (think I) missed it. Is it Plymouth or something? I must admit to seeing next to nothing of the sailing because I've been far more interested in looking at the coastline and the pretty row of buildings just behind the beach that look alike. :)

The sailing is at Weymouth Bay and Portland Harbour.

Although I dont think they could be described as 'friends' VP & AM dont seem to have any bad blood between each other. Both of the, have pushed the other to be as good as they are. As kuch as I wanted to see VP win it was nice to see AM get some redemption for all the suffering she has been through.

At the end it did look as though VP's overriding emotion is relief to be done with competative cycling. Without doubt she is massively emotional and has had a real hard time dealing with the mental aspect of sport. Part fo me wonders if she only carried onto London 2012 because she felt obliged to rather than actually really wanting to do it.