Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 18

Janet

I read Shutter Island, a while back, about the time the film came out. We went to see the film one night, and I had to stop at the bookstore on the way home to read it asap. :D I did enjoy it, I must say. Both the film and book. DiCaprio truly captured the character. It constantly surprises me how he is able to capture a character.

Some years ago I saw the film where he portrays Howard Hughes, and boy, oh boy, he had Hughes down pat! As well as J. Edgar. But I'm getting off topic now....sorry. :)

I don't think I'll watch the movie, because I hardly ever watch movies, but I do like the book so far, I've read about 70 pages so far. Which character does DiCaprio play in the movie? So far the characters I've met don't seem like ones that DiCaprio would play but then again, I wouldn't know :)

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and now starting A Pale View of Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro.

This is a great, creepy, atmospheric read. It's very subtly done with many layers and interpretations. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I don't think I'll watch the movie, because I hardly ever watch movies, but I do like the book so far, I've read about 70 pages so far. Which character does DiCaprio play in the movie? So far the characters I've met don't seem like ones that DiCaprio would play but then again, I wouldn't know :)

He played Teddy Daniels.

Going to the local bookbarn to drop off some books today, I wonder if I can come out with nothing.... :giggle:

He played Teddy Daniels.

Wow, I really can't picture him as Teddy Daniels. For some reason I thought he'd play a baddie in the movie.

It surprises us all.

:D

Going to the local bookbarn to drop off some books today, I wonder if I can come out with nothing.... :giggle:

We won't wonder, we'll know! :D I visited one of your bookbarns when I was over there, it was the most amazing place, gosh, I'd actually quite forgotten about that place! I could've spent the whole weekend there.... Bliss! :smile2:

I'm going to a charityshop and a secondhand shop later today, I hope I get lucky and find something really good and unexpected!

well I took in six, and came out with eight :blush: but I got exactly what you wanted to find Frankie! I got some good and unexpected purchases :D

I also got $3 off which was a nice surprise, I gather its because I had given them some books.

I Shall add them to my book blog!

well I took in six, and came out with eight :blush: but I got exactly what you wanted to find Frankie! I got some good and unexpected purchases :D

Good on you! :D I'll expect a crappier selection then :giggle: I can't wait to see which books you got! :)

I went to the new charityshop in town, there wasn't a room full of books like Grandma had told Mum, but there were quite a few. Bought a couple :smile2:

OK, now you're just doing it on purpose. :P Spill!

This is a great, creepy, atmospheric read. It's very subtly done with many layers and interpretations. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

This comment alone, has made me very interested in A Pale View of Hills! :D

It surprises us all.

I actually think he's a first-rate actor - especially so after watching What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Departed.

I actually think he's a first-rate actor - especially so after watching What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Departed.

He has certainly gotten better with time, really enjoyed him in Shutter Island and Inception. Titanic and The Beach... not so much.

I would recommend it too :smile2:

BTW Devi, where's the book haul report you promised :giggle:

I'm done! You can go look now :)

He has certainly gotten better with time, really enjoyed him in Shutter Island and Inception. Titanic and The Beach... not so much.

Agreed, ever since he did Titanic (bleh!), he has only improved with age in my opinion.

Edited by Devi

This comment alone, has made me very interested in A Pale View of Hills! :D

I'm about 70 pages in and enjoying it so far. Keen to find out how it all fits together!

I've just finished reading a scene in which a man's friends ask him if it's true he hit his wife with a golf club because she refused to vote for the same party as him. One of the friend's father is there and he acts all shocked about it, so the man clarifies he didn't actually hit her. But the father isn't at all concerned about that, he's shocked at the woman refusing to vote how she's told!

Ita obviously very indicative of the time in post-war Nagasaki, where this man is blaming the lack of Japanese sense of duty and obligation on the Americans and their damned democracy!

Actually he was only 17 or 18 when he did What's Eating Gilbert Grape !

It surprises us all.

Well, I'm sorry to say I am one that disparaged his acting skills, but after I saw him practically channel Howard Hughes I was totally convinced. We saw J. Edgar a while back, and all I can say is that he was fantastic as JEH.

I'm very interested in seeing Gilbert now that you say that. Thanks. :)

Agree re Shutter Island and Inception, and as far as Titanic, I think he probably did the best he could with that script. :rolleyes:

Actually he was only 17 or 18 when he did What's Eating Gilbert Grape !

That's pretty amazing. I do have to see this now!

I'm reading a fiction novel by Shelby Foote well known for his (American) Civil War monumental books. I was unaware of his fiction till we found one accidently at the Symphony Book Fair last week. I have to say, he takes my breath away with his descriptive prose. On a par with William Faulkner IMO. This book is Follow Me Down. The opening is fantastic in detail.

Shutter Islands gets a lot of knocks but I liked it and DiCaprio....loved Inception....we wont mention Revolutionary Road....and um....am I the only one that remembers him in the tv show Growing Pains.....?

Finished Delirium today, it got better as it went on but I can't decide exactly how much I liked it.. I haven't bought the sequel yet though....

I'm 20 pages into Red Dog, it's a short book so I should finish it today or tomorrow.. Good so far! :)