Steve's Bookshelf 2012

Karsa Orlong

*cough* Steven Erikson *cough*

Aren't they the same person?

:giggle:

Well, I can. My TBR is sneaking back up towards 80 again. Need to get it down to 70 soon. Plus I'm having a slow month. The combination of the Olympics and Forge of Darkness slowed me right down. I'm on only my fourth book of the month

Whaaat, nearing the bad old 80 again?? Quit buying books, man! Quit working. Start reading. :giggle:

Oi :lol: A ten should indicate perfection, shouldn't it? Can't go giving them out willy-nilly, can I? :giggle2:

Maybe you are just too hard to please :rolleyes::giggle:

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't they the same person?

:o

Noooo, if they were the same person that would be one less author for me to read :(

Whaaat, nearing the bad old 80 again?? Quit buying books, man! Quit working. Start reading. :giggle:

And how many books have you got from the library again? :giggle2:

Maybe you are just too hard to please :rolleyes::giggle:

That's the first time anyone's said that to me :lol:

Book #56: Deep Sky by Patrick Lee

DeepSky.jpg

Blurb:

The anomaly called the Breach is the government's most carefully guarded secret.

But there is another secret even less known... and far more terrifying.

In the aftermath of a brutal attack on the White House, a cryptic message is discovered, left behind by the perpetrator: "See Scalar."

Now Travis Chase of the covert agency Tangent—caretakers of the Breach and all its grim wonders—along with Paige Campbell and Bethany Stewart, has only twenty-four hours to unearth a decades-old mystery once spoken of in terrified whispers by the long since silenced. But their breakneck race cross-country—and back through time and malleable memory—is calling the total destructive might of a shadow government down upon them. For Travis Chase has a dark destiny he cannot be allowed to fulfill.

Thoughts:

As this is the final volume in Lee's 'Breach' trilogy, I can't say too much about this book without the likelihood of spoiling the previous two. Suffice to say that, after an attack on the White House, Chase and Tangent suddenly find themselves in grave danger because the perpetrators believe they have information crucial to the future - and which might contain the answers to the mystery of the Breach.

The first two books set up a phenomenal pace and Deep Sky follows it through brilliantly. It is well-plotted, exciting, has a small but well-developed cast of characters, and is extremely easy to read fast. Yet there are times where it stops you dead in your tracks, twists that call into question everything you've just read in fairly jaw-dropping style. Lee ratchets up the tension brilliantly as the characters race against time, and calls on riddles from the first two books that pay-off beautifully. It works as a thriller, the science fiction element works really well, and it has a surprisingly thought-provoking and downbeat ending which answers nearly (nearly!) all my questions and yet leaves me wanting to know more. In fact, if it had answered one final question for me I might've given it another mark, but there's always the possibility that Lee held this back for another story, somewhere down the line.

As sf trilogies go, this is possibly the most consistent, from start to finish, that I have yet read, and Deep Sky is a thrilling way to bring down the curtain.

Recommended.

8/10

Edited by Karsa Orlong

:o

Noooo, if they were the same person that would be one less author for me to read :(

That would be a good thing, wouldn't it? Your TBR would come down and you could start reading normal books, too.

And how many books have you got from the library again? :giggle2:

Shush. Only a couple. One, two, maybe three, tops!

:blush:

That's the first time anyone's said that to me :lol:

There's always a first...

That would be a good thing, wouldn't it? Your TBR would come down and you could start reading normal books, too.

Oi! :lol: I like SE and GGK the way they are, thanks. And I do read normal books - it's the rest of you that are weird :giggle2:

Shush. Only a couple. One, two, maybe three, tops!

Pfft, I bet you've emptied the shelves by now :giggle2:

Book #57: The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells

moreau.png

It seems wrong to say 'blurb' about a Wells book. So ...

A Taste of Things to Come:

When Edward Prendick is rescued after the shipwreck of the Lady Vain, he finds himself aboard a vessel carrying a menagerie of wild animals and their keeper, Montgomery.

Nursed back to health by Montgomery, Prendick is put ashore with the man and his beasts on an unknown island, and soon Prendick discovers that the island holds a dark and terrible secret . . .

Thoughts:

This was Wells' second book, following The Time Machine. It was first published in 1896, and it's not hard - from this distance - to see what an effect it might've had. In some ways, I suppose, it's just as relevant today as it was then. I'm guessing everyone knows the story, so I won't go into detail, but it seems to me that he wasn't just talking about the dangers of scientific experimentation, but also about the thin line between man and animals, and about race and religion, too (for a start, Moreau is effectively playing God . . . ). He does all this in a story that clocks in at 180-odd pages (in the version I have), where hardly a word is wasted and the tale is stripped to its bare bones. Once the island's secrets are revealed, the book still has shocks in store, and a wonderfully underplayed and thought-provoking ending:

where Prendick returns to humanity only to find that he no longer trusts or can be around his fellow man, because in them he sees traits of the beasts he has left behind, and expects them to regress at any moment.

There's nothing at all extraneous in his telling of this tale, it moves swiftly from shipwreck to rescue to island and onwards without pausing for breath. It almost begs you to read it in one go. It's quite chilling, tense, and brilliantly, almost breathlessly, written (although you obviously have to take on board the time at which it was written and, therefore, some of the language used).

Plus, it's pretty miraculous and a little humbling to think that this was his second book, and was swiftly followed by The Invisible Man (1897) and The War of the Worlds (1898). Talk about inspired.

I think I said similar about The Time Machine but I'll say it again - they don't write 'em like this anymore.

10/10

Oi! :lol: I like SE and GGK the way they are, thanks. And I do read normal books - it's the rest of you that are weird :giggle2:

It might seem that way in your parallel weirdo universe... :lol:

Pfft, I bet you've emptied the shelves by now :giggle2:

No I haven't! It's a big ass library, thank goodness :giggle:

I counted, I now have 19 borrowed books (I already read, finished and returned two last week).

you could start reading normal books, too.

I counted, I now have 19 borrowed books

:o It's good thing you're working in a library and not a bookshop! :giggle2:

Great review, Steve. The Island of Dr Moreau has been near the top of my TBR pile for ages. I'm hoping it will get picked up for the October reading circle so I'll get that little extra kick to read it. :)

bah... normal = boring

:yes::lol:

It might seem that way in your parallel weirdo universe...

Well you seem normal in my parallel weirdo universe, too, so don't knock it :P:giggle2:

No I haven't! It's a big ass library, thank goodness :giggle:

I counted, I now have 19 borrowed books (I already read, finished and returned two last week).

Nineteen???! :lol:

Great review, I think this is a must read for me at some point This is odd, another Stevie Tenner in a short period of time

I know! I had to think about that but then I couldn't really give it less. That's two in a week. Bah humbug! :lol:

Great review, Steve. The Island of Dr Moreau has been near the top of my TBR pile for ages. I'm hoping it will get picked up for the October reading circle so I'll get that little extra kick to read it.

Want me to second your nomination? :giggle2:

:o It's good thing you're working in a library and not a bookshop! :giggle2:

I know :blush: It's a wicked work place :D

Great review, Steve. The Island of Dr Moreau has been near the top of my TBR pile for ages. I'm hoping it will get picked up for the October reading circle so I'll get that little extra kick to read it. :)

Maybe I might do the same. I don't think I'll go as far as second it, I've been so bad at the RC stuff this year. But if it's selected, I might join you.

Well you seem normal in my parallel weirdo universe, too, so don't knock it

Imma what? Hm. I'm confused now, and fearing I should be offended, as well :lol:

Nineteen???!

And it's only the books I've borrowed since I started working at the library. I already had/have 7 borrowed books before that...

I know! I had to think about that but then I couldn't really give it less. That's two in a week. Bah humbug!

So, who's going nilly-willy now, against their 'better judgement'? :lol: Ahhahhaha!

Imma what? Hm. I'm confused now, and fearing I should be offended, as well :lol:

Tee hee :giggle2:

And it's only the books I've borrowed since I started working at the library. I already had/have 7 borrowed books before that...

. . . dear Lord . . . :lol:

So, who's going nilly-willy now, against their 'better judgement'? :lol: Ahhahhaha!

Don't worry, I won't give another 10 this . . . week :D

. . . dear Lord . . . :lol:

You'd know what it was like if you worked in a library, too! Besides, you are reaching TBR 80 again, so I'd shut it if I were you :lol:

Don't worry, I won't give another 10 this . . . week :D

Are you sure? I thought you were going to re-read an SE novella which you love :D

You'd know what it was like if you worked in a library, too! Besides, you are reaching TBR 80 again, so I'd shut it if I were you :lol:

Well, if we're talking TBR lists . . . 519. And I bet that doesn't even include the books from the library. That's all I'm sayin' :giggle2:

Are you sure? I thought you were going to re-read an SE novella which you love :D

No, it's not a re-read, it's the new one :smile:

Well, if we're talking TBR lists . . . 519. And I bet that doesn't even include the books from the library. That's all I'm sayin' :giggle2:

We were talking about your TBR, not mine! And you've been talking about wanting to reach TBR 70 for a long time. I've not expressed such wishes. So there :P

No, it's not a re-read, it's the new one :smile:

So what are you still here for, then? You have to go and read it so you can finish it this week and make it a 3 x 10 :D

Book #54: The Impossible Dead by Ian Rankin

ImpossibleDead.jpg

Blurb:

Malcolm Fox and his team from The Complaints are back. They've been sent to Fife to investigate whether fellow cops covered up for a corrupt colleague, Detective Paul Carter. Carter has been found guilty of misconduct with his own uncle, also in the force, having proved to be his nephew's nemesis. But what should be a simple job is soon complicated by intimations of conspiracy and cover-up - and a brutal murder, a murder committed with a weapon that should not even exist.

Thoughts:

As mentioned upthread, this is the first of Rankin's novels that I have read. It's the second book in his new series about Malcolm Fox, so maybe not the best place to start, but it was half price so it seemed a good idea (not that I need much persuading to buy books!). I don't think the story suffered too much from my lack of knowledge of the first book (The Complaints) but I guess I'll only be able to tell that for sure when I eventually get around to reading that one. The only tiny issue I found is that I could never quite picture Fox (why am I always tempted to call him Mulder? :giggle2: ), because I don't recall there being much of a description of him, whereas other characters always seemed to be described in detail. Perhaps I blinked and missed it, or maybe it's something I was expected to know from the first book, but it seems odd considering the rest of the book reads so well on its own. As such his age and appearance kept changing in my mind, so I never really settled on how he should look and sound.

That aside, I really enjoyed Rankin's writing style, which I found very easy to read. There's humour (mainly in the banter between the members of the team) and intrigue, and the plot - whilst not particularly involved - developed quite nicely, throwing a couple of twists in and leading the investigation back to the 1980s. I also liked the glimpses into Mulder's Fox's private life, his feud with his sister etc, which was well done. And at least she hadn't been abducted by aliens or mysterious cigarette smoking men.

Some reviews I've read say that this is far from his best work, in which case I am very much looking forward to reading some of Rankin's other books, because I enjoyed this one :smile:

7/10

Thanks for not putting me off as I still have the Fox books on my Bookshelf along with the rebus short stories.

We were talking about your TBR, not mine! And you've been talking about wanting to reach TBR 70 for a long time. I've not expressed such wishes. So there :P

:lol: I wonder how long it would take you to get yours down to 70 ... :hide:

So what are you still here for, then? You have to go and read it so you can finish it this week and make it a 3 x 10 :D

Well . . .

Book #58: The Wurms of Blearmouth by Steven Erikson

PS Publishing signed, slipcased, hardback edition dust cover:

wurms.jpg

PS Publishing standard hardback cover:

wurms2.png

Blurb:

Tyranny comes in many guises, and tyrants will thrive in palaces and one room hovels, in back alleys and playgrounds. Tyrants abound on the verges of civilization, where disorder frays the rule of civil conduct, and all propriety surrenders to brutal imposition. Millions are made to kneel and yet more millions die horrible deaths in a welter of suffering and misery.

But we’ll leave all that behind as we plunge into escapist fantasy of the most irrelevant kind, and in the ragged wake of the tale told in Lees of Laughter’s End, our most civil adventurers, Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, along with their suitably phlegmatic manservant, Emancipor Reese, make gentle landing upon a peaceful beach, beneath a quaint village above the strand and lying at the foot of a majestic castle, and therein make acquaintance with the soft-hearted and generous folk of Spendrugle, which lies at the mouth of the Blear River and falls under the benign rule of the Lord of Wurms in his lovely keep.

Make welcome, then, to Spendrugle’s memorable residents, including the man who should have stayed dead, the woman whose prayers should never have been answered, the tax collector everyone ignores, the ex-husband town militiaman who never married, the beachcomber who lives in his own beard, and the now singular lizard cat who used to be plural, and the girl who likes to pee in your lap.

And of course, hovering over all, the denizen of the castle keep, Lord –

Ah, but there lies this tale, and so endeth this blurb, with one last observation: when tyrants collide, they have dinner.

And a good time is had by all.

Thoughts:

Now this is more like it. After my disappointment with Forge of Darkness (of which I still think my opinion will change once the trilogy is complete) I found The Wurms of Blearmouth a return to the style of writing that has made Steven Erikson my favourite fantasy author. It's fast-paced, darkly funny, full of vivid description and wild imagination, and populated by some of the strangest characters you could ever hope to meet. And a lizard cat.

The tyrant sorcerer, Lord Fangatooth, has taken residence in the keep that sits above the town of Spendrugle. Nobody seems quite sure if he belongs there, or even how he got there, but he maintains an iron grip with the use of iron golems, and a decree that sees any strangers entering town hanged from the walls of the keep, and ensures that a scribe follows him everywhere, noting down his not so profound observations on the world. When the necromancers Bauchelain and Korbal Broach (and their servant Emancipor Reese) come ashore after their ship is wrecked, Lord Fangatooth suddenly has some competition . . . and some biscuits.

This is the fifth of Erikson's novellas about Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, characters first introduced in the Malazan novel Memories of Ice, and it shouldn't be read without at least reading the third novella, The Lees of Laughter's End, first - as the events and characters in that tale reappear here (the fourth novella, Crack'd Pot Trail, went off at something of a tangent . . .). Wurms is a great little book, fully of witty dialogue and observations, and some memorable characters - my favourites being the old beachcomber who may or may not be who he appears to be; the tax collector whom everyone hates; and the soldier, Gust Hubb, who is swathed in bandages, has a forked tongue, and talks with a permanent lisp as a result (don't ask how he ended up this way, it's in the earlier stories).

So pleased to learn that Erikson hasn't lost his mojo!

9/10

Inner card (which is signed and numbered - mine is 219/300):

post-6588-0-25634200-1346062006_thumb.png

Edited by Karsa Orlong

:lol: I wonder how long it would take you to get yours down to 70 ... `

A lifetime :(

Well . . .

Well what?

Book #58: The Wurms of Blearmouth by Steven Erikson

wurms.jpg

wurms2.png

Oooh! They are rather beautiful copies :o

So pleased to learn that Erikson hasn't lost his mojo!

9/10

And yet so sad and disappointed that it wasn't another Steve Tenner for the week! :giggle:

I was shelving some GGK books today at the sci-fi/fantasy section. I was tempted to borrow one. But they were Finnish copies. Darn.

Oooh! They are rather beautiful copies :o

I know! I was going to post a photo of my copy, but the battery in my camera's dead :rolleyes:

And yet so sad and disappointed that it wasn't another Steve Tenner for the week!

:lol: It was close, but not quite :D

I was shelving some GGK books today at the sci-fi/fantasy section. I was tempted to borrow one. But they were Finnish copies. Darn.

Oooh, which ones? :smile: