Ben's Reading 2012

Ben

Going to put down my thoughts on the two Edgar Allan Poe stories, and Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream here, and I'll post in a separate post some thoughts or a review of Dracula as soon as I get chance.

Okay, let's start with talking about William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Thoughts:

Shakespeare's comedic play, A Midsummer Night's Dream, was in fact my earliest introduction to the world of the great Bard, William Shakespeare, although at the time, when I was around nine or ten, I imagine that his greatness was far from understood by me, or indeed any of my class-mates, when we were told we would be performing in a school production of it. This mysterious 'Shakespeare' was far from known to us, and I was worlds away from understanding his reputation and genius. In essence then, the girls were excited about getting dressed up, and the boys were mainly content with the competitiveness of securing the 'best' parts. Well, I say this - but it's quite possible that in some early display of geekery, it was simply I who became anxious over who should get what. In the end, I got the part I wanted - that of Puck, or Robin Goodfellow - and with my best friend procuring the part or Oberon, the stage was set.

Eight or so years later, re-reading the play, I can't imagine that the language we used was the original, but nevertheless I do believe it's great that school's attempt to offer at least some sort of Shakespearian education to kids growing up. The play itself is an enjoyable one, as we follow the events surrounding the marriage between the Duke of Athens, Theseus, and the Queen of the Amazons, Hippolyta; the adventures of four young lovers, and the antics of an amateur group of actors. The fairies that inhabit the forest in which most of the play is set, meddle and manipulate all those around them, causing havoc. Shakespeare weaves a wonderful plot of love and betrayal, magic and marriage, set mainly in the depths of the night - where Oberon and his obedient, mischievous servant Puck, rule and roam at will. The lovers are merely puppets upon a string, as they argue, love, and trade blows, unaware of what's hidden in the night. In the end, the fairies will decide if normality shall be restored.

5/5.

Next I want to discuss 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' and 'The Purloined Letter' by Egar Allan Poe; short stories containing the detective C. Auguste Dupin.

Thoughts:

After studying 'The Black Cat' and 'The Tell-Tale Heart' by Poe last year, I was looking forward to reading some more of his short stories, and I wasn't disappointed. The first tale, 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' is the the first appearance of the reclusive intellectual Auguste Dupin, and his side-kick, the unnamed man who narrates the tale. Much in the same vein as Holmes and Watson, these two spend time in each others' company, mediating on the issues of the day. After hearing about the murders in the Rue morgue, Dupin becomes intensely interested in the case which according to the papers, appears to be unsolvable and offers no clues. Not convinced, Dupin and his side-kick set about investigating the scene of the murder themselves. For the narrator, things are entirely unclear, but as the mystery unfolds and Dupin's marvellous mind works to form its own conclusions, it becomes apparent that he has unravelled the mystery. With a clever, unexpected ending, I found 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' to be a fascinating and enjoyable read.

3/5.

Thoughts:

'The Purloined Letter' sets about its narrative in a completely different manner: from the outset the thief is known to us, and it is not the 'whodunnit' of traditional UK crime fiction, but instead the importance is placed on how Dupin sets about his work. A letter has been stolen from an important aristocrat, and despite the police's best efforts to turn-over every last inch of the thief's rooms, they can not find what they seek. Somewhat reluctantly, they call in the help of Dupin, and the tale from then on is a story of narrow-mindedness and how the police have struggled because they can not see anything aside from ordinary procedure. Dupin's thinking is different to that of the police, and as a result he is able to out-think the thief. In this tale, then, we see the idea of the detective having an 'intellectual counterpart' as such; an adversary that in some ways is Dupin's 'match.' Once again this indeed can draw parallels to the Sherlock Holmes mysteries, with the famous adversary Professor Moriarty. Poe's detective stories then, are often attributed with being the forerunners for today's modern 'detective novel', and we can see why; it is clear that his ideas of the detective and of the investigative techniques he uses, influenced others, and are still present in crime fiction to this day.

4/5.

Edited by Ben

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay now I've successfully caught up a little with my reviews (see my blog at www.renegade-reviews.blogspot.com for the posts better spread out) - aside from those of Great Expectations and Dracula that is - I can now crack on with Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. What can I say? I've only read fifty or so pages but this book is absolutely fantastic. I'm gripped - utterly gripped. It's fortunate that I'm ahead with my university reading, because I really want to crack on with this excellent novel.

I've been missing out by not reading this; it's brilliant.

Great reviews of Midsummer Nights Dream and the Poe short stories Ben :smile: I've read 'The Purloined Letter' and 'The Fall of the House of Usher' but have yet to read any of his other stories though I have a book full of them. I really must pick it up again .. you've reminded me :smile:

Midsummer Nights Dream is probably my favourite Shakespeare .. it's got everything hasn't it? I remember being well amused when Hermia called Helena a 'canker-blossom' :D .. what a shame I've never come across an occasion to use it (though I'm going supermarket shopping later so anything's possible :D) I can imagine you as an impish Puck .. how cute :D

I love Dickens the writer but have a few difficulties with Dickens the man .. I have to remember to separate the two when I read him (and perhaps it's not fair to judge him .. what we know we only know in hindsight plus he was a Victorian .. they were a weird bunch and given to some very odd notions about women.) There is some criticism about him being paid per word but all those words are worth their weight in gold imo. When I read him I never think that a good editor would have cut it by half like I do with some much shorter books. I love it when he labours a point .. sort of hammering the nail home as it were, I drink all that stuff up. It's like nourishment to a book reader :smile: Take Our Mutual Friend .. there's a great passage in it about John Harmon (who is now going under the alias of John Rokesmith.) He see's that it would be better for everyone around him if John Harmon remained 'dead' .. the girl he loves has no interest in him whatsover but instead of saying it just like that he says ..

'And John Rokesmith, what did he do?

He went to his room and buried John Harmon many additional fathoms deep. he took his hat, and walked out, and, as he went to Holloway or anywhere else - not at all minding where - heaped mounds upon mounds of earth over John Harmon's grave. His walking did not bring him home until the dawn of day. And so busy had he been all night piling and piling weights upon weights of earth above John Harmon's grave, that by that time John Harmon lay buried under a whole alpine range; and still the Sexton Rokesmith accumulated mountains over him, lightening his labour with the dirge "Cover him, crush him, keep him down"

How fantastic :smile:

I haven't read The Pickwick Papers but a friend of mine has, and she really enjoyed it, so when I do get around to reading more Dickens it'll certainly be high up my list. He definitely has a talent for characterisation - that was one of the main things I enjoyed about Great Expectations. His different range of characters are what made the book so enjoyable for me.

Pickwick is very different to all his other work. It was also, as you probably know, his first. There's a simple joy/jollity about it which never really manifests itself in quite the same way in anything else. It is also the most overtly episodic of his books, and a wonderful insight into the early 19th century world. It was the first of his I read, as a teenager; we were set a choice of Pickwick or Barchester Towers to read in the equivalent of year 9 - I read and loved both! Reread it last year, and it simply confirmed my enjoyment. One of those books where, whatever one thinks of his other work, this needs to be at least tried!

Loved the Midsummer Night's Dream review too, not least because it was my first experience of Shakespeare too. I remember, at about 10 or 11, being taken to the cinema to see a film* of it, and was entranced. Our year 6s are performing a shortened version for the school play at the end of the year, and they seem to be getting a lot out of it too!

(Later edit: *I've just looked it up on the imdb site, having seen neither sight nor sign of this film since. There was a version produced in 1968, which would tie in with the timing, and the poster reminds me of the scenery that I remember. Directed by Peter Hall, and included the likes of Helen Mirren and Diana Rigg. Must see if I can find a copy.)

Edited by willoyd

Great reviews of Midsummer Nights Dream and the Poe short stories Ben :smile: I've read 'The Purloined Letter' and 'The Fall of the House of Usher' but have yet to read any of his other stories though I have a book full of them. I really must pick it up again .. you've reminded me :smile:

Midsummer Nights Dream is probably my favourite Shakespeare .. it's got everything hasn't it? I remember being well amused when Hermia called Helena a 'canker-blossom' :D .. what a shame I've never come across an occasion to use it (though I'm going supermarket shopping later so anything's possible :D) I can imagine you as an impish Puck .. how cute :D

Thanks Poppyshake, it's always hard to properly review Shakespeare's work because I tend to feel that whatever I say is inadequate in explaining how much of a genius he was. I really did enjoy the Poe stories, and I too have them all waiting for me on my Kindle - so some day I'll read them all. Aha, some of the dialogue in A Midsummer Night's Dream is just brilliant - I have to laugh when they're insulting one another! That is a great phrase, I hope you find an occasion to use it. :D Aha, perhaps not cute - but I sure as hell enjoyed myself. :lol:

I love Dickens the writer but have a few difficulties with Dickens the man .. I have to remember to separate the two when I read him (and perhaps it's not fair to judge him .. what we know we only know in hindsight plus he was a Victorian .. they were a weird bunch and given to some very odd notions about women.) There is some criticism about him being paid per word but all those words are worth their weight in gold imo. When I read him I never think that a good editor would have cut it by half like I do with some much shorter books. I love it when he labours a point .. sort of hammering the nail home as it were, I drink all that stuff up. It's like nourishment to a book reader :smile:

Ah I know what you mean, sometimes in class when we come across a writer that had not very nice notions of women, most of the girls turn up their noses and immediately become annoyed at them. However, it's impossible to ignore context when you're reading a novel, and this is especially brought to our attention when we're writing analysis' of novels for university; if we ignore the background at the time of publication, more often we're presenting an incomplete argument. As for being paid by the word, that isn't too much of an issue for me either; I too love it when he describes in detail with his wonderful metaphors and vivid imagery. I can guess why some people would criticise him for it, but for us logophiles it certainly isn't an issue. :lol:

As for that passage you posted, that's just excellent - utterly excellent!

Pickwick is very different to all his other work. It was also, as you probably know, his first. There's a simple joy/jollity about it which never really manifests itself in quite the same way in anything else. It is also the most overtly episodic of his books, and a wonderful insight into the early 19th century world. It was the first of his I read, as a teenager; we were set a choice of Pickwick or Barchester Towers to read in the equivalent of year 9 - I read and loved both! Reread it last year, and it simply confirmed my enjoyment. One of those books where, whatever one thinks of his other work, this needs to be at least tried!

Thanks for the comments willoyd, I've heard of its differences to his other work, and of course how it was his first novel - I think that's why I didn't start with it, as I wanted to read a novel that painted a picture of what his writing was more regularly like, if you know what I mean. However, now I've been introduced to that I'm certainly interested in getting around to reading The Pickwick Papers.

Loved the Midsummer Night's Dream review too, not least because it was my first experience of Shakespeare too. I remember, at about 10 or 11, being taken to the cinema to see a film* of it, and was entranced. Our year 6s are performing a shortened version for the school play at the end of the year, and they seem to be getting a lot out of it too!

Thank you, I'm never exactly sure what to write about Shakespeare's works as I don't think I'm expressing my thoughts properly, and I suppose I went off a little on tangent with my anecdote, but hey ho! I think a lot of schools use A Midsummer Night's Dream as a starting point for Shakespeare as they feel that's the most accessible to kids. It's the same with Romeo & Juliet I suppose. I also guess that having kids acting it out as a play, or indeed seeing a film version, is a better way of getting them interested. Rather than labouring over close-text analysis which definitely at a younger age wouldn't hold anyone's attention.

I've never seen an adaptation of it on-screen, but at some stage I'd love to see one or two just to see how the transformation from play to film has been done.

Edited by Ben

Thank you, I'm never exactly sure what to write about Shakespeare's works as I don't think I'm expressing my thoughts properly, and I suppose I went off a little on tangent with my anecdote, but hey ho! I think a lot of schools use A Midsummer Night's Dream as a starting point for Shakespeare as they feel that's the most accessible to kids. It's the same with Romeo & Juliet I suppose. I also guess that having kids acting it out as a play, or indeed seeing a film version, is a better way of getting them interested. Rather than labouring over close-text analysis which definitely at a younger age wouldn't hold anyone's attention.

I know what you mean about reviewing Shakespeare. I think with him, because he's so engrained in our literary fabric, all we can bring fresh to him are our own personal experiences in relation to his work. That's what I find most interesting anyway. I agree about schools using Midsummer Night's Dream that way, although sometimes I find that disappointing: personally I think he's much more approachable across quite a range of his work than he is often given credit for, and we're often a bit limited in our thinking in schools that way. For instance, another film I went to see as a youngster was the Olivier Henry V, and I remember being blown away by it.

Incidentally, I've never liked Romeo and Juliet, or at least I never liked it until I saw a production of it a couple of years ago by Northern Broadsides at the West Yorkshire Playhouse, which was brilliant, not least because the main characters (both played by recent drama school graduates) were so utterly believable.

I know what you mean about reviewing Shakespeare. I think with him, because he's so engrained in our literary fabric, all we can bring fresh to him are our own personal experiences in relation to his work. That's what I find most interesting anyway. I agree about schools using Midsummer Night's Dream that way, although sometimes I find that disappointing: personally I think he's much more approachable across quite a range of his work than he is often given credit for, and we're often a bit limited in our thinking in schools that way. For instance, another film I went to see as a youngster was the Olivier Henry V, and I remember being blown away by it.

I agree entirely with everything you have to say here. In our first Shakespeare seminar of the semester we all had to say a little about our first - and subsequent - experiences of Shakespeare and his works, and it was fascinating to hear everyone's different anecdotes. Some, like me, first saw or acted in a play of his; others watched adaptations - one girl even went on a school trip to Stratford-upon-Avon. You're right though: I admittedly haven't read a lot of Shakespeare but it would be undoubtedly beneficial for children growing up to learn about a different range of his works than just A Midsummer Night's Dream or Romeo and Juliet. I guess schools just like to play it safe with the curriculum most of the time.

Incidentally, I've never liked Romeo and Juliet, or at least I never liked it until I saw a production of it a couple of years ago by Northern Broadsides at the West Yorkshire Playhouse, which was brilliant, not least because the main characters (both played by recent drama school graduates) were so utterly believable.

I've never been a big fan of Romeo and Juliet either, but I think that's partly because the story is one which nearly everyone seems to know - and perhaps I always felt that, like we talked about above, this is a bit limited. I suppose I always wanted to know something about his other plays; not those so recognisable to everyone, if that makes sense. The only theatre productions I've seen of his works, were Macbeth and Othello - both of which I had the pleasure of seeing at The Globe. They were fantastic, and I always feel that to truly appreciate Shakespeare you need to see his work performed. After all, that's what they were written for.

I suppose I always wanted to know something about his other plays; not those so recognisable to everyone, if that makes sense. The only theatre productions I've seen of his works, were Macbeth and Othello - both of which I had the pleasure of seeing at The Globe. They were fantastic, and I always feel that to truly appreciate Shakespeare you need to see his work performed. After all, that's what they were written for.

Definitely! We took our then 15 year old son down to The Globe a few years ago to see The Merchant of Venice as he was studying it for GCSE, and fell in love with the place. We've since been back a few times for various productions, the best of which was an hysterical The Merry Wives of Windsor a couple of years ago - one of the funniest theatre productions I've enjoyed in a long time. We've not been to a disappointing performance yet. Here in Leeds, there's usually at least one Shakespeare a year at the West Yorkshire Playhouse (Northern Broadsides are regular visitors, and there have been some outstanding in-house productions too), so we get a steady supply of good quality bard. Our next port of call has to be Stratford! I wasn't a great fan of Shakespeare in my younger years, in spite of those positive experiences in the cinema, but have grown to absolutely adore his work because of the quality of the theatre we've been fortunate enough to see. Our next taste will be Love's Labour Lost at the WYP in April. Can't wait!

BTW, I agree with what you say about his 'other' plays, but what came home to me when seeing R&J is that, whilst I 'knew' the plot, I didn't really know the play. A bit like when I read Wuthering Heights for the first time. So many of these iconic plays, books etc, whilst being superficially similar, really do bear a proper reading/viewing - they are so much deeper on first hand encounter than we give them credit for.

Definitely! We took our then 15 year old son down to The Globe a few years ago to see The Merchant of Venice as he was studying it for GCSE, and fell in love with the place. We've since been back a few times for various productions, the best of which was an hysterical The Merry Wives of Windsor a couple of years ago - one of the funniest theatre productions I've enjoyed in a long time. We've not been to a disappointing performance yet. Here in Leeds, there's usually at least one Shakespeare a year at the West Yorkshire Playhouse (Northern Broadsides are regular visitors, and there have been some outstanding in-house productions too), so we get a steady supply of good quality bard. Our next port of call has to be Stratford! I wasn't a great fan of Shakespeare in my younger years, in spite of those positive experiences in the cinema, but have grown to absolutely adore his work because of the quality of the theatre we've been fortunate enough to see. Our next taste will be Love's Labour Lost at the WYP in April. Can't wait!

I really want to start going to more productions in the near future, as I've always had good experiences of the theatre. I saw Frankenstein streamed from the National Theatre Live in London, starring Johnny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch, and it was sensational. I've been living in Leeds from September and the West Yorkshire Playhouse is only about a good hour's walk from where I live. Perhaps I'll even book tickets for Love's Labour Lost. I bet it'll be fantastic; you'll have a great time. Even if I don't go to that I'll definitely make an effort to get to see more theatre soon.

BTW, I agree with what you say about his 'other' plays, but what came home to me when seeing R&J is that, whilst I 'knew' the plot, I didn't really know the play. A bit like when I read Wuthering Heights for the first time. So many of these iconic plays, books etc, whilst being superficially similar, really do bear a proper reading/viewing - they are so much deeper on first hand encounter than we give them credit for.

Oh yes, definitely. I wasn't suggesting that having a knowledge of the plot ever compensates for a proper reading/viewing. In fact a lot of the time, when people people 'think' they understand a novel's plot, or that of a play, without ever seeing it, half the time they take for granted things that aren't true - there's a lot of common misconceptions. It'll always be the case that a proper understanding comes from an actual reading or viewing.

Ah I know what you mean, sometimes in class when we come across a writer that had not very nice notions of women, most of the girls turn up their noses and immediately become annoyed at them. However, it's impossible to ignore context when you're reading a novel, and this is especially brought to our attention when we're writing analysis' of novels for university; if we ignore the background at the time of publication, more often we're presenting an incomplete argument. As for being paid by the word, that isn't too much of an issue for me either; I too love it when he describes in detail with his wonderful metaphors and vivid imagery. I can guess why some people would criticise him for it, but for us logophiles it certainly isn't an issue. :lol:

Good point well expressed there Ben.

I've been living in Leeds from September and the West Yorkshire Playhouse is only about a good hour's walk from where I live. Perhaps I'll even book tickets for Love's Labour Lost. I bet it'll be fantastic; you'll have a great time. Even if I don't go to that I'll definitely make an effort to get to see more theatre soon.

I hadn't picked up that you were in Leeds. Leeds Uni? That's my old uni, and the reason I originally came north from London. You really should check out the Playhouse: they run a scheme whereby under-26s can get hold of free tickets for (I think) up to three performances, and then vey low prices (£5?) after that. If you haven't been before, it's a great theatre, and there are some stonking plays coming up. We're off to see Waiting for Godot later this week. Having seen Frankenstein, you might be interested that they are putting on Mary Shelley later this spring, whilst we're particularly looking forward to Tom Stoppard's The Real Thing in the early summer. Lots else too!

Edited by willoyd

Good point well expressed there Ben.

Thank you VF. :smile2:

I hadn't picked up that you were in Leeds. Leeds Uni? That's my old uni, and the reason I originally came north from London. You really should check out the Playhouse: they run a scheme whereby under-26s can get hold of free tickets for (I think) up to three performances, and then vey low prices (£5?) after that. If you haven't been before, it's a great theatre, and there are some stonking plays coming up. We're off to see Waiting for Godot later this week. Having seen Frankenstein, you might be interested that they are putting on Mary Shelley later this spring, whilst we're particularly looking forward to Tom Stoppard's The Real Thing in the early summer. Lots else too!

Leeds Met, actually. Well that definitely sounds like it's something worth checking out - even at £5 or thereabouts, that's a bargain! I had a look about at what was on when you mentioned Love's Labour's Lost. I studied Waiting for Godot last year, and found it fascinating - I imagine the play will be fantastic. The Mary Shelley performance looks great - I might have to see if my grandma wants to come see one or two with me. :smile2:

Edited by Ben

Okay this is going to make me sound quite lame, but I thought I'd share it. Now, usually, when I read a novel, I'm never emotionally affected enough to show it physically (although, don't get me wrong, I have been moved by books). However, I was reading Birdsong last night and (don't read if you're intending to read Birdsong):

When we find out that Jack Firebrace's son died, in the letter he receives while he's on the front-line

It actually made me tear-up. I was shocked at first, but I guess it just proves how poignant the writing is, if I was that emotionally affected.

Edited by Ben

Well I'm not going to attempt to try draft up my thoughts right now as the hour appears too late, but I have just finished Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks and I just want to say it was absolutely incredible. It's certainly one of the best books I've read in a long time.

I've had Birdsong on my TBR for about five years now, and I just never seem to be in the mood to start it. I've read and loved some other of Faulks books, but I think I'm a bit worried that everyone I know who has read it has loved it, and I'm not sure it's going to live up to their glowing recommendations. Look forward to reading a full review though Ben - maybe it will spur me on to make a start!

I've had Birdsong on my TBR for about five years now, and I just never seem to be in the mood to start it. I've read and loved some other of Faulks books, but I think I'm a bit worried that everyone I know who has read it has loved it, and I'm not sure it's going to live up to their glowing recommendations. Look forward to reading a full review though Ben - maybe it will spur me on to make a start!

Ah, I know that feeling. I too have always wanted to read Birdsong but what with one reason and another, always seemed to just put it off. I did find it fantastic, and I really do think you'd enjoy it, but with high expectations things can sometimes be a let down, I suppose. I'd still recommend it wholeheartedly, though. I'll get a proper review up some time tomorrow. I was going to write it today but my sudden strange feeling of exhaustion (see member thread), I really haven't been in the mood for it. It's coming soon, though; I'll see if I can do my best to persuade you to pick it up. :smile2:

Edited by Ben

I'm sooo happy you loved Birdsong too Ben, after reading so many more good reviews on here I think I may have to re read it this year, have you read any others of his yet? I do find his books a bit hit and miss and I know others have too but sometimes his writing is just sublime. :-)

I hope you get to it soon Chesil, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I'm sooo happy you loved Birdsong too Ben, after reading so many more good reviews on here I think I may have to re read it this year, have you read any others of his yet? I do find his books a bit hit and miss and I know others have too but sometimes his writing is just sublime. :-)

Ah it was wonderful - I was so disappointed that I'd left it for so long once I realised it was so good. :lol: I haven't read anything else he's written, have you? I've also heard that he can be a bit hit-and-miss, so I might have to check some reviews of his other stuff before I give them a try. I think I will have a go at one of his other books at some point though; he has earned it. :giggle:

Ah it was wonderful - I was so disappointed that I'd left it for so long once I realised it was so good. :lol: I haven't read anything else he's written, have you? I've also heard that he can be a bit hit-and-miss, so I might have to check some reviews of his other stuff before I give them a try. I think I will have a go at one of his other books at some point though; he has earned it. :giggle:

As I said I find his books a bit hit and miss, I've never managed to get through to the end of Charlotte Gray yet others have loved it. I quite enjoyed The Girl at the Lion D'Or, but my out and out favourite, that I would rate slightly higher than Birdsong, is Human Traces, but I think I may be in limited company with that as I don't know anyone else who has read it yet. It is over 600 pages and very descriptive and deals with a subject matter not enjoyed by everyone, lunatic asylums and the efforts to create better psychiatric care and diagnosis, but I found it fascinating and moving and just so so wonderful...

As I said I find his books a bit hit and miss, I've never managed to get through to the end of Charlotte Gray yet others have loved it. I quite enjoyed The Girl at the Lion D'Or, but my out and out favourite, that I would rate slightly higher than Birdsong, is Human Traces, but I think I may be in limited company with that as I don't know anyone else who has read it yet. It is over 600 pages and very descriptive and deals with a subject matter not enjoyed by everyone, lunatic asylums and the efforts to create better psychiatric care and diagnosis, but I found it fascinating and moving and just so so wonderful...

Ooh, sorry, I misread what you had written and thought you'd said you had heard that his books were hit and miss - my apologies. Human Traces sounds fascinating, and I think I'd enjoy it. I'm going to add it to my wishlist, so thanks. :friends3:

Needed a bit of light-hearted reading this evening so I decided to rattle through Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan, the first book in the series. I've read all the books before a couple of times, but it's been a while since I've read them, and they're just right for a bit of a light-hearted escape. They're not the most challenging books in the world, but are perfect to break up some of the classics and trickier reads I have to read for university. In any case, it was an enjoyable read; vampires, bearded ladies, performing poisonous spiders. What more could one want. :giggle:

3/5.

Anyway, I'm currently reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte for my bildungsroman course, and although I haven't read much yet I'm enjoying it so far.

Synopsis: Orphaned Jane Eyre grows up in the home of her heartless aunt, where she endures loneliness and cruelty, and at a charity school with a harsh regime. This troubled childhood strengthens Jane's natural independence and spirit - which prove necessary when she finds a position as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him and live with the consequences, or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving the man she loves?

One of the books I've wanted to read for a while, so glad to be finally getting around to it.

Edited by Ben

So I decided last night and this morning to continue with The Saga of Darren Shan with the second book in the series The Vampire's Assistant. In this book, Darren is learning more about the vampires and becoming more and more a creature of the night. Despite this, he refuses to let go of his humanity, and won't do the one thing he needs to survive - drink human blood. His powers weaken, but he doesn't mind, as he helps around the Cirque Du Freak with his new friend, the snake-boy Evra Von, and learns more about life there. From wonderful performers such as Hands Hans and Truska, to the mysterious Mr Tiny, and his followers, the Little People - weird hooded creatures that never reveal their faces, and never speak. Darren learns that things aren't always easy, though, as the hippy vegetarian RV starts to sneak around, asking unwanted questions. Questions that will lead to disastrous circumstances. Overall then an enjoyable fast-paced read.

3/5.

Today I read the third book in The Saga of Darren Shan, entitled Tunnels of Blood - even though I should probably give them a miss and get cracking with Jane Eye. I'm not worried though, a few light-hearted books have done me good in and amongst the classics.

In any case, Tunnels of Blood is one of my favourite books of the entire series, and even on the re-read I enjoyed it immensely. Darren, Mr Crepsley and Evra leave all of a sudden from the Cirque Du Freak, after Larten remarks that he has business to attend to. Darren, initially reluctant to leave, but more forthcoming when Evra agrees to come, at first has a great time, shopping and having fun in the spirit of Christmas. He even meets a girl, Debbie, and although they have a great time together, at the same time its saddening to see him weary of becoming attached. Mr Crepsley roams every night, barely paying attention to Darren and Evra, and when it comes on the news that bodies have been found, drained of blood - the two of them become worried, and promise to do whatever it takes to stop this from happening. Even if it means killing Larten Crepsley. Their worries lead them further into the darkness than ever before. As the narrative unfolds, the long maze of tunnels beneath the city hides many secrets, and the night is stained with blood, and with death. Overall, an enthralling read that had me gripped, and leaves me wanting to read the next in the series - Vampire Mountain.

4/5.

Edited by Ben

I'm obsessed; utterly obsessed. I've started to enjoy The Saga of Darren Shan books so much, that I've given in to reading as many of them as it takes until I don't want to read them any more. I know I should be working on reducing the TBR, or on reading some classics, but if I'm enjoying myself reading then I'm just going to keep going. Tonight I read the fourth in the series, entitled Vampire Mountain.

With their dark secrets buried behind them, the time has now come where Larten Crepsley and his young half-vampire assistant Darren Shan, must present themselves at the

Vampire Counsel - the big gathering of all the vampires in the world, that takes place every twelve years. Mr Crepsley must explain his actions, and they must face the consequences the Vampire Princes decree upon them. All the while, trouble is brewing in the tunnels leading to Vampire Mountain, and one of the Little People harbours his own message that causes panic and whispers among the vampires. In this, the fourth book in the series, Darren meets new faces all around, from Kurda Smahlt - a pacifist and soon-to-be Prince, invested on his wit - to Vanez Blaze - the one eyed Games Master. Not to mention Arra Sails, of the few female vampires - who has extraordinary balance. All in all then, this isn't the most action-packed of the books so far in the series, but it holds our attention enough as we're introduced into the real heart of the vampire-world. Soon, we shall find out once and for all if Darren has the worth to become one of them.

3/5.

There goes another one, as last night and today I managed to read the fifth book in The Saga of Darren Shan, entitled Trials of Death. I remember this being another one of my favourites and again I wasn't disappointed with the re-read.

In The Trials of Death Darren must face the fearsome and deadly 'trials' to earn his worth as a member of the vampire world, and to show that Larten Crepsley made a sensible decision after all, in blooding a child. He agrees to this, despite the protests of soon-to-be Vampire Prince Kurda Smahlt, who openly rejects this idea that Darren most in some way prove himself to the rest of the clan. He also realises not that there can be no forfeits in these challenges - the only forfeit is one of death. In his friends around him, though, he has help: in the true vampire spirit, everyone offers him a helping hand to train. As Darren faces his own terrible battle, through water, through fire, bloodied and bruised, the Vampires realise that soon they must face theirs. Word of the coming of the Vampaneze Lord and the downfall of the vampires spreads amongst the underground caverns with fearful and worried whispers. Perhaps for Darren, death would be preferable; as evil gathers in the darkness, the air is stained with bloodshed and betrayal. Overall, a gripping addition to the series, once again leaving me wanting more.

4/5.