Ben's Reading 2012

Ben

Making good headway with Stoker's Dracula and Alex Connor really enjoyed my review, so that's always pleasing. That's about as much reading news as I've got at the moment, but my new classes start tomorrow, so hopefully, most probably, my reading won't be slow in the coming weeks.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay my new modules are really getting started now, so I'm putting Dracula on the back-burner (unfortunately; I'm disappointed this is happening again), for the time being. I'm starting Dickens' Great Expectations which I've studied before, at GCSE level. I remember enjoying it, but not really much else (my GCSE English classes were some of the worst lessons I've ever had), so I'm looking forward to reading it properly.

Synopsis:

'It was now too late and too far to go back, and I went on. And the mists had all solemnly risen now, and the world lay spread before me’

A terrifying encounter with an escaped convict in a graveyard on the wild Kent marshes; a summons to meet the bitter, decaying Miss Havisham and her beautiful, cold-hearted ward Estella; the sudden generosity of a mysterious benefactor – these form a series of events that change the orphaned Pip’s life forever, and he eagerly abandons his humble origins to begin a new life as a gentleman. Dickens’s haunting late novel depicts Pip’s education and development through adversity as he discovers the true nature of his ‘great expectations’.

Hope you enjoy it Ben. For my money .. it's the best Dickens :smile: Sorry you've had to put Dracula down .. I've just finished it and it was brilliant. I was terrified and entertained in equal measure. Hope it's not long before you can pick it up again.

Hope you enjoy it Ben. For my money .. it's the best Dickens :smile: Sorry you've had to put Dracula down .. I've just finished it and it was brilliant. I was terrified and entertained in equal measure. Hope it's not long before you can pick it up again.

I've never read any Dickens but I've always wanted too. I'm actually loving it so far. As for Dracula, I will get back to it because I was enjoying it, but I'm going to have to be putting my recreational reads on hold when my university reading needs doing (always).

Hope you enjoy it Ben. For my money .. it's the best Dickens :smile:

Oooh! Now that could start up a real debate!! Certainly, it's a good one, and definitely one I'd suggest as a a first read, but IMHO not a patch on Bleak House!

We're in one accord about Dracula though - absolute cracker. In fact, I must read it again sometime soon!

Edited by willoyd

Oooh! Now that could start up a real debate!! Certainly, it's a good one, and definitely one I'd suggest as a a first read, but IMHO not a patch on Bleak House!

We're in one accord about Dracula though - absolute cracker. In fact, I must read it again sometime soon!

Bleak House will be my next Dickens I should imagine, so I'll get back to you when I can make a decision. :lol:

Yeah Dracula is great, I'll most certainly try get back to it soon. :smile2:

Glad you enjoyed Sherlock Holmes. I have four stories from that collection on audio cd and looking forward to listening to them soon. Looking forward to your thoughts on Dracula when you get back to it. I really enjoyed it for the most part, but ... well I'll leave my comments for when you've finished it :)

Good luck with all your reading and congrats on the review!

Glad you enjoyed Sherlock Holmes. I have four stories from that collection on audio cd and looking forward to listening to them soon. Looking forward to your thoughts on Dracula when you get back to it. I really enjoyed it for the most part, but ... well I'll leave my comments for when you've finished it :)

Good luck with all your reading and congrats on the review!

Not to sound presumptuous but I've got a feeling you might be hinting at how slow it is in the middle. If not then my apologies; that's my opinion so far at any rate.

Thank you very much, and good look with your reading too. :smile2:

Spot on! :)

I found that; just after it leaves us on a cliff-hanger with the situation of Jonathan, and goes to Mina on her visit to Lucy. It's picked up a little recently though, when Lucy is taken ill and is in the care of Dr Van Helsing. That's as far as I've managed to get so far, though, but I'm hoping the rest is enjoyable and I'm looking forward to getting back to it soon.

Okay, so I finished Great Expectations by Charles Dickens at the weekend, and I think it's a tribute to how much I enjoyed it, that I finished it in a day or so. I don't have time to write a proper review at the moment - indeed I might at some point this week - but I will say it was utterly engaging, and Dickens has a knack with characterisation. I mean, the plot was excellent, with clever twists and turns, but his characters are just wonderful, and are what made the book for me. From the eerie, miserable Miss Havisham who just seems to be gradually decaying in her old house, to the kind-hearted loveable Joe, who has to be one of my favourite characters in the whole text. He's always there for Pip and does his best for him in a tough environment where his wife is ultimately in charge. Then there's Pip himself, who at times I sympathised with, but at others I found him a rather frustrating character who often displays a selfish side. Then there's the host of other characters and different personalities we're treated to, from the convict Pip meets on the moors that terrifies the life out of him, to Herbert Pocket who befriends Pip when he comes to London. Ultimately, then, this coming-of-age novel was fantastic - and I was glad I had the opportunity to follow Pip on his journey of 'great expectations.'

5/5.

Reading Agatha Christie's The Body in the Library at the moment, for my crime fiction module. We don't study this one quite for a few weeks yet, but I thought it sounded good, and I've never read any Christie, so I reasoned why not.

Synopsis:

It's seven in the morning. The Bantrys wake to find the body of a young woman in their library. She is wearing evening dress and heavy make-up, which is now smeared across her cheeks. But who is she? How did she get there? And what is the connection with another dead girl, whose charred remains are later discovered in an abandoned quarry? The respectable Bantrys invite Miss Marple to solve the mystery! before tongues start to wag.

Anyone read any Christie - indeed Miss Marple or any of her others? Quite looking forward to this.

Edited by Ben

Okay, so I finished Great Expectations by Charles Dickens at the weekend, and I think it's a tribute to how much I enjoyed it, that I finished it in a day or so. I don't have time to write a proper review at the moment - indeed I might at some point this week - but I will say it was utterly engaging, and Dickens has a knack with characterisation. I mean, the plot was excellent, with clever twists and turns, but his characters are just wonderful, and are what made the book for me. From the eerie, miserable Miss Havisham who just seems to be gradually decaying in her old house, to the kind-hearted loveable Joe, who has to be one of my favourite characters in the whole text. He's always there for Pip and does his best for him in a tough environment where his wife is ultimately in charge. Then there's Pip himself, who at times I sympathised with, but at others I found him a rather frustrating character who often displays a selfish side. Then there's the host of other characters and different personalities we're treated to, from the convict Pip meets on the moors that terrifies the life out of him, to Herbert Pocket who befriends Pip when he comes to London. Ultimately, then, this coming-of-age novel was fantastic - and I was glad I had the opportunity to follow Pip on his journey of 'great expectations.'

5/5.

I really must try a Dickens at some point, I wonder if this would be a good one? :-))

I really must try a Dickens at some point, I wonder if this would be a good one? :-))

I'm far from a Dickens expert, this being the only one I've read, but it certainly seems as good of a place as any other to start with: I enjoyed it immensely. Poppyshake has it down as her favourite and Willoyd suggested it as a good first read, so I personally think you've got a safe bet with Great Expectations. :lol:

Rattled through The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie, and finished it during a free hour at unI'versity today.

Thoughts:

The Body in the Library was my first offering from Agatha Christie, and thus my introduction to the world of the detective Miss Marple. Now, I'll be honest: I think maybe if this wasn't on my reading list for my crime fiction module, I may not have ever picked it up - or even any of Christie's novels. As it happens, I'm delighted I did, as the experience was most definitely an enjoyable one. The story of the novel takes place surrounding the events of the discovery of a body in the Bantry's library, one morning when they wake. Dolly Bantry calls in her friend Miss Marple to work the case with a fresh eye, as the police make their enquiries. The question is who was the young girl found struggled in their library? When the charred remains of another young girl are found in an abandoned quarry, the police on the case realise they have a real mystery on their hands. Interviewing numerous suspects, and chasing up leads, they must untangle a real web of lies and betrayals in order to find the murderer - before it's too late. Miss Marple, eagle-eyed and sharp-witted, lends a helping hand - but will it be enough? Read this fantastic murder mystery to find out for yourselves.

5/5.

Edited by Ben

I'm far from a Dickens expert, this being the only one I've read, but it certainly seems as good of a place as any other to start with: I enjoyed it immensely. Poppyshake has it down as her favourite and Willoyd suggested it as a good first read, so I personally think you've got a safe bet with Great Expectations. :lol:

Thanks Ben, it's going on the wish list now! :-)

Thanks Ben, it's going on the wish list now! :-)

Yay! Let me know when you get around to it, and I'll let you know how I get on with Bleak House when I get around to that - if you're interested. :lol:

Spent the best part of my evening deciding what to read next - not actually reading of course, that's far too logical. As I'm on top of my university reading list at the moment, I've decided to go for a recreational read in Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.

Synopsis:

Set before and during the Great War, Birdsong captures the drama of that era on both a national and a personal scale. It is the story of Stephen, a young Englishman, who arrives in Amiens in 1910. Over the course of the novel he suffers a series of traumatic experiences, from the clandestine love affair that tears apart the family with whom he lives, to the unprecedented experience of the war itself.

Looks fantastic, and another I've always wanted to read, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy.

I changed my mind and decided to pick up Dracula again, in an attempt not to end up abandoning it. I've had a good chunk out of it today, and now have about a hundred pages left. I'll save my thoughts until I've completed it but it's certainly starting to pick up pace again after a slow, plot-building middle. I now appreciate more how it's started to come together, and how the different threads and different points of view begin to merge for give the characters a fuller picture of what's going on.

Enough of that, back to it I go! :D

Busy reading day today, and I must say I am a little behind on my reviews. I want to put something down this weekend - at some stage - about all the books and stories I've finished, and I also want to write-up some of my thoughts into a couple of proper reviews - first for Great Expectations, and now for Dracula which I have finished just this moment. Today I've also read two Edgar Allan Poe tales, 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue', and 'The Purloined Letter' which were both enjoyable. I also read, a few days ago, Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream which I thought was fantastic.

In any case, on with Sebastian Faulks' Birdsong for the moment, and you can expect my other reviews and thoughts soon enough.

Ben

You are just a WHIZ in here ,the number of books you plow through ! Great descriptions regarding Great Expectations. I also think it's been my favorite so far. I still remember poor Pip's cranky old sister,thumping on him all the time about this and that ,and her poor husband with the patience of a saint .

Dickens is an interesting old character isn't he ? to see pictures of him, he looks sorta like a "stick in the mud",but to hear him describe in great detail each person in his books ,it's just a riot. He doesn't really look like he'd be as funny as he is .

Ben

You are just a WHIZ in here ,the number of books you plow through ! Great descriptions regarding Great Expectations. I also think it's been my favorite so far. I still remember poor Pip's cranky old sister,thumping on him all the time about this and that ,and her poor husband with the patience of a saint .

Dickens is an interesting old character isn't he ? to see pictures of him, he looks sorta like a "stick in the mud",but to hear him describe in great detail each person in his books ,it's just a riot. He doesn't really look like he'd be as funny as he is .

I've been lucky that I've had such a good start to the reading year - my mojo has kicked off in full force it seems. I don't normally start so well, so at this rate I'm well on track to read way more than I've ever managed to do read in a previous year. I suppose university helps; the amount of books we get through on my course in such a short space of time surprises me sometimes.

It's funny you should mention this - I was thinking it during the celebrations for his bi-centenary the other day. He looks like such a plain fella', but his writing says so much more for him. I guess the old cliché that appearances can be deceiving is true here. There's a rumour that he was paid by the word with his instalments, which would account for his great, detailed descriptions. Yet to have that word-smithery in the first place is marvellous. It reminds me of something Stephen Fry once said about himself: that if something that could be said in one word, could be instead said in ten, then he would happily oblige. Seems Dickens was of the same opinion.

Wow, Ben, you're on fire! What a great reading list you've had going. :) I look forward to your thoughts - I haven't read those particular Poe stories or AMSD.

For the moment, no doubt the pace will slide off eventually, I can't be consistent for a long period of time! Ah, I haven't really read much Shakespeare before, so I can't compare it to his other works, but I did enjoy A Midsummer Night's Dream. My thoughts on everything will be up tonight, I should imagine. :smile2:

Oh also, before I forget, I am definitely reading Catch-22 in the next couple of months!

Edited by Ben

Ben

thanks for that bit of info regarding Dickens possibly being paid by the word. That is the line of business I need to be in,because I am quite a wordy person myself . I doubt anyone would pay me for my words though . :)

He definitely doesn't fit the way he looks with the personality that comes out in his books. I think the funniest one I have read so far is the Pickwick Papers, just because of the number of characters in it . It is HUGE and describes probably hundreds of people throughout the book . He must have been quite the people-watcher to be able to come up with so many descriptions of so many people,none quite the same as the others .

Ben

thanks for that bit of info regarding Dickens possibly being paid by the word. That is the line of business I need to be in,because I am quite a wordy person myself . I doubt anyone would pay me for my words though . :)

No problem. I haven't actually looked into it, and it's probably just a myth, but my tutor dropped it into conversation and I reasoned that it would make sense. Oh, I don't know about that, you're an interesting and funny person so I don't see why not. :smile2:

He definitely doesn't fit the way he looks with the personality that comes out in his books. I think the funniest one I have read so far is the Pickwick Papers, just because of the number of characters in it . It is HUGE and describes probably hundreds of people throughout the book . He must have been quite the people-watcher to be able to come up with so many descriptions of so many people,none quite the same as the others .

I haven't read The Pickwick Papers but a friend of mine has, and she really enjoyed it, so when I do get around to reading more Dickens it'll certainly be high up my list. He definitely has a talent for characterisation - that was one of the main things I enjoyed about Great Expectations. His different range of characters are what made the book so enjoyable for me.