Vodkafan's 2012 Reading List and Genre Challenge

vodkafan

Haha you lost me talking about Ovid's metawotsit but I will certainly read the book. I know I will like all her short stories so I will leave them till later and get a novel.

Don't worry, I'm clueless about classics too, and had no idea what the myth was about until I looked it up after I read the book! I've done that with all the books in that series I've read. :lol:

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished Resistance by Anita Shreve. Was OK but nothing special at all and none of the characters interested me very much. From what others have said I won't go out of my way to read anything else by this author.

On the way back from parking my car (Charmer will know what I am talking about) I passed a couple of charity shops this morning and weakened so I went inside on a focussed search for anything by Ali Smith; didn't find any but came back with these:

A Gentleman Of Fortune (Another Dido Kent 1800s mystery)

Things My Girlfriend And I have Argued About (Lad Lit, will do for the genre challenge)

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (an attempt to get Small Son to read something)

Truth Or Dare (YA novel)

Things My Girlfriend And I have Argued About (Lad Lit, will do for the genre challenge)

I really enjoyed this book, it made me laugh out loud quite a few times! Hope you enjoy it too :)

I really enjoyed this book, it made me laugh out loud quite a few times! Hope you enjoy it too :)

Thanks Ooshie, I will be scheduling this one in for June. I read a couple of pages at random and it did seem very funny.

I've put Girl Meets Boy on my wish list too as I've heard Claire rave about it so often, it's better be good!! ;)

My will has broken and I have to do as chalie has done :lol: I've heard Claire recommend it so many times, and it was just recently when I noticed somewhere on poppyshake's thread that she too enjoyed a Smith novel, and now VF has gone to the other side as well... To be honest, the title of Girl Meets Boy sounds too chick-littish to me and it's always put me off before. But I'll be damned if I let that get in the way in the future.

And btw, Ali Smith is a name I'd never heard before, not until I joined the forum :) So it'll be another BCF victory if I end up liking it! :D

Frankie, don't be put off the title, there is nothing chick-littish about this book. I'm getting a bit worried about how much I recommend this book, as not everyone can love it, and I maybe pushing my luck!

Yep, I've by now figured that it can't be chick-lit because you are recommending it to such a wide range of people whose preferences vary so much :) Don't worry at all, of course you want to recommend your favorite books to as many people as possible, just remember that you are not responsible if they don't happen to enjoy the novel in the same way. I'm sure you've also read at least one book recommended by some other member from here, and didn't think as much of the book as that other person did. But do you hold an eternal, passionate grudge? I don't think you do :D And if you do? Uh oh, I'm very afraid and shall not recommend anything to you in the future! :D

I am looking in every charity shop for Ali Smith books but have not yet found one. That is always the sign of a great writer that nobody wants to part with. I have never found a Jack Vance book in a charity shop either so there ya go

I am looking in every charity shop for Ali Smith books but have not yet found one. That is always the sign of a great writer that nobody wants to part with. I have never found a Jack Vance book in a charity shop either so there ya go

I did once see a copy of a jack Vance book in a charity shop, but when I went back to purchase it the next day, it was already gone. I just recently bought myself a new copy instead from BD.

Edited by Devi

I did once see a copy of a jack Vance book in a charity shop, but when I went back to purchase it the next day, it was already gone. I just recently bought myself a new copy instead from BD.

Ooh pray do tell Devi, which book did you buy? And what made you want that one so much?

The Lions Of Al- Rassan

Guy Gavril Kay

This book had me a little lost at the beginning because I was expecting something else, some sort of alternative history.

Actually, the book is set on another planet with two moons. Buried deep in the book is a very short passage that hints that men originally came from another world somewhere out in the stars. So you could presume that this is the very far flung future. But it doesn't really matter.

However, there are no aliens, the planet is occupied only by humans who vary only in skin and eye colour, and the flora and fauna seem to be the normal everyday sort. The technology is at a medieval level with horses and bladed steel weapons. You don't hear about the whole world, just one part of it.

Where the action happens, the author has used The Iberian Peninsula (Spain) at the time of the Moors as a template. So it is sort of "not Spain", joined to "not France" to the north and to the south across the sea is "not Arabia". This land is a volatile cockpit occupied by kingdoms belonging to the two major religions, which are the equivalent of Christians and Muslims. A third major religion, tolerated and at times persecuted by the other two, is equivalent to the Jews in our own history. Get the drift?

The authors interest and purpose, in my opinion, is to highlight the consequences of religious intolerance but also to show how it can be overcome on a personal level. The main protagonists of the novel all like and respect each other but they must choose sides.

So, how about the story?

I liked the story, which moved along at quite a good pace. The first few pages of the first chapter were a little baffling with all the made up words for religions and places and kingdoms needing to be got out the way.

I was glad that the author used relatively few characters to tell his story, that worked well IMO. Also I was glad that he didn't try to make it an "epic" and stretch it out into a trilogy- that would have got unbearably boring. The author was perhaps just a little too in love with his characters, as they seemed to lead charmed lives and only two of them got killed .

I felt sad that Ragosa couldn't have survived as it was, as a blend of the best of the two ideologies.

(note to karsa:)

I liked it better than the King Arthur one.

Comparisons

Karsa is Guy Gavril Kay's champion on BCF, whereas I think Jack Vance is the Bee's Knees . So how do I think this compares?

My first thought was to compare Al- Rassan to the story of Llyoness, which also has warring kingdoms. In my opinion the Jack Vance fantasy is superior . However on second thought this was not fair, as Llyoness is only the first part of a trilogy and has at least 3 times as many characters with magic and myth thrown in, so is richer.

A more fitting comparison may be the planet Tschai in Vances Planet of Adventure series, with it's 4 alien races and humans (modified and unmodified ) all living together . If Vance had wrote Al-Rassan that's what he would have come up with, he would have made the different factions all aliens to maximise the differences between them.

Strange review, mate. It's a real shame you've decided to compare Kay and Vance that way, cos I know no-one compares to Vance in your eyes. It feels to me like we read two completely different books. Still, at least you gave it a try.

Strange review, mate. It's a real shame you've decided to compare Kay and Vance that way, cos I know no-one compares to Vance in your eyes. It feels to me like we read two completely different books. Still, at least you gave it a try.

Oh. Why did you feel it was strange? About Jack Vance, I felt it would be good to compare them because ..well, I don't really know why now. It seemed a good idea at the time. You don't have to take any notice of that.

About Al-Rassan, I thought it was a strange book in itself because it was fantasy, but in other ways not really many fantasy elements at all. So that kept jumping out at me all through the book.

Maybe I will prefer one of his other ones?

Edited by vodkafan

Oh. Why did you feel it was strange? About Jack Vance, I felt it would be good to compare them because ..well, I don't really know why now. It seemed a good idea at the time. You don't have to take any notice of that.

About Al-Rassan, I thought it was a strange book in itself because it was fantasy, but in other ways not really many fantasy elements at all. So that kept jumping out at me all through the book.

Maybe I will prefer one of his other ones?

Strange only in the comparison to Vance, in that it was never going to defeat the mighty Vance for you. It'd be like me comparing other fantasy books to Steven Erikson's - nothing would beat him, cos nothing else comes close, imo :lol: Since I finished his series everything else has seemed a bit ordinary (which is probably why I like Kay so much, because it's a different kind of fantasy).

I think maybe it's the sub-genre that's the issue - because I'm guessing you were hoping for more traditional fantasy, as opposed to historical fantasy - and whether he should just write straight historical fiction, or pure fantasy instead. I was chatting with a mate who studied Ancient Rome and Byzantium a few months back, soon after I read Kay's Sarantine Mosaic. He'd tried to read them, too, but because he was so well-versed in the actual history of the period he really disliked Kay's work. Personally I like what he does with it, and I love his writing, but I can understand why people who want pure history, or people who want pure fantasy, would be disappointed.

I'm guessing you probably won't enjoy his other books, if you didn't like this one. I'm currently weighing up whether to start Weaveworld or Lyonesse ...

Yes maybe that was it; it was neither one thing nor another. But in another way I can see why GGK did not put more fantasy elements into the story- it would have just been window dressing, his thing was in the realtionships between the characters.

I do hope that eventually you will read Lyonesse (knew I had spelt it wrong, it didn't look right ) . It is a different kind of fantasy again, not like LOTR or that genre. More like a fairy tale, or Princess Bride, something like that. But lots of heroes and maidens and villains.

Ooh pray do tell Devi, which book did you buy? And what made you want that one so much?

I'm bad at remembering names, but it was recommended to me as a must read for a newbie to Vance. It's in my reading list blog if you care to look, I do remember Frankie saying you would approve! :lol:

I would look and tell you, but I am currently out and about, and browsing on this phone is rather hard.

Edited by Devi

I see that you have The Dying Earth in one of it's versions. I hope you like it!!

I liked the cover of the older one I saw originally better than the one I bought off bd. Once I get on my pc I will link what covers I saw.

Have you seen or read the one called Songs of the dying earth? Its a book full of many authors side stories from the original book, and was written in Vance's honour I believe. I picked it up awhile ago, and wrote the authors who contributed in my blog if you are interested.

Edited by Devi

I liked the cover of the older one I saw originally better than the one I bought off bd. Once I get on my pc I will link what covers I saw.

Have you seen or read the one called Songs of the dying earth? Its a book full of many authors side stories from the original book, and was written in Vance's honour I believe. I picked it up awhile ago, and wrote the authors who contributed in my blog if you are interested.

No haven't read that one. I will have a read of your blog again. I did see RR Martin's name, I must have missed the rest.

I do hope that eventually you will read Lyonesse (knew I had spelt it wrong, it didn't look right ) . It is a different kind of fantasy again, not like LOTR or that genre. More like a fairy tale, or Princess Bride, something like that. But lots of heroes and maidens and villains.

Well I chose Weaveworld this time. I'll read Lyonesse at some point, seeing as it's on my Kindle. The problem for me is that the Tales of the Dying Earth books have left me kind of cold. I enjoyed the first book of short stories, but I found the second book a bit tedious, and I've tried three times now to start Cugel's Saga and given up. I think it's partially because I find the character of Cugel intensely annoying, and partially because I don't like Vance's writing style in those books, so it's put me off a bit for now. I will get to them, though. :smile:

No haven't read that one. I will have a read of your blog again. I did see RR Martin's name, I must have missed the rest.

I just doubled checked and it looks like I didn't write the list after all, sorry about that. Here is a wiki link with all the authors and the short stories they wrote. I believe it was R.R. Martin who had started the whole thing and edited it, which is why he is always mentioned as the author.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_the_Dying_Earth

Edited by Devi

After whizzing through 6 books this month so far I have been brought up short by the seventh- I am having unexpected difficulties with The Naked Civil Servant by Quentin Crisp. It is only a slim book but I can only read little bits at a time because something about the man's writing irritates me; I think it is because I suspect he is making a lot of it up.